FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Longest word - You have seen

tempdbs
Just a few days back, I was doing some research on Wiki and some how I found that the Longest word in English is "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis".

Some info thru Wiki on this in the Quote -
Quote:
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the longest word ever to appear in an English language dictionary. This 45-letter, 19-syllable word, referred to in one linguistics journal as p45,first appeared in the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) in 1936. It is still listed in the current edition of the OED, as well as several current American dictionaries.

Which mean -
Quote:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, "a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust found in volcanoes' but occurring chiefly as an instance of a very long word." It was coined to serve as the longest English word. It is one of several dust inhalation lung diseases called pneumoconeoses.

Any other gossips on this and/or any from other languages...!
jtayl153
the longest word that I have ever seen is

Floccinauxicinihilipilification

Pronounced

Floxi - Noxi - cini - hili - pili - fication

the definition is "not much"
nivinjoy
tempdbs wrote:
Just a few days back, I was doing some research on Wiki and some how I found that the Longest word in English is "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis".

Are you sure that this is the longest word.....!!!??

I think i have heard some thing else..please someone confirm this.... and post that here..
James007
Read the rules.

Stop posting useless topics please!