FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A problem in ubuntu

akshar
I have recently shifted from Debian to Ubuntu 7.10 (Latest). I installed Latest version of netbeans on it and I am facing a very unique problem. Whenever I open netbeans window It appears as a blank window.
I discovered that the issue actually lies in a process called Compiz that is used for decorating windows, displaying title bar etc etc. IF I kill the process the blank window problem dissapears but all other windows loose title bars, you cant switch between windows etc etc.

Can some one tell me what to do?
simplyw00x
Use System/Preferences/Appearance to change desktop effects to none, or run "metacity --replace" in a terminal or the run dialogue (Alt+F2) before running netbeans, then "compiz --replace" afterwards.
qscomputing
If you know that the problem is because you're using Compiz, then the most logical solution to your problem is... to not use Compiz.

Although having Compiz in Ubuntu is great, a lot of users seem to have too-high expectations of it. It's still buggy and unfinished, and causes big problems with quite a few things.
simplyw00x
Quote:
If you know that the problem is because you're using Compiz, then the most logical solution to your problem is... to not use Compiz.

No, it's to file a bug report against both compiz and that application (where possible), and in the mean-time continue to use compiz, turning it off when necessary. Don't be such a luddite. It helps no-one to just revert to metacity every time there's a problem.
LostOverThere
simplyw00x wrote:
Quote:

No, it's to file a bug report against both compiz and that application (where possible), and in the mean-time continue to use compiz, turning it off when necessary. Don't be such a luddite. It helps no-one to just revert to metacity every time there's a problem.

But as QS Computing said, it's not stable yet. I'm sure they've got heaps of bugs to fix in it, filing a bug report is a great thing to do. But it wont magically cure the problem instantly (although it most likely will over time). So turning off Compiz is the solution for the time being.
mehulved
akshar wrote:
I have recently shifted from Debian to Ubuntu 7.10 (Latest). I installed Latest version of netbeans on it and I am facing a very unique problem. Whenever I open netbeans window It appears as a blank window.
I discovered that the issue actually lies in a process called Compiz that is used for decorating windows, displaying title bar etc etc. IF I kill the process the blank window problem dissapears but all other windows loose title bars, you cant switch between windows etc etc.

Can some one tell me what to do?

Did you face this in Debian? Or you didn't try compiz in Debian?
And what graphics card have you got?
akshar
thank you guys for your valuable help. I managed to get netbeans running properly by following the procedure:

1. Open shell run command
export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit
2. from the same shell window run the command to invoke netbeans
netbeans

I have no idea what that export statement means. Can anyone tell me?
simplyw00x
The export statement changes the 'toolkit' that java uses --- i.e. the java widget set. It may also be possible to adjust the widget set from within netbeans itself, or you could use alacarte to change your menu entry for netbeans to:
Code:
 AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit netbeans

(all on one line) instead of just "netbeans".