FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer will not boot frequently !

czc587
I'm having an annoying reoccuring problem with my computer. About once every 3-4 months my hard drive loses it boot information. I've made a number of changes (and must perform regular backups) but can't get rid of the problem. I've replaced the drive, installed an pci ide controller card and reflashed the bios but the problem still reoccurs. It's not a virus as I've low level formatted then xp ntfs formatted and fresh reinstalled xp a couple times now. It usually only prevents the system from booting as I can usually take the drive out and make it a usb drive to get the data off. The drive passes all tests. When it does not boot it usually gives an error like " a disk read error has occured" Can anyone suggest an approach to solve this ? I was thinking that some chip on the mobo is flaky and causing a bad write to the boot sector ? Anyone know of a very good diagnostic program I can run that might find the source of the problem ?
fadirocks
You might experiencing power fluctuation in your system, there are devices to test out your power supply also, you might have bad power coming through your house filled with noise so regular Surge protector wouldn't do the trick so you probably need a Voltage Regulator / Surge Protector combo device
bongani
For your computers problem I recommend a utility program called Fresh Diagnose & it's available free of charge (website: http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdiag.html). Here a description of this utility:
"Fresh Diagnose is a utility designed to analyze and benchmark your computer system. It can analyze and benchmark many kinds of hardware, such as CPU performance, hard disk performance, video system information, mainboard / motherboard information, and much more...

Key features of Fresh Diagnose:
System Information: Scanning your system and give a complete report about your computer's hardware and software, for examples: mainboard information, video system information, PCI / AGP buses information, peripheral (keyboard, mouse, printer, etc.) information, Windows registry settings, and network information.

System Benchmarks: Testing your system performance, such as CPU, hard disk, CD/DVD ROM, and compare it with other systems. Use this free software to learn more about your computer and its components, detect / diagnose problems or errors in your computer, and increase your computer's overall performance."