FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Why people hate Mac-OS (users)?





xbow
I actually not hate mac but the users, hmm what can i say, they become fanatic after using it, they treated other os (windows or even linux) as trash.
After they buy a mac product they just can't stop buying another mac device (iPod, iPhone etc. ), even if mac product is expensive (w/ poor feature compared to another product w/ same price range).
brokenadvice
I have to say most Mac users I know (myself included) don't bash Linux. In fact, our OS is sort of based off it. We merely grumble at the horrible morass that is Windows.
Studio Madcrow
Most people don't attack Mac users, they attack the Mac itself, which many Mac users take as a personal attack for some reason.

For example, I can say:
Only two real gripes about Mac: the fact that to do any customization beyond changing the wallpaper, you need to use 3rd-Party hacks, which are invariably payware and that you're stuck with a menubar at the top of the screen, rather that in the window that's its associated with. The screen-top menubar worked great in the singletasking era of the original Mac, but its just plain confusing in a moder context.

And that will get Mac fans all upset, as if they had been personally insulted. After a few interactions like that, some people start to get a bad opinion of all Mac users, rather than just that blatant pro-Mac troll on "teh Intarwebz"
Phil
I've always wanted to try out a Mac. Unfortunately, I lack $1500 to just "try out" a new computer.
So, of course, I've tried to talk about the comparisons to the few Mac people I've met. All I can get out of them is "I can do anything a PC can do!!" followed by an anti-Microsoft rant. Now I'm no pro-Microsoft by any stretch of the imagination (see my threads asking about Linux), but obviously, Microsoft and the PC in general must be doing something right.
The handful of Mac peeps I know seem to want to ignore this point. As a matter of fact, they all seem to have these snotty attitudes and think they've discovered some little secret that makes them better than the average computer user.
Now I know, not every Mac user is like this, but I'm telling you, the few I have met certainly fit this description.
One guy I used to work with comes to mind when I think of Mac users. He already was a know-it-all to begin with. He was just so condescending when it came to discussions about computers. His last words were always "Well you use a PC, I USE A MAC!!"
Come to think about it, my brother-in-law's family have always used Macs in there family business. His mother gave my nephew a Mac for Christmas. My brother-in-law was laughing about how my nephew was going to cop an attitude now.
NovaBreak
Well I know a few people running on Macs, and only one person out of them all is a PC basher.

I bought an IPod Classic and I'm not addicted to other Apple products?

I once came across a good metaphor to explain Windows, Macs, and Linux

Windows are sedans, cheap, but easy to fix.
Macs are European cars, sealed, eloquent, and really a mystery on how they work.
Linux OSs are tanks that can go 100mph, get 100 miles/gal, and are free.
Ankhanu
Some of us (Mac users) are reasonable people...

Some of us even use and like other operating systems. Personally, I still can't like Vista, however Razz
BrianElliott0218
I have been involved in computers since the late 70's. My father and I built our first PC from a Heathkit computer kit. It was an 8088 processor that cooked along at 8Mhz, and to prove it was really high end, it even had a tape cassette drive so you didn't have to type in the programs every time you used them!

I have since been involved with both Mac and PC computing, and now I'm starting into Linux again (again because I left it behind for being too difficult to install and use and having little that I wanted to do with it). I came to the conclusion many years ago that I didn't care what OS I used until I knew what task I was going to be performing. Now, the choice is even simpler as each OS is strong in just about all categories from Graphic Arts to Music and general business applications. If you have a role to perform at an office, the platform will already be determined most of the time by the business infrastructure that is in place. If you have an office that is using an installed base of PC's, it is unlikely that they will buy you a Mac for 3-4 times the cost of a PC box with a M$ OS pre-installed. On the other hand, if you have a Mac based office, they will never "stoop" to buying you a PC now matter how much you rail about it. So in the office, you get what you get. There are the middle ground offices of course where the web development or marketing department made a convincing enough argument about how they really need Macs to do all that Graphic and Print work... Smile But usually there are savvy enough managers not to get fooled into the higher priced hardware.

Todays Macs are a wonder. They look great, are very fast, and, except for a few staffu's related to playing the 'race to market' game with M$ on the Leopard release, very stable. Someone in a post above said something about how when someone buys a Mac they get really snotty about it, and never want to use a PC again... Doesn't that speak to what the Mac OS is like? Once you use a Mac, you never go back? Just thought it was funny that point was made as an anti-Mac comment... Wink

As to M$ Windows, I have used the various iterations of M$ operating systems more than Mac, I use them for supporting my clients, and for doing a lot of the usual; usual being defined as Office apps and web. I also enjoy, though I don't play much lately, games on Wintel Box (yes windows gaming is very good especially compared to the consoles. The key part of personal computing is the multi functionality of the unit you are using, and to make a high powered computer dedicated to games seems wasteful to me). I can't defend the WinBox much. Again, from something someone said above, Microsoft must be doing something right. I agree, they did: marketing, and OEM licensing in such a way as to get a huge market share, and indeed, they are a huge contributing factor for PC's being as ubiquitous as they are in the world today. They also write all their software as a giant committee, and that takes away the flair of Windows to a large extent. It has become an over rated under performing klodge, and Vista is the penultimate example of bloatware. Other than that, M$ has a fine OS, if you can afford to get a new PC or buy the upgrades that you need to use it. My big problem with that is the wastefulness. Windows is the NeoCon of the OS's.

Linux: Created by committee, it's true, but always with vision. The multi-capable PC is unleashed with various Linux OSs, and they can all communicate well with each other regardless of the hardware and OS differences. It's not as easy to use as Windows, but, hell, Windows isn't as easy as Mac, so what? Folks still figured it out. OK, some more than others... Rolling Eyes
Linux can run on almost any hardware out there, and it can be customized to within the specifications you have for it. Try that with Windows, or Mac for that matter. It can be anything from a shiny eye candy box to a workhorse server that rarely crashes. The Linux community is helpful and available, and eager to find solutions to the issues you have. As far as ease of use, you can customize a Linux box into practically a kiosk of useful utilities for your grandmother if you so choose. The capability to make a custom install is as easy as fixing up the box the way you like it and creating a Live CD to send to Granny to put in her CD drive and start using it when it boots up. Do that with a Windows CD!

Microsoft's position in computing is still huge today, but does that mean they should be the unquestioned ruler of your desktop? I think otherwise. There are a lot of options in the Linux OS world, and people simply have to try it out to believe it. You don't even have to give up your precious Windows to do it either! Just use it from your optical drive. Razz

Linux is coming up round on the outside, and they are making the move into the inside track... Keep watching. The new killer OS is on the frontier, and it's going to be a big movement. Linux almost has the eye of the hardware manufacturers now, and should get some support on that front soon.

Anyone out there work in machine language, and understand drivers? You could have a huge company if you were to start writing drivers and installers for Linux. TenDollarDrivers.com anyone? Twisted Evil

Have fun! Try Linux...
~Brian
BE Enterprises (.com)
Sphaerenkern
Funny thing is that other people seem to have the argue why they use windows when they see I have a mac.
For example, they say things like "oh look at the chassis, would never buy it" or "macs are so expensive, I like PCs much better!" when they see my MacBook.
And I always think, wtf, shut up! I don't care why they don't like Mac. When I see a PC, I don't say things like "OMG how ugly is this tower get a mac!!" and stuff.
The problem is, there _are_ mac fanatics which are always bashing other OS users so people think I am too and try to bash first.
I have a deep respect for Linux users and PC users are normal people just using a different OS. I don't like windows, that's why I don't use it. Apple is no religion or something, and I'm no preacher.
Bengt
You always have these kind of peoples, it is a stereotype that ALL mac-users are like that.
From my own experience I can say that as a daily mac-user i just get frustrated if i have to work with windows. Smile (and before i used mac i have used windows for years)
froginabox
I'm a Mac user, and truthfully I can't stand half the Mac software, so I use Windows XP heavily through Parallels VM. There are some great applications for it (like ProTools, the Native Instruments Suite, and I LOVE Adium for chat). I disagree that the menubar at the top instead of with the window supports single tasking, I think it just takes some getting used to switching from Windows to Mac and vise-versa.

I will admit that I think the Macs tend to be a bit more aesthetically pleasing than some PCs. I don't think the laptops are any less customizable than any other laptop, and now with the new Intel chips I think the MacPro (for those who can afford it - not me!) could be more customizable than past Macs.

I don't bash Windows - I use it all the time, and I'm trying to get into Linux too. I'm not addicted.... while I may have an iPod, that's because it was a free offer with the laptop Wink
DarkAkira
I don't take things as a personal attack when people bash macs, but I do at time get irritated.

Usually (in my experiences), people say bad things about macs when they honestly have no idea what they are talking about. Usually they have either:

A. Never used a Mac
B. Used one for 3 Seconds
C. Base there experiences on Pre-OSX

SO when people come up to me when I'm on my MacBook and say "Mac sucks. They can't do anything. Blah Blah Blah" (has happened before), I get slightly pissed because:

1. I don't care what this person thinks, I don't even know them
2. They don't know what they're talking about
3. No on asked them about what they think, nor did I tell them "LOVE MY MAC!!!"

Like... I know not all people are that ignorant, but when those ignorant people feel the need to make a comment for NO REASON, I, and others, do get quite agitated. I'm sure it happens to all of us about something once in a while. I mean... I could irritate a windows love if I went up and said:

"Windows sucks! I've used Windows 95 So I know what your using now is bad too. You can't do anything and it crashes alot, and there is no software, blah blah blah." <--- Good Example!!!

See that. I can be dumb too. When people say things about Mac when the only OS they used is OS 7 or OS 9, it's like me saying XP sucks cause Win95 was bad. That's when I get irritated, as I'm sure a windows lover would too if I said that statement.

I love Mac. I have only been using OS X for about 2 years now. I started on OSX86, and then bought my MacBook. It wasn't overpriced, and it performs wonderfully. Before I used Mac, I used Windows XP as my main OS.

I've also used:

- Ubuntu
- FreeBSD
- DOS
- Windows 95-XP
- Windows Vista (Beta Longhorn - Ultimate RTM)
- SkyOS
- DSL Linux
- Mac OS 9

I personally prefer OS X. But only 10.4+. I honestly hate anything pre-Tiger. Just not worth it to me. I also (personally) never use my desktop PC anymore and use Windows once in a great while. Why? Because for what I do, Windows sucks. This doesn't mean it sucks for everyone, just for me.

I have my Mac customized for my multiple workspaces, I don't have to run an anti-virus/anti-spyware program in the background at all times, the Graphic Design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator) run better on my mac than on Windows (again, my experience). I also personally prefer how the windows are not confined in Mac. Like... instead of one window with stuff i it, its just layers over the Desktop. I like that. It is better for me when I'm working.

Anyway...

Not all mac users are fanatics. We just sometimes get a little irritated. Myself included. But when people are just voicing opinions from experience (not just random nonsense), then I don't have a problem. If you like windows, go for it. But don't sit there and try to tell me my Mac sucks. Cause personally, I don't care what you think.

That is all.

(^.^)
{name here}
xbow wrote:
I actually not hate mac but the users, hmm what can i say, they become fanatic after using it, they treated other os (windows or even linux) as trash.
After they buy a mac product they just can't stop buying another mac device (iPod, iPhone etc. ), even if mac product is expensive (w/ poor feature compared to another product w/ same price range).

People hate them because they're cultish, fanboyish, and typically smug or annoying. At least, that's the common stereotype of them. The OS Advocates of Macs really do fit this bill, but every OS advocate fits the bill of cultish and smug. They seem to like to pop up a lot more than Unix/Unix-like people, and people satisfied with what they have don't want to be pestered constantly about what works for them. Some of it is ignorance on part of the Windows users, but mostly its the Mac user annoying the Windows user.

Think about it like the Mac vs. PC commercials: The mac guy is a hipster and utter jerk, while PC is the goof. Of course, PCs got gamers, and they get just as bad.

Linux (Unix-like) people tend to be much worse than any mac fanboy in their snobbery, but they stay in their own communities much more than the Mac fanboys. Windows fanboys aren't as bad because they don't need to be.
Srs2388
i have both on one dell machine Very Happy what would that make me?
lol Laughing
Da Rossa
xbow wrote:
I actually not hate mac but the users, hmm what can i say, they become fanatic after using it, they treated other os (windows or even linux) as trash.
After they buy a mac product they just can't stop buying another mac device (iPod, iPhone etc. ), even if mac product is expensive (w/ poor feature compared to another product w/ same price range).


What I do know, although I'm no Mac user, is that, when you "wake up to a new reality" then you defend it very strongly. Like those ones that have recently converted themselves from one religion to another: they will defend the new one with tooth and nail and attack the previous. Besides, I have a feeling that Macs are actually great, for many reasons. That maybe why the Mac fanboys are generally so fervent.
Bananamango
I switched to Mac one year ago but nevertheless I also own a Xbox360 and a PS3 with Linux running on it - OSX is very stable and secure but windows for shure is as good as OSX - I think its a matter of taste and needs.
[FuN]goku
well im not sure if i hate apple or just macs....

I know i'm fed up with the constant attempts to bash windows on their commercials.. i mean i dont really like windows but i dont hate it either, its just.. one commercial was alright.. then they come out with like.. 20 different ones all attacking windows and how bad it is... which is really annoying after a while which makes me hate mac even more. Then i dont like the way the mac os is layed out, or its gui... or the cases and keyboards too. theyre just.... i dont know what the word is that describes it. Now , i suppose apple is a bit different from me hating macs... Apple, i suppose i avoid their products because of the ipods.. bout 80% of people with mp3 players at school, have ipods. And i like to stand out and be different from everyone, which is why dont have an ipod. And then ipods remind me of a mac as well i guess.. i guess im wierd like that XD . I think ill just stick to my linux and windoze ^^
DarkAkira
[FuN]goku wrote:
well im not sure if i hate apple or just macs....

I know i'm fed up with the constant attempts to bash windows on their commercials.. i mean i dont really like windows but i dont hate it either, its just.. one commercial was alright.. then they come out with like.. 20 different ones all attacking windows and how bad it is... which is really annoying after a while which makes me hate mac even more. Then i dont like the way the mac os is layed out, or its gui... or the cases and keyboards too. theyre just.... i dont know what the word is that describes it. Now , i suppose apple is a bit different from me hating macs... Apple, i suppose i avoid their products because of the ipods.. bout 80% of people with mp3 players at school, have ipods. And i like to stand out and be different from everyone, which is why dont have an ipod. And then ipods remind me of a mac as well i guess.. i guess im wierd like that XD . I think ill just stick to my linux and windoze ^^


Not sure why a commercial would make you mad...

I thought if anyone would be mad it'd be Bill Gates.

Anyway. Cool if you don't like macs. They're not for everyone. It happens.

But if I may make a recommendation, don't cast off iPod's just because everyone uses them. Or cause they are Apple (or like Mac). They are actually really good mp3 players. I've been suing them for years (not exclusively), and so far they are my favorite player.

Especially the iPodTouch. Those are fun.

I'm not saying go out and buy one. Just, idk, give them a chance? I guess. I think that's what I'm saying.
ddoonie
I love MAC, and it just seems to fit with my workflow. I don't do any real gaming, and to me that is its only real short coming. Another could be the lack of specialized program support, ie... trading software. But this has been solved with the new macs. I enjoy the simplicity of the MAC from the installing/removal of software, to the lack of quirks/error msgs etc... Will i get a MAC again, definitely. The prices are ridiculously high, i do agree, but buying ram else where can save a few hundred (rather than the optional upgrade through them). BTW I am actually using my toshiba laptop as we speak, so it's not like i love mac's soooo much that i wont touch a PC.

Regarding iPods, what are your issues with it? There is an alternative OS you can use, can dual boot it if you'd like, rockbox... Great functionality, graphical eq's, support of wav, flac, etc... and can drag and drop the library.
[FuN]goku
DarkAkira wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:
well im not sure if i hate apple or just macs....

I know i'm fed up with the constant attempts to bash windows on their commercials.. i mean i dont really like windows but i dont hate it either, its just.. one commercial was alright.. then they come out with like.. 20 different ones all attacking windows and how bad it is... which is really annoying after a while which makes me hate mac even more. Then i dont like the way the mac os is layed out, or its gui... or the cases and keyboards too. theyre just.... i dont know what the word is that describes it. Now , i suppose apple is a bit different from me hating macs... Apple, i suppose i avoid their products because of the ipods.. bout 80% of people with mp3 players at school, have ipods. And i like to stand out and be different from everyone, which is why dont have an ipod. And then ipods remind me of a mac as well i guess.. i guess im wierd like that XD . I think ill just stick to my linux and windoze ^^


Not sure why a commercial would make you mad...

I thought if anyone would be mad it'd be Bill Gates.

Anyway. Cool if you don't like macs. They're not for everyone. It happens.

But if I may make a recommendation, don't cast off iPod's just because everyone uses them. Or cause they are Apple (or like Mac). They are actually really good mp3 players. I've been suing them for years (not exclusively), and so far they are my favorite player.

Especially the iPodTouch. Those are fun.

I'm not saying go out and buy one. Just, idk, give them a chance? I guess. I think that's what I'm saying.


Mh, well i doubt 'i' myself would go out and buy an ipod, however, if by chance someone bought me one i'd probably look into that ipod linux i've heard of. Wink
DarkAkira
[FuN]goku wrote:

Mh, well i doubt 'i' myself would go out and buy an ipod, however, if by chance someone bought me one i'd probably look into that ipod linux i've heard of. Wink


Meh...

I tried it a few times. It really wasn't worth the effort in my eyes. It doesn't even have good compatibility with the different iPods.

An iPod Touch jailbroken is all you really need.
teko
if you want some fun and are feeling a bit bored why dont you post this question on one of the mac forums on the net! Sit back and watch the flames come!
{name here}
teko wrote:
if you want some fun and are feeling a bit bored why dont you post this question on one of the mac forums on the net! Sit back and watch the flames come!

The absolute worst place wouldn't be a forum, but a newsgroup. The os.mac.advocacy newsgroup is pretty vicious about defending their operating system of choice, which I don't see as much in the windows newsgroup.
simplyw00x
Quote:
The absolute worst place wouldn't be a forum, but a newsgroup. The os.mac.advocacy newsgroup is pretty vicious about defending their operating system of choice, which I don't see as much in the windows newsgroup.

You're surprised that people are somewhat fanatical in an advocacy newsgroup? Does windows even have and advocacy group? ...

Quote:
I tried it a few times. It really wasn't worth the effort in my eyes. It doesn't even have good compatibility with the different iPods.

Rockbox seems definitely worth it --- even if only for OGG support, which AFAIK is lacking from 'normal' ipods.

Quote:
I don't do any real gaming, and to me that is its only real short coming.

Yeah, because it's not like boot camp, cider or, y'know, natice ports of all Blizzard, Maxis and many other games exist. That would be cool. SIGH. Want to try claiming that gaming on linux is bad next? I dares ya.

Quote:
Regarding iPods, what are your issues with it?


  1. Everyone has one, and monopolies are bad
  2. DRM
  3. Lack of support for other formats without potentially warranty-voiding firmware changes
  4. Over-priced
  5. Navigation and normal usage are very simple, but that's not the same as 'easy'. The "NO BUTTONS', lowest common denominator design philosophy is not something I want to support
  6. Neither is ITMS as a business model


Quote:
I'm not saying go out and buy one. Just, idk, give them a chance? I guess. I think that's what I'm saying.

Fair enough. But why not give everything else a chance as well? I've always found creative MP3 players cheaper (and with better-quality audio) for the same price. Ok, so creative have never really trodden new ground in the MP3 player market, but there are no points for originality.

Quote:
I know i'm fed up with the constant attempts to bash windows on their commercials..

They don't say anything that's inaccurate, and I think it's good in terms of public education to know that windows is not 'The OS' and that its serious shortcomings are not unavoidable.

Quote:
windows for shure is as good as OSX

No

Quote:
I disagree that the menubar at the top instead of with the window supports single tasking

So do I --- it saves screen space, and I would be doing it on Ubuntu if it weren't so hack-ish at the moment. It's a more sensible design metaphor to have common actions in a common place.

Quote:
Microsoft and the PC in general must be doing something right.

Yes; abusing a sneakily-attained monopoly, in breach of trade regulations in many countries. I'm sure if I had a casual disregard for the law, I'd be doing brilliantly in business too.

Quote:
they've discovered some little secret that makes them better than the average computer user.

They have. The average computer user probably thinks that Windows is the computer, and the fact that you're enlightened eough to know there are other OS choices than your own makes it all the more weird that you continue to support windows.

Quote:
the fact that to do any customization beyond changing the wallpaper, you need to use 3rd-Party hacks, which are invariably payware and that you're stuck with a menubar at the top of the screen

That's what you get for proprietary software. Windows isn't exactly mega-customisable without third-party software either.

Quote:
I have to say most Mac users I know (myself included) don't bash Linux. In fact, our OS is sort of based off it. We merely grumble at the horrible morass that is Windows.

There are boat-loads of mac users who lord it over linux for its "Ease of Use". Well, here's a news-flash. If linux could dis-regard 90% of all hardware as being "incompatible" and came pre-installed and configured on computers, it would be pretty damn "Easy to Use" too.
Kashinilaya
I purchased a Mac last year for some specific reasons, such as it was very nice looking (the white MacBook is really pretty, contrasting with a whole bunch of black PCs in the market); it was thin, small and light, compared to most other notebooks; it was priced just a little higher than the competition at that time; many were saying it was less vulnerable to viruses and hacker attacks; many expert reviewers were stating it was the best choice for the $$ spent; and also I was a little curious about the spontaneous marketing Mac users happen to do for Apple.

I allways found it weird all the noise (some) Mac users used to make, regarding the superiority of their machine, but when I first got in touch with the MacBook, I was really (and gratfully) surprised. It should be mentioned that my previous computer was a Pentium III, 900MHz, 128 MB, running on Windows 98 SE, and then I got a Core 2 Duo, Mac OSX Tiger, MacBook. What a contrast!!! Much more stable, very easy to install/uninstall programs, very nice environment, very nice software package, good free software available... To summarize the story, less than pne year latter, I purchased a MacBookPro for myself (the MacBook was to my wife) and a MacMini for the children. I still plan to use Windows for all the old software I have, but I'll probably stick on Mac (until Apple ruins it, if it happens). It's a great set, the hardware and the OS! But it brought me problems too. I had a hard time finding internet access for it where I live, in Brazil.

People should not be so annoyed about the fuss that is made over the supposed superiority of a Mac or the Mac OS over PCs and Windows. It's like buying a new car: the owner usually praises his/her own decision to buy that brand/model, probably trying to convince himself/herself that he made the right choice.

People should not be attached to anything, specially to what others think!
jeremyp
xbow wrote:
I actually not hate mac but the users, hmm what can i say, they become fanatic after using it, they treated other os (windows or even linux) as trash.

All operating systems have their advocates and all OS advocates are really annoying. What makes the Mac/OS X advocates extra special super duper annoying is that they are right.
The Mitchell
most people hate mac users because as a general rule most of them are so far up their own dashboard its annoying to talk to them. Ive currently just moved over to mac and im loving it. I enjoy the fact that for my personal usage this machine is far far beyond anything ive used before although having said that as much as i love my new mac ive found at least 50% of the features it has to be useless and have perfectly good alternatives for pc. In fact i find a lot of the little tricks to be a little annoying. Having said that it does what i want it to do extremely well. The thing i hate most tho is the fact that ow theres all the mac users i know all of a sudden seem ten times more interested in talking to me about computers.
csoftdev
there are people who hate certain OS as no OS is perfect.
I don't use MacOS but I don't hate it either.
Why people hate MacOS? oh well, too many reasons and possibilities.
zjosie729
After I used linux, I realized how bad Windows was, so I started disliking windows. But I still think Windows is nice. It has a lot of features. But ever since I got a chance to use a Mac, I always liked it better.
mcfearless
Yeah, I find talking with the mac fans I know fairly difficult. They are very one sided and very close-minded. However that being said MS fanboys are just as bad.
The Mitchell
mcfearless wrote:
Yeah, I find talking with the mac fans I know fairly difficult. They are very one sided and very close-minded. However that being said MS fanboys are just as bad.

basically fanboys are gay. Every operating system has its good and bad points its just a case of [picking out what suits your needs best. I chose mac as i use my computer almost solely for music production and media stuffs these days. Tbh theres not really much point in me using anything else. I think its been fairly well proven that mac are far beyond any other os for audio production. PCs do ok but now mac have the stronghold on protools and logic software wise they own the industry standards and as for linux well lets be honest there isnt anything worhtwhile for audio engineers on there.
simplyw00x
Quote:
as for linux well lets be honest there isnt anything worhtwhile for audio engineers on there.

By god, you're right! Jackd, rosegarden, lmms, oxygen, audacity and wine (allowing one to use many of the windows programs, including Guitar Pro) are well-known to not exist.

...


No.


The reason users behave how they do is in part due to advertising. Apple targets people with a little computer knowledge and their platform is 'better than windows', so better than windows they claim to be. MS advertising targets... well,basically no-one important in this discussion (enterprises), but their market exposure comes from being default, and legions of people (and some ITT) take the 'everything else is a minority for a reason' approach. Saly, linux advertises to everyone and advocates evangelism, so there are a great many linux fanboys too.
DarkAkira
The Mitchell wrote:
...and as for linux well lets be honest there isnt anything worthwhile for audio engineers on there.


I'll agree on this one.

Yes linux has few audio editors/recorders, and Wine is available, but overall its still pretty terrible. I can't stand audacity, and the others programs native to linux were severely lacking for what I need to do in audio production.

The best I found for Windows Was Adobe Audition, which is by far the best for Windows. It is extremely powerful, and made by Adobe. But even that lacks in some areas.

I have to say Logic Pro 8 is an amazing application for audio production, and mixed with Reason 4.0 and some FL Studio via Parallels Desktop, there is nothing you can't do.

Another great app I found useful was Soundtrack that comes with Final Cut Studio 2. Really nice applications.
furtasacra
I hate Windows. It's bloatware. It has security holes you could drive a Panzer tank through. Windows is no good for anything but gaming. It pretty much sucks for that, too, because of the security issues and resource hogging, but for some reason, most of the cool games only run on a Windblows PC.

I hate Mac, because I can't afford one.

I like Linux, because it's free and fast and more secure than Windows, but it won't run my favorite software.

*sigh*
----------

If I had a lot of money, I would have three computers:

a truly bad-ass PC gaming rig,

a Mac for creative endeavors; video and music editing, or graphics and animation, and

a Linux machine for web surfing and general productivity.


but I'm poor, so I have to make do with a PC. Can anybody point me to some clear, concise, printer-friendly, step-by-step instructions for setting up a dual boot Windows XP/Ubuntu machine with two separate hard drives?

EDIT:

NEVER MIND, I figured it out all by myself. Very Happy
achowles
1. Fanboys are annoying regardless of their fandom. Mac fans seem to have this air of superiority about them because they paid twice as much for the same hardware just so they could use a shiny OS that isn't compatible with much. So when you add the elitism to the usual annoyance that fanboys cause, it's not hard to see why they're disliked.

Add to that the fact that Macs really are just PCs now with a limiting OS... what's to be elitist about?
Bengt
not all mac-users are like that, that's just a silly stereotype.
Flarkis
Ok main reason for hating mac users is that 1st the system its self is incredibly limited. A retard could use it but for a developer it is hell. And also people are always well a mac is better, and if you ask why they tell you "because".
DarkAkira
Flarkis wrote:
Ok main reason for hating mac users is that 1st the system its self is incredibly limited. A retard could use it but for a developer it is hell. And also people are always well a mac is better, and if you ask why they tell you "because".


OS X is just fine for development. I use it all the time for applications. Not a big deal.

And if someone says "because" for an answer, then they are retarded. There are alot of good reasons "why". If your actually curious, ask someone with a brain.

And I don't know where your getting this "Macs are limited" crap. Sounds like someone doesn't know what they are talking about.
ProfessorY91
Wonderful. Finally someone steps up to the plate with this topic.

Here are a few facts I know to be true:

- Macs have compatibility problems: New software, and/or games that are not mainstream are developed much later for macs. It may not be a very big issue, but it is true. Those who use Macs have to wait longer than those who use PCs. For a developer, this can be an issue.

- Macs have sacrificed customization/user modification for better security. Just try messing with the OS X source if you don't know what you are doing, and watch what happens. However, the same freedom to mod is on a Mac just as it is on a PC. Its just more of a pain in the butt.

- AppleScripting sucks. Your computer can't be made to work for you w/o third party software. (Dont even try to defend.)

- Obscure, yet useful programming languages have development issues and performance as well as compatibility issues with Macs due to the nature of the OS Series's operating system.

As far as I'm concerned this quote sums the situation up well.

"The universe is locked in an unending struggle with its inhabitants. Software developers are struggling to make programs more idiot-proof, and the universe is struggling to make stupider idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. Macs are proof of this phenomenon."

Then again... I can rant and rave all I want, and my opinion is just that: mine.
It is: Macs Suck.

And another finer point to a certain user above...

I'm a web developer too. Not to mention that I make my living teaching a class that focuses on software engineering. Its nothing special, and it doesn't make me, my posts, or opinions any more or less important than everyone elses.

Im Out.[/b]
ChrisAntreasian
Because if they did nobody would make any money and people would be happy. Can't have that now can we? I have no problem with operating systems getting better but do they have to make the software that runs on the old systems obsolete? I don't know about Windows and any variant of them , I do know that Mac 10.5 doesn't support 9.1 any more. All that good software going to waste. My wallet has trouble absorbing the compatible software. In a word grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Some clever software designer should design the Rosseta Stone of operating systems that will run everything. That would trés cool!!
zeroburnrox
I've always wanted to try out a Mac. Unfortunately, I lack $1500 to just "try out" a new computer.
So, of course, I've tried to talk about the comparisons to the few Mac people I've met. All I can get out of them is "I can do anything a PC can do!!" followed by an anti-Microsoft rant. Now I'm no pro-Microsoft by any stretch of the imagination (see my threads asking about Linux), but obviously, Microsoft and the PC in general must be doing something right.
The handful of Mac peeps I know seem to want to ignore this point. As a matter of fact, they all seem to have these snotty attitudes and think they've discovered some little secret that makes them better than the average computer user.
Now I know, not every Mac user is like this, but I'm telling you, the few I have met certainly fit this description.
One guy I used to work with comes to mind when I think of Mac users. He already was a know-it-all to begin with. He was just so condescending when it came to discussions about computers. His last words were always
Come to think about it, my brother-in-law's family have always used Macs in there family business. His mother gave my nephew a Mac for Christmas. My brother-in-law was laughing about how my nephew was going to cop an attitude now.
silvereye
I had 4 PC notebooks until I coverted to my macBook 9 months ago upon the insistence of my husband who is so clueless that he needs a secretary for Facebook (me). He acted as loanshark and pusher, but I am glad I made the switch. Along with this I was gifted an Ipod touch from my dearest big sis, and I love the package! Made my on-the-go life much more connected to friends and family.

1. I am in Spain now and a few months ago, I used the "Sleep" function and moved the computer without waiting for the blink... long story short, warranty didn't cover this and I was billed about $100.

2. I use internet cafes all the time, and its really annoying to see the guy with the brand new PC running window Vista, and clueless as to how to get it connected. I am usually a nice person and try to be helpful, but I really have no idea on that new system. Plus the Spanish tech. words are not so decipherable.

Overall I think that all the little gadgets are actually underpriced... to lure u in for the kill, which would be this overpriced MacBook which I do LOVE. Ultimately, as long as it keep working, so fingers-crossed on them viruses... I have NO CLUE what LINUX is about, but I am a GUI person so... I will stick to what I know.
boomouse
DarkAkira wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:
well im not sure if i hate apple or just macs....

I know i'm fed up with the constant attempts to bash windows on their commercials.. i mean i dont really like windows but i dont hate it either, its just.. one commercial was alright.. then they come out with like.. 20 different ones all attacking windows and how bad it is... which is really annoying after a while which makes me hate mac even more. Then i dont like the way the mac os is layed out, or its gui... or the cases and keyboards too. theyre just.... i dont know what the word is that describes it. Now , i suppose apple is a bit different from me hating macs... Apple, i suppose i avoid their products because of the ipods.. bout 80% of people with mp3 players at school, have ipods. And i like to stand out and be different from everyone, which is why dont have an ipod. And then ipods remind me of a mac as well i guess.. i guess im wierd like that XD . I think ill just stick to my linux and windoze ^^


Not sure why a commercial would make you mad...

I thought if anyone would be mad it'd be Bill Gates.

Anyway. Cool if you don't like macs. They're not for everyone. It happens.

But if I may make a recommendation, don't cast off iPod's just because everyone uses them. Or cause they are Apple (or like Mac). They are actually really good mp3 players. I've been suing them for years (not exclusively), and so far they are my favorite player.

Especially the iPodTouch. Those are fun.

I'm not saying go out and buy one. Just, idk, give them a chance? I guess. I think that's what I'm saying.


You are SOOO right on this one. That is all it is really, Macs are not for everyone. If they were, I wouldn't buy them. I wish I could afford to use all Macs but the reality of it is that its is a bit hard to do in a 200-seat call center in the Far East. On the other hand, end-of-life or not, I am forced to tough it out with XP because switching to Vista would be like buying another PC on the cost of the OS alone (Asian prices, remember?). Plus, Vista is so bloated with fluff and so pokey that a Vista machine with 2GB of RAM barely runs faster than XP on 512MB of RAM. Plus I don't have to play Russian roulette with my printers and other peripherals hoping Vista won't spit them out.

The staff prefer XP so XP it is until Microsoft sends a messiah (and it better not be Steve Ballmer). I prefer a Mac. I am smug, fanboyish, and utterly enamored with the OS and I'm proud of it. By buying Apple I buy an American product (albeit made in China). I think of it as a way to 'give back' some of the earnings of a business thriving because American labour has priced itself out of the world market and the internet has allowed us to compete there.
oufti
what the question of this topic:

why people hate mac os user's ?


B E C A U S E Evil or Very Mad
jdelfire
why hate mac????

1. because if you are using mac its like your alone in an island.....
2. most people like to play games....... mac does not have the best games... mac dont partner well with the gaming industry..
3. global compatibilty most of the company is using windows... so if your company uses windows and u want to bring ur work at home you shud also be using the same OS's and programs for easy work
4. if bought a mac system u cant just buy a replacement parts in any retail store... you have to get it from mac....
5. less programs can be installed in the system because mac dont want to share their technology if you are a software developer u have to pay mac first if you want to have a rights to do that. compare to windows people can create their own program freeware shareware...

in 3 simple words "mac is boring"
albuferque
Lots of people hate Mac users because they had to work with OS 9 on machines made for schools, like the eMac. Whilst not "crap" it wasn't exactly the best, and OS 9 was truly buggy and craptacular so far as Mac OS's go. First impressions make a big impact, and most of the current generation of computer users will have had used those systems growing up.

Most people will have grown up with Windows, myself included, and until I actually saw and used a Mac properly I didn't know what all the fuss was about. Having used something other than Windows I began to see Windows for what it is, a stagnent old piece of crap that's poorly made and doesn't really progress. Any progression with Windows is generally done by 3rd parties who have nothing to do with Microsoft, they just use their platform to give users something better than the OS itself can give.

And the main reason for Windows dominance in the "hardcore" world will most likely be GAMING. There's just far more to choose from on Windows than OS X.

Lots of people prefer to build their own systems too, I do this myself for Linux, but this is more to do with the fact that most PC OEM's SUCK, they give you very poor quality hardware, in a poorly designed case with a poorly designed OS and jam pack the hard drive with useless crap you'll never use and just end up uninstalling on your first boot... that takes about 10 mins. The only OEM I trust is GNU.

Surprised Surprised Surprised
DarkAkira
jdelfire wrote:
why hate mac????

1. because if you are using mac its like your alone in an island.....
2. most people like to play games....... mac does not have the best games... mac dont partner well with the gaming industry..
3. global compatibilty most of the company is using windows... so if your company uses windows and u want to bring ur work at home you shud also be using the same OS's and programs for easy work
4. if bought a mac system u cant just buy a replacement parts in any retail store... you have to get it from mac....
5. less programs can be installed in the system because mac dont want to share their technology if you are a software developer u have to pay mac first if you want to have a rights to do that. compare to windows people can create their own program freeware shareware...

in 3 simple words "mac is boring"


You FAIL so hardcore with that whole post it is unbelievable. Yet another user who THINKS they know what they are talking about because someone else said it, and they've never used one. AWESOME! Just what we need. MORE down syndrome in the world.

1. There is no alone, thats just a retarded statement

2. Mac has LOTS of great games, including new releases. And they have deals with EA for EA's newest titles to be on mac, and Activision also releases alot of their stuff on mac.

3. Mac's is compatible just fine in alot of corporate environments. As with windows, it's just a matter of tweaking for full compatibility, and having the right tools.

4.You can buy parts from newegg for christ sake. From third party manufacturers. Not hard. And swapping parts isn't hard either. Only cases/Laptop casings NEED to come from apple.

5. You don't have to pay to be a developer. Not at all. There is a pay program that gives you access to early beta's of new OS's, programs, and some other neat tools, but the Mac Development tools (Xcode suite), and much of Apple's core source code is freely available to all registered developers. ANd it costs nothing to become a registered developer.

I'm not saying "Love Mac". Everyone has their OS preferences. But don't be completely retarded about it, and get your facts straight from your own research and experience. Don't just take what people say, and then make your own assumptions. That's just stupid. Like... Worshiping mayonnaise as a god stupid.
albuferque
AKARUI DESU NEE !

YASASHII KOTOBA ITTE KUDASAI

Wink
gmomo
The service can't be beat... since you can't get a "bootleg" mac its a dream come true to get repairs.
I had my graphics chip blow out on my MacBook Pro (Early 2008 edition), which caused damage to my motherboard and they fixed it for free. The total cost would have been $805 dollars. Its a known problem and they are committed to fixing it for free for any machine it occurs on. Simple things like that set Apple/Macs apart from the competition. And no charge for diagnostics/free estimates at any Apple store.

Its true most people criticize Mac's without actually learning how to get around.

My only beef is there's no "MERGE" function like Windows has. So when you drag folder "A" into another folder with the same name "A" it will delete all the contents inside! Ahh! Prehistoric in my book.

Greg
Fire Boar
Threadnomancy much? That's mostly irrelevant to the topic anyway.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
I hate Windows. It's bloatware.


Really... I don't see how the bare necessities for a computer is bloatware. Hell, Linux comes with MORE than what Windows comes with (at least Ubuntu does). I think you're confused on what your talking about. When you first buy a computer, yeah it's bloated. It is not bloated with software from Windows, it's bloated from the software from the computer manufacturer. Why? Well, they think their product is the best. Simply uninstall all the crap you don't need and tada no more bloat, although it was really never Windows fault to begin with.

I'd also like to point on to all the mac fans that their computers aren't really secure. Sure, they have a slightly higher chance of not getting a virus but here's why:

- It's based off FreeBSD. So basically, if everybody is coding viruses they're obviously not going to do it on Windows, that would be dumb.

- Nobody care's about Mac. It's a minority, and Windows is a majority. Obviously for virus "developers" to make money they're not going to give a flying crap about Mac because nobody uses it compared to Windows.

- Direct quote from apple.com/getamac/faq: "And although no computer connected to the Internet is completely immune to all viruses and spyware." There you go, Apple themselves said that even Mac isn't completely secure from viruses. Also what cracks me up is that they say that Mac is 100% secure from Windows viruses. No shit, Sherlock. Can mac's use .exe without a emulator? :O

- Another thing that questions me (completely offtopic): why can you run Windows on a Mac, but you can't run Mac on a PC? (with ease) If Mac is so great, why do they give you the ability to run Windows. If Mac can do everything Windows can then tell your boss at your work that you couldn't do the job cause you Mac wouldn't le... oh wait that's not the point. So now that you can't do the work, you gotta go install Windows because that's what WORKS. Another thing, if Microsoft sucks the shit why do people use Office? Open Office is a FREE program that does the same thing Office can.. oh cause Office is pretty much the most widely used office application, where's the mac version? Right, that failed.

Quote:
I had my graphics chip blow out on my MacBook Pro (Early 2008 edition), which caused damage to my motherboard and they fixed it for free. The total cost would have been $805 dollars.


Dude, if I had to pay $805 (even if you got it for free) I would personally go out and buy a Windows machine. Also, many PC companies give warranties like that.

Quote:
Only cases/Laptop casings NEED to come from apple.


Dude you fail so much with this reply. Are you dumb? Go to Best Buy or Futureshop, whatever, and you'll see cases for Mac stuff. They don't NEED to come from Apple unless you BUY them from Apple. Duh.

I'm actually really surprized I never posted here before. Thanks for reviving!

P.S: Linux people are cool, nothing against you cause Linux users don't brag how awesome it is, although it is. Razz
HalfBloodPrince
Diablosblizz wrote:
- Another thing that questions me (completely offtopic): why can you run Windows on a Mac, but you can't run Mac on a PC? (with ease)


I run (ran) it with great ease on my HP Pavilion notebook. Twisted Evil It was fun playing around with it in the summer; however, when school started and I started using my laptop for working I tried getting something done in OS X (I had a triple boot, Windows 7 + Ubuntu 9.04 + Leopard). I usually only work in Windows (I'm sorry, OpenOffice must be great, but not for me Razz) but I thought hey, there's the official MS Office for Macs so why not try that. Ugh. Office was okay, it's just that whole GUI, the whole Aqua interface, it's pointlessly...stupid (for lack of a better word). The way the traffic light doesn't work the way it should, the maximize button doesn't do what it should (it just stretches the window to show all content), the way pressing the close button just closes that instance of the program, that gay genie effect, the retarded file renaming system, the way you can't just press eject to open the disc drive (how you have to drag it to the trash icon), the way you have to configure a show desktop mechanism yourself ("hot corners" -.-), and the way certain terminology is arbitrarily changed just to make it different from Windows.

And I forgot to mention, Steve Jobs wants to advertise in Mac OS X! Very Happy Nothing like enjoying your dumb iLife programs to be interrupted with a giant full screen banner depicting a big Gatorade bottle...not saying they -will- do it, but they're going in that direction... mmk?

Lastly, what pisses me off is that Microsoft did a pretty f*cking good job with Office 2008 for Mac, yet Apple's iTunes for Windows is a bloated, shitty, slow program that tries to force it's own GUI (I -hate- programs that do that), plus installing about 4 other Apple programs just to function.

Anyhoo, I still love my iPod touch Very Happy
Diablosblizz
I wish I could figure out how to run it, still haven't yet.

Quote:
Lastly, what pisses me off is that Microsoft did a pretty f*cking good job with Office 2008 for Mac, yet Apple's iTunes for Windows is a bloated, shitty, slow program that tries to force it's own GUI (I -hate- programs that do that), plus installing about 4 other Apple programs just to function.


I don't use iTunes anymore, even though I have a iPod (and still syncing) I use WMP to sync now. Even when I did, I had all of the "extras" uninstall or disabled in my services. I don't give a crap that you need a goddamn Mobile support, why the hell are you installing it. Crappy piece of software I REFUSE to use.

Quote:
And I forgot to mention, Steve Jobs wants to advertise in Mac OS X! Very Happy Nothing like enjoying your dumb iLife programs to be interrupted with a giant full screen banner depicting a big Gatorade bottle...not saying they -will- do it, but they're going in that direction... mmk?


What... the... f$%#? Are you kidding me? Advertisements in a OS.... *sigh* another reason why Apple fails.
oreogami
I'm not really a fan of Apple. I don't use much of their products (I only use an iPod because Microsoft's zunes look bad.)
I just don't want to pay ~$600 - $5,000 for a Mac, and then get their OS. Also, since you can't install it on other hardware (non-macs) legally, I wouldn't use it.
I don't really mind them though.
tingkagol
Same here. One thing I don't understand and has completely baffled me for years is exactly why the Mac is so expensive.

Okay, here's a challenge for Mac users:
Can you name an extremely good reason why Macs are priced 3 or 5 times as much as an equally powerful PC?

My answer? Consumer Elitism.

And don't tell me Macs don't get any viruses. That's a myth. Also, Win 7 is pretty secure and free antivirus programs are quite effective these days.

Also, take a look at this thread where some guy asked the same question. A bunch of replies couldn't get any more technical than "you are paying for functionality", or "you are paying for value", "Macs meet my needs". Huh? These people have ABSOLUTELY no idea what they're talking about. Elitism, it's all it is.
Ankhanu
It really depends on your definition of "extremely good", really. My reasons don't necessarily motivate others I know.

The reasons I buy Mac:
.: Good aesthetic combined with quality construction/design (I'm a laptop user, doesn't apply as much for desktops)
.: OS X - vastly better interface in my opinion. THIS is what a user deals with every day and is very important.
.: Good hardware - they're not THAT much more expensive than a similarly speced and part quality system from another company, certainly less than double, much less 3-5x. Remember, it's not just power, but also build quality.
.: Built to last - combination of built/part quality and the nature of a proprietary OS; the hardware lasts, and the OS is built to be compatible with a small suite of build architecture, meaning he designers can better work to optimize for new and old configurations. This also leads to greater system stability (generally).

Really, if I weren't a Mac user, I'd be a Linux user... Just as diverse in hardware as Windows, but with a better UI experience with lesser system requirements, and generally more stable.
tingkagol
Ankhanu wrote:
It really depends on your definition of "extremely good", really. My reasons don't necessarily motivate others I know.

I guess it all boils down to that. Although I do admit Macs look real slick and I've also heard they're quite good for multimedia, these reasons are still not enough for me to shell out more cash for my purposes, as well as a system with lesser software compatibility, lesser hardware availability, and significantly more pricey to upgrade - although I'm not quite sure if you can 'upgrade' a Mac.

Perhaps when the system starts offering a more compelling feature, or if in the future I decide to be a music producer, then I might consider owning a Mac.


As for other Apple products, I own an iPod nano after a very frustrating experience with a Creative mp3 player. While I liked its functionality (EQ controls, better file/playlist control without needing to be connected to a computer) it suddenly died on me a month after I purchased it. I then succeeded to purchase a 2nd gen iPod nano (which forced me to use the god-awful itunes software) which, despite its lesser features, served its purpose until it got stolen. I'm now a happy owner of a 5th gen Nano. It still has lackluster features compared to my once upon a time Creative device, but I've grown used to it I guess.
Ankhanu
tingkagol wrote:
I guess it all boils down to that. Although I do admit Macs look real slick and I've also heard they're quite good for multimedia, these reasons are still not enough for me to shell out more cash for my purposes, as well as a system with lesser software compatibility, lesser hardware availability, and significantly more pricey to upgrade - although I'm not quite sure if you can 'upgrade' a Mac.

You *can*, but, the models that most people are using, your options are limited: HDD/SSD, RAM, CPU and with a lot of work, some other components... Basically the same components you could upgrade on most laptops out there, Mac or otherwise.
The MacPro, which are the heavy-duty work stations with full size towers (very expensive) have many more upgrade options, with better accessibility... but these are not the Macs most people buy, they're largely used commercially.

As for software, it really depends on what you're doing. Cross platform compatibility issues aren't that big an impediment these days. It certainly used to be, but it's largely gone.
The only instances where I still boot in to Windows these days due to software incompatibility is with a couple statistical packages that are Windows only, and to play some modern games (i.e. Fallout 3/New Vegas and Star Wars the Old Republic). Everything else either has a Mac version, or a Mac equivalent that will work cross-platform. For most users (except gamers), compatibility between Mac, Windows and Linux just isn't an issue anymore.

tingkagol wrote:
Perhaps when the system starts offering a more compelling feature, or if in the future I decide to be a music producer, then I might consider owning a Mac.

With Jobs dead, who knows where the company will go in the future Wink

tingkagol wrote:
As for other Apple products, I own an iPod nano after a very frustrating experience with a Creative mp3 player. While I liked its functionality (EQ controls, better file/playlist control without needing to be connected to a computer) it suddenly died on me a month after I purchased it. I then succeeded to purchase a 2nd gen iPod nano (which forced me to use the god-awful itunes software) which, despite its lesser features, served its purpose until it got stolen. I'm now a happy owner of a 5th gen Nano. It still has lackluster features compared to my once upon a time Creative device, but I've grown used to it I guess.

iTunes for Windows is a sack of...
iTunes on a Mac, while still a bit bloated, works MUCH better Razz
The difference is as disappointing as the lack of compatibility between MS Office and Mac MS Office files in prior versions of Office (the current versions seem to like one another though). iTunes should work as well in Windows as in Mac OS, but, alas. It's a major stumbling block for iPods.

That said, my first apple product was an iPod Photo 20Gb, and it was, by far, the best mp3 player style at the time I got it. Some of the competition have some better features now, but, I still find the iPod interfaces/formats best (but that's pretty subjective). I've had a Sony and Creative MP3 player, and have sold several other brands and models while working retail, and none have been anywhere close to as good as an iPod.
Those things really did revolutionize how we listen to music Smile
PeteWalker74
The same reason people use the word to describe any other damned thing... because they are immature and irrational. I prefer Windows over Mac, and I have justifiable reasons to why I believe that. I bought my folks an iMac 3 years ago, and they love it. I just bought my mom and iPhone, and she loves that. It's all about the right product for the person, and for someone to claim they have such an emotional response about something so minor, is honestly ridiculous, and they need some perspective in their lives.
davidv
There are $11_2$ (for anyone that knows LaTeX) types of people that use Mac:

01. The fanboys
10. Developers
11. Users that want to try something new

Unfortunately the general public view mac users as "fanboys". Hence all the hate. Who doesn't hate a fanboy? God, I hate fanboys Laughing

Well, that's just my theory.

Haters gonna hate. Cool
tingkagol
Ankhanu wrote:
iTunes for Windows is a sack of...
iTunes on a Mac, while still a bit bloated, works MUCH better Razz
The difference is as disappointing as the lack of compatibility between MS Office and Mac MS Office files in prior versions of Office (the current versions seem to like one another though). iTunes should work as well in Windows as in Mac OS, but, alas. It's a major stumbling block for iPods.

Compatibility issues between iTunes and Windows isn't really my concern. It's more the interface and functionality. For instance, I can't figure out how to play just a single album on repeat from my itunes library without typing the complete album name or adding the album itself as a playlist. I've set my iPod to automatically sync with itunes (for last.fm compatibility), so adding unneeded playlists is a no-no for me.

The software itself also comes at a hefty 70mb install file. I honestly don't know why something so simple is that bloated. And why do I have to have Quicktime in order to install itunes? On the upside, iTunes is currently the only software (i think) that supports Airplay (an apple feature) which lets me play music wirelessly - probably the only cool thing about it. I'm waiting for Winamp to catch up / emulate Airplay.
Ankhanu wrote:
I've had a Sony and Creative MP3 player, and have sold several other brands and models while working retail, and none have been anywhere close to as good as an iPod.
Those things really did revolutionize how we listen to music

My first mp3 player was a Creative 512mb usb/mp3 player and my only qualms with it was the space (it's still alive to this day). Wanting to have more space, I then bought a Creative Zen:

This broke down after a month of usage, which then led to my iPods. iPods are good, but would be miles better without the iTunes prerequisite.
Related topics
What is your operating system?
Windows vs. Mac OS
MAC os X run on a PC?
Mac OS tiger running on vmware
First Mac OS X Worm a Wake-Up Call
Bluetooth worm targets Mac OS X
What do you think about Mac OS X?
Mac OS X on a Xbox 360 or Playstation 3? Maybe possible?
To share files on a Windows XP and a Mac OS X
Windows XP vs Mac OS X
XP v/s Vista v/s Mac OS v/s Linux
MAC OS on PC for nerds
Mac OS on Intel PC
Mac OS X Lion--The world most advanced OS
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.