FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Questions about Studying in the US

leontius
Hi,

I am currently looking forward to studying in the U.S. as an international undergraduate (first-year) student. My questions are too many, so I will list them here, and I hope some of you can help especially for people in the US:

1. If I go to university in the first year, how fat is the chance for getting a scholarship for the 2nd year (i.e. how many percent of the students got scholarships)? Because I heard that there are lots of them, some covers full tuition fees and some don't. I wish I got more info on this...
2. Is it true that community colleges do not have the quality of a university, i.e. students with low scores always go to community colleges, so community colleges "suck"? Because I consider community colleges for economical reasons.
3. I heard that you have no chance of getting scholarships if you are still in community college (for international students). Is that true?
4. Which univ is known for its engineering programs, especially chemical engineering? (probably a bit too far-fetched, but I hope someone know!)
5. Is it possible to get into some universities without SAT (but with good TOEFL - my IBT score is > 100)? Is it only the case of less known universities?
6. Do you think my choice for education in the USA is good?

That's all and I hope you can help!
crdowner
Hi leontius,
It has been nearly 14 years since I graduated from college but I will try to answer some of your questions.

1. I have not heard of anyone getting a scholarship for the 2nd year of college but I suspect the rules are a bit different for international students. I do recall that financial aid and scholarship applications had to be completed/submitted many months in advance.

2. I am sure you will get lots of different opinions about community colleges. I personally never planned to go to a community college but I did becuase I got a full scholarship to a community college. Personally I think I learned more at that community college than I did at my four-year college. FYI - I graduated second in my high school class so community colleges definitely have students with high scores too. I had a good score on my ACT as well.

3. I am not sure what scholarships are or are not available for internation students but I was able to get a scholarship to attend a four-year college based on my grades at my community college.

4. I have no idea which colleges are known for chemical engineering programs. I attended the University of Mississippi. I attended the School of Engineering but I studied computer science. I know the U of M offers many other Engineering degrees though.

5. Again the rules for international students may be different but 14 years ago, most colleges required either ACT or SAT scores. I am not familiar with TOEFL/IBT.

6. I can tell you that there were LOTS of international students at the University of Mississippi. I assume students come to the US for some reason.

Hope this helps.
leontius
Hi crdowner,

Thanks a lot for your comments, it expands my perspective a lot! Some rules changed, though - I believe that most colleges now do not require SAT (hell, some of them do not require toefl either, so everybody with enough money can enter). Probably your answers apply to international students, but not all of them.

So does anybody else have a different opinion?
Afaceinthematrix
leontius wrote:
Hi,

I am currently looking forward to studying in the U.S. as an international undergraduate (first-year) student. My questions are too many, so I will list them here, and I hope some of you can help especially for people in the US:

1. If I go to university in the first year, how fat is the chance for getting a scholarship for the 2nd year (i.e. how many percent of the students got scholarships)? Because I heard that there are lots of them, some covers full tuition fees and some don't. I wish I got more info on this...
2. Is it true that community colleges do not have the quality of a university, i.e. students with low scores always go to community colleges, so community colleges "suck"? Because I consider community colleges for economical reasons.
3. I heard that you have no chance of getting scholarships if you are still in community college (for international students). Is that true?
4. Which univ is known for its engineering programs, especially chemical engineering? (probably a bit too far-fetched, but I hope someone know!)
5. Is it possible to get into some universities without SAT (but with good TOEFL - my IBT score is > 100)? Is it only the case of less known universities?
6. Do you think my choice for education in the USA is good?

That's all and I hope you can help!

1. Everything to do with scholarships is based on your grades and financial needs.
2. Community Colleges don't suck; that's just the connotation they receive. They're good for economic reasons.
3. This is not true.
4. Universities known for engineering are MIT, Cal Tech, Stanford, and Cornell. All are great engineering schools - the best in the nation. However, they are expensive and extremely hard to get into. However, if you manage to get into them you're more likely to get scholarships. I would check out some of the schools in the UC system (like UC Berkley)*.
5. I'm not sure what the TOEFL or IBT is, I've never heard of those. Are those equivalent to the SATs in other countries? If yes, I'd suggest going to some of the websites of the schools that I mentioned. I'm posting a link to the UC school system at the bottom of the post.
6. It depends on what you're looking for. Do you want to experience a new culture? Do you want to see other countries? Do you want to travel? Do you want to experience the education available in the US? Right now I'm going through a similar thing. I'm in the United States and I'm trying to go to school in Africa for the reasons that I just mentioned. Good luck.

*http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/