FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VGA cable shielding?

Donutey
I've got a new monitor, and when connected to my desktop with DVI it's perfectly alright, however with the VGA connection on my laptop I get weird distortions and, for lack of a better description, the screen twitches. I think it probably has something to do with the extremely cheap (probably insufficiently shielded) VGA cable that came with the monitor, due to the power plug and disc drive being right near the VGA cable.

So before I go out a buy a nice triple-shielded vga cable, can anyone confirm that my suspicions are correct?
IceCreamTruck
I worked for a computer repair shop...

We had a huge LCD monitor almost 40 inches it was crazy cool, but it had one problem. The screen twitched like you have described. It was awesome, so bright, so clear ... and so much twitching!!

I would like to tell you that we found a solution to the problem, but we really did a lot of research on the monitor and everyone secretly tried his own "way" of trying to love this beast back into working order, but the twitch remained.

I am going to follow this topic because I want to see if anyone has a solution. But I happen to know for a fact that beautiful monitor was dead despite everyone wanting to be the hero, but let's hope that yours is not also kaput.

Things to try: hook another monitor up, and if it twitches then it's not the monitor. hook the monitor up to another computer. if it twitches then the monitor is probably broken unless you can stop it using the controls on the monitor.

Oh, wow I just now realized who was sending the post!!! lol, how you doing dude?!?!?!
fadirocks
ah did you try all available frequencies?
Donutey
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I worked for a computer repair shop...

We had a huge LCD monitor almost 40 inches it was crazy cool, but it had one problem. The screen twitched like you have described. It was awesome, so bright, so clear ... and so much twitching!!

I would like to tell you that we found a solution to the problem, but we really did a lot of research on the monitor and everyone secretly tried his own "way" of trying to love this beast back into working order, but the twitch remained.

I am going to follow this topic because I want to see if anyone has a solution. But I happen to know for a fact that beautiful monitor was dead despite everyone wanting to be the hero, but let's hope that yours is not also kaput.

Things to try: hook another monitor up, and if it twitches then it's not the monitor. hook the monitor up to another computer. if it twitches then the monitor is probably broken unless you can stop it using the controls on the monitor.

Oh, wow I just now realized who was sending the post!!! lol, how you doing dude?!?!?!

Pretty good, although I've been slacking off frihost a bit recently...

The weird thing is that under Ubuntu the monitor is perfectly fine hooked up on my laptop (no distortion/twitching), but under Vista its headache inducing horrible. So I don't think its purely a hardware problem (although twitching gets worse when the optical drive spins up).

On the note of frequency, I think that might be the root of the problem, but I have absolutely no idea how to fix it. The Intel integrated video card driver in Vista doesn't (to my knowledge) allow custom freq. settings. I should note that the frequencies chosen by Ubuntu and Vista are different (around 60hz).

Thanks for the help.
Donutey
I think I just figured it out, for some reason the intel integrated graphics detected the monitor as an old samsung CRT. I'll uninstall the monitor and then get the (hopefully now released) vista drivers for my monitor, and see how it goes.
triniDj27
well, did it work?

If it did, I'd like to know.