FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, etc.

Favorite Miyazaki Movie
Princess Mononoke
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Spirited Away
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Castle In The Sky
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Kiki's Delivery Service
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Bryan_Bezzle
I love his movies and really the only one's I know of are:

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Castle In The Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service (never actually watched this one Confused )

Are there any others? My personal fav is Castle In The Sky.
Seiji
Spirited Away is definitely my favorite movie from Hayao Miyazaki. Another good film from Studio Ghibli (not Miyazaki) is "Grave of the Fireflies".
blk3
Almost all of his movies are my favorites, Spirited Away is one of my favorites. Its about something the way he designs the characters and how the story is well written, that's what I like about them.
karrupin
I haven't watch any of Miyazaki movies yet, but I heard Spirited Away is nice, can anyone tell me the movie summary?
crimson_aria
I love every film made by Hayao Miyazaki. every one of them has depth in it. can't really say which one I like best. but I think Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away top my list.
Shewolf
I am still in love with the "Princess Mononoke" movie, it's simply beautiful. Both the storyline and the characters are amazing. It's one of those movies you just don't forget, that gets stuck in your mind forever.
Bryan_Bezzle
karrupin wrote:
I haven't watch any of Miyazaki movies yet, but I heard Spirited Away is nice, can anyone tell me the movie summary?

It is about a young girl who, while with her family, gets lost and, I guess you could say, spirited away. She arrives in a world of odd creatures and magic. The movie is the story of how she moves through the world and tries to get home. Thats pretty simple but I wouldn't really want to give any more of it away it is a great story.
Masacchi
Princess Mononoke is definitely my favorite by Miyazaki. Some of his other films though are Nausica of the Wind (or Valley..?, spelling of her name might be off, too x_X), and... I can't remember the names of this other one. Didn't he also do My Neighbor Totoro though?
Bryan_Bezzle
Masacchi wrote:
Princess Mononoke is definitely my favorite by Miyazaki. Some of his other films though are Nausica of the Wind (or Valley..?, spelling of her name might be off, too x_X), and... I can't remember the names of this other one. Didn't he also do My Neighbor Totoro though?

I'm not sure...but if you find out for sure and you want to vote for one of them let me know I'll add it up there on the poll.
tsukiyuuki
I honestly can't pick a favourite Studio Ghibli film - I've seen everything Ghibli's released so far except Tales of Earthsea, including shorts films, TV spots, and the music video they made, and I seriously can NOT pick a favourite. I like all of them.

I could go into detail about why I like each one, but, well, I doubt anyone is actually interested in that. If you are, you can ask, though, haha.

...Which reminds me that I need to watch Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, and Grave of the Fireflies again. I haven't watched them in ages. XDD
Seiji
They are some of the best pieces of anime. Sometimes I catch Spirited Away on TV and I always end up watching it. Its movie I never get tired of and I thought Brave Story would kind of be the male version of Spirited Away but it wasn't. Nothing can compare to Miyazaki's word or even Studio Ghibli.
tsukiyuuki
Seiji wrote:
They are some of the best pieces of anime. Sometimes I catch Spirited Away on TV and I always end up watching it. Its movie I never get tired of and I thought Brave Story would kind of be the male version of Spirited Away but it wasn't. Nothing can compare to Miyazaki's word or even Studio Ghibli.

Man, I've lost track of the number of times I've watched Spirited Away. The first week alone that I had the DVD, I watched it eight or ten times. XDD
rufa
Ah yeaah, all those movies are just great. I love his way of drawing and the stories are just so beatiful.

I've seen:
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Castle In The Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service

Is there anymore of his work or anything similar that I've missed?
tsukiyuuki
rufa wrote:
Ah yeaah, all those movies are just great. I love his way of drawing and the stories are just so beatiful.

I've seen:
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Castle In The Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service

Well, in my opinion, if you liked those, you should just watch, uh, everything else the Studio Ghibli has ever done, haha. Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, My Neighbours the Yamadas, My Neighbour Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Tales of Earthsea, uh... yeah. There's a lot of Ghibli shorts and stuff that you can't buy in stores available online, too, through bittorrent and stuff.
rufa
tsukiyuuki wrote:
rufa wrote:

I've seen:
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Castle In The Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service

Well, in my opinion, if you liked those, you should just watch, uh, everything else the Studio Ghibli has ever done, haha. Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, My Neighbours the Yamadas, My Neighbour Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Tales of Earthsea, uh... yeah. There's a lot of Ghibli shorts and stuff that you can't buy in stores available online, too, through bittorrent and stuff.

Ah, thanks. Ye I did see Howl's Moving castle and My Neighbour Totoro. Just never knew they made that many movies. I guess we are kinda behind everyone else with those stuff here in Sweden.

Will check those out. Thanks mate!
tsukiyuuki
rufa wrote:
tsukiyuuki wrote:

Ah, thanks. Ye I did see Howl's Moving castle and My Neighbour Totoro. Just never knew they made that many movies. I guess we are kinda behind everyone else with those stuff here in Sweden.

Will check those out. Thanks mate!

You're very welcome, and I hope you enjoy them! I have to share the love, haha. XD
ddukki
I could've sworn there was another topic like this one. But yeah, I love these Animes. Classics, with no nonsense slapstick. Just straight, plain, fun times ... no wonder Disney jumped at the chance to distribute these in America. My favorite is still Kiki's Delivery Service.
jfcharizard
my favs are spirited away and castle in the sky Smile
urbanbuddha
Hands down, Princess Mononoke. Spirited Away wasn't too bad either. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of miyazaki's films. My first being My Neighbor Totoro.

As of late, I haven't been keeping up with his films as I'm busy with work. Oh well, I'll probably see it on DVD or something the next time I walk into the DVD aisle at some store.
Despereaux
Spirited Away was the first Ghibli/ Anime Movie I saw, and I absolutely loved it; not just for the style and attention to detail but for amazing story telling going on. I've always liked how Miyazaki never uses a definite 'good' and 'evil', every character has their motives and reasons Smile
Now that I've seen a few other Ghibli films, Spirited Away seems very dark (especially compared to Kiki's delivery service!).

Um, the Ghibli films that I can think of right now are:
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Whisper of the Heart
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
The Cat Returns
Pom Poko

I think there's a new film being made called 'Ponyo on a cliff' or something, has anyone heard any news about it? Oh & does anyone know if Porco Rosso is any good? I haven't seen it yet.
tsukiyuuki
Despereaux wrote:
I think there's a new film being made called 'Ponyo on a cliff' or something, has anyone heard any news about it? Oh & does anyone know if Porco Rosso is any good? I haven't seen it yet.

I love Porco Rosso, but it is a little odd, so it isn't necessarily for everyone, haha. XD
Despereaux
tsukiyuuki wrote:
Despereaux wrote:

I love Porco Rosso, but it is a little odd, so it isn't necessarily for everyone, haha. XD

That's okay, I kinda like odd! X3 Hmmm, odd in what way then?
carlokes
Hi there,

I've seen lately Castle In The Sky with my little cousins and i really enjoyed the movie. I has a fantastic story and the animation is actually beautiful. I've also seen Mononoke Hime and Spirited Away in the past but i can't used those to compare now because it has been a long time now.

Stay Cool.
tsukiyuuki
Despereaux wrote:
tsukiyuuki wrote:
Despereaux wrote:

That's okay, I kinda like odd! X3 Hmmm, odd in what way then?

Well, it's about a man who was turned into a pig and is a pilot. XD So... odd in that was, I guess, haha.