FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My vista decision ??

czc587
I ordered a new computer, expect it to arrive a couple of days but my problem is that I had to get it with vista installed. What is you opinion on how I should proceed ? Would you recommend I reformat the drive and install my existing XP, so stay with the vista ? I have not heard good things about vista and I dont want to be guinea pig for micrsoft.
bloodrider
Well, it's up to you.
Try it some time, don't be influenced by other people's opinion!
When I bought my laptop it came also with Vista, I had heard many of my friends talking bad (when something changes considerable, people tend to dislike it, it may be better but people resist to changes... do you remember what people said about XP when they were used to 98/2000?) about it.
But I decide to give it a try and I came to realize that it's good. OK, it isn't the best SO for some people and although it isn't suitable for me (in my works I use many applications that aren't compatible with Vista) I think it's suitable for the average user.
Like it or not, Vista is the future so learn/adapt to it, the sooner possible. If you have problems with it change to XP or another SO Wink

PS: If you want to change to XP you may find somewhat difficult because of the lack of SATA drivers, you should arrange a recent XP distribution (or SATA drivers from the manufacture) or it won't recognize your hard drive!
Arno v. Lumig
I installed Vista yesterday on my new system, and so far I really like it. I suggest that you just give it a go and if you like it you stick with it and if you don't like it you switch back to XP.

Installing XP on your new computer might be illegal if it is an OEM version of XP, as you're only allowed to use that on one PC
fadirocks
If you're going to game then you can try to strip it down from its extra fluffy graphics so you can more performance but I heard that some games works better on Vista!! you can do little search for that
kerryworkman
czc587 wrote:
I ordered a new computer, expect it to arrive a couple of days but my problem is that I had to get it with vista installed. What is you opinion on how I should proceed ? Would you recommend I reformat the drive and install my existing XP, so stay with the vista ? I have not heard good things about vista and I dont want to be guinea pig for micrsoft.

I am currently using Vista on one of my computers and XP on the other. I don't have any major complaints about Vista except for compatability issues with some of the software I have been using with XP, and 98. It really irk's me to have to use my crappy computer to do the work that I bought the new computer to do, but I get over it. Hopefully someday they will either make newer versions of the software I use or Microsoft will make some sort of patch to run it, but I wont hold my breath.
kansloos
you could also install XP aside Vista (on a separate partition on the same pc), so you can compare better...
Ankhanu
Test Vista.

I personally, haven't liked it, and will be installing XP onto the new system I got my wife. We've given Vista five months so far and it's been a source of frustration the entire time. There are, however, some people who really like it... Opinions aren't universal.

In the end, it won't hurt to test it out and form your own opinion, and proceed from there. I'd give it at least a week of use before making a decision though. First impressions can take some work to get around Razz
jtayl153
I have vista its really good

give it a try, if you dont like it, send it back.
LostOverThere
Vista is terrible, no matter how you look at it.

Send it back. Vista is a massive memory hog, uses insane amounts of resources and costs way to much money (seriously, Microsoft should be paying us to use it).

But, by all means, I shouldn't answer for you. Try it, just remember to have a copy of Windows XP/Linux nearby. Wink
jtayl153
vista rules,

you cant judge vista unless you've used it!

I cant say i dont like LINUX because ive never used it, on the other hand i cant say i like linux either because again i havent used it.

So no one SHOULD really say anything unless they know what they are talking about.

Quote:

Send it back. Vista is a massive memory hog, uses insane amounts of resources and costs way to much money (seriously, Microsoft should be paying us to use it).

But, by all means, I shouldn't answer for you. Try it, just remember to have a copy of Windows XP/Linux nearby.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AN UPDATE FOR VISTA THAT LIMITS THE AMOUNT OF RAM THAT VISTA USES!!

I dont have said download because my pc came with 2 Gig of RAM.

If you cant find the download, 2 Gig of RAM, which most PCs have will run vista perfectly and will allow you to do what ever you want.

I have 2 Gig and i was running Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, Comand and Conquer 3, and listening to music via windows media player at the same time. There was no lagging whatsoever!!
BrianElliott0218
bloodrider wrote:

Like it or not, Vista is the future so learn/adapt to it, the sooner possible. If you have problems with it change to XP or another OS

PS: If you want to change to XP you may find somewhat difficult because of the lack of SATA drivers, you should arrange a recent XP distribution (or SATA drivers from the manufacture) or it won't recognize your hard drive!

OK, two points here...
Vista is not the future (as much as M$ would like you to think that). M$ is getting a little obvious in that they are trying to push out the old machines that can't run Vista so they can generate PC sales. When PC sales get invigorated, M$ makes money because of the licensing with the manufacturers. It's as simple as that.

Second point is related to the XP SATA drivers. If you have XP SP2, or SP3 (Yes, they just released SP3 recently), you will be just fine. You can still install on SP1 or original, and then install the Service Packs.

What some people are doing when they get a machine with Vista on it has been to write to Microsoft for a rebate. It's the best way to let them know that you do not want to run their beta-ware OS.

When you get your new PC, download a Linux "Live CD" ISO and burn it to a CD, and see if you want to run Linux instead. If you'd like to try one that runs right off the bat to try it out, try FreeSpire. They have all the drivers and plugins you need to do all your internet work, and it comes with an Office Suite. Oh... Just to make sure it's quite clear... Linux ISO's are free. The software that comes installed is also all free. When you get a new Windows Box with M$ Office installed, it's a trial version that lasts a certain time and then stops working unless you buy the license.

One caveat to using Linux is that you will not be able to run all your old windows apps right off the bat. You can run most, but it will take some tweaking of your system and installation of the Windows Emulator (WINE).

Good luck with your new PC! I hope you'll report back as to what you think of Vista.
~BE
Arno v. Lumig
LostOverThere wrote:

Send it back. Vista is a massive memory hog,

It is not. It uses a lot of memory on PreFetch, but if an other process needs it Vista gives it back to that program. It is the same thing Linux uses. Run "top" in the terminal and you'll see that the ram usage is near 100% all the time.

Quote:
uses insane amounts of resources

resources? I wish Gnome did only use 3% of my CPU when idle... And the RAM usage is explained above

Quote:
and costs way to much money

Expensive doesn't exist. It just means it costs more then you are willing to pay for it. I do not think that it is wrong to pay for an OS

Quote:
(seriously, Microsoft should be paying us to use it).

Bullcrap. I have used Vista for 3 days now and I like it. It was worth my money. I rather pay for Vista then use Linux for free.

Quote:
But, by all means, I shouldn't answer for you. Try it, just remember to have a copy of Windows XP/Linux nearby. Wink

You're right about that. If he doesn't like it he is free to switch to whatever OS he likes. Just don't spread false information just because you don't have any experience or knowledge with it.
bloodrider
BrianElliott0218 wrote:

OK, two points here...
Vista is not the future (as much as M$ would like you to think that). M$ is getting a little obvious in that they are trying to push out the old machines that can't run Vista so they can generate PC sales. When PC sales get invigorated, M$ makes money because of the licensing with the manufacturers. It's as simple as that.

You may live in a place dominated by UNIX-like systems and/or Mac OS or whatsoever, but in the the rest of the world almost everyone use a Microsoft OS, so Vista is the future, like it or not Rolling Eyes
But if you've any doubt see this sites:
http://onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox54-windows-vista-global-usage-share.html
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10&qpmr=24&qpdt=1&qpct=3&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=107
http://www.xitimonitor.com/en-us/internet-users-equipment/operating-systems-december-2007/index-1-2-7-116.html

I'm not saying which is the best OS (that question is an utopia, what's best for one it isn't necessarily for others, you probably suffer from a Anti-Microsoft feeling as I did in the past and you can't recognize their value), I too use Linux, but this is the reality, face it.

BrianElliott0218 wrote:

Second point is related to the XP SATA drivers. If you have XP SP2, or SP3 (Yes, they just released SP3 recently), you will be just fine. You can still install on SP1 or original, and then install the Service Packs.

No they didn't released SP3, they only released a RC version, final version will probably appear by the end of this trimester although Microsoft officially says that will be released in mid 2008... And no, he may not be able to install XP since there is some laptops that won't load the SATA drivers properly, you've to install XP with a distribution that has built-in recent drivers.
Ankhanu
jtayl153 wrote:
vista rules,

you cant judge vista unless you've used it!

I cant say i dont like LINUX because ive never used it, on the other hand i cant say i like linux either because again i havent used it.

So no one SHOULD really say anything unless they know what they are talking about.

Having used Vista for 7 (EDIT: 5... damn time travel) months, I can easily judge it.... and I didn't judge it favourably. Performance on my system, which came with Vista installed and 1Gb of RAM was utterly deplorable. Sure I could have spent another $70 or so for another Gb of RAM to make the system run at a speed that was remotely tolerable, but I shouldn't have to shell out extra money to have a working machine straight out of the box.
XP was installed on the system over the weekend and performance has jumped significantly.

jtayl153 wrote:
... 2 Gig of RAM, which most PCs have will run vista perfectly and will allow you to do what ever you want.

I have 2 Gig and i was running Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, Comand and Conquer 3, and listening to music via windows media player at the same time. There was no lagging whatsoever!!

Most systems these days do NOT have 2GB of RAM... sure they have it as an option, but, yeah, most people don't have it. Especially those "upgrading" their OS on slightly older machines.
Simply, you shouldn't need excessive quantities of RAM to simply run an OS without file swapping the fecal matter out of your HDDs to open and use basic programs.
czc587
Thanks guys for your opinions, thoughts and good discussion. I decided to give it a try and have been running Vista now for about 2 weeks. Initialy I thought it was good but every day I get more discouraged. Some of my devices will not work, such as my linksys printserver (and acording to linksys it never will), some of my software does not work yet in vista, and I find that some things are just not as intuative as I would have expected. Also some simple stuff is annoying like where's the hourglass ? Also for a new OS i'd expect some neat new functionaly or some carrot, but I have yet to find any really good carrots, just a few "baby carrots".

Every day I'm more inclined to go back to XP but my machine has Sata with no Pata and I understand that XP does not support sata - Is this true ??

So I guess I have 2 possibilites, 1) create a new partion on the drive and have dual boot with both xp and vista, or 2) go back to xp totally. I'm think of the dual boot option, but I'm just learning here Smile (I'm not considering linux for this machine I have that on a differnet machine already).
What'd ya think ?
Ankhanu
You're looking to be in exactly the same situation I was Wink Tried it out, started good, and every day it got more frustrating.

No real reason why you couldn't set up a dual boot system for XP and Vista, granted that you aren't too concerned about the HDD space consumption. Personally; I completely deleted Vista (except for the restore partition, in case I ever DO want to reinstall it) and went XP only...

As for the SATA thing, I can't answer, I haven't had to deal with it at all, so haven't looked into it.
[FuN]goku
It all depends really. If you have a good nuff pc, vista should be just fine for alot of things, but i mean.. if your pc is crap and cant run much.. like it has 512 ram and accel. gfx and an older processor then i would say go to xp.

I didn't much like vista when i first tried it, but thats cuz my pc wasnt that good when i tried it. But a month ago or so i got some upgrades and i decided to try vista on a virtual machine. And even though it was in a virtual machine, it wasnt too bad. I spose explorer takes some getting use to in vista cuz it looks different but meh.
ssthanapati
Vista seems to be a bit slower and had software compatibility issues with some softwares... other than that it works fine

And u may like 2 give it a try before installing XP which u can do anytime
LostOverThere
That's like saying "This car's engine is broken and its missing 4 wheels, otherwise its fine" Rolling Eyes