FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is my PC hacked?

bostko
Here it is the problem. So I'm using fedora 8 with gnome, and the problem is that when I login in to my e-mail account or any other account appears some nicks which I never had used, and the strangest is that nobody else is using my PC. How can this nicks come to my Firefox. Question
Flarkis
Kinda suprised a linux user would use the work "hacked". To give you any help we need more info. What is nicked what versions of software are you using and are you up to date?
bostko
Yes I always update my system. I use Firefox 2.0.10. These nick wich appear when I try to login somewhere are from forum.bergon.net and these few nicks are all to some hackers (not exactly hackers but there all very smart Smile )
FriBogdan
Hm.. if you don't give us some details we can't help you Neutral. Give us some names... screenshots... a binary file .. anything Neutral
rpdlch
I've got a gut feeling you arent hacked, and besides that, Linux PC arent hacked that often. Dont trust my gut feeling though.
internetjobs
is it possible?
fadirocks
unless you;re using a easy password for root or your account
HamsterMan
I would feel honored if someone actually hacked my pc.

And you're using linux, so I really doubt it.
FunDa
bostko wrote:
Here it is the problem. So I'm using fedora 8 with gnome, and the problem is that when I login in to my e-mail account or any other account appears some nicks which I never had used, and the strangest is that nobody else is using my PC. How can this nicks come to my Firefox. Question

try clearing your Firefox cache. And see if they recur. If they do find out if anyone else at your place has access to your password. Trust me, change your root password, and one of your friends may come ask you why you changed their password - that they can't play Linux games anymore.

What nicks are they ? U mean nicknames / login names right
zaira
Is Windows hacked easily than Linux? Is there really a software concerning in hacking some PC which is available in the web? I guess i have a lot of questions for hackers stuff. But mostly, as far as i know, Linux is better than windows in times of security so say that its not an hacking incident but a virus or bug.
esupun
I don't know actually. But I think windows is easy to hack than linux
misterXY
esupun wrote:
I don't know actually. But I think windows is easy to hack than linux

it's not soo much the o/s, its the user behind it that makes a pc invulnerable. stupid user = pray smart user = hunter. Shocked
emem
Well he could be hacked if he used vulnerable software... But if you're using Fedora I think it updates regulary so... Like the people above said, if you have an easy password for root or any of your accounts you can be hacked easily.
jontyboy
Windows has many more holes than Linux even though Linux is free. The only reason Windows is easier to hack is because its more common. Though if its through your email its unlikely that they could do any real damage to your computer eg:format your hard disk. all i can recomend is to have anti-virus software installed.
conandoyle
yes, it'sn so easy to hack in linux...
your problems could be cause of another user is using your PC (when you leave it)

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Agent ME
Perhaps someone else is using your computer physically when you're not there?
mehulved
zaira wrote:
Is Windows hacked easily than Linux? Is there really a software concerning in hacking some PC which is available in the web? I guess i have a lot of questions for hackers stuff. But mostly, as far as i know, Linux is better than windows in times of security so say that its not an hacking incident but a virus or bug.

As people say "security is only as good as the weakest link, which is usually the user". So, it doesn't matter if it's windows or linux, in hands of an idiot either can be easily got into. But, yes with windows you need to worry more about virus and stuff.
xbcd
if sombody was able to get this far on my ubuntu box and actually cause some damage, then i would praise them and want to meet them. Cause they got some real skill. SO i DOUBT you got HACKED!