FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

US $20 for iPod Touch Software Upgrade...

ganesh
Today was the keynote from Apple's CEO Steve Jobs in MacWorld 2008.

Amongst other things, he announced a software upgrade for the iPod Touch released late last year. It adds five applications to the device, no hardware upgrades required, but costs $20:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/apple-adds-five-apps-to-the-ipod-touch/

Do you think it is fair on Apple's part to dumb down the device, sell it at obscenely high costs ($400) where they would probably be making a profit margin of more than 50 - 60% (remember, all these MacBooks and iPods are manufactured in China / Taiwan / Malaysia etc.) and still charge for some firmware upgrades. Apple appears too greedy, IMHO, and people are still supporting it. What is your opinion?
RiCtee
I think Apple shouldn't charge $20 for that. We paid for the device already and any firmware upgrades should be given as part of that purchase. Another point does any other manufacturer do this?

engadget.com wrote:
New touch owners get 'em all for free, but all of you early adopters will have to cough up: the bundle is going to set you back a whopping $20.

This should justify it. It would be very unfair to the early buyers.
Srs2388
that's really greedy for something that is already over priced.... i hope it ends up on torrents or on limewire.
lastelement0
this is just another reason why i hate the ipod. just overpriced and have you pay for stupid stuff like firmware updates. 20 bux for all that stuff? come on now. someone needs to put a stop to this.

down with IPOD!
ammonkc
I don't really think its about the money for apple. We saw the same thing happen a little over a year ago when apple had to charge a couple of bucks for the 802.11n firmware update to the mac pro. I'm not a CPA or anything like that, but from what I understand, sarbanes oxley requires apple to charge for added features on products where they account for all of the revenue upfront. the iPhone and appleTV revenue is based on a subscription model which allows for them to account for the revenue over the life of the product.
Also, I don't really think everyone wants mail and maps on their ipod. most people who bought the iPod touch clearly bought it for playing digital media, as apposed to iPhone owners who need it to be a communication device as well.
misterXY
Srs2388 wrote:
that's really greedy for something that is already over priced.... i hope it ends up on torrents or on limewire.

it is on my privite group i'm in lol. didn't take long only about 5 hours after it was out in public hands. Razz
andersonshatch
strangely, you can still get the new firmware (1.1.3) without paying for the apps. Don't know what the incentive of doing so is though... other than being able to re-arrange your icons.
jeremyp
andersonshatch wrote:
strangely, you can still get the new firmware (1.1.3) without paying for the apps. Don't know what the incentive of doing so is though... other than being able to re-arrange your icons.

The firmware update includes several new applications like mail and Google maps as well as updates to the base system. The $20 just unlocks the new apps so they can be used.