FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


MacBook Air





Tony The Tiger
I was talking with a friend about the Macbook Air. What is the percieved likelihood of success of a laptop without any drives. I know I rarely use my CD/DVD drive except to play DVDs. This year I upgraded to Quicken 2008 from Quicken 2005 and did so using an online download instead of physical installation disk. Is this going to be common in the future.
fadirocks
well the pricing for it will be probably make it more popular with big spenders that already have proper wireless setup so they wouldn't mind having such laptop but is it feasible and useful? not sure yet! maybe it's the best idea to keep DVDRW drive outside the system so if it breaks replacement would be cheaper, unlike internal ones which are pain to get them fixed if it wasn't for my warranty I don't think I would fix my drive
Tony The Tiger
fadirocks wrote:
well the pricing for it will be probably make it more popular with big spenders that already have proper wireless setup so they wouldn't mind having such laptop but is it feasible and useful? not sure yet! maybe it's the best idea to keep DVDRW drive outside the system so if it breaks replacement would be cheaper, unlike internal ones which are pain to get them fixed if it wasn't for my warranty I don't think I would fix my drive


Somehow, I don't really think it is being marketted for ease of repairing the DVD drive. I think there may be other technological features that make it a move to a next generation of computing. I don't know for sure however.
Georgeboy
I don't think a drive is really needed to be integrated in the system. How many times do you use a drive? I guess I use my drive 10 20 times a year. So, I could miss one inside the system. If your system is running stable and you're not a person who looks every day a DVD on his computer, the MacBook Air is a great opportunity. I see this product for extremely mobile users and of course a new prestige product of Apple.
I hope that other brands try to make a look-a-like system, it will slow down the price of Apple and probably expands the possibilities.
IllusionSoftware
I don't get why you have to pay a lot of money when you can get a better laptop at a cheaper price.

At least try to make the specs a little better!
fadirocks
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Somehow, I don't really think it is being marketted for ease of repairing the DVD drive. I think there may be other technological features that make it a move to a next generation of computing. I don't know for sure however.


yep it's not marketed but still is really good decision to kick it out from laptop, i just thought another good reason!!!
I know many people including myself damaged their Optical drive by having some type of CD/DVD inside even if not using the drive which is a horrible idea that just kill the drive!!!
so kicking the optical drive out will prolong lifetime of the optical drive!!!

and another good reason is to lower down power consumption and prolonging the battery life too!!!

I bet many prefer to use that space and weight for umm more battery hehe Razz
FriBogdan
Hm... i'm using my DVD-RW and my CD-RW (yes.. two drives) very often. I'm burning discs and i copy different stuff from my friends. I don't want to go to my neighbor to copy a disc via bluetooth ... Neutral

About movies.... hm... i really don't rent any. If i did ... how do you expect to download all the data Neutral. Imagine that most of the people don't have a fast internet connection... and by fast i'm thinking about 3 Mb/s + . I have a 4 Mb/s connection ... and it takes 20 minutes to download 700 MB. So... slow connection = a very angry person that wants to view a movie Smile

What if the internet connection dies Smile) ? It happens ... what then ? And what if your neighbor is out for a walk and it can not provide you with that CD/DVD player. You have movies on disks .. but you can't view them.

Anyway... i'm PRO cd/dvd readers. (and i like them included in my computer)
fadirocks
FriBogdan wrote:
Hm... i'm using my DVD-RW and my CD-RW (yes.. two drives) very often. I'm burning discs and i copy different stuff from my friends. I don't want to go to my neighbor to copy a disc via bluetooth ... Neutral

About movies.... hm... i really don't rent any. If i did ... how do you expect to download all the data Neutral. Imagine that most of the people don't have a fast internet connection... and by fast i'm thinking about 3 Mb/s + . I have a 4 Mb/s connection ... and it takes 20 minutes to download 700 MB. So... slow connection = a very angry person that wants to view a movie Smile

What if the internet connection dies Smile) ? It happens ... what then ? And what if your neighbor is out for a walk and it can not provide you with that CD/DVD player. You have movies on disks .. but you can't view them.

Anyway... i'm PRO cd/dvd readers. (and i like them included in my computer)


watch the presentation from apple site!!!
you install the special software on your PC
pop in DVD and voila you'll see it on your new fancy Mac lappy
umm you don't umm need fast internet you just use your internal network on router to transfer data!!!!

I play many things through my wireless connection on my ThinkPad from music to films!
Tony The Tiger
I use my DVD drive to watch about ten DVDs from Blockbuster Online per week. I will not be switching to a laptop without such a drive.
fadirocks
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I use my DVD drive to watch about ten DVDs from Blockbuster Online per week. I will not be switching to a laptop without such a drive.


it's not going to be lacking but it will be externally!!
jackill
All about it, very nice review: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4238&review=Apple+MacBook+Air
emem
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I was talking with a friend about the Macbook Air. What is the percieved likelihood of success of a laptop without any drives. I know I rarely use my CD/DVD drive except to play DVDs. This year I upgraded to Quicken 2008 from Quicken 2005 and did so using an online download instead of physical installation disk. Is this going to be common in the future.


Probably yes. We're all going to carry a big USB sticks or XXX-cards or external drives and there will be no need for using vulnerable CDs and DVDs and Bluerays and other crap.
Tony The Tiger
fadirocks wrote:
it's not going to be lacking but it will be externally!!


I don't want an external DVD drive. When I travel on vacation or sometimes even for business, I take my blockbuster online disks with me and play them. Over X-mas, I took three with me (returned them in Houston and Memphis for three other DVDs and used an online coupon for another for a total of seven disks watched on my laptop over the holidays. I don't want to have to drag along an external drive for that purpose.
pnalaba1
Having the CD/DVD drive outside the laptop is probably good in some ways. But the laptop is expensive in the first place and if you need to use an optical drive, you need to also include the price of an external drive in the total price. That makes it more expensive. I can't understand why someone would buy this just because it looks slim.
All laptop makers offer lightweight options for a much lesser price, atleast I know thinkpad models are robust, lightweight and cheaper than Macbook air.
BTW USB drive can substitute for an optical drive in most cases, but not always. I haven't figured out how to install/boot Ubuntu from USB drive. There are online docs and so on, but doesn't work as well.
fadirocks
pnalaba1 wrote:
Having the CD/DVD drive outside the laptop is probably good in some ways. But the laptop is expensive in the first place and if you need to use an optical drive, you need to also include the price of an external drive in the total price. That makes it more expensive. I can't understand why someone would buy this just because it looks slim.
All laptop makers offer lightweight options for a much lesser price, atleast I know thinkpad models are robust, lightweight and cheaper than Macbook air.
BTW USB drive can substitute for an optical drive in most cases, but not always. I haven't figured out how to install/boot Ubuntu from USB drive. There are online docs and so on, but doesn't work as well.

for ubuntu thats another topic but here is my small response if your mobo doesn't support USB bootup then you can't Sad

for the external, yep it's $100 what a rip off, at least they should give it with the laptop for free!!!!
bjwok
seems a tad silly to me, if you only buy the macbook air and you want to then use a dvd drive you are forced to buy and external one, then you have to lug it around with you wherever you want to use it. this added weight sort of outweighs the arguement of having the lightest, thinnest notebook in the world.

on the other hand if you have another machine at home and the only thing you use the macbook air for is for on the road purposes is could be sweet. for me, the only thing i have and need is my macbook pro - it does the lot and does it super well!
bikermwtp
idk i dont think t that there is any point ot the new macbook air at all like really like its probably really easy to break and if anything goes wrong its gonna be really expensive to replace bc all the pieces are so small and put together like a big puzzle and i would rather prefer a windows vista instead i guess becasue i got used to it
Arno v. Lumig
You could use a external drive, of course, but that totally defeats the point of being lightweight. You'd also have to carry around an USB hub (with power adapter) and probably a mouse and the usb network dongle aswell, so I really would rather have a laptop that's a bit bigger but doesn't need a gazillion external things you need to carry around.
bjwok
my thoughts exactly. props to apple for making the lightest, thinnest lappie available. now, lets see how many they sell! (not many i imagine)
powerfusion66
Macbook Air is the status symbol for laptops the year 2008.
I wish i could afford it. Confused
Tony The Tiger
powerfusion66 wrote:
Macbook Air is the status symbol for laptops the year 2008.
I wish i could afford it. Confused

I did not know that. I still don't want one. I want my DVD drive.
powerfusion66
Tony The Tiger wrote:
powerfusion66 wrote:
Macbook Air is the status symbol for laptops the year 2008.
I wish i could afford it. Confused

I did not know that. I still don't want one. I want my DVD drive.


Basically it's kinda my opinion, no official award ...yet. Razz
Tony The Tiger
powerfusion66 wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
powerfusion66 wrote:
Macbook Air is the status symbol for laptops the year 2008.
I wish i could afford it. Confused

I did not know that. I still don't want one. I want my DVD drive.


Basically it's kinda my opinion, no official award ...yet. Razz


Is your opinion based on anything that might make it seem correct? Sometimes opinions like that are truthful.
bjwok
the macbook air is a lightweight macbook pro.

it's lightweight in all senses of the word:

lightweight in specs
lightweight in size
lightweight in hardware
lightweight in price

to me it is a gimmick, just like the ipod itouch, which is a lightweight iphone.
Related topics
The MacBook Air....
reg flash memory
[howto] cambiar la bateria de un mac air
EEE PC
Why do people hate Apple?
The Blackberry
Intel ATOM 1.6GHz FSB 533Mhz and 512 Kb cache
Logran hackear una Macintosh en 10 segundos
Netbooks vs Laptops?
Mac Pro, iMac, and LED Cinema Display new launches by Apple
Incentive for Healthy Eating
do you think ipad will be instead of pc?
Macbook air with Windows 7 OS
macbook air
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.