FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bring a dead heart to life

Liu
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=508028&in_page_id=1774

Cross posted from another forum I visit. Now you can make your own heart too!
quex
I heard about this too... it's amazing! This has huge ramifications, but it only received a short blip in the US news. What the hell? I mean, think of all the people waiting for a heart transplant, and how few hearts can be harvested from organ donors because of the time-of-death factor. If they could extend the period in which a heart could be taken from a donor by using this process to resuscitate the heart muscle, it would really help a lot of people.
HalfBloodPrince
This is great.
MaxStirner
Advances in medicine and for that matter in most natural sciences always tend to amaze me. On the other hand it is discouraging to see how ill prepared our civilization is for these benefactions. Either we conveniently ignore that even by todays standards, life-expectancy in the post-industrial world is double that of many people in developing nations. Geneticists speculate about a death-gene (which of course can conveniently be turn off). We practice abortion and euthanasia or begin to splice the building blocks of life with little clue as to what the results might be. If nothing else, we are sure to use any scientific advancement to build a new weapon.
I am in no way opposed to any type of scientific or technical progress, but I'm hoping that we will someday mature enough to sit down and consider what is that we want.
quex
Quote:
I'm hoping that we will someday mature enough to sit down and consider what is that we want.

Seconded, and bravo. I take heart at the first signs that this maturity exists somewhere; namely, in you.