FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CLOUD COMPUTING

rlashares
browsing on d internet ,i recently came across an article on cloud computing.. a concept google intends to introduce, whr in all yer data is stored on servers... n all(almost) yer apps have web ui... its like a return to mainframe era... sounds exciting.. wat do u think..??
4got to mention wat CLOUD means-- it refers to d fact that all terminals wud b connected to each other thru a central server... so 1 can log onto his a/c w/o from ne computer around d world.. so comps r spread like clouds.. u c(here use) ones nearest to u!!!
Arno v. Lumig
The concept is great, but the internet connections are not fast enough to do that smoothly.

Also please use normal English in your post. Capital letters, punctuation, don't use abbreviations like "d", "n", "u", "a/c" etcetera. It is really horrible to read.
ssthanapati
Great concept. but not that great wen d internet connection fails or u have a slow connection. And ya the huge internet bills that are to follow
minty
I don't think it is a very practical concept. I have a couple of reasons of why I dislike this idea:

Who is held accountable if something goes wrong?
The servers where your documents are held are destroyed and the backups are corrupted. Who is the finger pointed at, and how can you put a price on intangible objects? Most companies have a disclaimer that they are not responsible for lost/damaged/corrupted files for things that are beyond their control. IE: Natural disasters, a hole in the OS that has not been publicized, a hole in an application, etc.

How can you ensure that your private/personal information is not being read by the hosting providers?
Just b/c the provider says that they will not read your information or that it is encrypted, how can you physically verify this? Sure it may hold up in court that they violated their policy, however, the damage is already done if your company has a trade secret that has been made public!

These are my main concerns with this. I much rather host my documents and apps onsite where I KNOW they are less accessible to the public, and I KNOW who to blame if an incident occurs (me).

--minty
ammonkc
Google's new app engine looks like a nice push in this direction. I'm sure its more exciting for programmers/developers like me, but I think its the start of something big.
viraj
minty wrote:
I don't think it is a very practical concept. I have a couple of reasons of why I dislike this idea:

Who is held accountable if something goes wrong?
The servers where your documents are held are destroyed and the backups are corrupted. Who is the finger pointed at, and how can you put a price on intangible objects? Most companies have a disclaimer that they are not responsible for lost/damaged/corrupted files for things that are beyond their control. IE: Natural disasters, a hole in the OS that has not been publicized, a hole in an application, etc.

How can you ensure that your private/personal information is not being read by the hosting providers?
Just b/c the provider says that they will not read your information or that it is encrypted, how can you physically verify this? Sure it may hold up in court that they violated their policy, however, the damage is already done if your company has a trade secret that has been made public!

These are my main concerns with this. I much rather host my documents and apps onsite where I KNOW they are less accessible to the public, and I KNOW who to blame if an incident occurs (me).

--minty

I can understand your concerns about the security and the continuity of the services.

It is one of ther very essential criteria whenever we are deciding for any 3rd party vendor.

But with the IT and Telco infrastructure becoming robust and secured day by day I perrsonally believe that cloud will be the next big IT wave of this century.

Just imagine the flexibility it will offer to an induvidual.

There will be soon virtual offices and in future the cloud will also become device independent.
hunnyhiteshseth
I guess its still difficult to say whether cloud computing is really going to be 'the next big thing' or just a passing fad. There are still lot of issues to be reolved and discussed. One being as mentioned, security, other being inter-operability and compatibility with existing applications. Similarly, lot more.

But at the same time, erceived benefits it may provide by eliminating real hardware cost( like that of HDD etc.), ability to provide 'software as service' etc. make it a very exciting technology.

Lets see what happens to cloud while reminding our self not to go to cloud 9! Laughing Laughing Razz
menino
Actually, the concept of cloud computing is really very good. I am fortunate to work in a cloud project at the moment, and soon it should be finished.

The Idea of a cloud, is that all the servers are redundant, and not transparent to the users.
In case one server goes down, another will come up, and the applications that the users are using in the cloud run seamlessly.

Before in the cloud, you had just clustered email servers, but the new concept of cloud computing is that there is an array of different servers clustered to provide many services, other than just email.

The applications include exchange email, or just email, sharepoint resourcces and sites, office communications, chat, etc...
Cloud computing also includes Disaster recovery, so clustered servers are actually in a different location, incase something happens to the servers in a particular data centre.
Of couse if the whole world is affected, or the country for that matter - I dont think you want to be on the internet playing games or reading emails. Laughing
weableandbob
The way I see it, Cloud Computing will never replace full downloadable/installable programs, but it's a great alternative if your normal programs aren't working for some reason
welshsteve
Cloud computing is all very well, but the data risks are far greater than people are willing to admit in my opinion. I like the idea of my own data being on a physical drive I can put my hands on, and not on some random server somewhere else in the world.