FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Connecting two pc's using LAN cable

ssthanapati
I want to connect and transfer data b/w two pc's using a lan wire. I dont have a hub. I have heard that it is possible but dunno how.

One of my pc is running vista home premium and the other one windows XP

Also tell me wat settings are required
Arnie
You need a cross-cable, for starters.
ssthanapati
Arnie wrote:
You need a cross-cable, for starters.

ok i got that. what next? Nothing seems to happen. What are the settings can any one help?
Arnie
Then you use the Home Network Wizard.
JayBee
You must have both computers in the same workgroup. Then enable some file sharing. Wait some minutes and try to browse the network. You should restart computer after any network change (at least winXP pc, because it is not able to recover from this stupid changes)
Studio Madcrow
Just get a cheap hub. It will make life MUCH easier for you. Also, if both computers are already on the 'Net through a router or something, you don;t even have to mess around: you've already got a network to use!
Arnie
Well, in that case he should get a router, not a hub...
SgtGarcia
You have to connect both PCs using a cross cable.
After that its neccesary to set the IP addresses for both PCs. I router normally gives every PC an IP address but since we haven't got a router we should do without it.
You should go to network options and find the TCP/IP configuration, there you should set the ip address to something like 10.0.0.1 for the first pc and 10.0.0.2 for the second PC. Make sure the subnet mask is the same on both computers (255.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 is recommended). Other options there don't matter.
After that make sure the workgroup on both PCs is set to the same(WORKGROUP for example).
Now you should be able to see the shared directory's when you go to network neighbourhood.
Please keep us updated.
xbow
Arnie wrote:

Why should he need a router anyway, just to connect 2 pc lol.
u just need to setting ip address for both pc in one subnet/netmask, anyway lastest networking hw (eg. gigabit ethernet) have auto sensing on their device so it doesn't really matter if u use a stright or cross utp cable
Arnie
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Just get a cheap hub. It will make life MUCH easier for you. Also, if both computers are already on the 'Net through a router or something, you don;t even have to mess around: you've already got a network to use!
Arnie wrote:
Never said my primary advice was to use a router. Just said that in response to Studio because if you use a hub, you might as well connect the two directly, there isn't much difference. Whereas with a (modern) router you get DHCP which saves the hassle of configuring IP's etc.

Crossed or not doesn't matter provided the TS has autosensing NICs. Since he's probably not going to know, our best bet was to insist on crossed to rule out a possible cause of failure. But this isn't relevant anyway as the TS already stated he has a crossed cable, so that's fine.
[FuN]goku
i got a hub @ my home network.
Arnie
I have 3 hubs at my home network. But also a router with DHCP server, otherwise I have to manually assign every machine an IP.
[FuN]goku
hmm my IT teacher gave me a patch cable for using at school with my lappy.. and if i use it between my lappy and my home pc it connects fine between the two.
Arnie
Then you have your network configured correctly. But connecting 2 random computers via a hub without doing any configuration should only work if there's a DHCP server around. If not, then manual configuration is required.

Or perhaps Vista has another automagic function, but thankfully I wouldn't know about that.
ssthanapati
thanks every1

Neway those lan cables seemed a lot messy. So set up a wireless lan for me and its wrking perfectly

Thanks again Smile
csoftdev
you only need a crossover cable. what you need is just go to any computer shop and ask for a crossover network cable and they will get you one and paid for it and go home, plug each end to each of your computers. then set the ip address for one to 192.168.0.1 and the other to 192.168.0.2. as for the network mask, just use the suggested 255.255.255.0 and ignore the gateway since you are not using it for online anyway. then you can start sharing files and transfer files between two computers.
Flarkis
You can pick up a special cable or a wire splinter extension. Probably more worth your money to get a cheap router.
Naveen
cross cable is pretty messy .. if u dont wanna get in to mess .. use a switch
and use home networking wizard
its pretty easy and u will connect
use this if u r not a networking wizard Wink
ssthanapati
well i am using wi-fi now. Though not as fast as LAN but still does the job without creating much of a problem