FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The best free email client

dude_xyx
Which is the best free email client [ pop3 ] ? Is it MMozilla Thunderbird ? I'm looking for one which take less resources, Without fancy addons and features. Basic features and a simple email client would be great.
carlospro7
Ive used Thunderbird and it s great, it may have some extra features, but in terms of resources Ive never had a problem with it. Don t go with outlook, sucks.
mehulved
Yeah Thunderbird. It isn't exactly lightweight. I believe you should be able to get more lightweight mail clients but Thunderbird really provides good features and wide array of plugins. That little extra resources is a good enough compromise IMHO.
LostOverThere
What operating system are you running? If you're using Linux, a quick Google search for "lightweight email client" found Sylpheed. But if you think Thunderbird is light enough, by all means, use it. I use it, I love it.

Good Luck.
welshsteve
I have tried many different ones from Eudora, Pegasus, Incredimail, but Mozilla Thunderbird is definitely the best in my opinion.
JayBee
I used Thunderbird and Opera, both are fine but now, I use only online web version of gmail and it is the best solution for me.
cybernytrix
are you still stuck in the 90's? just use an online one. if you are working for a company, they will force the "company approved crap" aka outlook on you anyways.
Animal
I'll also add a big thumbs-up to Mozilla Thunderbird. The customisability is the real benefit - "out the box" it's extremely light-weight but still has some brilliant features such as a top-class spam filter. However, you can add as many extensions and themes as you like so you can customise to to work just the way you need it to.

Highly recommended.
Flips001
I use the Mizilla Thunderbird for more than one year! And its the best client i've ever used1

The best is his junk-filter!!
pnalaba1
If you need something similar to Outlook, i.e. if you need to access an exchange server, Evolution is good. Evolution, which I think is a GNU program, can be used on Windows or Linux.
qscomputing
I personally use Claws Mail. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's the "best", it's just what I happen to like. Try a few and see which one suits you the most.
pkir
I use Thunderbird, and have also installed it at work (on about 220 computers).

It brings many advantages, compared to outlook express and even outlook
- the security level is much better, and when someone finds a problem, it is cleared very quick
- automatic update works really fine
- a lot of extension available to add new features (have a look at the geckozone http://extensions.geckozone.org/Thunderbird)
- very user friendly
- great spam filtering system
- many wordbooks available for free (of course german, french, english, but also many other languages are supported)
- also great when you manage multiples mail accounts
csoftdev
i use evolution. it is a very nice email client. i use it for linux. i am not too sure if it is available for windows, but a simple search should give you the answer from google.
ammonkc
I would use Mozilla thunderbird.
lethaltriad
I've been using Eudora for the longest time but I much rather Thunderbird now, much nicer. So another vote for Thunderbird
chartcentral
I'm doing well and good with Mozilla Thunderbird. Additional plus is the ease of setup for Gmail accounts! Smile
nplong
I don't like Thunderbird >"<
With Thunderbird, I can't connect to the mail server >"<
Who know the reason ????
dude_xyx
nplong wrote:
Who know the reason ????

Probably because you haven't configure the Thunderbird email client correctly !. Recheck the account configuration again and see you have missed anything.

Well I installed Thunderbird again and Its like after 2 years. It seems lot better than it used to be and also its not using lot of recourses like it used to be. [ Im using it without any plugins ] Very easy to configure and interface is also user friendly.
tombula
I use Thunderbird. It's great e-mail client. He has all options I need, so when I try him, he is my default client and probably will be.
chartcentral
nplong wrote:
Who know the reason ????

There must be some configuration that would make Thunderbird work for you.
Arnie
Thunderbird is an outright waste of your memory, just like Firefox. They're also mighty slow. Opera is faster than either one of them and has more features than both combined. Or, you could go for Phoenix Mail.
Ecthelion
Thunderbird or evolution mail. They are both very good.
inventor
I've been using thunderbird for a long time now and it works great for me.
dude_xyx
Arnie wrote:
Thunderbird is an outright waste of your memory, just like Firefox. They're also mighty slow. Opera is faster than either one of them and has more features than both combined. Or, you could go for Phoenix Mail.

Not anymore. I think them have fix those memory bugs in thunderbird. It works fine now [ At least for me ]
Arnie
Then you should try it on a Pentium 3 and compare with Phoenix Mail / Opera / Outlook Express Wink
sondosia
I like Thunderbird because it's really fast (and my computer's slow, so it can't handle software that uses lots of memory). It's also really customizeable and all that. I've always found Outlook to be inconvenient and slow.

However, I don't really use Thunderbird anymore, because just using Gmail in my browser is even faster, and I can access it anywhere.
shenyl
It sure seem Thunderbird has more praise than others - at least in this thread.

And from the discussions, it seem Thunderbird can connects to POP3 mail servers

Also one manage multi email accounts.

These TWO issues are key for me in using an email client, as I have multiple POP3 mail account - including the one provided by Frihost (Thank you Frihost), and also managed my wife's email account as well. I don't spy on her - she is not familiar with computers but very good at the keyboard (piano keyboard I mean).

So I will go try Thunderbird, as I am really going fully freeware.

Oph, still can dump the XP yet. But trying.

With regards.
cosmicx
for me, i will choose Mozilla Thunderbird, it is free and easy to manage...
however, I also installed Windows Live Mail together with the installation of Windows Live Messenger...
Works fine, but there are still some performance issues Razz
shenyl
Yap, I tried the Thunderbird and config my 4 POP3 mail accounts on it.

Works well, though I have to search for the various places to set the connection, setting up my email accounts.

Well the installation managed to import all personal folder and all the sub-folders seamlessly, BUT failed to import any of my email account setup.

So, there process is not seamless for non-tech person.

I have a gmail account also, and I selected Gmail - wha, I should not have done that - as it creates another separate folder for Gmail. I wanted all the 4 accounts to point to the same folder.

Managed to setup the message filter rules to direct the incoming messages to separate sub-folders - I disocvered they are stored as 2 DB files.

All the testing of sending and receiving works well - a bit of jittery when the password manager needed to remember all my user ID and passwords. Later I was able to find the place to use a master password to encrypt the passwords in Thunderbird. So far so good.

Than I started wondering about the backup of the email - for any disaster recovery.

Of course I have Ghost images, but a reload - then how to back it up?

Anyone cares to share how this free and great software's email data and settings, should be backup for emergency reloading?

Overall I have a positive feeling during the setup and testing - great, the GUI is a little less than the EXPENSIVE Outlook (not the Express version).

Help and with best regards.
shenyl
Yap, Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 looks and use very good.

I have concern over the backup, and I often have my data on D Drive (as I run 2 different OS on my same notebook) to facilitate sharing the same accounts on 2 different genres of Win XP and Win 2003 server.

So I do a usual search on Google - whoo, so much help out there on Thunderbird.

I found this article and it sure solve all my concerns.

http://www.terencechang.com/2007/08/05/sync-thunderbird-profiles-email-accounts-two-computers/

Yes, I have make Thunderbird my default email client.

Great FREE stuff. Thanks for the challenge on this thread.
traxion
cool

i was right now looking for a new email client..

i will go try out thinderbird

thnx for the tips
shenyl
Yap, this is my 3rd day on Thunderbird, and I agreed that it is stable and very good.

The learning of Junk mail is great fun too.

I am able to do everything that I had done in Outlook 2003, except that I don't have to pay for it.

Feedback and help others to gain the confidence to do it.
Agent ME
A tip for Firefox users wanting to use it between different computers - use the portable version on a flashdrive, and back up the data occasionally. And if you use Windows and Linux, you can download the linux version of Thunderbird onto the flashdrive too, and set the profile manager to use the portable profile.
urbanbuddha
I agree with use of thunderbird, I have way too many email accounts to separately check. I tried outlook before, but I didn't like it.

Thunderbird appears to be more simplified and does what I want it to do AND have a built-in RSS reader. A big plus in my books.

If you use Firefox, I highly suggest to get Thunderbird. Also for those using Outlook you can also export your contacts and easily import them into it. As well, if you use an online RSS reader like GoogleReader you'll also be able to export your subscriptions and import them into Thunderbird.

As you can see, my Thunderbird has become my portal to my online reading =)
dude_xyx
You can install extensions in Thunderbird just like in Firefox ( though it would slow the email client ). I have used it since I started this thread and haven't had any problem till now. Its among the best 10 free softwares you can find.
bigt
dude_xyx wrote:
Which is the best free email client [ pop3 ] ? Is it MMozilla Thunderbird ? I'm looking for one which take less resources, Without fancy addons and features. Basic features and a simple email client would be great.

Thunderbird is the BEST!

I just started playing around with it and IMAP today. Guess I've always used POP to get mail from various sources and never really looked at IMAP. It's pretty good so far. Looking forward to having a more synchronous email experience instead of a bunch of duplicates. Everyone should at least look at the idea. I think it's going to greatly enhance my Gmail and just email experience.

Oh, almost forgot the links for more info: Smile

http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/turn-thunderbird-into-the-ultimate-gmail-imap-client-314574.php
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662
shenyl
Yes, I have switched over from MS Outlook to Thunderbird for over 6 months now, and it is a great and free POP3 email client.

Backup and recovery has also been tested and proven.

I use SynchBack to synchronise my Thunderbird directory to another folder as a backup.

My XP crashed once, due to a faulty software installation, and I was able to fully restore all my emails.

I will stick to Thunderbird and now am more open to Open Source software, including Linux.