FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Video Compression





Craeft
Hey there. Questino for the masses:

I do quite a bit of video work... but... there are a couple weird things going on...

For example, I have one video that I want to upload to a site such as youtube or googlevideo or what have you. This video is 23 minutes long... but it's saving at 4.9 GIGS!!! I can NOT seem to get that number down! I KNOW it shouldn't be NEAR that large. I have tried mpg, avi, wmv, everything I can think of. Finally, I tried to compress it to SWF and just have Flash deal with it. When I did that, only the audio remained. The video was completely gone... so, I re-rendered it as AVI which is where it currently resides. Is there any good FREE or INEXPENSIVE (I'm poor, what can I say?) video compression software out there?

So you know, I use Sony Video Vegas and Adobe Premiere, depending on the project.

Thanks in advance for the help.
badai
just export to avi (choose any codec you want) then convert to wmv using windows movie maker, select high quality video (small) (VBR, 320x240)
Craeft
badai wrote:
just export to avi (choose any codec you want) then convert to wmv using windows movie maker, select high quality video (small) (VBR, 320x240)


There is text in it.. 320X240 is way too small, unfortunately. I pulled back on the quality level of the video and it still looks quite good, but the size of the file itself is huge. It's much larger than it should be. The problem with 320X240 is that:
1) If kept at that size, it is too small to read the "dialogue".
2) If the viewer expands the video to full screen, it's too pixelated.

Sad
gh0stface
Like the previous poster posted, export as an .avi then use codecs such as xvid, divx, or h.234 or any other codec of your choosing and encode through virtualdub which is a very solid free software. You'll have to play with some settings in order to get the size and quality that you want.
Craeft
gh0stface wrote:
Like the previous poster posted, export as an .avi then use codecs such as xvid, divx, or h.234 or any other codec of your choosing and encode through virtualdub which is a very solid free software. You'll have to play with some settings in order to get the size and quality that you want.


I'll give that a shot. I definitely have not tried virtualdub.

Thanks. Smile
mOrpheuS
Craeft wrote:
gh0stface wrote:
Like the previous poster posted, export as an .avi then use codecs such as xvid, divx, or h.234 or any other codec of your choosing and encode through virtualdub which is a very solid free software. You'll have to play with some settings in order to get the size and quality that you want.


I'll give that a shot. I definitely have not tried virtualdub.

Thanks. Smile

Virtualdub works great - The only problem, it refuses to convert WMV encoded files.

The codec/settings you'd want to use for compression will depend upon the kind of video you're compressing.
The latest stable version of xvid is generally known to be the best for video compression.
x264 will give you nearly as good image quality, but the image is softer - may not be best for text.

For encoding text heavy (less/gradual scene changes) WMV is very good. You may want to try WM Encoder - http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/f/81f9402f-efdd-439d-b2a4-089563199d47/WMEncoder.exe
ganesh
I know many might disagree.. but the fact is that some of the best things out there for video compression (in fact, anything related to software) are free.. Companies charge obscene amounts of money for their software just for the support (which is crappy mostly, anyways).

Coming to your present predicament, you have a video which is 4.9 Gigs. You say it is 23 minutes long. Can you tell us what the present resolution of the video is? I suspect it is HD (1280 x 720) or SD video converted from Mini-DV to MPEG-2. The bit rate is pretty high at 30.5 Mbps. You don't need that much bit rate for your YouTube videos.

My suggestion: Get mencoder (Google for it. Freeware GPL software). It is a command line tool. Set the target file size (it is a command line option) and it will automatically maintain the original aspect ratio and calculate the new bit rate and do the encoding properly. I would suggest that you use the x264 encoding option. Let is know how it goes.
Studio Madcrow
Also, Youtube will cut the resolution down to about 320x240 anyway. It doesn't allow for anything higher-res.
cybernytrix
I think you will be better off installing VLC (http://videolan.org). Avoid wmv, they are proprietary and not all that great quality.

Use H.264 for really high quality, or XVid/DivX for decent quality stuff. The best part is that iPod/PSP can easily play these files!
Indyan
Save as avi. Reencode using Virtuadub.
X.264,Xvid,VP7 video codecs work well.
You can also use AutoGK if you want a more straight forward application.
pabloa
I use to convert and compress videos this soft: StaxRip
Shuaib
Craeft wrote:
Hey there. Questino for the masses:

I do quite a bit of video work... but... there are a couple weird things going on...

For example, I have one video that I want to upload to a site such as youtube or googlevideo or what have you. This video is 23 minutes long... but it's saving at 4.9 GIGS!!! I can NOT seem to get that number down! I KNOW it shouldn't be NEAR that large. I have tried mpg, avi, wmv, everything I can think of. Finally, I tried to compress it to SWF and just have Flash deal with it. When I did that, only the audio remained. The video was completely gone... so, I re-rendered it as AVI which is where it currently resides. Is there any good FREE or INEXPENSIVE (I'm poor, what can I say?) video compression software out there?

So you know, I use Sony Video Vegas and Adobe Premiere, depending on the project.

Thanks in advance for the help.


You should trt the Divx Codec.Find it at:http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/codec/

Quote:
Benefits

* Up to 50% faster decoding on multi-core computers for better HD playback
* New custom matrices that allow better fine tuning of the encoder for specific content types
* Compress digital video 5 to 10 times more than MPEG-2/DVD format and hundreds of times over raw digital video
* Encode high-definition (HD) video at resolutions up to 1080p
* Play DivX videos on almost any 3rd party software media player
* Achieve the perfect balance between visual quality and performance with six carefully optimized encoding modes
* Enjoy maximized performance for all multithreaded processors (Intel Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 and Athlon 64 FX)
* Reduce grain and low-light noise (common with DV cameras) without significantly degrading the video with the automated noise reduction feature

High Definition

The DivX Codec takes the power of advanced digital video compression to the next level, encoding video at resolutions up to high-definition 1920 x 1080. That's right, you heard it straight: 1080i and 1080p, at a fraction of the file size.
snowboardalliance
gh0stface wrote:
Like the previous poster posted, export as an .avi then use codecs such as xvid, divx, or h.234 or any other codec of your choosing and encode through virtualdub which is a very solid free software. You'll have to play with some settings in order to get the size and quality that you want.


I've had the same problem and that works.

No matter what I try, Premiere (CS3) exports uncompressed .avis (so my 10 mins was 2GB). I could not figure out how to compress it (I set it up with xvid, but it just seemed to ignore the settings).

Anyway, It seems like for premiere, you have to recompress in virtual dub (or something else) after.
Related topics
Winzip, winrar...
Compression Algorithms
Think it's safe to trust your data on DVDs?
TCL Products
Video Compression
Basic video conversion
AviPreview/VideoLan/DivFix - For incomplete video files
WHAT IS THE BEST DVR CARD?
Is the SciFi Channel worth watching anymore?
What is a good video camera that isn't too expensive?
Copying movies from DVDs to PC formats
youtube?
ac3 codec bulls***
Help needed: Video Compression for MP3 player
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.