FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

US president bought and payed for?

icecool
icecool wrote:
I read that the declared campaigning budget for all presidential candidates is something like 1.4 billion dollars. Is it all about money? With enough of it can anybody become president? It's a frightening thought.

i was wondering that 4 weeks ago and still am.
especially in the light of more and more theatricals from some of the candidates and mud slinging from others.

is it just all a big marketing exercise?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080115/ts_alt_afp/usvote2008money
ocalhoun
From the source:
Quote:
Arizona Senator John McCain has shown that money is not enough to win the election.

Just six months ago, McCain's campaign was widely viewed as dead in the water amid a cash crunch, and Huckabee had raised just two million dollars by the end of September.

But McCain surged to victory in New Hampshire and Huckabee surprised the nation with a come-from-nowhere victory in the Iowa nominating caucuses.

That's why I've chosen McCain to have my vote: He's strongly against the owned-politician phenomenon that currently grips Washington. No matter what your stance with the other issues, you must agree that nothing very good will happen until we have reform, and Washington no longer strictly obeys Wall Street.
MaxStirner
From outside the US, democracy in the States has always been a discussion somewhere between a template for an ideal system of government and allegations of plutocracy or oligarchy.
Although the truth can probably be found somewhere in between, it is always shocking to see the budgets which presidential candidates apparently need to even stand a chance at being elected and it seems difficult to believe that these debts the candidates are building up, will not be called in at a later date.

CNN-Election Centre (candidate budgets):
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/money/dems.html