FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Please review my church site

guitarcrazy087
here's the link. it's a church site i'm making for my church and would like some constructive criticism. please stat whatever you think about it, good or bad. not all the content and pages are up, but the layout is done, and there should be enough there to judge from. thanks so much! Very Happy
thewebkid
I think it looks cool. Although I would probably add some more flavor to the first page with some photos of members along with some info about how different your church may be from other churches. Also, having to scroll in the middle to see the rest of the info might not be a good idea. For one you can't really tell that you need to scroll in order to see it. Overall I think it looks good.
guitarcrazy087
hey there! thanks for the post! yeah, i have plans for at least a picture of our pastor on the homepage, and a background image for the homepage aswell. yeah, about the scrolling, basically you can scroll wherever there's not a header or menu. i think i might be able to make it so you could scroll even on the menus but i'm not sure how i'd do that with the header. you can also scroll on the sides of the page that don't contain anything.

Quote:
For one you can't really tell that you need to scroll in order to see it.

doesn't the scroll bar tell you that there's more content though?

and i like your idea about telling what's diff about our church. i'll try and do something with that as well. thanks so much!

Very Happy
thewebkid
Yeah your right it does show a scroll bar, but I think it would be better without the scrolling and implementing a sticky footer. Also it's best not to place a picture of your pastor on your church website here is a link with some good tips on building a successful church website:

http://www.greatchurchwebsites.org/top_tips.php

That will help you with a lot of questions. That's what I used to start designing one of my churches websites:

http://adrian-rodriguez.net/kononia-imboden

It's not finished yet, but I used some of those tips to design it. It should be a big help to you.

God Bless!
Donutey
It looks pretty good, although I would make one easy fix. Change the text color so that it has more contrast with the white background (ie make it black or almost black) so that it is easier to read.
guitarcrazy087
thank you all for you time to help me out.

Quote:
Yeah your right it does show a scroll bar, but I think it would be better without the scrolling and implementing a sticky footer.

ok, what do you mean by it being better with out scrolling? how would you see the content if you couldn't scroll? and would you mind telling me what a sticky footer is? lol, it sounds funny.

i'll check out the tips too. thanks for the link!

Very Happy

EDIT: well, i looked at the tips site and found that i wouldn't agree with a lot of what they said, but some of it was useful so thanks anyway. they never really said why you shouldn't put a pic of your pastor up though. anyway...they also said that you shouldn't link to your host, but the site is hosted under the district united methodist church website and in the license agreement they say you have to have a link like in my footer. anyway, thanks again!
Very Happy
thewebkid
I think one major reason you shouldn't put a picture of your pastor on the first page of your site is because you don't want to give the idea that the pastor is the most important part about your church. You want to show your members, because you want to let non-christians that are potentially viewing your website to feel more comfortable with it. It may be a little intimidating to see a pastor on a front page.

Also, with what I said about the scroll bars, It would be great just to get rid of the frame type look and just go with a regular html page look.
guitarcrazy087
ok, i see your point about not putting a picture of our pastor up there now.

Quote:
Also, with what I said about the scroll bars, It would be great just to get rid of the frame type look and just go with a regular html page look.

you mean make it full screen?

anyway, thanks so much for all your suggestions!
Very Happy
thewebkid
Yeah that's what I meant. I just couldn't get the words out. lol Sorry about that.
guitarcrazy087
lol, no problem Very Happy
melissareich
I think it's a little to plain, too much white. But I think it gets the information needed across. I would make the graphic header more interesting.
benjad
pretty good looking.

- the scroll bars are not there.. didn't know there was more there.

- change the footer to contact information

- Web is for advertising. Where is your church? How can I get there? What does is look like?

Otherwise, is very plain and clean... I like it.
guitarcrazy087
thank you all for your input. i currently don't have much time to work on it, but i'll deff take into consideration what you said. i like a lot of your ideas. thanks again! Very Happy
soulery
Looks like a cool design. But I think the page should be a bit more "flavorful."