FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

diabetics

Chucky
I am diabetic. What do you suggest i should eat or do to keep fit?
loryl
In this case, you'd probably want to consult your doctor and not trust a bunch of random people over the Internet. You have no idea what we know and chances are, we aren't doctors. Smile

If you want advice, you'll have to specify what type you have. Diabetes is just collection of similar symptoms given one name. The origins of the disease are diverse and can range anywhere from destruction of the cells that produce insulin to insulin resistance.

In general, you'll want to eat healthy, well-balanced meals and keep away from sugar.
Chucky
tHANKS MAN!
AftershockVibe
Quote:
Diabetes is just collection of similar symptoms given one name.

No it isn't. Diabetes has a very specific meaning, although granted there are two different types.
But seriously Chucky, ask your doctor if you have diabetes, not on a forum where you have no idea if people know what they're talking about.
woundedhealer
Have you been diagnosed with diabetes? If you have you should have been given a diet sheet. If you have been diagnose and weren't given a diet sheet you need to see your doctor and ask for one.

loryl, There's type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Type 1 is treated with insulin injections. Type 2 until resently was normally seen in people over the age of 40, but teenagers are now getting it due to obesity. Type 2 is treated either through diet or/and medication.

Diebetics need to have a good diet, the sort we all should have. They should not have surgery foods or drinks unless they go into a hypo.
Bikerman
(I do not normally venture onto this forum but your posting caught my eye).

The advice you have been given from the previous posters is sound - seek medical advice from your doctor not the advice of a self-selecting group on the internet.
If you want to read-up on your condition then I will suggest some sources in which I have confidence.*
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=128
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/diabetes/

*I should add that I am NOT a medical person, simply someone with some scientific knowledge. I have deliberately suggested non-controversial sources which, I believe, represent the accepted medical consensus.
vineeth
I don't know your age, sex etc and no essential laboratory data about your condition is provided. Anyway, its VERY IMPORTANT to consult a doctor and follow strict diet control. Diabetes is a tough disease to treat but an easy one to manage !

You have to consult your doctor and dietitian to decide the best food you can have.. no other way out. Some common belief that you should not take sugar at all etc are blunder.
MrBlueSky
loryl wrote:

In general, you'll want to eat healthy, well-balanced meals and keep away from sugar.

woundedhealer wrote:
They should not have surgery foods or drinks unless they go into a hypo.

A common misconception. There is nothing wrong with sugar for diabetics. Sugar is just one type of carbohydrate, and all carbohydrates lead to an increase in blood sugar levels in a diabetic. Altough it was for a long time taken for granted sugar was bad for diabetics, these days we know this is not the case. Diabetics don't have to avoid sugar, and are even discouraged from using so-called 'sugar-free' products.
woundedhealer
MrBlueSky wrote:
loryl wrote:

woundedhealer wrote:
They should not have surgery foods or drinks unless they go into a hypo.

A common misconception. There is nothing wrong with sugar for diabetics. Sugar is just one type of carbohydrate, and all carbohydrates lead to an increase in blood sugar levels in a diabetic. Altough it was for a long time taken for granted sugar was bad for diabetics, these days we know this is not the case. Diabetics don't have to avoid sugar, and are even discouraged from using so-called 'sugar-free' products.

I should have explained myself better. There are natural foods which contain sugar, and these are fine. Diabetics are discouraged from having chocolate, sweets and sugary drinks, although many do have these. There are plenty of diabetic alternatives which aren't discouraged here. Our local sweetshop carries a large range of sugar-free sweets..

Excluding accidents, diabetes is the biggest cause of lower limb amputation in England and it is the leading cause of blindness in people of working age in the UK. That is scary. The sad thing is this can mostly be avoided through excercise and diet. Although having said that the majority of people in the western world should be excercising more and having a better diet.
Bannik
Chucky wrote:
I am diabetic. What do you suggest i should eat or do to keep fit?

Eat well
Exercise

thats all.
atombomb
I agree with the first post.
Talk to a doctor don't let guys over the internet tell you want to eat it can harm you and even cause death.
(not implying there all wrong)