FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

To all the people living outside of the USA...

Does the news in your country report on the US presidential race?
Yes, every day.
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Yes, once or twice a week.
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Sort-of, I've heard it mentioned a few times.
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Not really, but I have heard that there's an election going on this year.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
No, I never hear anything about it.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

quex
Is news of the impending US presidential election being reported at all on your television networks, radio, or internet sites?

And a second question: Do you care at all about it?

It surprises me every time I see the BBC reporting on the upcoming elections in the United States. It seems that most US news services only mention the elections taking place in other countries when violence erupts over the results, or when the outgoing/incoming leader is a dictator that the US government has issues with. I am curious to know if other countries are more comprehensive in their reporting, or if there is a surge of interest to see who will finally replace Bush in the White House.
Genesiz
There's an election. Going on. Right now. In America Shocked

Although it may seem than way, i am not completely naiive. Sure, i know about the election. Because of the media, hmm not really, just kinda came up in converstion. Am i bothered who wins, again not really, i may look up who wins if i dont get told, during a free five minutes between posting, but i won't be enthralled if one person beats another.

That said, if i did find out there was some controversy, because as you said the bbc reported it, i may actively find out, but thats only in the extremist of situations.

I live in the UK by the way.
MaxStirner
It certainly is in the news, and on a "primary" day it is usually a top story. Personally, I still have many friends in the US, but even for those readers / viewers with no connection to the States: when the last super-power on Earth votes, one tends to listen. So please do a good job (this time ) Cool !

Frankfurt, Germany
ocalhoun
MaxStirner wrote:
when the last super-power on Earth votes, one tends to listen.

That really is the explanation for the election being on the news all over the world.

If, back during the cold war, a new Soviet leader was coming in to power, you could bet that that would be on the news around the world, including the USA. That is, perhaps, one of the defining characteristics of a superpower, that its politics affect the world enough to make the whole world interested.
palavra
we don't want to interfere to family business!

father goes, son comes
husband goes,wife comes. Wink
LimpFish
Im from Sweden and I see it all the time in the media. And I like it because I find it interesting. I also find the whole "show" that the presidential election is kinda funny.
HalfBloodPrince
Just about every day here...
quex
MaxStirner wrote:
So please do a good job (this time )

Yes, sir. And sorry for the past 7 years. ;_;
quex
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Just about every day here...

Where are you located...?
LumberJack
Every day in Canada, mostly if there is major developments though. There is always something happening though.....

People care, policy in the US has global effects. People are interested to see what is going to happen down there.
quex
LumberJack wrote:
Every day in Canada, mostly if there is major developments though. There is always something happening though.....

People care, policy in the US has global effects. People are interested to see what is going to happen down there.

Wow, I guess I'm a little surprised. The US media always acts like the whole world is paying attention to our country, but I got the feeling it was kinda just American big-headedness. Like how we (generally) call ourselves "Americans," as though the rest of North, Central, and South America don't count as much as the US and can go by some other name for all we care. I can never tell if that one is just habit or really a slight to the rest of the continent...

I guess Canada really does have something to worry about, what with all the border space we share... sorry for sneaking into your country for lower drug prices, by the way. And you guys have good chocolate, too. But, hey, could you keep your fecking geese to yourselves? There's goose crap all over the lawn down here!

(Kidding. ^_^)
alexandros_ch
every single day...otherwise they will cut off the oil supply.and i need to fill my car.we all live in america...god bless america HELL YEAH!!
alexandros_ch
OH I FORGOT

Alexandros
Athens - GREECE
LimpFish
quex wrote:

Wow, I guess I'm a little surprised. The US media always acts like the whole world is paying attention to our country, but I got the feeling it was kinda just American big-headedness. Like how we (generally) call ourselves "Americans," as though the rest of North, Central, and South America don't count as much as the US and can go by some other name for all we care. I can never tell if that one is just habit or really a slight to the rest of the continent...

Hehe you've got a point there. I actually never thought of that... It's kinda like if Germany would call themselves europeans, just because they're the biggest country in Europe, but still not really the same thing... but almost Smile
Bikerman
Here in the UK it tends to be a once a week issue or whenever something comes up (like the democratic fall-out over Clintons remarks on MLK).
Bikerman
LimpFish wrote:
quex wrote:

Hehe you've got a point there. I actually never thought of that... It's kinda like if Germany would call themselves europeans, just because they're the biggest country in Europe, but still not really the same thing... but almost Smile
It is something that annoys me all the time. Canada is a big place too and Central&South America is twice as big.
quex
alexandros_ch wrote:
every single day...otherwise they will cut off the oil supply.and i need to fill my car.we all live in america...god bless america HELL YEAH!!

o.o Why does the US have control over the oil supply to Greece? Are you serious?
quex
Bikerman wrote:
Here in the UK it tends to be a once a week issue or whenever something comes up (like the democratic fall-out over Clintons remarks on MLK).

Now there's something I've been wondering about, too... do you suppose there is a consensual view on the Clinton years in the UK, and is there an expectation to return to that political setup should Hillary Clinton become president of the US? It seems many of my fellow Statsians (what we SHOULD be called, not "Americans") are counting on a Hillary presidency to be a return to Bill Clinton's policies, even though none of her platform issues are relevant to the old Clinton administration...
Tim Graham
The US election generates so much coverage because the policies of the USA hold pretty strong influence over what happens around the world - farm subsidies for developing nations, the War on Terror and so on. As the world's only real superpower it's not a huge shock to see in-depth coverage overseas.

It's often also the case with other countries - UK news services covering the French elections, NZ news services following the Australian election last year.

Australian news services have been following it pretty closely..mainly on days when there have been caucuses or major developments in the various campaigns. Most news services here (commercial or public) have correspondents covering events from the US so it's fair to say they're throwing a reasonably large amount of resources at it all.
ibay
I saw some monkeys racing for bananas on Animal Planet, are you talking about that?
quex
Tim Graham wrote:
The US election generates so much coverage because the policies of the USA hold pretty strong influence over what happens around the world - farm subsidies for developing nations, the War on Terror and so on. As the world's only real superpower it's not a huge shock to see in-depth coverage overseas.

It's often also the case with other countries - UK news services covering the French elections, NZ news services following the Australian election last year.

Australian news services have been following it pretty closely..mainly on days when there have been caucuses or major developments in the various campaigns. Most news services here (commercial or public) have correspondents covering events from the US so it's fair to say they're throwing a reasonably large amount of resources at it all.

That is kinda what I'm getting at, I think. The US doesn't cover other nations' elections nearly so well as (it sounds like) other nations cover our elections. I worry that the US media is too self-centered to properly educate their viewers about important events in the rest of the world. I wasn't sure if it was this way in otehr countries, but from what I've gathered from everyone in this thread so far, I would say non-US media seems much more world-aware. Although it IS true that the US is the only superpower right now and therefore should only expect a little more attention from the rest of the world's media, it seems bigoted that the US only ever seems to cover the big events in other nations when:

1) we are fighting a war there,
2) we are winning or close-to-winning a sport there (the Tour de France, the Australian Open, etc.),
or
3) there is a funny and/or incredible story, such as a German man driving his car into a house by too-closely following the instructions of his GPS device, or a man in India getting married to a goat.

It just seems wrong to me.
LumberJack
LOL... ahh yes, Canada Geese. Smile

They don't compete with the crap that is coming out of Washington... so why complain Smile
quex
LumberJack wrote:
LOL... ahh yes, Canada Geese. :)

They don't compete with the crap that is coming out of Washington... so why complain :)

A++
Bravo, sir!

XD
quex
So, my dear friends, NOW how is the news? Do you think you're getting more or less coverage of the US elections now that we're down to three candidates (Ralph Nader)?
liljp617
quex wrote:
So, my dear friends, NOW how is the news? Do you think you're getting more or less coverage of the US elections now that we're down to three candidates (Ralph Nader)?

How bout four candidates?
MaxStirner
quex wrote:

No, the democratic primaries are still close enough to interest most newspapers and TV stations (and Rep. primaries not completely as one-sided as some might believe) and, unless I missed a withdrawal, a number of candidates still in the game: Huckabee, Clinton, Obama and McCain plus any number of others/independents: Nader, Libertarians, (Paul??) ...)

Max
Frankfurt, Germany
apple
I'm in the Caribbean and I hear about it everyday...on every newscast.

if its important to me? yes and no. yes cause what happens to the US and the US dollar affects the whole globe. no cause I can't say I care about the US much (if any)
liljp617
MaxStirner wrote:
quex wrote:

No, the democratic primaries are still close enough to interest most newspapers and TV stations (and Rep. primaries not completely as one-sided as some might believe) and, unless I missed a withdrawal, a number of candidates still in the game: Huckabee, Clinton, Obama and McCain plus any number of others/independents: Nader, Libertarians, (Paul??) ...)

Max
Frankfurt, Germany

It really is just Obama, Clinton, McCain for a chance to win =/ Yeah there are still others in the race pulling in some votes, but none of the others mentioned really have a chance to win the Presidency/nomination (Democratic side is still open for nomination obviously).
sandmanxyz
Here in Saarbrücken, Germany we get news from the US Presidential Race every single day. Wink
ciureanuc
At work I'm listening American Radios... that ones from iTunes list...
I don't know politics, I don't care too much about he Americans BUT I will tell you this: when I was 18 I was DREAMING to go in the US. I wanted to feel New York, maybe to live on thee streets for couple of weeks... America... America... America...

Today, I consider to see Peru, Bolivia, Canada, Russia... America is not on my list...
I try to listen American Radios to understand why I don't like you anymore...

If I will be an American today, I will vote Obama... you know why? He seems more HUMAN than the others...
Something happened with you guys!!!

edit: I am Romanian. Bush came two times in our country... and his father too... some of my people say that we should be proud...
blackheart
On our local news, I'd say it's briefly reported on every second day, and in a bit more depth if something interesting happens.

It's getting more coverage than other international elections have been, anyway.
genchan
The local news do not put any emphasis on the impending US presidential election. Some of it appears in the local newspaper but nothing much is reported on TV. It is interesting considering that US economy and political development have implications in many countries abroad, yet much of the news on evolving election campaign have been kept out.

I doubt this is done deliberately or with any conscious intent but I think people over here just ain't into it. Most do are interested in knowing who will be the next president but not many are interested in following the election which is taking months and months compared to most countries which takes a few weeks.

As to the second question, I definitely do care simply because it is important to know the incumbent figure and what his/her policies are vis-a-vis other countries. Wish more of the election news can be reported on TV, instead of turning to CNN for that.
Soulfire
My aunt and uncle travelled through Cina (Hong Kong) and Singapore recently, and they said that the election races were all over the news in both nations. There is overwhelming support for Barack Obama outside of the U.S.

Hopefully there is enough support in the U.S. to get Obama elected. McCain won't change anything ... and with an economy in recession, a world that hates us, a housing market that is failing, rising gas prices, global warming, civil rights being abused, etc.; we definately need a change.