FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have you visited an Emergency Room (ER) for care?

How much would you have to save to go to a hospital other than your usual one for a $200 stitches job?
$0.01 (Stitches would cost $199.99 at other hospital)
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
$1.01 (Stitches would cost $198.99 at other hospital)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$5.01 (Stitches would cost $194.99 at other hospital)
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
$10.01 (Stitches would cost $189.99 at other hospital)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$20.01 (Stitches would cost $179.99 at other hospital)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$50.01 (Stitches would cost $149.99 at other hospital)
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
$100.01 (Stitches would cost $99.99 at other hospital)
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
$200.00 (Stitches would cost nothing at other hospital)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They'd have to pay me to come!
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

lasikprices
Hi--

I am interested in running a short poll as to what would motivate people to choose a different hospital for something like stitches.

A couple of years back I was in a triathlon, but went through a corner too fast and split my elbow open. It just split the skin, but it was pretty bad, so I was driven to a hospital to get some stitches.

Recently, I was wondering why I went to the hospital I went to. Since I had insurance, I just went to the closest big hospital, although there were a couple more in the area.

My question is this: "How much would you have to save to go to a hospital other than your usual one for a $200 stitches job?"

Thanks!

LASIK Prices: http://lasikprices.frihost.net/
lasikprices
So, how important is location to you for your hospital? Do you worry about having to drive an extra 5 minutes to get there for non-urgent situations?
Cddhesh
Here at my place in India there is very funny situation.I see many doctors in my vicinity.Most of them have started their own private clinic.Some have opened their health centers and some have good hospitals too.This is due to result that some few years back everyone went for medical branch since there was huge demand.Now its situation that there are many doctors.People always prefer to go to senior experienced doctors.So new passed out once have opened there small hospitals providing many facilities.If they see any person in accident their ambulance picks him/her quickly and admits in to the hospita.Some hospitals have started offers like free take up and drop back after checkup.So i will be definetly looking for some exciting offer,i m sure that i will heard it soon.
lasikprices
Cddhesh wrote:
Here at my place in India there is very funny situation.I see many doctors in my vicinity.Most of them have started their own private clinic.Some have opened their health centers and some have good hospitals too.This is due to result that some few years back everyone went for medical branch since there was huge demand.Now its situation that there are many doctors.People always prefer to go to senior experienced doctors.So new passed out once have opened there small hospitals providing many facilities.If they see any person in accident their ambulance picks him/her quickly and admits in to the hospita.Some hospitals have started offers like free take up and drop back after checkup.So i will be definetly looking for some exciting offer,i m sure that i will heard it soon.

All I have to say is WOW! Here in the U.S., we're dealing with this whole health care mess because there is absolutely no price transparency. It would seem that if you want to know how much you're going to have to pay for a doctor's visit, you'd better be willing to do a circus act or play phone tag, because it will require a lot of dancing around to find out the prices, typically. Imagine that your doctor was willing to pick you up for a routine visit! I'm not saying that that is necessarily an important service for everybody, but it sure seems to be for voting or renting a car (Enterprise's Pick-You-Up program). That type of innovation could likely become very common if people actually knew how much their doctor visits were going to cost. Currently we pay more because doctors can't compete.

Thanks again for your comment. That is really fascinating to me.
Bikerman
Well, here in the UK emergency treatment is not really an issue. You get yourself (or get taken) to the nearest hospital and get treated. If it's very serious then you will be dealt with quickly, if not then you may have a bit of a wait - normally that is decided by triage.
We do have private health systems but for emergency treatment the National Health Service is what you will use. I have been forced to use it on 3 occasions (occupational hazard of riding a motorbike) and on each occasion I have nothing but good things to say. Sure, you don't get private wards, TV, great meals etc, but the standard of treatment was very good (I'm still here), and it cost nothing (above my normal national insurance contributions).
whitehole
I'd go to the best one and if all things were equal I'd go to the one with the lowest price. That's just economic common sense.
socceraggie
It sounds like you may have ridden in an ambulance and therefore did not have much choice on which hospital you were taken to. In many cases ambulances are operated by a city or municipality and will coordinate with area hospitals to determine where you should be taken. This can be dependant on how serious your injury is and how busy the hospital is. If the closest hospital is very busy, and your injury isn't life threatening, they may take you to a further away hospital to help balance the emergency work load.
crimson_aria
a part of my hand was cut open by a galvanized iron sheet years ago. it was so late at night and my hand was dripping with blood so my father drove me to the nearest hospital. i guess it depends on how bad the situation is.
Dean_The_Great
In Canada you just go to the nearest hospital and go through the triage at emergency. Regardless of what's wrong with you there are no hospitalization costs to you. There are for prescription medicine or other such things (rental costs for crutches are one of them, I think-- never needed any myself). So your stitches question doesn't really apply to my experience.
bigt
lasikprices wrote:
So, how important is location to you for your hospital? Do you worry about having to drive an extra 5 minutes to get there for non-urgent situations?

Location is kind of important to me. In urgent cases, I'll take the least busy or closest hospital. For non-emergencies I'll go to the hospital where a member of the family works; I know I can get great care there.
Crinoid
Nothing, the closest walk-in clinics sew-up the cut on a hand.
As long as insurance covers this, we even don't know the prices.
gandalfthegrey
Have you seen Michael Moore's film Sicko?

The rest of the world feels sorry for you Americans. The plan passed by Obama and the Democrats will only use taxpayers dollars to help private insurance companies get richer. They should have endorsed a fully public system like every other Westernized country has.

Perhaps an alternative might be to allow state by state the decision to have public health care.
Erin
Actually, I only had visited an emergency room once. Of course, we do have different hospitals and emergency rooms for people to choose from. There are emergency hospitals that somehow provide attention to their clients.
ibeadorkable
lasikprices wrote:

I personally have it written on my insurance card to specifically take me to "Name of hospital chain" Hospitals only. Where I live there are two main "chains" of hospitals (Scripps and Sharp) and several private, smaller hospitals. As someone who has spent a lot of time in and out of various hospitals, I have found that certain ones don't provide quality care and I just end up getting admitted somewhere else shortly after because of it. So I am picky.
Of course, in a life or death situation, just get me to the nearest trauma center- which has been done. But then I request a transfer.
standready
Fortunately for me, it's been many years since I went to an Emergency room. If I just needed stitches now, I would probably go to one of the Urgent care facilities that are now available. Leave the Emergency room open for someone with more serious problems plus I would most likely be treated sooner anyway at less cost.
socceraggie
I just renewed my insurance coverage and work and the plans have changed. Given my current plan, I would probably try and go to an emergency clinic rather than a hospital only because the co-pay at a hospital would be $150 and the emergency clinic would only be $75. So I guess that answers your question: $75 would have to be saved Smile
pll
Dean_The_Great wrote:
In Canada you just go to the nearest hospital and go through the triage at emergency. Regardless of what's wrong with you there are no hospitalization costs to you. There are for prescription medicine or other such things (rental costs for crutches are one of them, I think-- never needed any myself). So your stitches question doesn't really apply to my experience.

Yeah but here in the province of Quebec there is much problems with this method ; emergencies rooms are always full people need sometimes to wait something like 5 hours before they get treated.
It's true that they have triage but there are so much issues here in Quebec (I don't know for the rest of the canada).

You break your arm and you need to wait something like 2 hours before seeing a doctor.

Some private clinics are trying to get out but... we already pay this services in our taxes why would we pay again to go in a private clinic ?
(when it's not so urgent people prefer to wait than to pay a 2nd time)