FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Older Win, faster play?

wabik90
I have one question... maybe it's stupid, but I have to ask!
I have installed WinXp on my machine, and when I play one of my favourites games, it slows down in some moments... it's very annoying because it's FPS;p
I thought, I'll install WinMe and it'll work faster because WinME need less memory and system sources. It's that true? Thanks for all answers!

P.S. Don't write that i should change graphic options in game to low because I've done it already Very Happy
FriBogdan
WinMe is not good. Hm... you should try win98.

If you favorite game can run with this really really old version of windows... this is what you want. Many of the programs today don't run on windows 98 ... but if you can put your hands on the drivers for your videocard, sound card and moderboard your games should run nice and easy Smile.

You can use for example... Win 98 and Win XP on the same machine. When you want to play...use 98... for work use XP.
sergio_ykz
I have user for many time Win98 to play some games, but new games require more from OS, and much of them don't run in older versions.

Actually, with lower prices of hardware (here in Brazil), I prefer to invests in a more powerfull machine to downgrade my OS.

I have used a dual boot system, normally with WinXP, Linux and Win98 (for simple hardware access).

Now, I prefer a Virtual Machine.

Win98 don't works good with new hardware or with much system ram, and for new games I don't suggests.
joker1975
wabik90 wrote:
I have one question... maybe it's stupid, but I have to ask!
I have installed WinXp on my machine, and when I play one of my favourites games, it slows down in some moments... it's very annoying because it's FPS;p
I thought, I'll install WinMe and it'll work faster because WinME need less memory and system sources. It's that true? Thanks for all answers!

P.S. Don't write that i should change graphic options in game to low because I've done it already Very Happy

How does the saying go? "There are no stupid questions, only stupid politicians." maybe that's a bit off..

I would have to wonder how old your hardware is that WinXP slows it down.. perhaps you need a little more memory (I wouldn't run xp with less than 512 meg of ram)

The other option would be to examine which services are running under your XP system that might be taking up resources or slowing down your game..

Although, given the option to go back, I would love to still be running Windows 98.. Unfortunately, Win98 and WinME are no longer supported by Microsoft and so there are no more patches being put out.. Running Win98 or WinME is risky. That's a virus waiting to happen.
FunDa
joker1975 wrote:

Although, given the option to go back, I would love to still be running Windows 98.. Unfortunately, Win98 and WinME are no longer supported by Microsoft and so there are no more patches being put out.. Running Win98 or WinME is risky. That's a virus waiting to happen.

Running XP is more dangerous than running Windows 98.

With all the new viruses now causing problems, I would rather go back to Win98 if I didn't have to use Google Earth and stuff - Google Earth and many other software run only on XP
corrupt
joker1975 wrote:

The other option would be to examine which services are running under your XP system that might be taking up resources or slowing down your game..

Yep, this is what i was going to suggest, you can alter what services are running by going start,run, they typing in "services.msc"(without the quotes) you will notice an improvement from turning off anything you dont think you'll need/are using. For instance turn off help and support if you never use it, printing support, if you dont have a printer, visual themes(turn off lunar, and run classic windows 2000 theme) It's probably best to google and find out what services you'd be best with turning off though as im not a complete expert.

joker1975 wrote:

Windows ME is a bad OS, is very unstable and crashes all the time. I think i read somewhere that is was somewhat rushed microsoft so it was ready in time for the new mellenium. If you are set on downgradeing your best option would be to get a copy of windows 98 Second Edition imo.

But in "imho" i would just upgrade your system and keep windows xp.