FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

News Companies

Afaceinthematrix
This is annoying. I live in Southern California, United States and we rarely see rain. We've been in a drought for a long time and rain is simply a rarity. It finally rains today and that's all that they're talking about on the news. No matter what channel you turn to, all I've been hearing about all day is this rain. How can this make the news? It rained a month ago and they did the same thing. It rained last year also, and they did the same thing. They interviewed some kids who were talking about how afraid they were.... Why do news companies have to get a story out of everything?
Magicman
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Why do news companies have to get a story out of everything?

Thats how they make money. The more exciting they make every little bit of news, the more people watch and therefore the more money the station makes. Personally I'd rather hear about rain after a drought than have every other news story be about some murder or disaster.
Alaskacameradude
I used to work for a news station. They make money by measuring how many viewers watch their station (the more people that watch, the more money they can charge for airtime for commercials. Because if you are a business trying to advertise, you'd rather have 1 million people watching your commercial than 1 thousand. That's why Super Bowl commercials are so expensive.) Anyways, that's kind of a simplified explaination, but during "sweeps" or "the book" when they are measuring viewers, news stations will do almost anything to get viewers. Remember, the more stories they have of local interest, the more people will watch, making them more money. So sometimes, things that seem a little silly will make air.
Afaceinthematrix
Alaskacameradude wrote:
I used to work for a news station. They make money by measuring how many viewers watch their station (the more people that watch, the more money they can charge for airtime for commercials. Because if you are a business trying to advertise, you'd rather have 1 million people watching your commercial than 1 thousand. That's why Super Bowl commercials are so expensive.) Anyways, that's kind of a simplified explaination, but during "sweeps" or "the book" when they are measuring viewers, news stations will do almost anything to get viewers. Remember, the more stories they have of local interest, the more people will watch, making them more money. So sometimes, things that seem a little silly will make air.

Yeah, I know they have to sell stories. I'm just shocked that they can sell rain as long as they can. Do you know if news companies ever prompt people into saying things (like when those kids said they were "so scared" when a little rain was coming down)?
Davidgr1200
I guess this one of the reasons I only listen to the news once a day at the most. It gets VERY repetitive if you listen to several newscasts. One of the worst things is hearing "Yet another murder has been committed" 10 times in one day when they mean exactly the same murder!
rvec
Davidgr1200 wrote:
I guess this one of the reasons I only listen to the news once a day at the most. It gets VERY repetitive if you listen to several newscasts. One of the worst things is hearing "Yet another murder has been committed" 10 times in one day when they mean exactly the same murder!

LOL it would've been worse if they where talking about a different murder each time Razz
whitehole
News by definition is something out of the ordinary so if it raining is out of the ordinary then it's expected that it will be in the news.
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
They interviewed some kids who were talking about how afraid they were....

Forget the rain, that's definitely the newsworthy part! Kids being scared of rain! Its hilarious and sad at the same time.

You can't blame the news companies for having nothing worthwhile to report, though. They have to stay on the air for the same amount of time, no matter how much or how little interesting stuff there is to report. What I hate is when something crazy happens to some celebrity that I don't care about, then I'm sitting there thinking "Oh, crap, now I'll be hearing about that over and over again for at least a month..."
Gieter
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
This is annoying. I live in Southern California, United States and we rarely see rain. We've been in a drought for a long time and rain is simply a rarity. It finally rains today and that's all that they're talking about on the news. No matter what channel you turn to, all I've been hearing about all day is this rain. How can this make the news? It rained a month ago and they did the same thing. It rained last year also, and they did the same thing. They interviewed some kids who were talking about how afraid they were.... Why do news companies have to get a story out of everything?

Damn, I think I'll move to Southern California Shocked
Alaskacameradude
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Yeah, I know they have to sell stories. I'm just shocked that they can sell rain as long as they can. Do you know if news companies ever prompt people into saying things (like when those kids said they were "so scared" when a little rain was coming down)?

Well the official policy of news stations is that it is very 'unethical' to 'feed' lines such as this to the people they interview. After all, they are SUPPOSED to just report on events, not make up stories (It's the news NOT a movie). However, that being said, I have seen more of that crap going on than some people would believe, where news crews 'feed' or 'prompt' those they are interviewing, because the response they 'feed' to them would make it a bettor or more exciting story. Not supposed to happen, but once in awhile it does. And for the record, those kids better never move up to where I'm from if they are afraid of rain, we get between 90-140 inches a year....Seattle by comparison gets maybe 35-40 inches.
standready
Slow nes day? Maybe? Paris or Britany or Lindsey did not stick their head outside. That reporting is garbage news!
I imagine that any rain when in a drought would make the news! Water is the life blood. Be happy they are talking about rain.
bigdan
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

I was in the same situation as you here in the Upper Hunter Valley of New South Wales in Australia. We were in drought then we got a few months of good rain. It may be annoying, but it's a pleasant annoyance.

Much rather hear about rain than Paris or Britney. You actually need rain. Wink
anex
hey Wink
look out for quadroads on gthe internet...

very good new quad station in dahab.... or should i say only the design is new?!?!?!
hm.... anyway.... I made the movie *smile*

quadroads.com would be your adress if you like to have a look... Wink
uuuuuu
Worse and less ethical than all of these things mentioned above is when a news agency portrays itself as candid and unbiased, and then launches a campaign to sway public opinion.

Did anyone see John Cusack interviewed on Real Time with Bill Maher a couple of nights ago? Here is a link to the site:

http://www.billmaher.com/?page_id=230

Here's something that John Cusack had to say about CNN, while being interviewed about his movie War Inc:

"Well, but I think they’re getting more and more information about it. And I think, you know, some of these truths are so horrible that you don’t really want to think about that. I mean, I don’t – but, I mean, it just – I mean, the gig’s up. I mean, if guys who are statesmen on CNN are also sitting on the boards and are, you know, shareholders in some of the most [he makes quote marks with fingers] “profitable” defense contractors in the world, and they publicly make the case to go to war; and then they go to war, right?

And they create a new market with their war. They bar the competitors from the aftermath. Then they come back and they speak evangelically about free markets that aren’t even free, when it’s a vast protectionist racket – I mean, these aren’t particularly subtle facts – and their

[continued on next post]
uuuuuu
[continued from last post]

stock prices jump 145% or their companies are awarded $2.3-billion contracts.

I mean, after a while, you have to just expose and shame and indict and hopefully convict the participants in this illegal, immoral ideology. [applause] So, yeah, maybe – are Americans complacent? Yeah. But, I’m not ready to – I’m not ready to give up or cede the Constitution of the United States to this bunch of hoodlums."

That we're concerning ourselves with something so trivial and banal as news about rain in Southern California tells me that we're doing exactly what they want us to do, we're hearing exactly what they want us to hear, and we're thinking exactly what they want us to think.

I have less hope for humanity than I had yesterday, but I still love you all.

Tell your mom hi for me,

Love,

Uwe