FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Storyline or graphics? OR gameplay!

Graphic or storyline? which is more important?
Graphics
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Storyline
56%
 56%  [ 18 ]
Well balanced
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 32

misterXY
i have noticed in my other thread ( http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-86749.html )

That alot of people seperate the games by two major things: they plot/storyline or the ooooohh big explosion, also known as graphics.

Well with the new technology of ...blueray.... and other such gaming platforms that many have decided that hey, its either we fill the disc full of graphics and say about 4 or 5 lines and let the players keep looping around... or lets cut back on the graphics a bit and have a story behind this. It's my personal favorite to have the option to skip, but many don't see this as necessary anymore.. which blows my mind why not. the 2 minutes writing a 30kb script? well anyways back to my thoughts. they graphics can be HUGE these days, but it's kinda ... well..lame without a story... and theres those who literately photocopied a Bible [ which we do now have the size for the discs hehe score one for the bad guys ]. Does it anger you to hear " oh it has awesome graphics!" or " man that game was so boring it was like reading a f-ing Bible!"?

Personally, all games are awesome too me, as long as there is some proof that there was some effort put in it but no sell outs either. creativity is becoming hard to find Sad
kicy
This is what is important to me:

1. Gameplay
2. Story (Only for rpgs)
3. Graphics (I don't care if ps3 uses ps1 graphics)
4. Sound (This is just a bonus feature)
misterXY
kicy wrote:
This is what is important to me:

1. Gameplay
2. Story (Only for rpgs)
3. Graphics (I don't care if ps3 uses ps1 graphics)
4. Sound (This is just a bonus feature)

i didnt even think of sound. lol
c'tair
Need I say more than ... "Fallout"? The graphics part of the game is nothing compared to today's stuff like Crysis or anything else, yet, Fallout still has such superb gameplay that it's a sin not to play it. Although, Ill have to say its hard to judge because the gameplay and graphics and story are closely knit, just look at the infamous Fallout I compare alot of games to today. Would it still be so great if it used Crysis-like graphics? Maybe... But it might have had to sacrifice the pure awsomeness in favor of above mentioned graphics.
carlokes
Hi there,

Just as i posted on the other thread created by the op, I consider that it is very important for a game to have a very good story behind it, one that not only is interesting but thats also makes the player want to discover more of it, much like an interesting book.
Nowadays we are so technologically developed that making "awesome" graphic isn't such a hard task anymore but making games worth playing for its story is.
Remember Final Fantasy 7 ? probably the best RPG ever created. good graphics but....an AWESOME story that makes people play it over and over even on the days that go by. Another example is Diablo 2. I played this game for over 8 years. How come? Fantastic lore combined with a good story and a very good playability Smile

Stay Cool!
misterXY
carlokes wrote:
Hi there,

Just as i posted on the other thread created by the op, I consider that it is very important for a game to have a very good story behind it, one that not only is interesting but thats also makes the player want to discover more of it, much like an interesting book.
Nowadays we are so technologically developed that making "awesome" graphic isn't such a hard task anymore but making games worth playing for its story is.
Remember Final Fantasy 7 ? probably the best RPG ever created. good graphics but....an AWESOME story that makes people play it over and over even on the days that go by. Another example is Diablo 2. I played this game for over 8 years. How come? Fantastic lore combined with a good story and a very good playability Smile

Stay Cool!

c'tair wrote:
Need I say more than ... "Fallout"? The graphics part of the game is nothing compared to today's stuff like Crysis or anything else, yet, Fallout still has such superb gameplay that it's a sin not to play it. Although, Ill have to say its hard to judge because the gameplay and graphics and story are closely knit, just look at the infamous Fallout I compare alot of games to today. Would it still be so great if it used Crysis-like graphics? Maybe... But it might have had to sacrifice the pure awsomeness in favor of above mentioned graphics.

so your both saying that storylines are better?
ashish2005
These days I like those games where you carry a gun and then kill kill kill (blow peoples head off, blood everywhere and those stuffs). So for these types of games for me graphics should be good, sounds should be awesome and then there should be some kind of story like in max payne.
Yjaxygames
Everyone want a game that does best at all fronts. Graphics and storyline must go hand in hand, I won't buy a game that only has 1 of those. And it also depends on the genre.
Xzoz
I would have to say storyline out of those options.
Mainly because a game without storyline becomes like tetris, it's the same over and over again, you want a game to be like a book, as you progress you feel like you progress, not just "Ooooh yeah new points score!" but more like "I'm finally getting closer to finding my dead uncles killer! Yay!".
But then again even without the best storyline nor the best graphics a game can be rather good.
That's where gameplay comes in, the system of the game, not just fancy graphics and a good storyline, you need to understand how things work, if all you see if percentages that aren't fixed to any source you can easily understand that wouldn't be a fun game, if you instead see clear cut what all your bonuses gives and such it'd be much easyer to understand and appreciate the gameplay on such a level.
Now this mostly goes for RPG's but also for RTS's and FPS's because if counterstrike didn't have an understandable interface, good keymapping (not everyone can keymap when they pick up their first game) and good weapon interface and such I hardly think it would have become the hit it did come to be. As for RTS's you want to know what all those defense values and such do, not just see "ooh this one has got 3 more defense thus it is better" more like, "Nice, this type of armor has 3 more defense then it can absorb another 15 points of damage", also the game has to have dedicated developers, a team that just makes a game as a job to make money doesn't make half a good a game as a group of developers that know eachother and love making the game for the sake of making the game, and then the money is just an added bonus.

In the end, I'll have to rank things as to:
1, Non-glitchy
2, Storyline
3, Gameplay
4, Perhaps a community or similar
5, Graphics
6, Sound
misterXY
Xzoz wrote:
I would have to say storyline out of those options.
Mainly because a game without storyline becomes like tetris, it's the same over and over again, you want a game to be like a book, as you progress you feel like you progress, not just "Ooooh yeah new points score!" but more like "I'm finally getting closer to finding my dead uncles killer! Yay!".
But then again even without the best storyline nor the best graphics a game can be rather good.
That's where gameplay comes in, the system of the game, not just fancy graphics and a good storyline, you need to understand how things work, if all you see if percentages that aren't fixed to any source you can easily understand that wouldn't be a fun game, if you instead see clear cut what all your bonuses gives and such it'd be much easyer to understand and appreciate the gameplay on such a level.
Now this mostly goes for RPG's but also for RTS's and FPS's because if counterstrike didn't have an understandable interface, good keymapping (not everyone can keymap when they pick up their first game) and good weapon interface and such I hardly think it would have become the hit it did come to be. As for RTS's you want to know what all those defense values and such do, not just see "ooh this one has got 3 more defense thus it is better" more like, "Nice, this type of armor has 3 more defense then it can absorb another 15 points of damage", also the game has to have dedicated developers, a team that just makes a game as a job to make money doesn't make half a good a game as a group of developers that know eachother and love making the game for the sake of making the game, and then the money is just an added bonus.

In the end, I'll have to rank things as to:
1, Non-glitchy
2, Storyline
3, Gameplay
4, Perhaps a community or similar
5, Graphics
6, Sound

well put. look at they keymap on any GTA game, within the first two minutes its love.
Blu_Spykz
Storyline counts for a lot. If you CAN'T get into a game then there is no point in appreciating the stunning graphics.

A game has to be able to grip you and immerse you in its' storyline. If it can't do that, it WONT sell.

Graphics aren't VERY important but it would be nice for a well-written, well scripted game to have stunning visuals, but that's a bonus.
Nutteloos
I definitely want a game to either have a very well thought-out gameplay, or a good storyline. I honestly don't care about graphics in the slightest. Sound is more of an issue, but I might just as well turn it off if it bothers me, and run winamp in the background.

If a game lacks a decent storyline, I get bored with it rather sooner than later. Exception is an RTS - if the gameplay is interesting enough to keep me busy, that's okay too.
amysanders
i think a well balanced game would be something like chronicls of riddick butchers bay, i thought the graphics where pretty sweet there better than soemthing like doom 3 plus if you have the pc version its much more better than the xbox version with more storyline and much better graphics, i think a story game such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R concentrated more on their story than grphics although the graphics are good the game graphics where a little late. and a game that has a crappy story but good graphics would be hmm... i want to say half life episodes, but im a really big fan but then iv palyed many games tht dont have as much as a good next generation graphics but have great stories. so yea half life episode 1 especially had better graphics than storyline.
HoboJoeTLM
MY order of preference:
1.) Fun to play
2.) Storyline
3.) Graphics

One of the best examples of a game the exemplifies why a storyline can sell a game is FF7. Event o this day people play that game and a couple years ago Square began to use FF7's story to try and make even more money.
enygmasoft
I personally feel the story is far more important than graphics, which why I passed Final Fantasy 1.
misterXY
i'm scared we'll loose the storyline too graphics on these new gens Shocked
correct me if im wrong, isn't it like 27.8 gigs on a blueray? alot of room for graphics... i can't even think of even buying a DS Lite w/o the guilt im contributing into a new trend of games. no one really comes out w/ original ideas anymore, like mario & lugi was kickass at its time, but sometimes its good to let them either go away for awhile or retire and make a collection game later on. rushing games usually has alot of storyline & no graphics, or vice versa. like M&L was a great idea, plumbers!? even had pipelines.. was cool lol. and trippy. but now it's lost its touch. Halo has its touch on the whole planet thing but isn't that also ripped off another game too?,,,and that game ripped off another... gaming isn't the same anymore Sad
coyote
Neither first.
1.Gameplay
2.Sound
3.Graphics
4.Story
5.No Bugs (Halo 2 was my favorite game, but it had soooooo many bugs)
Vladalf
The most important thing for me at video games is music. An epic soundtrack performed by a good orchestra adds allot of feeling and atmosphere to a game. Take for example World of Warcraft, if it didn't have such powerful music the atmosphere wouldn't be the same.
misterXY
Vladalf wrote:
The most important thing for me at video games is music. An epic soundtrack performed by a good orchestra adds allot of feeling and atmosphere to a game. Take for example World of Warcraft, if it didn't have such powerful music the atmosphere wouldn't be the same.

Civilization IV has some nice music. hell Risk 2, crappy game indeed, AMAZING music. makes you want to take over the world... maybe i have Twisted Evil lol
Sparda
If we are talking about RPGs then yes, the storyline would be very important for most gamers. I know storyline is the number 1 on my list of important things and this would be the same for a lot of my friends. Now, with today's intelligence with game development I do expect the graphics and other features like sound to be up to date. I won't just buy an old 2-D game like FF I because the storyline is awesome. Games that are not RPGs.. I look at the quality of the game. Some things I ask first:

-Will the gameplay be great?
-Are the sound/graphics good?
-Is this game getting good reviews?
wombatrpgs
I'd say this whole graphics/storyline thing mixed up. You're looking for gameplay/storyline. The problem is, you can increase both of these quantities (the first set) without decreasing the others. You can have very good graphics as well as a very good plot. Which is more important isn't really logical since they can't be measured together, With the second set, there are tradeoffs.

On one side, we have the gameplay ideal: There is an unlimited supply of very fun and addicting gameplay along with new elements introduced every so often, so there's never a dull moment. Frequent use of the gameplay style in different creative situations leads to an unending supply of replay time. On the other hand, the plot side, we have basically a novel. The plot is time-conscious, moves along with rhythm, and has a definite conclusion that leaves the player, satisfied. There are definite contrasts between the two.

People want a never-ending videogame, as far as gameplay goes. This can be done by adding level-dependant challenges, infinite areas, really complex puzzles, or the standard hoardes of encounters. Plot is much different, in the respect that you need a definite conclusion. You can't suspend time to go defeat a swarm of monsters. The game has to end sometime!

The gameplay demands areas where challenges actually exist. That means the plot can't be all in one happy-go-lucky town, even if that's where all the characters interact the best. Something needs to happen to introduce the gameplay and frequently use it.
misterXY
i agree w/ wombat. Laughing
GeoS
Please, sound is hell of alot more important than you probably think it is; its just one of the aspects thats the most taken for granted. If you had no sound, or mono, unrelative, irratating beeping, I think it would make the entire experience quite a wasted opportunity.

On the other hand, take away any of the other elements (excluding gameplay, because, well, gameplay is the play of the game, and thats, well, everything) you can still play without your head exploding.

Think about how music is typically so subtle in film. We don't know its there until its not.

Also, the use of Blu-Ray in games is overrated nonsense that Sony decided to blow millions on when it was completly unnecessery. It adds virtually NOTHING that an extra DVD or two wouldn't, a misconception Sony doesn't paticularly mind. It allows for uncompression, but thats about it. You won't notice, and the frame rate will likely pay. The technology will fall on its arse after broadband speeds catch up with this supposedly newfound HD abomination. Lets not mention PC has been technically 'HD' for more than a decade. Online multiplayer? Downloadable content? I've seen that for most of my life too.
misterXY
GeoS wrote:

Also, the use of Blu-Ray in games is overrated nonsense that Sony decided to blow millions on when it was completly unnecessery. It adds virtually NOTHING that an extra DVD or two wouldn't, a misconception Sony doesn't paticularly mind. It allows for uncompression, but thats about it. You won't notice, and the frame rate will likely pay. The technology will fall on its arse after broadband speeds catch up with this supposedly newfound HD abomination. Lets not mention PC has been technically 'HD' for more than a decade. Online multiplayer? Downloadable content? I've seen that for most of my life too.

HD DVD and DVD kicks bluerays ass, remember the DRM on cds? BY SONY!
Evil or Very Mad
Vladalf
misterXY wrote:
Vladalf wrote:

Civilization IV has some nice music. hell Risk 2, crappy game indeed, AMAZING music. makes you want to take over the world... maybe i have Twisted Evil lol

When a game has good music you get to feel you are the character and it makes a cool atmosphere.
misterXY
Vladalf wrote:
misterXY wrote:
Vladalf wrote:

When a game has good music you get to feel you are the character and it makes a cool atmosphere.

or could be like u feel like ur playing a CD instead
hiquality
Well... my personal opiniojn is that there shouldn't be any all-graphics no-plot or the other way around.... these features... graphics , storyline , gameplay should be joined together in a harmonious way Smile or else...

and by the way
Vladalf wrote:

Man... u should play ping-pong with soundtrack (maybe epic... depends on your preferences) and you won't play it day after day like World of Warcraft. It has a big storyline... fantasy graphics... and you like the game because you like the music ...not true...
misterXY
hiquality wrote:
Well... my personal opiniojn is that there shouldn't be any all-graphics no-plot or the other way around.... these features... graphics , storyline , gameplay should be joined together in a harmonious way Smile or else...

and by the way
Vladalf wrote:

Man... u should play ping-pong with soundtrack (maybe epic... depends on your preferences) and you won't play it day after day like World of Warcraft. It has a big storyline... fantasy graphics... and you like the game because you like the music ...not true...

Pong just kicked my points right out the windows. damn i love pong.
McDucque
It's completely down to gameplay for me. I'll play games with crappy to zero story, and ugly graphics, provided that they play well and I'm having at least a little fun playing.

No anger = a fun time = good games.
misterXY
McDucque wrote:
It's completely down to gameplay for me. I'll play games with crappy to zero story, and ugly graphics, provided that they play well and I'm having at least a little fun playing.

No anger = a fun time = good games.

take it u hate those timed games too?
ForceRun
Take Call Of Duty 4 vs Crysis, Crysis has great graphics and even some good game play, but COD4 is still being play today while Crysis is almost dead by now. Because COD4 has sweet gameplay and the best multiplayer out there.
catscratches
Even if we may not think much about the sound, it is VERY important for a game. The sound is what gives it most of its feeling. All the elements are important and should be well-balanced.
misterXY
catscratches wrote:
Even if we may not think much about the sound, it is VERY important for a game. The sound is what gives it most of its feeling. All the elements are important and should be well-balanced.

reminds me of the epidsode of the simpsons were millhouse has the new blood gore game and all he did was enter the name in & all and i'd say about a week later he didn't care for it? sound is awsome but also lame w/o gameplay. so sound isnt the best, 98% of the time on my xbox if i get the chance i switch it to my music or on pc i disable the sound.
catscratches
misterXY wrote:
catscratches wrote:

img
reminds me of the epidsode of the simpsons were millhouse has the new blood gore game and all he did was enter the name in & all and i'd say about a week later he didn't care for it? sound is awsome but also lame w/o gameplay. so sound isnt the best, 98% of the time on my xbox if i get the chance i switch it to my music or on pc i disable the sound.
Which proves that the sound wasn't good in the game...

I also use to turn off the sound, but that's just because I mostly play games when I test other (read n00bs) games on Game Developing formums (= bad-quality mainstream music not fitting into the game).

For the good games (horror games) sound is absolutely needed to give the feeling. When developing my games, the all seem to have no feeling at all 'til I add sound.
misterXY
catscratches wrote:
misterXY wrote:
catscratches wrote:

img
Which proves that the sound wasn't good in the game...

I also use to turn off the sound, but that's just because I mostly play games when I test other (read n00bs) games on Game Developing formums (= bad-quality mainstream music not fitting into the game).

For the good games (horror games) sound is absolutely needed to give the feeling. When developing my games, the all seem to have no feeling at all 'til I add sound.

dont forget war games too! but games like ViceCity, wasn't needed even though thats what mainly captured its fame
wombatrpgs
catscratches wrote:

Agree with that absolutely. When adding music, it is extremely important not to add music that people already like but music that perfectly suits the atmosphere. Especially in horror games and platformers, the feel is really defined by the sound effects against the music. If anyone remembers Ristar, I felt that one really exemplified what was needed by sound. Nothing obnoxious or repetitive, no voiceovers, only the weird Ristar-voice that was rare and played nicely against the BGM. Stage clear screen especially. And for suspense, no music is the most powerful music of all... That's truly sound's place to shine.

However, in comparison to gameplay, this fades completely. One could play a game without music but not music without a game. Perhaps if you define "atmosphere" in general, as being a combination of not graphical quality (pixel count etc) but graphical flow combined with music, sound, and general area setup, perhaps this will overcome an overused gameplay?
Whong
I'd say that the game play is the first major thing that makes a game good. Then comes the story, of course depends on the game, eg. Mario Galaxy was great though the story wasn't anything special. Then comes the fact of how deep the game is, is there a lot of bonus stuff hidden somewhere and so on.
Then come the graphichs and sounds and so on.

This is my opinion, but of course it depends a lot on what one values. Wink
yourtrips
I play for the game . ( Storyline) not really for the graphics. But i like good graphics like lotr , ... But i hate the graphics exteme like archlord , wow , ... it's not fun. But a good story make the game Wink
Pikokola
I think it should be well balanced.. At least not too much off

I think I will not plays a game which superb story line, but uses graphic like pacman _

And a superb graphic without story line are just useless, it's better watching some movies out there.

and about music, If it's crap, I'll silent it and plays some mp3s instead ^^

addition point for online games, It must had a nice community in it, an Online games without a community is a useless junk.
RidersDX
I like it well balanced the best.