FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problems with black screen at bootup

Jakob [JaWGames]
This is the problem:
Earlier the computer worked just fine, hardly no problems at all. Then the power went out here for a couple of hours. When the power came back this computer worked just fine but when you try to boot the other computer the screen is black even if you can hear the computer work and you can also eject the CD inserter (or what it's called?).

The powerlamp at the screen lights yellow and if you try to turn in off and on if first turns green, then a message pops up at the screen "going to sleep", then disappears and the screen looks like before while the lamp yet again turns yellow.

When you start the computer the green lamp is not turned on even though the yellow one is lit for a while before it goes black that one too. To turn of the computer you have to put in the powerbutton for five seconds.

We are using a HP computer with Windows XP.

Help would be really appreciated, it is a very annoying problem. Hm, I will even donate a pair of hundred of those quite useless Frih$ to anyone who can help me as a token of my gratitude Smile
Diablosblizz
I have a few ideas:

1. Hook up a new monitor to the computer, if it works then your monitor is busted.
2. Try to login with your keyboard. Leave the computer for about 5 - 10 minutes so you know for sure that it's logged in then press enter and enter in your password.

Also, is the "going to sleep" message a Windows message? Or is it your monitor?
Jakob [JaWGames]
Diablosblizz wrote:
I have a few ideas:

1. Hook up a new monitor to the computer, if it works then your monitor is busted.
2. Try to login with your keyboard. Leave the computer for about 5 - 10 minutes so you know for sure that it's logged in then press enter and enter in your password.

Also, is the "going to sleep" message a Windows message? Or is it your monitor?

We had a problem almost exactly like this earlier and the problem was not with the monitor so I'm quite convinced that the problem not lies there.
I tried that with the keyboard, with no result, the computer shows no sign of being alive after the yellow lamp stopped flashing except for that you can hear that it is turned on and can hear when you turn it off.

The "going to sleep" message is in my monitor

Latest time we had this problem I somehow managed to fix it through using F8 at boot and then just chosing to start it as usual. After that it worked, I have no idea why though.

Thanks for responding!
Jaspa
It sounds like your monitor is not getting a signal from the graphics card to me. I have had this problem a few times over the years.

Firstly, just to check the connection, you could try dissconnecting the lead to your graphics card and reconnecting it again. when you do this make sure everything is turned off, then disconnect the lead and reconnect it 2 or 3 times. That should clean the pins in the plug and ensure a good connection.

Second, If you have 2 computers there, you could try connecting the problem monitor to the other computer. This would test to make sure the monitor is ok.

If it works ok on the other machine, it might mean you need a new gaphics card. But before you go and get one, try removing the graphics card from the mainboard and re-inserting it. Again, do that a couple of times to make sure of good contact.

Ah... I guess, for that last one, I should say 'if your computer has a separtate graphics card'. Sometimes they are built in to the mainboard in which case, obviously you can't remove it.

Hope this helps, good luck Smile