FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

partitioned D:\ drive questions

304esque
So i just got my new laptop which was partitioned to 40gig C:\ and the rest in D:\ (abt 100gig)

I'm wondering, is the partitioned D:\ only good for storing data? I tried installing some games in it (i.e. Sims 2) and they don't seem to want to run after the install.

Is there a way to make it so that you could install programs/games in the said drive?

Otherwise, is it possible to repartition the HDD so that it's about 60 (C:\) : 80 (D:\) without losing the data in the C-drive? This is assuming D:\ is still empty, and C:\ isnt...

thanks guys!

p/s : I'm running on Win XP SP2
KHO
If you make one of the drives blank, you can merge them using Partition Magic.

Also, you should be able to install to the other partition, just make sure your actually running the installer and directing it there as opposed to just copying files.
Kelvin
i always partition all my HDD for ease of backup and storage, even installation of miscellaneous programs and games. I usually leave about 10-15GB of space for C: for critical apps. Means everything else goes into D:. Your Sims2 may require the CD to play else you may want to use the no-CD 'crack'. Otherwise just leave the original CD in ur CD-ROM when playing.
kansloos
Do the hardware specifications of the laptop match up with the requirements of The Sims 2?
ThePolemistis
304esque wrote:
So i just got my new laptop which was partitioned to 40gig C:\ and the rest in D:\ (abt 100gig)

I'm wondering, is the partitioned D:\ only good for storing data? I tried installing some games in it (i.e. Sims 2) and they don't seem to want to run after the install.

Is there a way to make it so that you could install programs/games in the said drive?

Otherwise, is it possible to repartition the HDD so that it's about 60 (C:\) : 80 (D:\) without losing the data in the C-drive? This is assuming D:\ is still empty, and C:\ isnt...

thanks guys!

p/s : I'm running on Win XP SP2

Partitioning a harddrive should make the second hdd just as effective, and act like another physical drive.

so when u installed The Sims 2 on the second harddrive, then it should still work, This is because some files are still copied into the hdd (/partition) of the operating sytem (most likely C:\).

It is possible to resize hdd when data is already on it... for instance u have 100 gig and want to split to 60:40, when 20 gig is on it. partition magic and fips are the best tools I can recommend as these are the two which I have used.