FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does bottled beer go bad?

Bryan_Bezzle
I've searched everywhere for this and cannot find a good answer. I have some budweiser select and the born on date is in 2006. I want to know if its still good how long does bottled beer take to go bad?
Relentless
well in my opinion beer is bad lol

But still tastes nice Very Happy

TBA i'm not sure. I guess if you heat it up in a bottle then open it, it would taste pretty rank!

lol
rvec
Relentless wrote:
well in my opinion beer is bad lol

But still tastes nice Very Happy

TBA i'm not sure. I guess if you heat it up in a bottle then open it, it would taste pretty rank!

lol

if you heat it up the bottle will explode (experience talking here).

And beer does taste better if you drink it within a couple of months after purchasing it. A couple of weeks ago I found 10 bottles from over a year ago, you really taste the difference between those and the new bottles (no they didn't change the beer). You can still drink old beer but new beer tastes better.
andy26
aslong as its been stored in cold conditions it should be fine i suppose its only a year i would say it could last up to at least 3 years, thats if beer does go out of date, but yea the taste will be affected. If your concerned i would just go out and buy some fresh budwiser, yet again its just not correct in anyway to waste beer, Iv had to follow the rule of "spill it you lick it" more than once, a carpet full of cigerett ash is not the best place to spill your beer then be forced to lick it off the carpet for the rule of "spill it you lick it"
Relentless
rvec wrote:
if you heat it up the bottle will explode (experience talking here).

oh, cool now I know lol...

So how did you discover the art of blowing beer up?

And I would drink beer no matter what age it is at.. Mind you I dout anyone would let there beer get old..

Would they?
nivre
yeah, if wines get better as time goes by, maybe a beer should be too....actually we are not fond of using small bottled beers in our area, we go for big bottles usually called "grande" which we take drinks one at a time from same glass which pass around the group....
Bockman
I don't know how it works on your countries, but here we have validity for beer, usually under a year. Should be printed on the label or on the bottom of the beer.

And beer DOES go bad.

Wine ALSO goes bad (sour) depending on the type of wine and the kind of bottle / cork used.

Be Well Cool
janrunejohansen
and when youre drinking out-of-date beer. you will notice kinda quick that you shouldnt Smile
redhakaw
keep it away from sunlight or any form of light, store it in boxes and do buy beer that is amber bottled or dark colored bottles.

never store beer in can, or just dont buy beer in can. Canned beer are high pasteurized compared to the bottled beer.

some people prefer beer staright from the tank or from the brewery (rich and sweet), some store them for half a year or 2 (mature and refreshing), depends on your taste, to me they both taste quite good

beer becomes a bit sour if the seal/cap is broken or if exposed

btw, I used to work for a top brewery in our country.
pet-virus
Yeah, it can definately go bad. Not saying too much though.

I've had warm, flat beer before... almost threw up. Do not recommend it at all =(

pet-virus
neji
redhakaw wrote:
keep it away from sunlight or any form of light, store it in boxes and do buy beer that is amber bottled or dark colored bottles.

never store beer in can, or just dont buy beer in can. Canned beer are high pasteurized compared to the bottled beer.

some people prefer beer staright from the tank or from the brewery (rich and sweet), some store them for half a year or 2 (mature and refreshing), depends on your taste, to me they both taste quite good

beer becomes a bit sour if the seal/cap is broken or if exposed

btw, I used to work for a top brewery in our country.

Interbrew? :')

I don't think it's bad Smile

It's been said before: as long the beer was stored in a dark/clean/cold place it's all ok! (cold = a cold room)
Aless
Let's put it this way: why else do you think they would put use-by dates on there?

Will you die or get sick? Probably not. Will it taste weird/old/different? Probably.
Thumpercats
I do not know the answer to the beer question, only recently have I began drinking, but i do know that wine does not go bad if it is properly stored. If it has a wooden cork, it will go bad unless you have the wine inside touching the cork. The liquid from the wine will swell the cork, and make a air tight seal. This is also why wine racks store wine on the sides in case you were ever wondering. And just another question..... someone said that if you heated up beer it would explode, any idea how much heat is needed? Smile
Josso
Yeah honestly, I don't know if it officially "goes bad" but in my experience if you warm up or leave beer to long it's not really as good as it was or infact, nasty (especially with stuff like guinness)
Srs2388
if it stays in a fridge for a month or so yes... i had one a couple nights ago it was stale
heartbeat
_I dont know if beer can go bad but I know that some lots are different flavoured than others, I also find that the beer that is sold to bars and cofees is better that the one sold in the supermarket, maybe better fermentation. Now the industry uses chemical ferments wich speed up the process but leave more residues and tastes worse, and many times the process results in different flavoured beers of the same type... bad production... check for yourself in your countries as im from Portugal
ydjluv
bottled beer would go bad after awhile but quite awhile....probably like 6-7 months I guess if it was kept cool....
Bryan_Bezzle
Rejoice beer drinkers! I have tested the out of date beer with little more consequence than a lifted eyebrow at first. It was not too bad..the born on date was June 2006.
PatTheGreat42
Well as we all know aged liquers are downright wonderful, so you might think old beer could be just fine. Difference is, when you're aging say, whiskey, it's in a barrel, and since a lot of the flavor and color comes from the barrel itself, more time equals more flavor and color. After you take it out, however, no dice. Furthermore, liquers are just water, alcohol, and whatever flavoring and whatever seep in. Beer has a lot more stuff in it, and can therefore go bad.

Er, point is, yeah. I saw a video of a guy drinking a 50-year-old beer. That was a lot of puking.
ydjluv
yes its mainly the barley and hops that goes bad.... since its wheat based you can do the math... Laughing
TurtleShell
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Well as we all know aged liquers are downright wonderful, so you might think old beer could be just fine. Difference is, when you're aging say, whiskey, it's in a barrel, and since a lot of the flavor and color comes from the barrel itself, more time equals more flavor and color. After you take it out, however, no dice. Furthermore, liquers are just water, alcohol, and whatever flavoring and whatever seep in. Beer has a lot more stuff in it, and can therefore go bad.

Er, point is, yeah. I saw a video of a guy drinking a 50-year-old beer. That was a lot of puking.

So I can't get this image out of my mind...50 yr old beer...I wonder, was it like, moldy inside?
BPrice
about the only way tell if it is still any good is to open it and try a sip if it tastse sharp then it is gone bad but if it tastse normal then it is fine.

other than that the bottles normaly have a use by or best before date printed on it somewhere.

happy drinking
ankitdatashn
I don't know whether I am eligible to answer this one because I don't drink. Anything I have heard uptill now about alcohol is that, the alcohol how old it is is considered to be good, i.e. more old alcohol is better, so I am really confused what this topic is all about!!
Chris24
dumb question. Why would you ever let a beer sit that long in order for it to go bad??????
Bryan_Bezzle
Chris24 wrote:
dumb question. Why would you ever let a beer sit that long in order for it to go bad??????

It was given to my uncle by someone who works at the brewery and he had it in his garage until he found out I would drink it so he brought it by. I found out the born on date was in 2006 so I asked the dumb question. kapeesh?
intruder_indeed
The only way it's bad for you, is when you run out of it. Laughing
Yantaal
who buys beer, and then leaves that long, if i buy something its lucky if it lasts the day i buy it,
asim
When it has been refrigerated and allowed to get warm again and re-refrigerated...or opened and left unrefrigerated for more than 24 hours.

well beer is always bad Very Happy
eday2010
It will go flat eventually; any carbonated drink will. Keep a can of Coke for 3 years and then try drinking it. You'll see how not good it is.
marrs
I drank a can of beer which was 4 year out of date and it didn't really taste as it should BUT it was drinkable and im here to tell the story.
I think you have to watch out more for food produces for the sell by date but hell no noone gonna stop me drinking a beer!!
IceCreamTruck
ankitdatashn wrote:
I don't know whether I am eligible to answer this one because I don't drink. Anything I have heard uptill now about alcohol is that, the alcohol how old it is is considered to be good, i.e. more old alcohol is better, so I am really confused what this topic is all about!!

This guy drives me nutz!!! LMAO

Other people would not have replied to the topic, but he feels drawn to post something!!!

Confused = Don't post, you dork!!!
Understand or Well Learned on the subject = Give people your wisdom

It's not a hard formula!!!

To the original poster thanks for coming back and letting us know how it went. I'm glad that you didn't have to go all the way to the store to get another sixer, LOL. You narrowly missed a major drinking problem = no beer.
silverdown
I can legally drink alcoholic beverages in 8 more days Very Happy, not rushing into this though, since I know it's really bad for you and addictive.
Bryan_Bezzle
silverdown wrote:
I can legally drink alcoholic beverages in 8 more days Very Happy, not rushing into this though, since I know it's really bad for you and addictive.

Thats crazy because in 7 days I turn 21 and am legally able to drink in the US. FEB 15th its goin down.....then again I have been drinking since 15. But its not so addictive as you think, whats addictive is that when you drink because you are bored, or just to pass time, you then think you need to drink everytime you become bored leading to alcoholism and such. Like anything that alters the state of the mind you must take it in consideration. That doesnt mean that youll die if youre pucking your guts out on your birthday. That just means you had a good night.
IceCreamTruck
Bryan_Bezzle wrote:
silverdown wrote:

Thats crazy because in 7 days I turn 21 and am legally able to drink in the US. FEB 15th its goin down.....then again I have been drinking since 15. But its not so addictive as you think, whats addictive is that when you drink because you are bored, or just to pass time, you then think you need to drink everytime you become bored leading to alcoholism and such. Like anything that alters the state of the mind you must take it in consideration. That doesnt mean that youll die if youre pucking your guts out on your birthday. That just means you had a good night.

Alcohol is addictive on so many levels you can't really say "it's just addictive when you are bored" because that makes for bad advice.

Here is better advice:
Alcohol is addictive, but you won't become addicted after one beer. You will become addicted after regularly consuming alcohol.

If you are puking on your birthday that doesn't mean you had a good night, that means you survived trying to kill yourself. I don't know what pucking is... I think it's an icehocky term. ;-p

Be careful with alcohol as it can easily kill you in a number of different ways. Walking you could get hit by a car, driving you could cause an accident, or you could die by consuming too much. Trust me there are thousands of ways to die because of alcohol and they've all been done before many times, so you have nothing to proove there.

Here's what you should do: On your birthday go out and buy your own beer. Don't let others buy it for you because they don't know when you've had enough. Enjoy your new right to purchase alcohol, and then go do something else. Too many people have flushed their lives away because they don't know when enough is enough. Trust me the fun stops after two or three beers or a couple of shots.

When young people die in road accidents people don't ask how much koolade they had before the accident. Remember that and don't be the cause of an accident. Think before you drink because after you drink doesn't work out well.

Read what alcohol does to you in health publications. It did make drinking more enjoyable for me, and now I know exactly what to expect and alcohol doesn't hit me like a Mack Truck!!

Just friendly advice!!!

Beer before liquer, never sicker = Don't drink beer and then do shots. If you do then you are asking for it.

Oh, and don't drink old beer... it's yucky!!!
cloudship
hehe, certainly that is possible. Therefore, on the bottle appearance there will be stated the production time and the "best before" time, or equally the expired time. After the expiration date, it's better not to take the risk to drink it any more.
skygaia
Last year, there was a issue of explosion of bottle beers. There were many people hurt by old beers. At last, a documentary program tried to test why bottle beer explored. as a result, as time went by, bottles hit each other then those got fine cracks. it caused explosion.
The1Spis
I am a bar tender in TN and just the other day while cleaning out a cluttered closet I found a 20 case of Bud Light Long Necks. I am a firm believer in the "Never Waste" Beer philosophy so I was unable to toss it. The birth date on the beer is Dec '05. . . I couldn’t sell it in the bar so I took it home. I have tasted many Beers from her to Germany and understand what is considered good beer. To find an answer to this you must ask yourself what is bad beer to you. What taste appeals to you the most? I have tasted this almost three-year-old beer and I must say it is much different from the juice I serve in the bar. I won’t say it's bad. . . I mean it's beer. If there is one thing I have learned about beer over the years it is that it is an enjoyable process. We get the taste for beer after we enjoy the experiences that come along with it. That is why some folks never like the bitter. . . No fond memories of gramps and the old red fishing boat, if you will. Where was I? Oh, the old beer. It still has a head, its smoother, a little less appetizing but hell it's beer, after the first 12 they all start tasting like tea whether they are three years or three minutes old.
Zombie
Personally I think it gets better with age, but then again why would the companies label a date on them. maybe theres some law that requires a date on all beverages for safety reasons. for whatever the reason, i think the date means nothing. But dont count on this rule all of the time, or you might need to get your stomach pumped.
PatTheGreat42
Yeah, beer will go bad. I saw a video of a guy drinking a beer from like, 1953 or whenever (it was OLD), and he puked pretty quick after drinking it. Beer goes bad. Don't do it, man. A new one is like, soooo cheap.
standready
Yes, bottled beer goes bad. 6 months tops after bottling (depending on storage) before it loses. It maybe still drinkable thought but yuck!
themit
When home brewing, isn't it better to leave it longer in the bottled stage to mature? Or doesn't this take place with bought beer due to the yeast (sediment) being filtered?
marrs
Beers that are quite strong 7.5% alcohol made with 100% malted barley and have high hop content can age remarkably well over up to twenty years.

Much mass-produced beer is far from 100% malted barley and has very little hopping. It is true that this may struggle to stay good beyond six months.

So the basic rule is......
Beers that have clearly turned within six months are usually infected or badly made.
nigam
yes. it could absolutely bad to your health. don't drink too much.
Zombie
As with other bottled drinks, beer can go bad... and remember the fresher the beer (the soonest consumed as to manufacture date) the better.
Maserman
after a ceratin daye it does
friuser
I believe the basic principal is alcohol goes rancid but they never go "bad" as in that it will kill you. That's because alcohol will kill whatever germs so it cannot technically go bad bad.
hofodomo01
I wouldn't trust anything left out there for a good deal of time.

Lol yeah, alcohol does kill germs...in the same way it kills other living cells, including your liver's Wink
codyb113
Yeah...It would go bad but not for a pretty long time.
dharper26
I have searched high and low for the answer to the question " Can you drink Budweiser 3 years after the born on date". I have found yes and no all over the place. So i am testing this myth, I am drinking one right now with a date of aug 2007 that has been in the fridge since the day it was purchased. If i don't die i will post in the morning. Pray for me.
dharper26
Well i am still alive and don't feel sick at all
raaeft1
Yes, if beer is not consumed within five-six months, it turns bad.
carlospro7
I've seen beers with expiration dates. Beers are not the kind that get better over time. I read that beers don't go bad over time, as in you can drink a really old beer and it won't make you sick, but it will taste and smell really bad.
adri
Just buy some new bottled beers, drink them and then drink the old ones, they'll taste good. Smile (So just get drunk before you try the old ones).

Adri
azoundria
The only thing that goes bad is you after you drank too much beer.
coolclay
It depends on what kind of beer it is and what the alc. content is, different beers are better aged and some are better fresh. But either way old beers won't harm you, (well except the alcohol), they'll just taste "skunky" and stale. Usually the light cheap crappy beers, are only good for the first few months especially if they are not kept chilled, but the more expensive tastier full bodied beers will be better after a little while.
banak
Years ago, the pub I worked for was owned by Bass breweries and I was lucky enough to be sent to their beer school. We learned that any beer that is pasteurised will go 'bad' after a relatively short time but live or living beers will be good for years. A live beer goes through 2 fermentation stages, the first at the brewery and second in the bottle. The living beer we sold was White Shield and the instructor swore that it was best after 15 years.... Not sure about that but the company recommends that you wait 3 years before drinking it.

http://www.beer-pages.com/protz/features/white-shield.htm has some info on White Shield.
Shadowninja7194
idk..i dont drink
deanhills
banak wrote:
Years ago, the pub I worked for was owned by Bass breweries and I was lucky enough to be sent to their beer school. We learned that any beer that is pasteurised will go 'bad' after a relatively short time but live or living beers will be good for years. A live beer goes through 2 fermentation stages, the first at the brewery and second in the bottle. The living beer we sold was White Shield and the instructor swore that it was best after 15 years.... Not sure about that but the company recommends that you wait 3 years before drinking it.
This is interesting. I was unaware the beer that has been commercially produced could ever go stale. I had thought home made beer was the only ones that could. So does it mean there would be "Used by date" dates stamped on some of the beers?
woi2ld
i just drank a premium lager beer , probably "pasturized" , approx. 10 months past "best before date"..................and can say it tastes much better than new.......my thoughts were , "why does this taste better ".........found this forum while googling for a conclusion.

ooommm , oooommmm , gooooooood.
misterXY
Bryan_Bezzle wrote:
Chris24 wrote:

It was given to my uncle by someone who works at the brewery and he had it in his garage until he found out I would drink it so he brought it by. I found out the born on date was in 2006 so I asked the dumb question. kapeesh?

Here's a better question, why didnt u drank it the night you got it? Instead of waiting.. it's [art Rolling Eyes
jabce85
name one edible product that doesn't eventually go bad.... of course bottled beer goes bad!
paul_indo
if it still tastes ok then it should be fine.
how long it lasts depends on storage, but it will eventually go off and taste horrible
soljarag
im sure college students would say beer cant go bad........
natilovesmike
Well, you should try it out....if you have an old bottle of beer, open it, see how it smells and try it....
flashfocus
It's a myth!

As long as the beer has been in a cool place and out of sunlight it is probably still drinkable and possibly still quite good.

I recently had a homebrew (I don't know if commercial breweries use preservatives but my homebrew certainly did not) that is 9 years old. It was in a clear bottle (one reason it could have been bad - due to sun skunking) but it has been in a basement out of sunlight and at a consistent temp for all nine years.

It was delicious if not better then it was 9 years ago.

As far as commercial beers I had a bud that had been in a river bed for about 17 years once. It was drinkable. Not bad but I wouldn't go through hoops to age Budweiser or any beer for that matter (it was no better then usual). But I think if the beer is stored properly expiration is a myth!
spinout
it depends on the quality on the bottle - the capsule!

Hm, I have had bad tincan beer! It tasted bad and I saw that the experiation day was over due...
I went back to get new ones, the store only gave me new ones in change of the undrunk... hm, so the one I drank I never got a new one in exchange,,, Crying or Very sad

If tin can stuff go bad -> how did that happen? It can't be a tight form of storage!
Bluedoll
Beer stinks. How is it possible to have 'good' beer?
Bikerman
Speaking as a member of CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) I take strong objection to the notion that beer 'stinks'. Beer has a long and distinguished history. It can be traced back to the 6th millenium BCE.
In fact Beer is a Holy drink*. It is also very likely that everyone reading this owes their existence to beer. Your ancestors probably drank beer rather than water at some point, because beer was much safer than the water available. A low alcohol beer (small beer) was drunk in place of water by most people, including school children.
Good beer in an airtight container should last for many many years. It will not, however, improve with age, as a heavy red wine does, since it does not rely on tannins for its structure and body. Beer is best drunk young, not old.

* The Sumerian 'Ninkasi' was Matron Goddess of Beer.
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Beer stinks. How is it possible to have 'good' beer?
Totally agreed, you could not have said it any better! No subtlety to the "brew" at all.
ShinerConnoisseur
I've had a 6 pack of Shiner 100 Year Commemorator beer since the middle of 2009. Its Sept. of 2011 now and this thread makes me curious as to what it might taste like now. Shiner only brewed this beer for 1 year, their 100th year Anniversary. There is no "born on" or "best if consumed by" dates on either of the bottles, nor an expiration. I really want to keep it unopened because of the rarity/collectability factor. I'm sure it will go bad one day, if it hasn't already, but every time I think about it sitting in that cool, dark pantry in those dark bottles...(kinda makes you think, "beer porn" Dancing )...I just wanna throw em' in the fridge, crack one open after a few hours of niice chillin', and either A)regret opening one and puke my guts out. or B)Enjoy the hell out of a damn fine beer. Well done Spoetzl! Applause Any thoughts?
electricfence
should be fine, but just depends on what type of beer
Janina
It won't really go bad for 6 months, but it relies on the alcohol level of the beverage. Bottled beer usually won't last as long as its canned counterpart. I don't usually drink beer, but rather stick to classier drinks such as australian wine.
spinout
once upon a time a was in a carcrash.... a had in the car a big bottle, one litre, of lemonade mixed with vodka!

The car was totally smashed but the remains was stored in the police house. After a month it came back - my lemonade and vodka bottle Laughing The cops didn't dare to smell the content!!!

I drank it! Shocked went drunk on a wednesday from that litre.... It tasted just as good! I was 18 and any strong liqour was hard to get then (we can't buy until 20). The lemonade was nocarb, noone believed it was drinkable but it was kept good! Very Happy
deanhills
spinout wrote:
The car was totally smashed but the remains was stored in the police house. After a month it came back - my lemonade and vodka bottle Laughing The cops didn't dare to smell the content!!!
I'm totally amazed the police did not pick up on it. What an interesting story! I'd imagine they would have put you through a sobriety test though and you had been tested sober?
spinout
I wasn't the driver - just backseat drunk on my beer that I also had with me.
The mix was so bad they couldn't believe it probably. It just looks yellow. And at that time alco-soda non carb was not popular at all. Still they delivered strong alcohol to a under-age person.
deanhills
spinout wrote:
I wasn't the driver - just backseat drunk on my beer that I also had with me.
The mix was so bad they couldn't believe it probably. It just looks yellow. And at that time alco-soda non carb was not popular at all. Still they delivered strong alcohol to a under-age person.
OK got it. Very honest police system for it to have been returned to you.