FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Theatre Lighting Design vs. Gaming Design

Craeft
Well... here's my dilemma. I currently have a degree in acting, one in dance, and one in theatre lighting design. I enjoy all those, but it seems the pay isn't all there. I do enjoy MMOs and the gaming experience, and very much enjoy the 3D design aspect. I'm trying to find something related to gaming design (even if it's just UI design) where I can still have that creative niche, but also still play in the technical field. Now, I know most places want someone with a degree in design for this type of thing. However, being that I am dirt-poor and can't get back to school to even get my useless A+ cert. that everyone seems to want for networking, does anyone have an idea of a good way to hit up places when a degree is lacking? I have some 3D stills (no animation) that I designed available to be tossed into a portfolio, but there's that resumé experience that is lacking. I have a LOT of actual experience, just nothing "professional" or "resumé worthy". Any help would be great. Thanks. Smile
Dean_The_Great
You have THREE degrees? That's crazy! Did you get them all seperately!? That's a whole lot of school for something you don't really love. And if you do REALLY LOVE acting, dance and theatrical lighting design... then do that! Sure, the money is tough to come by and you have to be relentless, but it's certainly no more challenging than getting into gaming design with no schooling and only amateur experience.

I understand your concern, I am an performer myself and it is occasionally a hard knock life, but with your combined skills there are definitely outlets for yourself. Try getting hired at a summer stock theatre or something. And if you still want to do gaming design, teach yourself all you can by using internet tutorials and such, and then when you have the money from your random lighting/acting jobs, you can get some qualifications rather easily through night school, online school or some other part time schooling.

There's my advice, for whatever it's worth. Let me know how it all pans out!
Craeft
Dean_The_Great wrote:
You have THREE degrees? That's crazy! Did you get them all seperately!? That's a whole lot of school for something you don't really love. And if you do REALLY LOVE acting, dance and theatrical lighting design... then do that! Sure, the money is tough to come by and you have to be relentless, but it's certainly no more challenging than getting into gaming design with no schooling and only amateur experience.

I sort of got them together. My degree in dance is an associates. It was a minor (along with middle eastern gourmet cooking... go figure). Then after I got my acting degree, I went for lighting design. I do love ALL of those things very much. Unfortunately, love doesn't pay the bills. And I enjoy graphics design just as much. I live in Michigan. Finding a job here is like asking the president to be honest. They'll advertise honesty, but when you get behind the scenes, there's not much to it.

Quote:

I understand your concern, I am an performer myself and it is occasionally a hard knock life, but with your combined skills there are definitely outlets for yourself. Try getting hired at a summer stock theatre or something. And if you still want to do gaming design, teach yourself all you can by using internet tutorials and such, and then when you have the money from your random lighting/acting jobs, you can get some qualifications rather easily through night school, online school or some other part time schooling.

Yep. I am thinking what I might do is who-- err... freelance design. The pay is less than substantial, but it's pay and it's resumé work. If I can get 3 shows to design at a time, that will be some kind of income. Hitting the colleges and universities as a "guest designer" where I can. In fact, heading out tomorrow to turn in some of those resumés. My greater passion is acting, but there's not much of that around here. It's all community theatre... *sigh*. There's one equity house, but I refuse to get my equity card until i KNOW it will pay off. Right now, it looks like it would be more hassle than it would be worth and would throw a lot of roadblocks in my way (same reason I am not a U.S.A. member).

Quote:

There's my advice, for whatever it's worth. Let me know how it all pans out!

And thanks. Smile I appreciate it. Hopefully something will come around. The way I see it is with as much as I love gaming and graphics design, I wouldn't mind that at ALL being my 'day job' with the theatre being my 'moonlighting' job.