FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cloverfield

TurtleShell
I was wondering if this is any good. I've been seeing the ads, I've paid a little attention to the hype. Anyone gone to see it? Is it worthwhile? Scary? Stupid?
blinx
Looks good. I am going to see it when it is released in February with a few friends. Actually, I can't wait!
Indyan
The movie is already out.
Reviews here : http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cloverfield/
The-Super-Freak
I saw it today. I thought it was really crap, really really crap. I hated how it was shot from 'their perspective' because the filming was crappy, although, I must say, it was original.
The ending was so sh!t, it was like the writers suddenly though 'ohh crap, how do we end this thing?' For starters, there was no explanation to what was attacking Manhattan, why it was attackng it, where it came from and how it could be stopped. According to the movie, the 'monster' is still out there and ain't gonna be stopped. I also had no explanation of why that marlynee girl had to be shot [but I did figure it out] and what happened to the girl that was whisked away in the helicopter.

I have a feeling that they left the story open so there could be a sequel- J.J. Abrams usually has really good movies- shame. The only scene I actually liked was the party scene.

But thats enough of my verbal bashing Very Happy
linangan
In my list of most anticipated movies of 2007, Cloverfield made that list. The baby of producer J.J Abrams who wanted to create the American version of a monster to rival the Godzilla and King Kongs of yesteryear. To the ones who went to this movie and are now complaining of how the movie was shot, shut up. J.J Abrams (LOST CREATOR), producer, and Matt Reeves, director, didn’t want another run-of-the-mill monster movie where the movie starts out with the explanation of what the monstrosity is. What is the fun in that? If that is your cup of tea there are like 40 of those at the movie store, go rent it and choke on your tea. This is a new-look, new-age, rendition of the monster movie that ends with you having more questions than answers, masterfully done. Cloverfield is to monster movie as the Blair Witch Project was to the ghost story. Either you loved or hated The Blair Witch Project (The first one of course), and I do feel audiences will either love or hate Cloverfield.
snowboardalliance
I thought it was pretty original. I didn't think it was great, but I liked the concept. I mean it was way more realistic because there were no camera crews or anything and it made sense that not everything would be explained. I mean it wasn't so predictable that some of them would die and in the end you learn everything and a couple survive and it's happy. The shaky camera was kind of annoying but still it was a cool concept.
roxys_art
Original? It reminds me of a movie I once saw. Hmm, I can't remember the details, but it has something to do with some giant lizard terrorizing a city. I don't know. I can't really recall all the details...
bluefossil
linangan wrote:
In my list of most anticipated movies of 2007, Cloverfield made that list. The baby of producer J.J Abrams who wanted to create the American version of a monster to rival the Godzilla and King Kongs of yesteryear. To the ones who went to this movie and are now complaining of how the movie was shot, shut up. J.J Abrams (LOST CREATOR), producer, and Matt Reeves, director, didn’t want another run-of-the-mill monster movie where the movie starts out with the explanation of what the monstrosity is. What is the fun in that? If that is your cup of tea there are like 40 of those at the movie store, go rent it and choke on your tea. This is a new-look, new-age, rendition of the monster movie that ends with you having more questions than answers, masterfully done. Cloverfield is to monster movie as the Blair Witch Project was to the ghost story. Either you loved or hated The Blair Witch Project (The first one of course), and I do feel audiences will either love or hate Cloverfield.

This was no where near on my to see list. just saw it cause I ended up at some rinky dink Theatre and my choices were limited. The Movie was ok, And I only say ok because they had some hot chicks I knew in it. I may have liked the movie more if it focused more on the monster and not on the kids running from it.
snowboardalliance
roxys_art wrote:
Original? It reminds me of a movie I once saw. Hmm, I can't remember the details, but it has something to do with some giant lizard terrorizing a city. I don't know. I can't really recall all the details...

Haha well I was talking about the style more. I mean how many movies in the past 10 years are completely original? Anyway I just thought it was a cool concept to have it filmed more like it was really happening so it feels like just a camcorder and not like the plot is completely spelled out for you (i.e. you never know what the monster was or what happened). It wasn't great, but it was a good idea.
lethaltriad
i saw the clips and it doesnt looks that interesting to me.. i was reading the reviews and they tried to make it fully from our point of view to leave some sort of mystery and not knowing exactly what is out there. It looks like a blair witch knockoff to me and I get dizzy and sick watching these shaky camera angle shows so i think i'll pass on this one.
driftingfe3s
The movie was okay. It was more of an experience than anything else. There was no real character or plot development and it was really a documentary type. The visuals and effects were great though and the movie gets very intense at times so I would say it was a good experience overall despite it not feeling like a movie at all.
blk3
A friend of min already watched it, and she said that she didn't like the way it was shot. I myself haven't seen it yet, I'll have to see it first maybe to judge if its good or not.
scottycrip
I thought it was great. Just imagine being in a city when it was attacked by Godzilla. You don't know why it's attacking or when it will end or where it came from. You're just trying to survive. That's what this movie tried to create. Someone that complains about the lack of visuals on the monster or open plot lines or anything like that just doesn't get what type of movie it was. To be honest, I thought they did a good job explaining what was going on. They kind of cheated by filming the news story at the electronics store, so we got to sort of see what was going on. And to the people who complained we didnt get to see the monster at all, what movie did you watch? We got to see it many times and without trying to give away too much there was one really good shot of it towards the end.... i say go see it if you have an open mind. If not, then go see rambo or 27 dresses.
McDucque
I didn't enjoy it too much, I thought the concept of the tape was hokey, the characters weren't really emotionally grasping, about the same as a hurt puppy. The monster itself was kinda lame - basically a lhurgoyf - and the ending was a letdown, too.

I've heard of a possible sequel, where it'd be the same exact monster and time line, just other people with another camera.
Zaini711
A very big letdown. The camera "effect" is sickening. Don't talk about the monster...... what's the hell is that ?????? And the ending ? Shit.... A very very very bad movie right from beginning. From idea stage it's already suck..... But, it do have some good moment... But in general... wste of a good can of film...
pabloa
I think is a very good movie Smile

GoDHiM
Id like it, not the best movie of the year, but its not bad...enjoy it
dcfive65ive
i must say, this is the best movie i have ever seen. Its like Godzilla meets the Blair witch Project. Camera view was a little dizzy but the whole concept of the movie was just very outstanding.
GigaForce
>>That movie was....REALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.......a BIG CRAP..........

>>Buy the ticket is a big lost...
applejunk
In my opinion, this movie was way too overhyped. People are saying it's the next new thing, and saying how it's a "smart" movie because of its' storyline and the way it was produced and filmed. This movie was such a disappointment I don't even know what to say anymore. My friends and I walked out of the movie theater speechless because it was just...horrible. And I agree, it was basically Blair Witch Project gone sci-fi.

<====WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD========>

The movie had absolutely no plot whatsoever. Okay sure, he loved the girl and wanted to go back for her, but gg, in the process he killed 2 of his friends as well as himself along with his beloved. The only one that did survive was because she wasn't with him, otherwise I'm sure she would've ended up dying also. Wasn't the whole point of the movie about the monster? We probably only got about two close up shots of the monster in all, and at the end of the movie, we don't even know what happened to it. I believe many people came to see the monster, and this movie just failed everybody.
browncoat777
Haven't seen it, and not sure if I'll ever make it a priority to see it.

I find it tremendously ironic that a lot of people complained about the brief moments of shaky camera action in epic-style movies like Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, or Transformers turn around and try to call a movie that sticks to that perspective the whole time innovative or original.

Also, the allegation that making a movie from a limited perspective is better and more original is just plain stoopid(sic). Why not remake LOTR, but only from smeagol's perspective? Then you would know how freaky huge everything was relative to him, and you'd have no clue how the movie ended. Because making a grand-scale epic movie that incorporates personal drama AND large-scale perspectives and meta-plot explanations makes a movie more difficult to make and much better if done right. Really, if we don't know if the monster--whatever it is--CAN be stopped by the US military, then why does it matter that anybody escapes the city? Maybe the monster just destroyed the whole planet afterwards.
dickyzin
After seeing the trailer, it didn't appeal to me that much. I saw the head of the Statue of Liberty being thrown onto the street. If it were meant to be the real Statue of Liberty, it wouldn't be that small. Anyways, I'll watch it later on but I don't expect much out of it.
anonex
I was kind of dissapointed after i saw it. They just hyped it to much...
viraj
Crying or Very sad
Hey I have downloaded this using the torrents... after downloading the entire 1.5 Gig when I tried to view it.. it was all vein.. the movie was locked with some specific coded and also the site where the codec was present was asking me to subscripe for nude site's free trial..

Idea Any one has a torrent to download this movie in ENG...
annapurnatraders
anonex wrote:
I was kind of dissapointed after i saw it. They just hyped it to much...

I was going to watch this movie, then my friend who have seen this movie told me it isn't a good movie. So i didn't, which i think i made a right choice by not watching this crap movie.
viraj
I dont feel this is a crap. Its a good piece of work..
irishmark
I am a Video Editor by trade and I loved this movie.

There wasnt much to it. It's not hugley awe inspiring, not amazing in its special fx, but it has something.

It seems to have takes some basic filmmaking ideas over the past 30 years and sewn them together quite nicley.
dickyzin
Is the DVD out for Cloverfield? If not, anyone know when it will come out?
Nutteloos
After reading the comments here, I know for sure I'm not going to waste my money on a cinema ticket for it. Thank you all! Smile
Guelila
Zaini711 wrote:
A very big letdown. The camera "effect" is sickening. Don't talk about the monster...... what's the hell is that ?????? And the ending ? Shit.... A very very very bad movie right from beginning. From idea stage it's already suck..... But, it do have some good moment... But in general... wste of a good can of film...

I agree with Zaini711
the point of view is nothing special, and doesnt make the movie any better.
The story line is pretty weird, with no explanations whatsoever to where the monster appeared from.
I dont even want to talk about the ending, just one word... wtf??
the little monsters look like spawn broodlings from starcraft..

other than a few action scenes with the army and all, this movie sucks. Razz Confused Mad
MRaftery
I thought it was OK.

If you treat it as a bit of a novelty and like something a bit different then you will enjoy it. That said, I take the point about the jerky camera - it was a bit off putting
Fake
very very big disappointment
crimson_aria
I liked Cloverfield. Sure it's not the type of movie most people would love but I did enjoy watching it. Nice concept. showed how disasters can come pretty sudden and how people might react from it. the ending's kind of hanging though. i don't know if there's a sequel coming but I'll watch if there is. but if there's none, it's okay. there are some things that are sometimes left unexplained.
haydxn
I loved it. It's just a great piece of cinema, really well scripted and structured, and it has lots of great suspense and set-pieces. Honestly, apart from issues with the shaky camera, I really can't understand what problems people have with this film. Cracking stuff.
simonwest80
I think this film is Marmite - You love it or you hate it

Me, i thought it was excellent. Ok i dont like the fact that in some situation people become sooooo stupid (Yep seen this in Lost as well) and agree with some of the other posts about characters etc, but the whole idea i really liked. It was good not following the "Hero/Savior" about, and we were with some of the people who just needed to survive. Maybe the sequel will be good cos then maybe we follow the hero and find out more about the monster.

Why do you need to know about the monster?? Why cant the people die, i like all these plot twists and in my opinion are alot better than other films with no real concept. Were the story is badly put together or there is no info.

And as far as not knowing what is happening i found it easy to follow, like why the girl needed to be shot and stuff about the monster.
filesharing
just boooooring. really boring. You can sleep through the first 30 minutes and you wont miss anything. at least the idea was original
poppat
Saw this recently and thought it was OK. Not a top ten film, but rather like Blair Witch with the hype better than the film.

poppat
wahoyaho
Wasn't too bad, they did great for a limited budge film though.
filesharing
lol, has anyone read this post ?
viraj wrote:
Hey I have downloaded this using the torrents... after downloading the entire 1.5 Gig when I tried to view it.. it was all vein.. the movie was locked with some specific coded and also the site where the codec was present was asking me to subscripe for nude site's free trial..

Idea Any one has a torrent to download this movie in ENG...
schooldays
I enjoyed it a lot. It was a very cinematic experience, but it actually worked decently on DVD. It was a dumb monster movie, but it took a new approach to the well-worn format, and I do think the risky idea pulled off well. There were bits of it in the cinema I found really really well done.
bellebello
I actually enjoyed the south park spoof of this more than the movie itself. The entire town was attacked by giant guinea pigs. GuineaPirate...... that was hilarious.
jabce85
it was a good movie to rent.. but with the way they ended it, i was disappointed. oh, and btw, at the very end when the tape cuts back to their day out and they're on the ferris wheel, you can see something big splash down in the water in the background
r4inm4ker
I liked it a lot. It's nice to watch a movie from different perspective than the usual Aliens-Heroes fighting scenario. After a bit while, i became used to the shaky camera.
Sanity
I enjoyed this film actually, had on dvd for a while now but just watched it the other night, the camera is annoying at first but you get use to it after a while.

8/10
Nutteloos
I recently got this movie on DVD as a present... haven't gotten around to watching it, but I might soon. There's some very mixed reactions here though - was it really that bad?
crimson_aria
Nutteloos wrote:
There's some very mixed reactions here though - was it really that bad?

well it wasn't bad in my opinion. i liked it.
Mexican_Ed
I went to see at the movies, and got it as a present.

My Opinion of Cloverfield, Had some comedy "Flaming Hobo" Razz The Hobo that lighst People on fire. 8O

And how some people exploded. It was all good 'til the ending. It was just .. wtfish.. 8\
Rajiev
Total Shit of a movie. Only the Advertisement hype got ppl to ge and see this movie. Total Movie was a shaking amateur cam rec Mad

I was hoping , when will they show some real movie. If I wanted to see something like that, I'll probably watch a hoax amateur capture about UFO or something like that on U tube.

The Idea was great having the first person view of the movie. But camera is too shaky and 99.9% of the time you are wondering what the F*** is on the screen.
devaco
it is stupid film ,,,i think ,,,,,but i respect all of your meanings.
Arthur3009
i love this movie, i saw on the movies, but look, the time it's a little bit small, you can see in 50 mintues, i think, but definitily, it's a GREAT movie, ow, whatever, ei read a lot of reviews and almost nobody like it, but i really love it, sereusly, its the best movie ever,
Rajiev
Arthur3009 wrote:
i love this movie, i saw on the movies, but look, the time it's a little bit small, you can see in 50 mintues, i think, but definitily, it's a GREAT movie, ow, whatever, ei read a lot of reviews and almost nobody like it, but i really love it, sereusly, its the best movie ever,

Hmm.

I think This is the first time I read a positive comment on this movie Surprised

aw, every individual is different from each other. If all hated that movie as me,

It never would have make it to the production line :p or Theaters Laughing
poppat
hype hype hype

We all fell for it again.

Oh dear us.

poppat
filesharing
movie came out nearly a year ago, i think we can stop writing about it ^^
dickyzin
I agree. The movie isn't showing in the cinemas anymore. Maybe a few lucky ones haven't seen the movie yet Smile.
venometal
lol this movie is the worst one ive ever watched. the acting, actors, the scenario, visual n audio effects all bullshit. nothing more to say bout this one.
Rajiev
poppat wrote:
hype hype hype

We all fell for it again.

Oh dear us.

poppat

You can say that again.

We all fell for that nice poster with Statue of headless Liberty :p Embarassed

And Ya, We all can stop talking about this movie and stop wasting anymore time on this sh*t
blk3
Watched it and didn't like it much. If it wasn't shot the way it was shot, I would say it was just another monster movie filled with special effects.
Arthur3009
J.J ROCKS! lost ROCKS, cloverfield ROCKS