You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google's Secret Revealed

Hi friends..while surfing I found good article About Google Search

thats why I like to share with you all..

Google and most other search engines, find sites through an autonomous program which “crawls” through the World Wide Web. In normal English, what this means is that the google servers host a web crawling program, and whenever it is used, it scans through web pages, and looking at the links. Any internet user can submit a URL to be crawled on the google website. It records the URL of the links and the amount of links which direct to specific URLs. Once it has scanned one page, it scans another, usually by going through one of the sites link. Once it has arrived at its destination, it starts the scanning process all over again.

Once google has scanned a large number of web pages, it sends back to the Google master server the links it has found and their quantities. Most of the pages are “cached” or saved and stored in the Google doc servers.

Now let’s look at what happens when a user submits a query. First of all the query goes through the google Master server, which sends it to the index servers. These contain a list of all possible search terms and where the corresponding pages are stored in the doc server. The doc servers then look at the values that the index server gave, in other words retrieving the info the user is looking for. The information is then sent of to the user’s computer (pic below:)

Now let’s look at how Google ranks these pages: with the PageRank technology. This technology, created by the producers of google, measures the importance of a page by solving an equation of more than 500 million variables and 2 billion terms. Before the arrival of google, most search engines measured the importance of pages by counting the amount of links to a page. Google however, chose take the links and turn them into votes, with important web pages with high page ranks link’s counting as more than one vote. However, not all links are taken into account. Some site (eg:link farms) do not count. In other words, a site linked by million’s of small homemade sites will not count as being as important as a site linked by half the amount of pages, but by more important ones. However PageRank is not called PageRank because it ranks pages, but after the found of Google, Larry Page.

PR (A) = (1-d) + d(PR(t1)/C(t1) + ... + PR(tn)/C(tn))

This is the original PageRank equation used by Google. In the equation 't1 - tn' are pages linking to page A, 'C' is the number of outbound links that a page has and 'd' is a damping factor, usually set to 0.85.

We can think of it in a simpler way:

A page's PageRank = 0.15 + 0.85 * (a "share" of the PageRank of every page that links to it)

"Share" = the linking page's PageRank divided by the number of outbound links on the page.

The reason why page rank works is that through its system it displays not only the best known pages, but also the most visited. These pages often are much visited because they have the largest/most complete library of information on their chosen subject. Thus by deduction they are also the page the user most likely wants to consult.

So you might be thinking? But how does google serve up its webpages so fast?

efore we uncover the mysteries, let's digress a bit to talk about your habits of using email. When you have a big file that you want to send to your friend by email, what would you usually do? In order to save time and bandwidth, you might zip up the file to make it smaller in file size and then send the zipped file to your friend. Now that the file is smaller, it takes less time to transfer the file over the Internet because it occupies less bandwidth. Makes sense?

Therefore; what will make the transfer of a webpage faster? Assuming the bandwidth is fixed, the only way to speed up the transfer of a file (e.g. a web page) is to make it smaller. In other words, if we can compress the file and send the compressed version over, it may greatly reduce the transfer time, depending on how good the compression is. You may question: "Hey, it's no use obtaining a compressed file unless I know how to decompress it!". You're absolutely right. In order for this trick to work, the receiver of the web page (i.e. your web-browser) has to know how to decompress the file so as to restore it to what it was.

Yes, it's just that simple. Now It's time to look at how it actually works in reality. Say, you point your browser to I'm now going to show you what happens behind the scene:

Proxy- Connection: Keep-Alive
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.7 [en] (WinNT; I)
Accept: image/gif,image/x-xbitmap,image/jpeg,image/pjpeg

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Connection: close
Server: GWS/2.0
Date: Tue,18 Jan 2005 07:45:18 GMT

The upper pane shows you the HTTP request issued by the web browser (in this case, it's Netscape 4.7). Basically, this request says to the server at, "Hey, please give me the default document located at your root level. I use the HTTP protocol version 1.0.". If you read the request carefully, you will notice this line among others:
Accept-Encoding: gzip

With this line, the web-browser is telling the server, "Hey, you know what, I am smart. I know how to handle (or decompress) files compressed in gzip.". gzip is one of the many algorithms to compress files.

Okay, the HTTP request was easy enough to understand. Let's move on to see how the server responds.

The lower pane of HttpRevealer shows you the HTTP response from the web server. Basically, the response answers the web browser: "Okay, I've found the document you asked for. It's an HTML document. Here you are...". This time, pay special attention to this line:
Content-Encoding: gzip

Since the web server was told that the web-browser (Netscape 4.7) is capable of handling gzip, the web server decides to compress the web page (in gzip) before it sends it over. The above line tells the web-browser that the content in the response is encoded (or compressed) in gzip, so the web-browser will know it should decompress the file before displaying it.

That's that. Did it sound amazingly simple to you when you discovered how Google does its tricks. hope you enjoyed this thread! I found out the above with the help of HttpRevealer. You can explore the web yourself too! Untill my next post

Links for Similar Information's

Source : Click Here
Please use quote tags.

No quote tags = lock and treated as spam.