FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

chewing gum

sefilim
Do you like chewing gum ? I think that chewing gum is very useful for us.But some people don't like it.If you ask to them the reason , most of them completely cannot explain the reason.I like it ,because I think that it is very amusing and so useful for human healt.

I think there is no needed to discuss the benefits of chewing gum , in any case the benefits were proved by the scientists ,especially by dentists.If I summarize the benefits of chewing gum here with the titles and my thoughts on it.

-improves concentration (I definetely agree with this one Smile particularly in the classroom,if your teacher got you permission for it Laughing )
-eases tension (I have no experience about it , because I had no high tension so far, Thank God ! Very Happy But I am sure that's right)
-freshens breath (I exactly agree with the benefit ,I think that truth of this benefit is not debated)
-tooth decay prevention (I think this is most important benefit of the chewing gum Wink )

I have mentioned the benefits of the chewing gum above.I think there are a few benefits too.But I have no knowledge without aboves.If you have any information about the benefits of the chewing gum.Please talk about it here Smile

and also If you think that there are harms of chewing gum.Please mention about them too ! I have never heard the harms of chewing gum Sad why not ? it may be !
ocalhoun
sefilim wrote:

-improves concentration (I definetely agree with this one Smile particularly in the classroom,if your teacher got you permission for it Laughing )
-eases tension (I have no experience about it , because I had no high tension so far, Thank God ! Very Happy But I am sure that's right)

Purely psychological gains that, with a trained mind, can be gotten without external aids.
Quote:

and also If you think that there are harms of chewing gum.Please mention about them too ! I have never heard the harms of chewing gum Sad why not ? it may be !

Can make a bad impression (In many situations, it could be taken as a sign that you're not taking the situation (or someone's authority) seriously. Or it could give an impression of insolence.)
Leaves nasty messes (It leaves behind a nasty, chewed wad. Other kinds of mints or breath fresheners do not. Whether you dispose of it properly or not, you've still got to mess with it.)
Makes jaw muscles tired (I don't know about you, but it does that to me.)

I've given it up, myself.
coolclay
I chew gum very rarely. It usually just gets old, and yea my jaw gets tired too. I have nothing against it, an sure maybe there are a few benefits, but calling them real benefits is a stretch I think. If you like chewing come then chew it, if you don't then don't. I never really met anyone that was anti-chewing gum. Obviously there are places where it can be rude, and present a problem. Like giving a speech, singing, or an interview or something.
Afaceinthematrix
I chew gum occasionally. I don't see why people love it so much. It sort of grosses me out, really. I don't mind chewing it, or when other people chew it, but when people put the gum on the ground, wall, underneath chairs, or anywhere besides in the trash can it gets disgusting.
Nameless
I don't especially enjoy chewing gum myself, and I find other people chewing gum quite annoying (especially the sound ...). Additionally, everyone who chews gums then spits it on the streets (/wall/chair/...) should be forced to lick somebody else's up as punishment.
Hammy
airh3ad wrote:
chew gum cause bad breath i dnt like it! more people addicted to chew gum!

What makes u think it gives u bad breath? .. It's minty flavoured, surely that isnt what u think as bad breath? lol

I get some occasionally, duno why. Passes time =]

It's not so bad, tho i dont see why people cant just keep chewing till they find a bin.
Aless
I used to use it during VERRRRRRY boring lectures to help keep me awake. It worked the best at actually preventing me from falling asleep - when nothing else good! This only works with strong, minty gum like Eclipse (my fav), as the sharpness is what wakes your brain up and refocuses concentration.
nivre
i chew bubblegums to pass time away, the feeling of you can't think, bubblegums relieves me. i do usuallu chew it during boring classes ( even it is not allowed in our class, if you get caught you have to swallow it up), sometimes before a basketball/volleyball tournament game.
Arnie
You 'forget' it after a while and then your jaws hurt. Or you eat something and find out you still had that gum stuff in your mouth.
Zombie
I don't chew gum, but I know a few people who chew it often, I think it's an annoying habit, it's kinda like the shaky knee nervous habit, some people get so used to it they don't notice they're doing it
airh3ad
according to my friend dentist chew gum cos badbreath once the saliva factor of something you eat or simply you don't brush you teeth properly ,Bad breath can have a lot of negative effects on your health because it indicates the presence of volatile sulfur compounds in your mouth. Food that collects between the teeth like chew gum, on the tongue and around the gums can rot, leaving an unpleasant odor.
friuser
I have had extensive work done on my teeth. Alot of fillings and also did alot of research on this subject. So you should believe me when I type the following: After eating, chewing gum is one of the best things to do as 30 minutes after eating you have excess acid that eats away at your teeth. Normal gum chewing does not help prevent cavaties UNLESS it contains xylitol (type of sugar known to help) or trident gum which contain Recaldent which helps remineralization of teeth.

So you need to chew the right kind of gum as regular gum WITHOUT recaldent or xylitol does not help your teeth at all.
sefilim
I had hesitated before I create this topic.But as I see,there are different approachs on chewing gum Smile good replies , thanks for your thoughts
Liu
You can lose weight while chewing gum also. Albeit, it's not much calorie burning at once, however when you add it up over time... say yearly, it does have an effect.
tidruG
I'm pretty restless. I don't like sitting still. When I'm sitting in class listening to a lecture, I'm foot-tapping the drums of some of my favourite songs (no, I don't play the drums, and no, my foot-tapping isn't exactly how the original song's drums might have been). So basically, I generally need to "fidget" rather than sit still. And a lot of times, chewing gum helps.

Also, I too have heard about the pH level of your mouth dropping after a meal. I just thought this was a marketting gimmick though. They promote a chewing gum called "Protex" here using that .. er.. "fact".
ThornsOfSorrow
ocalhoun wrote:

My dentist has specifically told me not to chew gum for this reason. My jaw isn't in the best shape as I can't always open it as much as I'd like to (which can make yawning a painful experience). This problem is mostly due to the fact that I grind my teeth in my sleep, but chewing gum for long periods of time makes it noticably worse. In fact, my jaw will sometimes hurt for a while even after I've disposed of my gum (and not just when yawning).

However, chewing gum has become a major habit for me. Besides just liking the taste, another reason for doing this is the one that tidruG has already mentioned: I can't sit still. Chewing gum prevents me from jiggling my legs, tapping my feet, drumming my fingers, or pacing across a room. Also, the mechanical movement required to chew gum is somehow comforting to me.
sefilim
In addition,

When I chew gum for a long time,my jaw even makes a low strange sound.I wonder if I have a prominent bone of my jaw Rolling Eyes I should go to dentist or decrease the time of chewing gum before my jaw problem becomes more bad...

ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

My dentist has specifically told me not to chew gum for this reason. My jaw isn't in the best shape as I can't always open it as much as I'd like to (which can make yawning a painful experience). This problem is mostly due to the fact that I grind my teeth in my sleep, but chewing gum for long periods of time makes it noticably worse. In fact, my jaw will sometimes hurt for a while even after I've disposed of my gum (and not just when yawning).

However, chewing gum has become a major habit for me. Besides just liking the taste, another reason for doing this is the one that tidruG has already mentioned: I can't sit still. Chewing gum prevents me from jiggling my legs, tapping my feet, drumming my fingers, or pacing across a room. Also, the mechanical movement required to chew gum is somehow comforting to me.
_AVG_
I personally don't like chewing gum. I also think that it can be quite irritating when you meet a person, try talking to him and see him chewing gum. I mean, the sound of chewing does get harassing at times and the spit flying all over the place ....

Anyway, it's just my point of view.
tony
I also dont prefer much to chew that gum. because for me i feel that it is not too necessary. simply it will cost from my pocket!!

what is more, the sugar is bad for those teeth and i believe the ones which don't have sugar have other chemicals which are also bad for health. and so, there is no benefit conclusion.

it is nice sometimes if you are flying so you fix your ears frequently. but this is rare case. the others i do concur with as gum can be supermessy!! well sometimes that gum tastes good hahahah!
nilsmo
From, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gum

Quote:
The U.S. Armed Forces have regularly supplied soldiers with chewing gum since World War I because it helped both to improve the soldiers' concentration and to relieve stress. Recent studies show chewing gum can also improve one's mood. As of 2005, the US military is sponsoring development of a chewing gum formulation with an antibacterial agent, which should be able to replace conventional oral hygiene methods in the battlefield.

It seems to be a sort of useful thing, though I don't like to talk to people who are chewing it.
soulery
Chewing gum is awesome. It kinda helps me to not puke on looong car trips.
gr8inferno
Gum chewing helps when you're in a Plane. also freshen your breath. I don;t usually chew gum but occasinnaly buy them.
SpellcasterDX
I occasionally chew gum when I want fresh breath or feel the need for gum. But I don't chew it on a daily basis; unless it's just lying around.
tidruG
Quote:
I mean, the sound of chewing does get harassing at times and the spit flying all over the place
Shocked Spit flying all around?
You do know that there're elegant ways to chew gum, don't you? One of these is to chew with your mouth closed Razz It eliminates those chewing sounds and keeps your spit INSIDE your mouth... tell that to the people around you who chew with their mouths open.

soulery wrote:
Chewing gum is awesome. It kinda helps me to not puke on looong car trips.
Good for bringing that up. That's another benefit I get out of chewing gum.
sefilim
this nasty situation probably occurs from deficiency of education Smile

tidruG wrote:
Quote:
I mean, the sound of chewing does get harassing at times and the spit flying all over the place
Shocked Spit flying all around?
You do know that there're elegant ways to chew gum, don't you? One of these is to chew with your mouth closed Razz It eliminates those chewing sounds and keeps your spit INSIDE your mouth... tell that to the people around you who chew with their mouths open.

rsunderground
lol extreme randomness ... well ... tbh I think chewing gum doesn't help teeth at all really ...
mtorregiani
rsunderground wrote:
lol extreme randomness ... well ... tbh I think chewing gum doesn't help teeth at all really ...

Yeah, I doubt they're good. But there is some gum that is approved by "I can't remember the name" dental association. I don't know if it's legit.
[FuN]goku
ocalhoun wrote:

Hehe, i hate when that happens to me.
blinx
Love gum!

But tend to chew it at home, and after lunch because it freshens my breath. As has already been pointed out, it does leave a bad impression, particularly as I am a student, its not cool to chew gum in class. Most people who do stick it under the desks when they're finished. It's gross...
otiscom
If people dispose of it after use in a clean way I see nothing wrong with it.
janrunejohansen
i bet i chew to much gum. atleast a package a day, is it good for me? no i guess not. but everything to have a good breath
ankitdatashn
I do not eat too much chewing gum. The main reason I want to chew chewing gum is to make the bubble balloons, its been ages since I made the chewing gum balloons, and I found it real hard and difficult to make one. I like the chewing gum but it takes a lot of time to get it drenched, also It leaves my jaws a bit tired so I only chew the gum when someone offers.

Ahh and I would also like to mention that when I was a kid I used to buy the chewing gum specifically because they used to offer tattoos which can be imprinted by keeping the sticker on the skin under water for some seconds, anybody else having this tattoo experiance??
phpc0d3r
I only chew gum if I have bad breath or need to relieve pressure in my ears (when I fly in a plane).
Drinking starbucks is my addiction!

(I know a couple other relaxing thing, but they can't be said Embarassed) lol
tidruG
Quote:
i bet i chew to much gum. atleast a package a day, is it good for me? no i guess not. but everything to have a good breath
Chewing gum is not a solution for bad breath. If you're fighting bad breath, you need to concentrate on what works on a long-term basis. Start by flossing regularly, brush twice a day and use mouthwash.

ankitdatashn wrote:
Ahh and I would also like to mention that when I was a kid I used to buy the chewing gum specifically because they used to offer tattoos which can be imprinted by keeping the sticker on the skin under water for some seconds, anybody else having this tattoo experiance??
I've got a small collection of stickers and tattoos I collected from Boomer, Big Babol, etc etc. I even used a few of them, but mostly, I just put them in a small tin. I don't really know what to do with them now though Razz. I think I'm beyond the age of putting stickers on any of my belongings.
ashish2005
I love chewing gums. They are healthy aren't they? They prevent bad breath, gives us strong jaws, acts as a time pass (atleast for me) etc. But I do not chew that regularly.
waikiki
i love chewing gums...there is one..how was it. AHA "freshbol" its great Applause Dancing Dancing
Indyan
otiscom wrote:
If people dispose of it after use in a clean way I see nothing wrong with it.

Exactly. Stepping on a chewing gum is a harrowing experience! I like chewing gums because it kind of feels nice to have something to chew in your mouth Shocked .
iamarun
I agree with you on the fact that Chewing gum if good for us in terms of having healthy good and strong teeth.

It is pretty much useful in the fact that helps for the bad breath

and also helps us in times of being asleep, let us awake and continue with our work
tidruG
Quote:
and also helps us in times of being asleep, let us awake and continue with our work
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I've heard of many people who fell asleep chewing gum, and then they woke up in the morning with a really really bad jaw ache.
salman_500
If you eat chewing gum and swallow it... it goes into your stomach then makes its way and coils itself around your stomach. It reduces your appetite and you cant eat alot. then u become weak and skinny and you die !!!!!!

lol just kidding :p

Its Yummy !!!! everyone should eat it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
sefilim
at once , I had swallowed the chewing gum.It was strawberry flavored Very Happy I also hadn't endured not to swallow for just a few minutes

salman_500 wrote:
If you eat chewing gum and swallow it... it goes into your stomach then makes its way and coils itself around your stomach. It reduces your appetite and you cant eat alot. then u become weak and skinny and you die !!!!!!

lol just kidding :p

Its Yummy !!!! everyone should eat it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
deanhills
Think chewing gum does not look too cool. I don't think we are always aware of it, but from the outside it can look actually very embarassing. Just look at a cow chewing and that about gives the picture of what it looks like Smile
myleshi
Nothing looks and sounds so bad as someone chewing gum with their mouth open and popping their gum, they look and sound like animals. If your going to chew gum at least chew it so no one else can hear.

BTW: chewing gum is generally considered very unprofessional in most workplaces.
Drawingguy
I love it..I feel like it gets rid of food particles stuck in my teeth, at times, and to further the oral benefits, is a GREAT follow up to a not-so-sweet smelling meal.

Besides, I just love the tastes...
shkhanal
Chewing Gum is not bad at all as far as it does not hurt anybody. But yes we should be very careful about the disposing. I've found many times gums sticked below the chairs (and sometimes above by nasty brains) in cinema halls, schools and buses. That's very bad.
psycosquirrel
I don't mind it. I don't chew it though, since it bothers my girlfriend.

I think she doesn't like it because of the constant chewing... If we chew something, we are supposed to eat it. It does not seem natural to perpetually chew something and then spit it out. Plus, disposal is always an issue.

I prefer hard candies or taffy any day to gum.
tony
I like some chewing gum. But i try to restrain as I know I will have too much sugar if i'm not careful :p

(sweet tooth Wink
janjalani13
yes!!!!!I'm also fun of chewing gum...
Tony,for how long I have a chewing gum in my pocket... for i can't live without it!
and think for too much sugar i have intake...so i search for a solution and i found out
the premium gum,all natural made from herbal extracts, sugar free,long lasting
and great taste...I really enjoy using zensensation gum!!! for it's a hard habit to break http://www.zensensation.com.au
lightningleo
janjalani13 wrote:
yes!!!!!I'm also fun of chewing gum...
Tony,for how long I have a chewing gum in my pocket... for i can't live without it!
and think for too much sugar i have intake...so i search for a solution and i found out
the premium gum,all natural made from herbal extracts, sugar free,long lasting
and great taste...I really enjoy using zensensation gum!!! for it's a hard habit to break http://www.zensensation.com.au

its a hard habit but, still its better than chewing tobacco or smoking.. Doctors even advice their tobacco patients to start chewing gums..
TheStripePrincess
I can't stand chewing gum. I used to chew it all the time when I was at school but then I got braces and couldn't have it and after that I don't like it any more.
Also I absolutely hate it when someone else is chewing it really loudly, it makes me feel sick.