FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Flash Drives





Tony The Tiger
Today I sat at my local internet cafe and saw a guy with three flash drives in his laptop. One looked like a 10GB flash drive. How feasible is it to expand your capacity by buying a bunch of flash drives? Are they durable. Do they tend to crash? What is the average life of one? What is the largest capacity on the market now? I once had a 128 MB when 256 was state of the art and got a 1 GB about a year and a half ago. Now laptops can come with 300-400 GB if not more. I have 240 GB on one purchased last February. I imagine if I had thee 16GB flash drives I might really be able to augment my capacity and rotate several more than three. I want some feedback on such a system as that which I saw today.
RiCtee
Flash drives are for portability, easy to bring around. Also I use them to transfer stuff between computers. I heard from a friend of mine that he saw a 100+ GB flash drive in China (I think it was 160GB). Think about it!! It's like a portable hard drive, but much more smaller.
Diablosblizz
RiCtee wrote:
Flash drives are for portability, easy to bring around. Also I use them to transfer stuff between computers. I heard from a friend of mine that he saw a 100+ GB flash drive in China (I think it was 160GB). Think about it!! It's like a portable hard drive, but much more smaller.


Basically it's a hard drive that you can wear as a necklace so you cannot lose it.
Tony The Tiger
RiCtee wrote:
Flash drives are for portability, easy to bring around. Also I use them to transfer stuff between computers. I heard from a friend of mine that he saw a 100+ GB flash drive in China (I think it was 160GB). Think about it!! It's like a portable hard drive, but much more smaller.

I was only talking about the thumb drive size. I guess a flash drive could be any size, but there is fairly standard range of sizes that are considered thumb drives. In fact, on my old Dell if the the way the USB ports were stacked if your flash drives were too big you could not use adjacent ports.
Tony The Tiger
Diablosblizz wrote:
Basically it's a hard drive that you can wear as a necklace so you cannot lose it.


I was hoping to get opinions on durability.
Arno v. Lumig
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:
Basically it's a hard drive that you can wear as a necklace so you cannot lose it.


I was hoping to get opinions on durability.


The newer flash drives (SSDs) are pretty durable. Sandisk claims that their MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) is 6 times as much then a regular hard disk, but of course that totally depends on the situation.... In an MP3 player I can believe that (hard disks are very vulnerable to shock), but in a regular computer the advantage may be much smaller.
Samsung clains a MTBF of 2 million hours on their flash hard drives.

If you were talking about durability in terms of being able to be dropped or extreme temperature conditions the flash drives are MUCH better then regular hard drives.

I'm hoping to get an SSD of around 16GB very soon Smile
fadirocks
MicroCenter started selling 8GB keychain drives for pretty cheap!!!
Tony The Tiger
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I was hoping to get opinions on durability.


The newer flash drives (SSDs) are pretty durable. Sandisk claims that their MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) is 6 times as much then a regular hard disk, but of course that totally depends on the situation.... In an MP3 player I can believe that (hard disks are very vulnerable to shock), but in a regular computer the advantage may be much smaller.
Samsung clains a MTBF of 2 million hours on their flash hard drives.

If you were talking about durability in terms of being able to be dropped or extreme temperature conditions the flash drives are MUCH better then regular hard drives.

I'm hoping to get an SSD of around 16GB very soon Smile


MTBF is a good measure. Thanks. I hope to move up soon myself. I just gave away my 128MB and have been using a 1GB. Who knows how big they will be by the time I move up in size.
Related topics
Dual Layer DVD's
My computer is getting old...
isaanimports.frihost.net
Survey: Which type of advertisements are you interested in?
ZIP Disks ?
Anybody used an mp3 player as a boot disk_
USB Drives with finger print recognition!
Fake Thumb Drives on EBAY.
Portable Flash Drives
Which do u prefer a Pendrive/a Floppy Disk/a CD-R/a DVD
reg flash memory
Memories Sticks (Flash Drives) what do you use them for?
Flash Drive - Unrecognized Device
Trun Autorun off for Flash Drives
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.