FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PORTAL by Valve

blinx
...has officially started a revolution!

If you don't know what Portal is, then you are missing out. It's a new game that was included in The Orange Box (along with Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress something-or-other). And it has been so successful, it has triggered something of a cult following.

There is an online game based on the computer game that will give you an idea of what it is like to play Portal. But it is nothing like the real thing. It's right here.

So, if there are any other Portal fans (or fanatics) here... or others who weren't similarly impressed (although I genuinely doubt it), lemme know!
joker1975
I was thrilled to hear about this game when it was first announced.. I am a big fan of puzzles and puzzle games, and I played first person shooter games competitively, so when I heard valve was putting out a first person puzzle game (my best way to put it) I was hopeful..

Then I saw the video preview for the game, I was encouraged.. anyone who hasn't seen it or doesn't know what the game is, go to video.google.com and type in Portal.. I'm pretty sure you'll get to see the trailer..

I love the humor in the game.. the computer telling you(in the trailer), "If at first you don't succeed, you fail"..

So yes, I am a fan, and I hope they put out many more maps.. I enjoy the gameplay, and the few extra maps they provided were nice, but I'd really like to see many more challenge maps.
rightclickscott
Portal was the shortest game on The Orange Box, but by far, it was the most memorable. All I really have to say about it was...

This was a triumph...
HamsterMan
... I'm making a note here, huge success

Man, I have complettely lost count how many times I have finished the game.
And I even managed to get gold on all those pesky least step challenges.

Portal is definitely the best game in the orange box, altough really short, it has the best and most comical dialogue I have ever heard in a game so far.
Keran
Hah that game was awesome ;] Full of jokes and logical thinking. Valve always creates superb and innovative games ;]

I miss the cube companion Sad and...
The cake is a lie!

Edit:
I just passed that online game ;] Was kinda tiresome in the end but nevertheless it was cool ;] resembles real Portal in a way, but You can't get the same feel while playing this 2d game. So I recommend Portal by Valve ;]
Flakky
Portal is probably the best puzzle game, altough it has no support for my computer and it won't run if there are any portals, but I can play on some other computer once in a while.
GeoS
Loved it, but I don't see much replayability there. We can hope for a sequel, but meh. Brilliant, if short lived brilliance.

It was kinda easy though... If any of you found/are finding it hard, I laugh at your broken brains, for they all belong to ME.

Ahem.

p.s. The cake is also mine.
Flakky
It's true that the game was too easy to beat. If you can handle some confusion your're probably finishing the game in 2/3 hours. All the challenges are way too difficult to do them all without practicing for hours, but in the main storyline you can't get enough practice to do this. Like shifting for your first gear to your 5th gear.
ZeroXD
GeoS wrote:
Loved it, but I don't see much replayability there. We can hope for a sequel, but meh.

I have to agree the gameplay doesn't really scream for much replayability since it is rather easy, I played the game about 3 times just because I love that darned GLaDOS so much!

oh and <3 companion cube! Oh how I regret destroying you...
andy26
i hard it doesnt last long, hmm think i iwll wait till i get paid go onto steam buy it test it and come back here and post...
bloodrider
It's a really a nice game, this new puzzle concept it's addictive Very Happy and I never liked puzzle games like tetris, bubbles,...
Portal has conquested me, I didn't stop to play till I reached the end, it's a peaty that the game is to short, but well, this is only a test, we'll see (soon I hope Wink) a complete game, at least that's what they "promise".
IllusionSoftware
One of the greatest games that I have ever played. I first thought it was something stupid, but once I played I was hooked. It is truly an amazing game.

I suggest it Smile
Flakky
ZeroXD wrote:
GeoS wrote:
Loved it, but I don't see much replayability there. We can hope for a sequel, but meh.

I have to agree the gameplay doesn't really scream for much replayability since it is rather easy, I played the game about 3 times just because I love that darned GLaDOS so much!

oh and <3 companion cube! Oh how I regret destroying you...
It might be still alive, the companion cube can widstand 4000 kelvin, and we don't know the heath of the incinerator Razz
Ghost900
The first game I played in the Orange Box was Portal and as I went through it I thought that it was the shortest game in the world until I found that the end challenge was about half the game Smile

It was still a very short game but I did enjoy every bit about it and how people only play it for the cake Laughing

I wished we didn't have to burn the companion cube and I was wondering if it was one of her weird tests to see if I believed her.

Supposedly Valve is going to add more to the end but I don't know when and what size it will be.
Flakky
There are some tricks in which you don't have to incinerate the WCC, but the blue particle field will demolish it, if that makes you feel better Razz You have to take all equipment you have and place them in doors so the doors don't close and give an error. Razz
rightclickscott
During the audio commentary, I believe one of them said that this was simply an introduction of the concept of Portals, and that they were planning much MUCH more with this. This game, though, was simply a teaser of what's to come. It doesn't matter to me, either way, because it's so damn fun.
Bilkers
What a clever, well made & thought out game Portal is. I only wish more game developers had the same imagination when working on games.
ForceRun
It was a sweet but short play throught, I have to TF2 is a sweet game too, and I'm still playing that one.
Vladalf
I finished the game a few days ago and I must say this is one of the best games I ever played. The game runs on my 2005 computer perfectly with everything at high and the gameplay is fantastic. I played it with my dad and he was first like '' wtf mate? ^_^'' because he didn't understand the portal thing but then he understood and we played all the night till we finished it. All Valve games are revolutionary and I will allways play their games.
-Vladalf
kicy
I wonder if that cake is still there....

(now I won't be able to focus in school, thx a lot)
andy26
Iv recently completed portal, it would of been loads better if people hadnt spoilt it for me though, i cant wait to start mapping for it Smile
haydxn
I absolutely love this game. I was looking forward to it for ages (and played Narbacular Drop for about 3 hours solid even though it's only really about ten minutes long - messing about with portals is just a blast!), and it didn't disappoint. A true triumph in terms of atmosphere, engagement and puzzlery. That the story and setting were so remarkably compelling was just the icing on the cake [snerk]. Level 19 made me need to pause and leave the room, as I was so stunned at the scope of the experience - it's like an interactive movie, and is really a gaming experience that is not to be missed.
FlyingYouri
I <3 Portal from Valve, I play it every day, Ze Cake Iz A Lie Razz . Who play the game out?
urbanbuddha
Awesome game. I hope valve does a spin-off sequel or something base on the physics. I read someone that there was a hack to have the portal capabilities in HL2. That sounds like fun.
Vladalf
urbanbuddha wrote:
Awesome game. I hope valve does a spin-off sequel or something base on the physics. I read someone that there was a hack to have the portal capabilities in HL2. That sounds like fun.

Yes that is possible because both games run on the source engine. You had to copy some of the folders from Portal to Half Life 2: Episode 2 folder and you could use a command in the console to bring up the gun.
Coclus
Yeah I have heard of this one... sounds awesome. but CS is better ^^
LostOverThere
I loved it for its very dry humour and very unique game play. However it was very very short.
Vladalf
Coclus wrote:

You can't compare Counter Strike with Portal. Two different kind of games.
Pikokola
Vladalf wrote:
Coclus wrote:

You can't compare Counter Strike with Portal. Two different kind of games.

He just heard it... I think he haven't played it...

actually me too... *_* - have short money for games...
moldgame
How knew , where i can find a free browser game script ?
ForceRun
Yeah CS and Portal have no relation. We are thinking of doing a two man Portal contest at my next Lan coming up in June. What do you guys think? Whould that be something that you might want to do at a Lan? 2 Man is where one person operates the keyboard, and the other only uses the mouse. It would be by best time, my brother and I made it through in 48Mins; and we had a lot of fun while doing it.
Vladalf
ForceRun wrote:
Yeah CS and Portal have no relation. We are thinking of doing a two man Portal contest at my next Lan coming up in June. What do you guys think? Whould that be something that you might want to do at a Lan? 2 Man is where one person operates the keyboard, and the other only uses the mouse. It would be by best time, my brother and I made it through in 48Mins; and we had a lot of fun while doing it.

That sounds like a great ideea and I think this game can make very competitive gameplay online. Good luck!
-Vladalf
M0rpheus
i love portal its the 2th best game at steam