FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ps3 Or Xbox 360

cleggster83
Before i start i have to say that i own a xbox 360 but dont own a ps3. But i do believe i have the mesure of the ps3.

Control pads The xbox uses wireless technology and ps3 uses bluetooth with i have found to be not as good as wireless plus you can talk your mates or play games in the next room without problems.

Xbox 360 has double memory on the system side which make its more powerfull.

This is the same with video's graphics.

The playstation can handle 7 controll pad where the 360 has only 4.

Playstation has the wifi intergrated where as the 360 you have to buy the adapter.

The ps3 has full Backward Compatible where as the 360 has limited.

Winner

The 360 of course.

If you want to buy a new system buy the xbox 360. It will be money well spent

Cleggy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
eznet
First I would like to start by stating that I own a Xbox 360 and I am happy with it. With this said, I find it humorous that you cite far more pros for the PS3 than you assign the 360, but you then conclude that the 360 is the clear winner Smile

Just thought that was funny.

I think it all boils down to what you want. I cannot lie; I bought the 360 for Halo 3. There are some other games that I like, but in the end, if it were not for Halo being exclusively on the Xbox I would have likely weighed the PS3 more. Also, PS3s were 700 bucks then... now you can get one for 400, which makes it a much more attractive investment.

You want the bottom line? Pick the console that has the exclusive GAMES that you must have. Next, if games isn't what you are "looking for" and hardware is more important to you, buy the PS3. The hardware in the PS3 stomps the crap out of the 360s hardware (which by standards isn't anything to laugh at in its own right... it just isn't as advanced as the PS3s). Now you can pick up the PS3 for just a bit more than the 360, plus you get the Blueray drive (which recently has pretty much won the format war) as where you don't get a next-gen-hd drive with the 360. Hands down, bang for your buck on hardware is with the PS3... Its just specs - ultimately you better go where your favorite games are.... this is the very reason that Wii sales were so high (which I also own).. it was about the games and not the hardware (as the wii is waaaaay inferior in regards to tech specs)...
chabates
I also own a xbox 360. I did buy one a ps3 to put up on ebay when they first came out but we all know what happend there.

If you are looking at which games are better, here is an example of the xbox 360 killing the ps3. In rockband or guitar hero on the xbox market place there is by far way more add ons (extra songs and such) than are available for the ps3.

I think the blue ray player is going to come through for the ps3 and make it not a total flop but xbox 360 is a superior gaming system.
driftingfe3s
I also have a xbox 360, but with blu-ray on the rise it may become better in a year or two from now. So far games released on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 look the same I guess we'll have to see what happens when developers become more accustom to the PS3.
eznet
driftingfe3s wrote:
I also have a xbox 360, but with blu-ray on the rise it may become better in a year or two from now. So far games released on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 look the same I guess we'll have to see what happens when developers become more accustom to the PS3.

Definitely. I feel that Blu-ray is likely going to play life preserver for the PS3. Now that it seems to have won the format war, and the PS3 price has dropped to $399, I have a feeling that more and more PS3s will find their way into consumers' homes.
Solid point on the second concept as well. Sony and PS3 developers have claimed to not even scratched the surface on the hardware capabilities of the PS3. The industry claim is that where xbox360 is making games at full 360 hardware capability, the PS3 will be capable of releasing truely innovative graphics and physics for years to come - so as the 360 is becoming dated, the ps3 will be releasing titles that appear to be a on an even higher quality system than the current ones.
Side note: Ol' Gates has indicated that MS has never said they would not adopt blu-ray if it won... so I guess now I will have my HD player plugged into my 360 and my Blu player plugged into the HD player... ohhh what a monstrosity!
Bananamango
I own both consoles - and use them both - I would buy the xbox again
the PS3 if its under 300$
Idoru
I don't find the time to play as much as I used to, but the young dude in the family has gotten a 360 and I've at least
tried it out a bit. I'd say It's much more fun then it used to be, but I don't know if it's the technology speaking or the
feeling since it doesn't happen to often.

Anyhow, it's a great machine and I like it. He also has an old x-box, and the improvements are vast. Haven't tried
the PS3 that much, but the price-tag makes the final decition - it's about the same thing but much more expensive.
I belive it's the 'microsoft-factor' making a difference. The same thing goes for computers, a PC is simply cheaper
then a mac, and it's cheaper to get the stuff you need for it.

Finally, we got a WII for him aswell, and though it isn't in the same leauge when talking graphics, titles, etc, it's
still a hit. The interface is defenitly the beginning of something new in gaming-macines. Very Happy
And lot's of fun with a couple of friends and a couple of beer! Razz
bonestorm74
There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the PS3 right at the moment, but I've played one and it seems to be not too bad. I don't think there's many great games for it yet, which is a problem. If I was buying a console now I'd go with an Xbox 360 I think. Just seems to have a bit more going for it right now.

Unless you want Blu-ray of course, in which case PS3 is the go.
Afaceinthematrix
Well I've never really played a PS3. I played one for about 2 minutes one time. It was some rock 'n roll game and I was trying to play the drums; it was difficult. I've played the Nintendo Wii and the XBOX 360. So I guess I'll have to say the 360 was better simply because I do not have experience with the PS3. But really, what was the difference between the PS3 and PS2 and the XBOX and XBOX 360? I never bought one and most likely will not because I didn't see anything that would make it worth the money. Besides, I play video games very rarely. If I was going to buy a new system, I would by the Wii. Even though it was for little kids (which is why I'm not buying it), it actually had a clear distinction between the Gamecube and Wii. It actually made you see what you're spending the extra money on.
neo_butterfly
Yes, I have played both. At my cousin's house, and the PS3 at Toys "R" us. Well, I only played once, not to say twice, but I do like both. Well actually PS3 isn't that 'chatterish' anymore like it used to be when it was released. So I have to say I really like Xbox 360 more.
eznet
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
... for about 2 minutes one time...

I definitely wouldn't call it a fair and well informed review then Wink

EDIT: Why the heck did this thread get started in the "Hobbies and Animals" Subsection?
eday2010
And does this topic really even matter? It's not going to sway anyone's opinion. Just get the console that has the most games that interest you. How much theoretical power a console has means shit if it doesn't have games that are FUN.
thinkfacility
I think that the Xbox 360 wins hands down. One has Halo 3, and the other one has limited games that you can play, case closed Razz
eznet
eday2010 wrote:
And does this topic really even matter? It's not going to sway anyone's opinion. Just get the console that has the most games that interest you. How much theoretical power a console has means shit if it doesn't have games that are FUN.

Thanks for repeating me Smile

eznet wrote:
Pick the console that has the exclusive GAMES that you must have.

...from 2nd post Twisted Evil
evilryu530
ps3. i love mine, it's awesome. mini computer almost. it needs better surf browswer
agustin
I think the ps3 its way better. i heard that the x box 360 explotes or get damege easily. well i dont have any of those so... i dont know. haa
ptfrances
Now that Blu Ray technology has been chosen as the main DVD technology, I think that PS3 is a best choice than X Box.
miacps
When it finally comes time for me to pick up one of the newer consoles, I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the Wii. xbox 360 might have great graphics but as far as I know there are no fun abstract games, they're all going for semi-realism and I get bored of that. Also, the 360/PS3 are really pricey compared to the Wii.

Besides, theres no way I can pass up the new Mario(Smash brawl and Monkey Ball too)! But then again I could be biased since I've been playing Mario games since I was 4-5ish. Wink
PANTONEPIRATE
get a ps3 sony dont screw small business like microsoft.
plus it runs linux real nice.
and the best reason to get one is becouse when your not useing it it will
fold fats for cancer research.
Blarg
You also have to take into account that the Xbox 360 has been out for a while before the PS3 was released, which meant that most console owners had already purchased the Xbox 360, thus giving Sony a minimised sales.

I do agree that, even as a 360 owner, the PS3 has considerably better specifications and reliabilty, but you just don't care really.

The Xbox 360 is packed with so many more features and hit game titles such as Gears of War (Just wat till November '08) and Halo 3. While the PS3 may display better graphics, but the overall enjoyment and connection between the world is much more limited.

Although you just have to wait and see in 2010-2012 which are the estimated dates of the release of the new unnamed Xbox and Nintendo.
kootinlok
PS 3 is quiet good, Xbox is not bad, for me both of them are good Very Happy
xava
better games on PS3
SexySuzy
xbox 360 for online gaming and wider selection of games - ps3 wins though as its more powerful and it has a blu ray player built in . I have both systems so i am not biased .
Rusakko
I have xbox360 and I am happy with it.
eznet
I continue to see BluRay mentioned as a motivation for buying a PS3 over a XBox360 - this only makes any sense if you are buying it to watch movies. Granted, a lot of people do wish to watch movies, but to make this the main factor for buying your game console is like buying a car because it has an iPod hookup. When buying a GAME console, it makes sense to evaluate the games you want first. All consoles have a lot of shared titles and a hand full of console specific titles - so, 2 firing braincells will tell you to think about what games you must have and what console they are on. If all the games you want to play are made for all the consoles (which is really unlikely), then buy based on the format of the disk, but in the likely case that you must have Halo, Tekken or Mario titles then your choice should be clear.
I own a 360 and I will admit that this is mostly because I am a Halo addict - have been since Halo Combat Evolved. There are a handful of other titles that I play on there, but Halo is the main draw. I would like to watch BluRay movies on there, but I cannot with my HD player... Bummer.. but I can't play Halo on PS3 and I was in the market for a Game Console - NOT A MOVIE PLAYER.
I also own a Wii. I bought it a)because after I sold the other 3 at a profit, I got mine for free and b) because there are a handful of Nintendo titles that I knew I would never get without a Wii. I have played mario since Mario 1 - On the NES (8-bit baby!) and couldn't imagine not being able to play Mario Galaxy (a game worth the purchase alone). I also wanted Smash Bros and Zelda... So, a 360 or PS3 for these would have been about as useful as a one handed hooker in a double tea... never mind, that is a bad/inappropriate analogy, but you get the idea - or you don't, in which case it doesn't matter what console you buy because you likely will not be able to figure out how to power it on.
I would like a PS3; there are a couple motivations for this desire: 1)The hardware - I am a CS major and the PS3 is one hell of a machine. I would like to hack around in Linux on it 2) I like Tekken 3)I need a HD player and I get the 2 previously mentioned perks plus the BluRay...
Basically, use you head. Why do you want it. What do you want it to do. No one can make that call for you. They can make the call for them and you can follow blindly like a clone, but it would make more sense to get what you really want since you are likely paying the big bucks for it yourself!

-Matt
scutari
well to me, i really like pets a lot, especially the cats, but I have a dog too just to keep safe my house Very Happy , and what is important I don't keep it inside my house, just in the garden so noone steals Laughing
Maserman
It depends what you want - expensive ps3 with all stuff, great platform.
Or just xbox360 - what crashes many times... Im living in Poland, a friend of mine had xbox360 - before Christman his xbox broke down... He had to send it to... DENMARK to Microsoft main office or whatever is called. He still didnt get hes xbox back...
whitehole
both are great imo.
eznet
Maserman wrote:
It depends what you want - expensive ps3 with all stuff, great platform.
Or just xbox360 - what crashes many times... Im living in Poland, a friend of mine had xbox360 - before Christman his xbox broke down... He had to send it to... DENMARK to Microsoft main office or whatever is called. He still didnt get hes xbox back...

Funny, I have a friend who has now had 3 different PS3s. The first one kept crashing out after sending it in for repairs, so they sent another one under the warrenty. Then, after about 2 months, the second one went out in a puff of smoke and so now he is on #3!
I have owned an XBOX for more than a year and have had no problems. I will admit that I fear the dreaded "3-blink" of red death, but (knock on wood) luckily I have been fortunate to have had no problems. I think there were a couple of batches of bad Boxes, but I know a lot of people with 360s and don't know anyone who has had to send it back in. Also, a pro on the 360 - if your box dies of the red ring, MS extended the warrenty on this repair to 3 years after purchase. Clearly if a company screws up, they should make right on it, but I have never seen another company extend a repair coverage to three years - even for something that is their fault!

Again - its all about the games (the ones YOU, the buyer, want specifically).
hlavco
I haven't had much experience with either of these. Never even touched a 360. My brothers got a PS3 for Rock Band, and that's awesome, but I haven't used it for anything else yet. Oh well, GTA IV is out and Gran Turismo 5 is around the corner... I'll be getting some good use out of it.
xbcd
let me first say that i own niether. but would buy a PS3 when i get some money cause:
A. Blu-ray
B. Linux Support out of Box
C. GRAND TURISIMO 5
D. GRAND TURISIMO 5
and last but not least. just cause im a racing fan and am considering buying a PS2 for $30 from a friend to Play GRAND TURISIMO 4.

Here it is:

E. GRAND TURISIMO 5 and Logitech GT5 Wheel
bonestorm74
Certainly a can of worms you've opened here.

I just bought a PS3 this weekend and I'll give you the reasons why I chose that way.

Firstly PS3 does cost more than the 360, but the 360 costs $$ on a yearly basis for online play. This negates the price advantage for me (in fact, over the lifetime of the console the PS3 is considerably cheaper with this rationale).

The 360 is not reliable. The red rings of death are a common occurence (check any gaming forums for support of this). The PS3 seems to have far less hardware issues.

Many 360s are noisy. This is luck of the draw, some are, some aren't. As with the red rings of death it just screams cheap manufacturing.

I also own a gaming PC, so as far as games go, most 360 games are ported to PC down the track, which is not true of many PS3 games. This is a point that's specific to me and may not be to other people.

PS3 has Blu-ray, and has the ability for linux installation and an upgradeable hard drive.

That's the main points for me.
daynekemp
Well isnt this a common question these days...
I dnt own either but have much experience with the 2 consoles.

Firstly, the XBOX has 2x the memory than the PS3, making mutli-tasking/threading easier.
The above statement applies for both system memory as well as graphics

The controllers are both wireless but where the PS3 uses bluetooth, the XBOX uses wi-fi.
Wifi seems to be the better option, even tho bluetooth and wifi use the same technology.
But the PS3 can support up to 7 controllers wehreas the XBOX only 4. Wierdly enough tho,
XBOX requires one to buy a wifi adapter where PS3 comes ready-installed

My personal optionion, wait for the 4th generation of console as it will be taking the Nintendo Wii
to the next level. And sometime from now, we'l have full virtual reality
Zuex
Playstation 3 is the next-gen console.

CPU
Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU
RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound
Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)
Memory
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth
Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance
2 TFLOPS

Storage
Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O
USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller
Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)

AV Output
Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media
CD: PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE
mrcafaro
Xbox360 is no slouch.

CPU 733 MHz Intel Custom Pentium III
Front Side Bus 133 MHz - 1.0 GB/sec
RAM Micron 64 MB DDR SDRAM
Memory Bandwidth 6.4 GB/sec bus
Storage Medium 8 GB Hard Disk
(Western Digital, 5400 RPM)
I/O (Input / Output) w-5x DVD-ROM
Type 9 DVD - 8.5 GB single sided
4x Proprietary USB Game Ports (12 Mbps)
Broadband Ethernet Connection (100 Mbps)
Proprietary Audio/Video Connector
Graphics Processor Unit 250 MHz Custom-Designed NV2X
Max Polygon Performance 125 M/sec
Simultaneous Textures 4.8 G/Sec
Pixel Fill Rate 12w
Compressed Textures Yes (6:1)
Maximum resolution 1920 x 1080 (HDTV Required)
MPEG 2 Support Yes (Standard DVD)
HDTV Game Support Yes (HDTV Cable Required)
DVD Movie Playback Yes (DVD Remote Control Required)
Media Comm. Processor 200 MHz Processor Custom
Designed By NVIDIA
Controls Hard Disk & DVD
Controls High-Speed Ethernet
Controls Proprietary USB Game Ports
Controls Advanced Audio which uses:
licensed technology from UK's Sensaura 3D.
Peripheral Bus (MCP BUS) 400 MB/s (Full Duplex)
Broadband Enabled Yes (10/100 Mbps / TCP/IP / WinSock)
Audio Channels 256
3D Audio Support Yes (64 3D channels)
Operating System - Windows 2000 Core OS
(Custom designed by MS)
- DirectX 8.0a (Drivers)
- Part 1 of the OS is on the hard disk < 1 MB
- Part 2 of the OS can be DVD disc < 500 K
- (Part 1 includes the core OS, DirectX, DVD playback, some drivers and 3D user interface)
- (Part 2 includes things like libraries, other drivers and other features needed by the developer)
- OS takes less then 3 MB in RAM
- The OS has a 3D user interface when no games are inserted to play music CDs, run DVD movies etc.
- The games run in ring 0, known as kernel mode which is the fastest mode possible.
Zuex
The Xbox Spec's seems to be missing Blu-Ray Technology?

Razz
dungeon
i like mostly xbox 360

Army of Two 4ever Smile
Terracarnus
Personally I prefer the 360, for a number of reasons:

1) "Better Games" - or to be more accurate, more games that appeal to me. Stuff like Crackdown, Overlord etc are really cool, and try somethings a little different. I'm in no doubt the same could be said for the PS3, but to me,the 360 has the more appealing selection

2) Price. I'm a student in the UK. The one thing I am guaranteed to be short of is money. The 360 was and remains cheaper, which gave it a small advantage over PS3 for me.

3) I thought that Sony's attitude towards this generation of consoles was incredibly arrogant, and this impacted negatively on their product imo. Declaring that rumble was "last gen" just because they got the pants sued off them, and then including rumble on DS3 was not only being patronising towards the onsumer, but also quite hypocritical. I also remember some rather erroneous figures they produced which declared PS3 to be twice as powerful as the 360, and declaring that only they could truly be next gen. Then when they saw the Wii was gonna have motion control they hastily added six-way motion to the Sixaxis to try and look like they were being just as innovative.

Having said all that, Microsoft aren't much better, but they seemed to keep their heads down a little bit.

I'm not denying the PS3 is a good console, but tbh it just doesn't seem to be the right choice for me at this time.
guybrush1
honestly how can anyone possiblely go for a PS3 they suck. They are too expensive and it uses blueray, which is like really expensive. Something that crap doesn't deserve that price tag. Get a xbox 360 they rule graphics are better and it has a bigger games catalog.
xboxrocks
Yep xbox360 ftw for games.. ps3 is really good for media and all that but i like xbox360 better cause games are so much better then the ps3..
doapnixon
I have both Very Happy
badgod
i gonna tel u something

i've played xbox360 once and i fall in love in it Cool
thepringer
xbox definatly
TandDoubleu
PS3
Futumuch
PS3 for me. They are even better to look at when there not switched on.
mewmewlazlo
I have had a Playstation one and two, and I am a huge hater of Xbox. But I cannot choose which is better because both have great games and graphics, the Xbox360 is more for multi-player play and the ps3 is for amazingly realistic movies/games in my eyes.
Insanity
I've heard bad things about the reliability of the Xbox 360, like the RROD that has been mentioned, so I'm going to stick with the PS3.
chyron_8472
360. PS3 is too expensive

on the other hand... I'm a huge Zelda/Metroid fan so idk, I have strong leanings toward the Wii.

but oh, Halo... omg Halo, I love Halo. =)
Anyways, I already own a PS2 and a GCN but not an XBox. If I got a 360, I could play all the XBox and 360 games on it, however if I had a ps3 it would only add the possibility of ps3 games to my library.
chyron_8472
guybrush1 wrote:
honestly how can anyone possiblely go for a PS3 they suck. They are too expensive and it uses blueray, which is like really expensive. Something that crap doesn't deserve that price tag. Get a xbox 360 they rule graphics are better and it has a bigger games catalog.

Bigger games catalog... That would seem to clinch it, imo really

A big reason why the NES and SNES did better than the Sega Genesis was because of a bigger games catalog.

More points for XBox =)
amperx
i believe its a matter of preference, if the games that you love most is on which ever console, then go for that console, i own a ps3 and loving it Very Happy
bigt
Xbox 360
Dean_The_Great
Backwards compatibility will keep me going for the ps3. Because I don't want to have a bunch of games I can no longer use, or have to keep ten consoles hooked up to my TV.
darrenfinch
I did not want to get into this debate on the memory spec etc.

Bottom line;
Xbox may have x2 the memory of the PS3 - who cares?

The Xbox is a PC with a graphics card (Xbox was the cheapest web server on the market!). The PS3 is a custom gaming machine.

Don't get me wrong - I loved my Xbox, I also loved my PS2 (hated the noise that made and the slow loading times etc).

If I had my way I would have both (always torn between Halo and Gran Turismo).

Of the friends and colleagues I know, most have had Xbox 360's and in their view have upgraded to a PS3.

That said the PS3 games are more expensive at the moment.

And let's not forget the fact that Intel are currently after making the next gen Xbox processor (xbox 180?)
seirus501
I say the PS3, because Xbox is gonna die. Halo is pretty much the reason xbox is popular, and Microsoft just signed an agreement with Sony to transfer Halo into PS3 format. Very Happy
Besides, PS3 has way better graphics with Bluray than Xbox with DVD, and xbox cant buy bluray because SONY owns bluray Very Happy
Xbox Live u hav to pay, but PSN is free and has more.

In conclusion, PS3 wins, Xbox is gonna die, Sony and Nintendo rule the videogames!
Tadtoad
I prefer my 360 to my PS3 mainly because of the pad. the PS3 pad doesn't feel right when I hold it and YES there is a BIG difference between the PS3 and PS2 pad even if it just looks like it's only the triggers that are noticeably different.

Also, the the PS3 doesn't have exclusives that I like. MGS, Haze, Killzone, final fantasy 13 or XIII which ever it is I want none. Maybe I'll be getting Resistance 2 but that's it. Everything else, I'll be getting on my 360 or on PC.
Reyntjensw
Do you guys think that there will be an update soon for 1 of the 2 consoles?
eznet
seirus501 wrote:
I say the PS3, because Xbox is gonna die. Halo is pretty much the reason xbox is popular, and Microsoft just signed an agreement with Sony to transfer Halo into PS3 format. Very Happy

Can you substantiate this with a legit news report? I have seen the rumors (and trailer played on PS3), but have seen no real official news release on this. It would be awesome, but I will believe it only when confirmed by a reputable source.

I own a 360 and really like it, but this is not to say that the PS3 is not a fine piece of hardware - one that I will likely buy down the road. Admittedly, Halo is a major reason for my 360 support, and if the title becomes available for PS3 with improved graphics, that may spur me into making the change quickly Smile
slashnburn99
I was a playstation fan

in my lifetime bought original ps1 & slimline ps1

bought black PS2, Then Silver Ps2, then pink slimline ps2.

all still run now.

Original PS1 in my garage as a music player in all sorts of weathers and temperatures.

Ah remember the days when it used to overheat and you would turn it upside down to keep playing, great times.

The ps2s are used weekly.

Then came the Wii a compliment to the gaming experience rather than a competitor i find.

Basically was all Sony playstation.

Then the bozos at Sony decide they make an original ps3 which none of the ps2 games will work on, until months later in the UK when a half assed machine is realised.

so approx £1,000 spent on hardware over the years and countless games i really don`t want to work the cost of that out.

i find myself moving over to Xbox360 for Chrimbo, can`t wait

Sony thanks but remember the customer is king not you.

so my advice see what your mates have got, if they get xbox 360 get one, they got a ps3 buy a pet its much more loyal in the long run.
dmystic
i think i would rather buy a PS3 then a XB360, for the fact that ps3 got more games im interested in, but, i stick to my computer.... its cheaper (not the computer itself, but when you include the games, it really is cheaper, because console games are practically 20 to 30 euro's more expensive) its easier to upgrade, you can do more with it, there are mods for it, you can choose the OS you want without needing to crack it, and i can go on and on why computer is better then a console... but i think im getting off topic now...
caoraper
i like xbox, i'll buy 1
anaela
well imma ps3 user and have been a playstation fan for some time now. i had ps, ps2 and now ps3. i must say i like it better than 360.

the only thing that i like about 360 is the interactive gaming (online) and u can play ur own tracks while playing the game. other than that, theres no difference to me with the two game consoles.

ps3 has wireless connection installed, where 360 u have to buy a piece in order to get connection.

the blu ray isn't much of a plus for ps3 for me. its just like a regular dvd player. just higher quality.
pho3nixsky
XBOX Live is great, and has a huge community. If you'd be able to get xbox live pass then honestly get an xbox. Plus its much more easier to hack.
SBCBC33
I personally prefer the Playstation 3 but I could be biased because I have very limited experience with the xbox. I own neither and tend to always be a generation behind when it comes to gaming. In fact, only six months ago did I finally purchase my first playstation 2. The great thing is is that used games can be found for incredibly cheap prices.
Overall, my favorite system of all time, though, is the wonderful Super Nintendo! Love it!
ese87
I own a PS3... but i always play the XBOX360 at my friends... both are nice, and both have their positives and negatives... to say one is better then the other is just a matter of personal opinion in the end.. i think they equal themselves out and would be happy with either
eday2010
ese87 wrote:
I own a PS3... but i always play the XBOX360 at my friends... both are nice, and both have their positives and negatives... to say one is better then the other is just a matter of personal opinion in the end.. i think they equal themselves out and would be happy with either

You're probably the smartest person on this forum. Besides me, of course Very Happy
eznet
I have recently acquired a bit more insight into this debate - notably when my wife bought me a PS3. I have owned a 360 since they came out and got a Wii shortly after their debut; I only recently (Christmas '0Cool acquired the PS3.

For me, a 28 year old male gamer, I would have to say that the best console has been the 360. Again, this is just me and just my opinion - I understand that what may be important to me as a 28 year old gamer may be different than other gamer demographics.

Although I like all of my consoles, the 360 just seems to have the titles and the community that draw me back. Of course, as has been said many times, the Wii is geared towards the younger crowd - no ifs, ands or buts about it... The titles and the appearance of the games are just more innocent and cartoony. Of course, there are exceptions, but generally speaking, I feel this an accurate depiction of the console - primarily geared towards youth.

The PS3 does bring some great things to the table... I love the peripheral support! For example, I was able to take my existing phone bluetooth earbud and pair it with my PS3 - no need for some expensive, console-specific hardware (cough* XBOX *cough WII)... Also, out of the box Wifi are huge pros for the PS3 and the Wii... Despite the 360 still being my fav, shame on you Microsoft for skimping the $15 a wifi card would have cost you!?

They are all great consoles in their own rights and it all depends on what you are wanting... I know I and many others have said this in the past, but ultimately, it boils down to what you want... Most people will likely want to look at the titles first and start the process of deciding from there.. If at all possible, spend a weekend with all the consoles and then make an educated decision on it...
sebbe44
I have a PS3 and i love it. I recommend it heartily Smile

And i believe it to be alot better than the 360...
Mudkipdw
PS3 is loads better than Xbox, yes it may cost more btu in doing so you get more games, hi res, and a nice shiny box that makes people gasp when they see it ! Very Happy
ahlenius
well, i would rather have an xbox 360, because of the communites, i used to run an xbox live gaming community of 400 members, it was called mgc Mafia Gaming Crew, although the ps3 has less bugs and errors
alkhator
ps3 is better ! But have less games Sad
macky
i would rather go for ps3 than xbox...Ps3 has the ultimate ability to produce the highest quality of graphics in any game we have right now!
allandu
wrong thread much??
and i think you should get an xbox 360 if you want a good community and lots of games(ps3 is dieing because microsoft buys the gamemakers away)
but if you want GREAT graphics get ps3! but not so many games there, and i think the community is really bad there
and really in hobbies and animals Sad what were you thinking?
gcaughill
eznet wrote:
First I would like to start by stating that I own a Xbox 360 and I am happy with it. With this said, I find it humorous that you cite far more pros for the PS3 than you assign the 360, but you then conclude that the 360 is the clear winner Smile

Just thought that was funny.

I think it all boils down to what you want. I cannot lie; I bought the 360 for Halo 3. There are some other games that I like, but in the end, if it were not for Halo being exclusively on the Xbox I would have likely weighed the PS3 more. Also, PS3s were 700 bucks then... now you can get one for 400, which makes it a much more attractive investment.

You want the bottom line? Pick the console that has the exclusive GAMES that you must have. Next, if games isn't what you are "looking for" and hardware is more important to you, buy the PS3. The hardware in the PS3 stomps the crap out of the 360s hardware (which by standards isn't anything to laugh at in its own right... it just isn't as advanced as the PS3s). Now you can pick up the PS3 for just a bit more than the 360, plus you get the Blueray drive (which recently has pretty much won the format war) as where you don't get a next-gen-hd drive with the 360. Hands down, bang for your buck on hardware is with the PS3... Its just specs - ultimately you better go where your favorite games are.... this is the very reason that Wii sales were so high (which I also own).. it was about the games and not the hardware (as the wii is waaaaay inferior in regards to tech specs)...

I nought the 360 for Oblivion. It is really just an Oblivion playing engine. I have no use for PS3 but that is my personal opinion. (yes it plays Oblivion now too)

All the games I like are on 360, none of the games on PS3 appeal to me that are not on 360.

So as was mentioned above, you should tailor the decision to your own personal needs.
traxion
alkhator wrote:
ps3 is better ! But have less games Sad

just a question of time

right now almost 90+% of all the games come to the xbox360 and PS3, so when you played all the games from 08 on the ps3, there are already a ton of new games from 09
hamza1122
ive always been an xbox fan, i don't know why but yea. i like xbox because the games are so much better, like they're more interactive and better storylines, however the only down side is that xbox doesn't develop that many games where as they are still producing ps2 games which shows that it is still popular. There are no more xbox games out there that are new which is bad. But i sitll prefer xbox.
lokito16
i was wondering if any of you know about the prices of these consoles in the US... anyone? please?
EximiusNero
Xbox 360 currently fetches for $299.99 for the regular (60 gb) and $399.99 for the Elite. The PS3 is going for $399.99 for the 80gb version.

Personally I don't like the way Sony is going. The newer versions of the PS3 have dropped backwards compatibility for ps2 games and since I'm sitting on a bunch of ps2 games and a broken ps2, I will not be getting a new ps3. There aren't really many games that would make me want to get it either, except for MGS4!!! My favorite series of all time and I can't play the 4th game because its on the ps3 and I have a 360.....

Love my 360 btw.

Smile
Blacklight28
I chose Xbox over PS3, and I am happy with my choice.

I really cant see the difference between blue-ray and normal, so does it matter?
And I think the Xbox has better games that the PS3 dosn't have, like Halo 3 and Gears of War.

And does it really matter? They're two good consoles with they're ups and downs. So just pick one that suites you. Very Happy
supernova1987a
i dont know if xbox is out with blu ray yet. otherwise i would buy a xbox 360. since i have netflix i want to watch netflix on tv so xbox would be great. on ps3 i dont get to play netflix directly. it sucks! cos i got ps3. and i dont even play much game. i will sell it. the only thing is i get to play blu-ray discs for movies. so maybe i will not sell it.
hamza1122
cool. i love this topic. i think i've posted here before but i'm not that sure. im also struggling to decide between a ps3 or an xbox 360. i always go for the xbox but right now i might choose a ps3 because there are more games that are being offered than the xbox.
steve1200
yes, there are more games, but xbox 360 has the better games Wink

e.g. Halo 3, is only for XBox, Project Gotham Racing only for Xbox, ...
Asap170
I think Xbox360 is a better choice. It offers a lot more then the Ps3 does.
jinz22
X-BOX 360 dont have free online multiplayer whereas Ps3 does but i really like xbox 360 because ps3's dual shock controller is very small for me and i m used to xbox controller so its easier and better for me. I dont mind paying $60 for 13 months of gold live subscription but atleast i know its secured. The only feature i think is extra-ordinary is BLU RAY technology thats included in ps3. To people who do not have any gaming console yet, i recommend xbox 360 ELITE as its the one i have. People say 3 Rings of Death sucks and all that but now they've fixed it and i havent gotten the 3 Rings of death so yeahh i would like people to get xbox 360 elite if they havent bought it yet Smile
microsnitch
get ps3. its more powerful than xbox360.
tinajacobs
Ps3 Pros:
1) Quiet
2) Motion sensitive controllers
3) You can use any Bluetooth headset, keyboard, mouse, etc....
4) Blu-ray
5) Lack of flashing lights on front of machine!
6) Built in wi-fi card
7) HDMI included
Cool Free Online Community and Game Play
9) Tech support speaks english and appears to be located in America, they understood my name and my question.
10) Controllers come with built in rechargable battery and can be charged with any usb port.
11) easy to navigate menus
12) No ridiculous power brick, one cord, if you want to take your ps3 with you somewhere you only need the controller, the unit and the power cord.

Ps3 Cons:
1) No IR receiver, you can't use your regular universal remote to control the ps3 you need a bluetooth which means an extra remote.
2) Shape, this one sounds stupid, but the rounded shape of the ps3 really annoys me because you can't stack, say your wii, or even lay your remotes on top of the unit. (maybe you shouldn't do that anyhow LOL)
3) Less games, or at this point I guess the better point would be less games made for the ps3, instead of built for the xbox and ported to the ps3, this is however changing and in the future will be less of an issue.

Xbox 360 Pros:
1) Great online setup, lots of features which some may miss on the ps3, many probably will not
2) great game line up with a head start on ps3
3) Easy to navigate menus
4) Native Netflix Support

Xbox 360 Cons:
1) Noise
2) Build Quality
3) Online service is $50 per year.
4) Tech support, I have called xbox live support several times, it is impossible to get them to understand what the issue is or even my name, I even gave up once.

PlayStation 3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZJ4…

Xbox 360 Console
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BRJ…
jpayee
X-box3 gonna phase-out sooner. There is so many things you can do in PS3 like watching movie and make it actually a computer
gtsmatrix
I have a PS3 and a xbox, I like the PS3 better cause the xbox has the red ring of death and the ps2 has blue ray.
PS3 is better to me.
ham65
almost the same consoles,lol,you know why ?,same games.....,same graphics.....,almost the same prices.....

Bye
oTricKsteRx
I own a Xbox 360 and I think I will never sell it for a Ps3.
The main reason is because my friends play xbox 360.
CheDragon
I own an xbox 360 and I am happy with it
newerahacks
cleggster83 wrote:
Before i start i have to say that i own a xbox 360 but dont own a ps3. But i do believe i have the mesure of the ps3.

Control pads The xbox uses wireless technology and ps3 uses bluetooth with i have found to be not as good as wireless plus you can talk your mates or play games in the next room without problems.

Xbox 360 has double memory on the system side which make its more powerfull.

This is the same with video's graphics.

The playstation can handle 7 controll pad where the 360 has only 4.

Playstation has the wifi intergrated where as the 360 you have to buy the adapter.

The ps3 has full Backward Compatible where as the 360 has limited.

Winner

The 360 of course.

If you want to buy a new system buy the xbox 360. It will be money well spent

Cleggy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

xbox for the party system but ps3 for the overall look and feel
ricardo22
I haven't have so much experience too, but both looks great
Hello_World
I love the Playstation 3, and find it hard to imagine Xbox would be better. However, I just discovered, here on this forum actually, that a modded Xbox can take Python scripts, the very language I happen to be learning... so all of a sudden I find for the first time I have an interest in Xbox.
rolandgill
depends, if you want good games, your a gamer, and you want the best of games and the most variety of games, you go with the xbox, if you want other things, you go with the PS3, if you want motion controlled fun for a couple months, you go with the wii.
IndirParadise
ps3. i love mine, it's awesome. Embarassed