FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BitTorrent client

cosmicx
I am using Utorrent right now and it is working well...
So, any other suggestions or opinions on bit torrent clients ? Very Happy
lastelement0
Utorrent works really well when you have it properly configured and decent connection to begin with. took me a little while at first but once i had the proper ports opened for my router i was getting great speeds. however being back at school its a little harder since the IT department puts heavy constrictions on the network.

if anyone has any suggestions as how to address this that would be great.
doppleganger
even me using the same, till date no issues
fadirocks
check this http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/01/18/utorrent-found-vulnerable-to-remote-attack-better-upgrade-quick/
HamsterMan
I'm using Azureus, cause I like the interface and different plugins it got.
The new version 3.0 (Vuze), is fairly interresting too.
kewiin
fadirocks wrote:
check this http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/01/18/utorrent-found-vulnerable-to-remote-attack-better-upgrade-quick/

I got uTorrent 1.7.6 am i safe?
Or should i use a other software?
vonvincent
guess a lot of us use utorrent, also i use one. Its the fastest torrent i've ever used, i'm still trying new torrents to download my files but nothing can beat utorrent. so for the mean time, utorrent is the best for me..
aningbo
i'm in a college campus and this stupid connection dont allow me to use torrents or p2p softwares! haven't been able to find a way out so far!!
found a way out but i gota pay a up for the service which is a total nono.
eXon3
Well, ATM uTorrent is the lightest and most secure client available.
There are a few alternatives such as Azureus, ABC and BitTornado, but as far as I know uTorrent works the best and has the biggest amount of features built-in.
driftingfe3s
The first bittorrent client I used was Azureus. I then tried bitcomet, then moved to utorrent. Out of all of them I like utorrent the best. Azureus seemed to use more resources than any of the others, and I quit using bitcomet because it was banned on many trackers. Utorrent is light on resources and works well so that's what I've been using.
corrupt
I have been using Azureus for a few years now and it has served me well and seems pretty stable from what i've seen. I think it is rather user friendly aswell for a newbie to torrents. After reading the above posts though i think i might try out utorrent and see if it stands up to all the hype.

As for the problem about downloading at school, there will be no simple and straightforward way. I work in the IT team at a school and we have various firewalls which stack which makes it very tricky for any unallowed traffic to pass through. You could look into using a proxy server that redirects data through port 80 which is bound to be open, but i have no experience or knowledge with this.
DarkAkira
For Mac users, I recommend Transmission.

It works well, nice and simple interface, and no problems that I have seen. Gets great rates to.
csoftdev
i use flashget myself because i am using flashget for as my download manager and i have been using flashget for many years now and it is very reliable. i have been using flashget for torrent since it starts to support it.
dude_xyx
I moved back to bittorrent form Utorrent. Now both seems has same engine actually Bittorrent has started using utorrent structure. But Now bittorrent seems faster than Utorrent.
bloodrider
In the beginning I used Azureus, it's really good, have some nice features but the problem was the resources that it takes, it's really a monster.
Then I changed to utorrent and since then that i don't want anything else. It's a light software, it only takes the necessary resources to run and does the work well Very Happy
ammonkc
I'll second the Transmission for mac users. Its very clean and robust. I was using Xtorrent for a while, but found that Transmission is far more stable at higher download speeds.
TomGrey
I just started using ABC, but perhaps I should consider utorrent. I liked the ABC user interface, but it's not clear to me it was as fast as possible.
lethaltriad
I used to use Bit Tornado and then went to azureus but that sucked up too much resources and now I'm using UTorrent also.. its low on resources and does exactly what i need in a bit torrent client. Just make sure to update it whenever there are updates and you'll be good.
dude_xyx
TomGrey wrote:
I just started using ABC, but perhaps I should consider utorrent. I liked the ABC user interface, but it's not clear to me it was as fast as possible.

I used to ABC while ago and it takes too much resources than utorrent and Bit torrent. I think bittorrent is the best light-wight torrent tool now
soulery
I don't use bit torrent at all because some things on it might be illegal or might contain malicious software.
b4r4t
For me uTorrent is the best...
Why ? It's small, fast, easy to use and configure, doesn't use lot of my PC resources ...

And about which is faster ... it depends only on tracker from whic You are getting seeds/leechers ... more sources = greather speed Smile
Next thing is that private trackers are always better/faster.
For example polishtracker.org ... no mather what - after 5sec i Have full speed 128KB/s Smile
But for such torrent sites You have to have LUCK to get invite (You can't register yourself without it)
ammonkc
soulery wrote:
I don't use bit torrent at all because some things on it might be illegal or might contain malicious software.

Thats kind of like saying I wont use a computer, because they are used for downloading pirated music. Just don't download illegal content with it. How you use it is complete up to you.
iamarun
as for me i like u torrent

its easy, simple and light weight and works perfect

Bittorrent is also good but i prefer utorrent

have fun
tombula
Earlier I use Azureus. Next was BitSpirit, it's great client. But today I can use only BitLord/BitComet (they are good clients but are banned on almost all private trackers).
carlospro7
i'm new to this torrent stuff. I started out with bittorrent and have been using for a couple months now. works just fine i guess
biljap
One of my friends recently explained to me what torrents are and how I can use uTorrent. I like it because it is small and doesn’t use a lot of memory like some other P2P programs I used before. I managed to download some of files I wanted but I never managed to have full download speed, and some files won’t even start downloading or they stop when I get to nearly 70 percent… I waited for several days and tried to find some other torrent files with more seeds but I had no luck.
misterXY
Utorrent & Azureus Very Happy
bulek
Utorrent is my favorite one
dude_xyx
biljap wrote:
One of my friends recently explained to me what torrents are and how I can use uTorrent. I like it because it is small and doesn’t use a lot of memory like some other P2P programs I used before. I managed to download some of files I wanted but I never managed to have full download speed, and some files won’t even start downloading or they stop when I get to nearly 70 percent… I waited for several days and tried to find some other torrent files with more seeds but I had no luck.

If you are using a router or firewall you have to configure ports with those. unless you won't get the maximum speed. even after i get only like 50 kbs and thats the masimum i can get coz my internet line sux
ginny2689
hey dear why are you talking about which torrent client is using by others & which is good or bad.

According to me the speed depends on how many people are sharing the particular file you want to download.....its called seeders and leeches.

A popular one torrents (like movies etc) can be fast if a lot of people are sharing it.

According to me it doesn't matter which torrent client you are using .
TomGrey
I also have the problem with ABC of my server letting maybe 100 mb go thru, then it stops. Sometimes.

It took 3 weekends (unlimited mb only on weekends with my lower cost plan) to download Alvin at 700mb, and it's taking 5 already for on off off 4.4 GB file (only 15%).

Can I switch torrent clients after starting with one?

Can I have ABC also work with my wife's WinXP ID?

How can I tweak the torrents to run faster? Actually, a good cheat sheet tutorial on ABC and/or uTorrent would be nice...
Bethere
In the past I love BitComet

Present I love uTorrent Very Happy
SamiTheBerber
I have rTorrent with screen on my server. It has effective UI made with ncurses. It is very effective to use and it is light.

When I need something fast to my laptop, form example a linux distribution cd in installation party, I use BitTornade, which comes with Ubuntu GNU/Linux.
TomGrey
OK, I switched from ABC to uTorrent.
Light, seems to be fast, works well.

My big old unfinished ABC torrent to download -- can I use uTorrent to finish it?

Maybe I need a good uTorrent tutorial.
erlendhg
I like both Azureus ad uTorrent, but I use BitComet because it is recommended by TorrentLeech and I because I just always have used it.
zellfaze
soulery wrote:

Just don't download torrents with illegal software. As for malicious software, make sure you get torrents off of a reliable source, all the torrents I get are from a place that has a fair sized community behind it. I would trust most any of these people.

I use Ktorrent.
flatliner
The latest version of limewire 4.12.6 comes with BitTorrent Support Built-In. It very easy to use and its meets all your file sharing needs in one program. You simple download the torrent file and limewire will open automatically to connect and being downloading your file. I would defo recommend
erlendhg
zellfaze wrote:
soulery wrote:

Just don't download torrents with illegal software. As for malicious software, make sure you get torrents off of a reliable source, all the torrents I get are from a place that has a fair sized community behind it. I would trust most any of these people.

I use Ktorrent.

Yup. As mentioned earlier, I am a member of TorrentLeech (http://www.torrentleech.org), and everything there is so strict that I would trust any download from there.

For example:
If you are inactive for 45 days, you get banned. Same if your share ratio drops below 0.95.
Every member gets one invite each (yes, you must be invited), and if the person you invite gets banned, you do aswell :O

And you have to meet strict requirements to be able to apply as an uploader.

Any other fellow TorrentLeechers here?
Shuaib
cosmicx wrote:
I am using Utorrent right now and it is working well...
So, any other suggestions or opinions on bit torrent clients ? Very Happy

Utorrent is the best and will always be! It takes very little space on your hard disk!Evil or Very Mad It uses very little resources as well Twisted Evil

It has some cool features:
Quote:
* Multiple simultaneous downloads
* Configurable bandwidth scheduler
* Global and per-torrent speed limiting
* Quick-resumes interrupted transfers
* RSS Downloader
* Trackerless support (Mainline DHT)
Da Rossa
uTorrent, always the latest version. No reason to use another one.
TomGrey
uTorrent is OK for me, but maybe my older adsl modem isn't as good as it should be.

What about bitTorrent sources, like MovieX.iNFO? Any experience with them, or other not-fully-public places to download torrents from?
Kelcey
I love uTorrent. I hate Azureus. uTorrent has been very good to me.
surdy
Utorrent is the my favourite. Simple and neat Very Happy