FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Logon/Shutdown problem

Da Rossa
I have an issue with my Win XP Sp2: I use Tweakui and set it allow Windows automatically logon with the only username I have here, the default "new user". Ok. Next time Windows loads the logon will be done automatically. Fine.

My floppy drive is disconnected and I don't use it anymore, I even disabled it in the device manager. When Win is shutting down, it stops to pop up a message saying that "Floppy unit is not ready, cancel, retry or continue? (these are the options given, not sure about all of them.) So the pc takes long to shut down.

When I turn it on again, this time it won't logon automatically like it did. I have to manually set in the TweakUI utility everytime I remember that.

I have a feeling that if it wasn't for the floppy-related shutdown problem, this reset of the TweakUI setting would not happen.

How do I get rid of these two problems? I don't want to confirm each time the computer is shutting down, plus it is annoying when it doesn't logon automatically Sad
Appreciated any help in adv. Smile
Diablosblizz
Quote:
My floppy drive is disconnected and I don't use it anymore

Do you mean disconnected from your computer?

Quote:
I even disabled it in the device manager

Well, if it's unplugged inside the computer then it wouldn't show up. If you haven't taken all the cables out for the floppy drive then you may want to do so. Windows shouldn't even guess that there is a floppy drive.
Da Rossa
Actually I disconnected the floppy and, obviously, removed it from the case, then after that I went do the device manager and disabled it. After reading your post, I went back to the DM just to check, and the diskette drive was there, with a red X on it, marked as disabled, but I wasn't even expecting to se a trace of it. How do I remove it completely? Smile
Sunny
Try to disable it in BIOS first , go to bios settings when pc is booting by pressing del or f2, go to cmos setup and then disable floppy drive by selecting none instead of 1.44
SgtGarcia
Sunny wrote:
Try to disable it in BIOS first , go to bios settings when pc is booting by pressing del or f2, go to cmos setup and then disable floppy drive by selecting none instead of 1.44
I think this is correct. As long as the floppy drive is set to 1,44 in the settings windows will assume that the floppy drive is present. But since it isnt this can cause some problems. Disabeling it in bios should fix te problem.
Please keep us updated
Da Rossa
Ok, I disabled it completely in the BIOS, and the window never popped up again, Thanks! Very Happy
But the other problem is still there.
No matter if I set it to autologon on Windows in the TweakUI (you know it?), the next logon will be done automatically, but then I'll have to manually set it again because that option will be reverted back. Sad
virtualsom
The issue with the system not storing the tweakUI setting on shutdown could be because of system restore setting. You can disable the system restore from right click >my computer > properties >system restore > check turn off system restore.
Da Rossa
Are you sure? I need the system restore utility.. plus it does not prevent other system settings to be saved... how come only the TweakUI is targeted? Please tell me that there is another way out Sad
virtualsom
if you want to keep the system restore on please try to manually change the autologon entries. here is the procedure to do it.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Double-click the "DefaultUserName" entry, type your user name, and then click OK.
Double-click the "DefaultPassword" entry, type your password under the value data box, and then click OK.

If there is no "DefaultPassword" value, create the value. To do this, follow these steps: a. In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
Type "DefaultPassword" as the value name, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the newly created key, and then type your password in the Value Data box.

Note : If no "DefaultPassword" string is specified, Windows XP automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon registry key from 1 (true) to 0 (false) to turn off the AutoAdminLogon feature.
Double-click the AutoAdminLogon entry, type 1 in the Value Data box, and then click OK.

If there is no AutoAdminLogon entry, create the entry. To do this, follow these steps:
a. In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
b. Type AutoAdminLogon as the value name, and then press ENTER.
c. Double-click the newly created key, and then type 1 in the Value Data box.

Quit Registry Editor.

Restart the system.
Da Rossa
Thanks a lot man! I solved it with your tips! Smile

By the way, I think the name "New User" is kinda akward. How can I rename it without screwing anything up, the Documents and Settings subfolders and stuff? Smile
virtualsom
Create the target user and log in as that user. logoff and login as the administrator and migrate the old profile into the new one and delete the old one after everything is settled. Copying a user's profile data in Windows XP can be done by right-clicking on My Computer | Properties, then Advanced | User Profiles | Settings and using the Copy To function to select a target profile folder.
Da Rossa
but do I need to manually set all programs that have been set to save their settings in the current profile to the new one, or they will detect it?
virtualsom
It is total account migration. all the settings will also be moved.
Da Rossa
Quote:
Copying a user's profile data in Windows XP can be done by right-clicking on My Computer | Properties, then Advanced | User Profiles | Settings and using the Copy To function to select a target profile folder.
I'm surprised: The "administrator" profile is excludable, but the "new user" one is not, why? Is it that the actual administrator is the 'new user' and the current 'administrator' is not important so I can remove it?
Da Rossa
Anyone?
jembo
i'm having problem with my vista's laptop
when i plugged in my flash disk, the screen become blue..

then, when i'm restart my laptop, i can't enter my account
because when i'm done typing my password and I pressed enter, the screen become blue again

how to solve this problem?
Da Rossa
I believe it's a better idea if you open your topic to that problem.