FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

no school

thefeast
no school is everyones dream. i want to stay at home, get a job, and bring in money. too bad i have to go to school to get a job.
kerryworkman
thefeast wrote:
no school is everyones dream. i want to stay at home, get a job, and bring in money. too bad i have to go to school to get a job.

Even when you are done with school you are caught in the catch 22, that you can't get a job without experience, and can't get experience without having already had a job. Smile
Afaceinthematrix
That isn't everyone's dream. I love school. I go to school and work. I hate working. I work at some tedious job, but working is one way of getting through school. I loved being a kid. I got to go to school and didn't have to work. I want to be a research scientist because part of their job is pretty much going to school. They are constantly learning more about their subjects.
c'tair
I hate catch22... I mean, I hate the catch, the book was awsome, although I never finished it.

As for the topic.. Ill have to agree. I really want to get a job and all, Ive got basic computer skills (basic, as in damn high tech for the average joe, I can fix all sorts of stuff and I see no problem with learning a new programming language or taking up gfx profesionally), but I lack 'teh paperz', meaning Im still in school, dont have any fancy certificates or awards or even a diploma. And Im young, so people usually like to hire someone who went through a monthly training course with computers, because they gotz ze magic paperz, instead of me, a nobody.
loryl
We all wish for things we cannot have. When you finally get a job and venture out in the real world, you'll yearn for the good old days of school when you didn't have to worry about bills, loans, insurance, etc.

Education gets better. In college you get to choose what you're interested in studying. In professional and graduate schools, you choose areas that you're passionate about. I think that when school no longer becomes mandatory, those who stick with it enjoy it more.

Oh yeah, and unless your class has like 6 people in it, attending class is optional too.
cloudship
without schooling, you are likely to end up with labor-intensive job, doing heavy-loading etc., and get far less paid than someone sitting in an air-conditioned room, eating ice creams and clicking buttons for some reasons. They can enjoy their job because they might have already suffered from school.

Well, then, it seems a fair choice, you suffer now or you suffer later all you life.
ucimok
Everyone thinks that after school will be bliss. Nothing doing. You get to work you find the same pressure, the same competition. You just have to appreciate each stage your in our you'll always be miserable.
papeekung
in real world it not like dream
kicy
Human life is almost nothing without being productive in some way, your body craves it.
CaffeinatedCandy
cloudship wrote:
without schooling, you are likely to end up with labor-intensive job, doing heavy-loading etc., and get far less paid than someone sitting in an air-conditioned room, eating ice creams and clicking buttons for some reasons. They can enjoy their job because they might have already suffered from school.

Well, then, it seems a fair choice, you suffer now or you suffer later all you life.

Shocked

What job is this, and where do I apply?! Very Happy

Also, I'm out of school and unemployed right now. I need a job (it won't take me long to find one), but I want my education! But I need to make money to get my education (I'm not sure I'll get a loan) - that's my catch 22.
jalockie
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
That isn't everyone's dream. I love school. I go to school and work. I hate working. I work at some tedious job, but working is one way of getting through school. I loved being a kid. I got to go to school and didn't have to work. I want to be a research scientist because part of their job is pretty much going to school. They are constantly learning more about their subjects.

I agree! I have had to work so that I could go back to school after leaving for financial reasons (in my opinion: always the worst reason to do anything) and now that i am back at school; I don't dream of leaving anytime soon. I find it far more rewarding to learn than make money.

Money is a means to an end.
Knowledge is a means to a beginning.

In fact I believe I will become far more wealthy than the average school leaver for having spent longer in school to learn how to make money.
thetinyclam
Damn, no school is your dream? Do you know what it's like to be a college student? You get to do nothing but sit around and exercise your brain in front of books all day. If you ask me, its a hell lot better than going out there and working 2 part time jobs to put some bacon in the fridge.
JSOC
I can't believe i actually am saying this but sometimes i actually find school..fun. I mean ya its boring and you want to fall asleep in some classes. But you meet good friends, learn some interesting things, and of course are able to actually get a good job. So what i am saying is I personally find school fun. Depending on the class...and the teacher.
pspnl
NO SCHOOL???
Kelcey
School is actually a good thing. Sure classes are boring as heck. But you make friends at school and really have fun. If you didn't go to school, you wouldn't have as many friends. You learn a lot about life in school as well.
Crinoid
Graduating school, graduating university for getting better paying and more satisfying job, and then discover, that this is not a panacea, as it was promoted... Too many graduates, too little jobs. Back to any job search again, being overqualified now. Pity.

When the only way to bring money is the job, one has to be competitive and be qualified, whatever it takes.
Others have own or family business (lucky them!).
Libby
I was pretty good at school, so I never dropped out (or even wanted to) until college.

Crimethinc has a zine (it's a PDF) for drop outs that looks to have some useful information about it.

If you change your mind you can always get your GED or (in the case of college) go back. Once you've worked for a while you get a real appreciation for school. (I did at least.)

Keep in mind that that getting a college degree CAN do you more harm than good, if it's a badly chosen major and you get in debt to pay for tuition and expenses. You may not be able to find a good job and then you'll just end up more and more in debt which is a super bad thing. Sure, college degrees do make finding a job easier but make sure to balance how much you're paying for school with how much you think you can get out of it. That's just my $0.02 as someone who didn't see that happening for her.
lagoon
Don't you have work experience in America?

Here companies hire students for say six months but they aren't expected to be able to do all the things regular employees are. Then they have six months experience to flaunt on their CV at a respected company!
Libby
I think that's called an "internship" here, lagoon.
ptfrances
Yes I think internship is the good word.

Wink
mejo1900
come on learning is fun! No i am not being sarcastic...School really can be an amazing time in your life.
Cddhesh
he he, i use to feel same thing about school, like why we need to go to school and all. I use to hate History subject the most. but now i am getting importance of both school and history subject.I have realized how important learning is. It also depends on your school also.If your school is good there is more possibility that student will like to attend it.I dont find students these days saying "i dont like school" . Smile
tony
thefeast wrote:

thefeast: what is the meaning of your icon, if you dont mind me asking... I am very intrigued!
crimson_aria
I think of that many times. No school might be fun. but it might also be boring. there are times I so so hate going to school, doing projects and learning stuffs i'm not really into. but it's fun when you really think about it. i mean, school's the place i met most of my friends. and the memories are just priceless.
deanhills
I think life is attending school all the time, right from the moment we are born. We learn every day. When we go to a formal school, it is learning more about life, as well as lessons to prepare us so that we can cope with life, as well as find out what we would like to do to make a living, and to prepare us for that as well. Once we have finished school, school continues all the time. We're supposed to learn about life, try and figure things out until we finally die. Some of us learn enough to become both students and teachers at the same time. Children are some of the best teachers there are, they remind us of the unvarnished truth and we are always receptive to learning from them. I don't think we could ever really escape from the "school of life", as wherever we are, it always catches up with us.