FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet War on the Church of Scientology

ganesh
I came across this piece of news which has been on the front page of Digg! for the last few days:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080126/tc_pcworld/141839

Apparently, an Internet group 'Anonymous' has decided to launch a full-fledged attach on the Church of Scientology, which does seem to have its share of skeletons in the cupboard.

This war was ignited by the organization's efforts to censor a propaganda video for scientology by Tom Cruise. Though the video was removed from YouTube due to copyright concerns, it is not difficult to find a mirror on Gawker.com website. I happened to see it, and also some related videos of Tom Cruise (his interview on the Oprah Winfrey and Dave Letterman shows), and I have to admit that if Scientology can make a person behave as he did, then it is really scary indeed! What do you feel about the same?

Speaking of the Tom Cruise video, there have been countless spoofs of the same by so many comedians on YouTube. Check them out if you need a good laugh Smile
liljp617
It's 4Chan as I've been told :O ..the Internet site that is.
MaxStirner
I have a distaste for sects of any kind and Scientology is no exception. I have met a few ex-scientologists and their experiences only reinforce my distaste for such organizations. It is beyond me why a sane adult would want to forfeit not only his possessions but also control over his own life in such a way but I'm sure therapists or psychologists have adequate explanations for this type of behavior. Some countries are much more distrustful of this "church" and at least here in Germany they are on the watch-list of the Verfassungsschutz (government office which investigates individuals and organizations which actively negate / undermine the constitution).
bigdan
That lot are nuttier than a chocolate bar full of nuts! Laughing

Seriously, they are a scary mob to deal with. You can't say anything wrong against them, or they'll sue. Yet I don't see the Catholics or Muslims, or any other religion, suing the pants off people.

That proves to me they're not a proper religion. It's a cult. A very scary cult that should be avoided at all costs.
Shewolf
A scary mob of people indeed. Yet quite facinating, I mean, how easy people can be made into puppets.
Well, I hope people listen to these warnings, instead of joining them. The only thing which can make an organization stronger is more people, and more money of course. - and it does not seem that they lack the later.
prole
I just read those articles linked from a 1991 cover story on time.com about Scientology's assembling "a star-studded roster of followers in Hollywood by aggressively recruiting and regally pampering them at the church's Celebrity Centers, a chain of clubhouses that offer expensive counseling and career guidance. Adherents include screen idols Tom Cruise and John Travolta, actresses Kirstie Alley, Mimi Rogers and Anne Archer..."

Germany's Battle Against Scientology

The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power
LumberJack
Is it true they infiltrated the US government, or is that just conspiracy theories?
paul_indo
I remember being invited into one of their "reading rooms", I think they call them, when I was about 18. Even at that age it seemed like a pile of delusional gibberish.

I am amazed that someone like Tom Cruise would fall for such dribble.
ganesh
It is a matter of catching the 'victim' at the right moment in his life, when he is mentally weak, and unable to analyze situations fully in a proper manner. At this juncture, Scientologists step in and start ruining him financially bit-by-bit, and the victim doesn't even realize this (he think those guys are helping him). On top of it, the Time magazine report suggests that they are a pyramid scheme too. That makes them really bad, joining the leagues of Amway and Quixtar. If only people decided to make a sane and honest living.....
Bikerman
ganesh wrote:
It is a matter of catching the 'victim' at the right moment in his life, when he is mentally weak, and unable to analyze situations fully in a proper manner. At this juncture, Scientologists step in and start ruining him financially bit-by-bit, and the victim doesn't even realize this (he think those guys are helping him). On top of it, the Time magazine report suggests that they are a pyramid scheme too. That makes them really bad, joining the leagues of Amway and Quixtar. If only people decided to make a sane and honest living.....

Hmm..does this account for the number of 'stars' that are converts? (Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Priscilla Presley, John Travolta, Kirstie Alley to name but some).
(Don't misunderstand me - I'm no advocate of scientology, just the reverse. I'm not sure, however, that we can make simple generalisations about the people who join).
prole
Very Happy just look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41k-IJxPENc

exactly as when the first time I watched that tom cruise video I thought "WTF?!*!!*?", except that then this time I laughed out loud good after done watching. this is one damn awesome parody.

he also mocked the anonymous group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATZvRyB364s