FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RP Friendly MMOs

Craeft
Hey everyone. Was wondering if anyone knows of any GOOD RP friendly MMOs? I got sick of World of Warcraft not supporting the RP community and, in fact, refusing to enforce their very own RP Server policies, so I canceled my account with them. So... while I sit here waiting for Hero's Journey to come out (which could be quite a wait, in fact), I am looking for something to tie me over... an MMO that supports the RP community, has some pretty strict rules in regards to RP (no out of character, naming policies, etc.), and actually stands by their game, gameplay, and the community on a whole. Anyone have any good ideas/suggestions? I'm pretty much tapped out.
Vladalf
I'm allways searching for mmorpgs with good story and such but the good ones allways have big marketing like WoW had so it's better not to search through free mmorpg lists. I actually like at mmorpg the exploration. Heck i would like to see an mmorpg with extremely big map with many things to explore. If I find anything that matches you'r description I'll post here Smile. If you have found something please give me a reply!
-Vladalf
Craeft
Vladalf wrote:
I'm allways searching for mmorpgs with good story and such but the good ones allways have big marketing like WoW had so it's better not to search through free mmorpg lists. I actually like at mmorpg the exploration. Heck i would like to see an mmorpg with extremely big map with many things to explore. If I find anything that matches you'r description I'll post here Smile. If you have found something please give me a reply!
-Vladalf

Excellent. Thanks. Smile And yes, I will definitely do the same. WoW was pretty RP friendly at first, and it has GREAT lore and an excellent map for discoveries and what have you. But then as RP servers grow, they stop supporting it. So they EVENTUALLY come out with a new RP server, enforce it for a short while, and then let that one go to hell too. I am looking for a game where the devs actually support the RPers for once. I LOVE the PvE content of games just to play, but I would like to find one that supports the more mature environment. Not mature as in 'sexual' or what have you, but as in actual mentality of the player base. If the game advertises RP and even has RP servers, then those servers should be dedicated to that playstyle. It's getting a little frustrating not being able to find anything. Sad

I mentioned Hero's Journey in my first post. If you haven't had the chance yet to check it out, I highly recommend it. They don't say much on their site in terms of RP, but if the test you have to take to be a dev and/or GM is any indication, it will be an RPer's wet dream.
Nutteloos
I found WoW to be not that bad actually - you just have to pick your spots a little more carefully. Some places are literally swarming with all kinds of idiots who don't give anything about RP, I have to agree there. But try to find a less-populated area and have some friends go there too. Or check a desolate area (Silithus, or the Hinterlands - maybe even the Exodar?) in /who and ask a few random people where they are and if they're not too busy leveling. Having a good RP Guild also helps a lot.

Of course you're not looking for this answer, but that's just my 0.02... I don't have much experience in other MMO's.
Craeft
Nutteloos wrote:
I found WoW to be not that bad actually - you just have to pick your spots a little more carefully. Some places are literally swarming with all kinds of idiots who don't give anything about RP, I have to agree there. But try to find a less-populated area and have some friends go there too. Or check a desolate area (Silithus, or the Hinterlands - maybe even the Exodar?) in /who and ask a few random people where they are and if they're not too busy leveling. Having a good RP Guild also helps a lot.

That's exactly the problem. We, as RPers, should not have to seek out remote locations to RP on an RP server. That defeats the entire point of an RP server. I could do that on a Normal server.
We had to make an RP channel and moderate it on a couple servers. Again, defeats the whole purpose of an RP server. A lot of people said, "RP with your guild, that's what I do." Again... defeats the purpose. WoW was not bad for a while, and then became absolutely horrible about it. Then the offensive players started in with things like, "Go ahead and report me. They won't do anything anyway." And, of course, they were right. Just very frustrating to basically have the game you pay for torn away from you and replaced with some asshat's interpretation of it... and you still get charged for it.
Which is another point. Another common arguement was, "I pay my 15 a month so let me play how I want."
"Well.. no problem. Play how you want on a server more suitable for your playstyle. I pay my 15 a month to play on an RP server so I don't have to deal with people like you."
Of course, they can't see it that way.

Quote:

Of course you're not looking for this answer, but that's just my 0.02... I don't have much experience in other MMO's.

2 is 2. Smile