FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

home server

karthike
Can any one tell me the broad band speed that i need for making my pc into a Web server?
MrBlueSky
Depends on what you want to serve and how many visitors you want to serve. If you want expect only one or two visitors at the same time, and you only want to serve html (with some pictures), you can do with very little (upstream) bandwith. Even the the cheapest broadband package provided by your internet provider will propably be enough.

If you want to host large downloads or a very popular site, you are going to need more bandwith.
blueray
Hmm... a simple and low usage web server should 10MB or 100MB broadband line with up / down should be enough.

But if you use home broadband service than, some locations might experienced in slow up / download files or data. It is due to not all ISP have direct line that connect the local to foreign .
But the bussiness line usually do.
csoftdev
it really depends on what you want to provide really. i have heard of some people rediculously running a webhost on 256kbps adsl line, but well, it depends on what you can afford, and of course the faster the better. i think you need at least 1 Mbps
silverdown
You might want to check with your internet provider as well, my provider requires it's customers to get the business package internet for hosting servers. They block incoming request on some ports so we can't do that as well.
Chris24
silverdown wrote:
You might want to check with your internet provider as well, my provider requires it's customers to get the business package internet for hosting servers. They block incoming request on some ports so we can't do that as well.

Look in no-ip.com I use it as a way around this
misterXY
silverdown wrote:

in my region, we can't even get a business line unless ur a medium( thats right not even small ) business at least. Evil or Very Mad
FunDa
Run it and see !
Install a web server (Apache).

Assuming you are using windows, there might be something already installed called Personal web server.

Search Google and register on a site that redirects to your computer's ip (and the webserver).
search something like Dynamic IP home server.

And try it out. kepp an eye on your bandwidth usage.
andersonshatch
Chris24 wrote:

Look in no-ip.com I use it as a way around this

Another alternative is dyndns.org
SamiTheBerber
LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP/PERL/PYTHON) is very easy to install nowdays. Of course it has something you have to learn.
cvkien
i believe if you want to create your own web server, using top domain without redirection to your own computer, then most of the ISP will have their minimum range for static ip. and that would cost a lot for static ip. and normally 2mb for up and down should be enough for not very famous site, like personal site, or business site. unless you are doing web hosting, then it will need more, depends on how fast can your ISP can provide.

if you are using free url redirection, let say co.nr, then i think that would not be a very famous site and that requires lower speed. i believe if you can buy a static ip broadband services, then you can absolutely buy a top domain. I don't know which 1 is you, so i state out two options.

and my place provided cheaper price for dynamic ip address. and higher price for static ip, around 5 times higher.
zellfaze
My computer is setup as a web server, I am using a CNAME record on the domain to have it point to my computer, you can find your CNAME name fairly easily. Just go to a ip lookup site and have it look up you.

I don't use anything special for my webserver connection wise, just whatever my family is willing to pay for. If you dont expect much traffic, then that should be fine.
IllusionSoftware
Also I don't know if its mentioned here but make sure that your ISP allows you to have a home server available to the public. If it is private it is okay I think.
shenyl
Another free good reliable dynamic DNS site is "no ip".

Here is the URL

http://www.no-ip.com/

You can also read about how to use it from the same site.

The need for these dynamic DNS, is because your home router connecting you to the ISP is using what we call a dynamic IP Address, that changes regularly (you get a lease period of say 4 hours) for one of the available static IP address that the ISP holds.

So you don't have a permanent IP Address (static IP Address), but a dynamic IP address (from a DHCP server of your ISP).

The No IP Domain Name Server (DNS) will link a permanent domain name of your server to your changing IP address. This is done, by your web server periodically sending the updated assigned IP address of your router to be linked with your permanent domain name.

Hope you are still there. With best regards.
Chris24
shenyl wrote:

Here is the URL

The need for these dynamic DNS, is because your home router connecting you to the ISP is using what we call a dynamic IP Address, that changes regularly (you get a lease period of say 4 hours) for one of the available static IP address that the ISP holds.

So you don't have a permanent IP Address (static IP Address), but a dynamic IP address (from a DHCP server of your ISP).

The No IP Domain Name Server (DNS) will link a permanent domain name of your server to your changing IP address. This is done, by your web server periodically sending the updated assigned IP address of your router to be linked with your permanent domain name.

This is what I use. I have absolutely no problems using this what so ever. Highly recommend using this as a way around the problems explained in the prior message
loonix
misterXY wrote:
in my region, we can't even get a business line unless ur a medium( thats right not even small ) business at least. Evil or Very Mad

LMAO am I the only person to read this and initially think you had to be pyschic to get a business line? :p
zellfaze
shenyl wrote:

Here is the URL

Freedns.afraid.org offers dynamic DNS. It only is offered if you "donate" to them, none the less the site is execlent when it comes to doing DNS work. They allow for 20 subdomains off of any domain you own, and 5 off of any other domain hosted off their servers.