FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

can't search file or folder in my computer

sevenlamp
hi all,

let me ask my problem.

i can't find (search) any file or order in my computer. there is search button on my toolbar but nothing affect when i click it. and also not working for Ctrl+F in window explorer.

i use window XP SP-2.

please kindly help me out.

thanks,
sm
CrimsonStrange
Well, if you've got TweakUI installed, it may be something as simple as a check box...

Open TweakUI, go to the Desktop tab, and check the box that says "Show Search Results".

Arrow Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 274847

If you follow the instructions in that article, everything should return to normal.

If you don't have TweakUI, try downloading & installing it, then doing what the above article says.

Direct link to download TweakUI for XP (147 kb)

Try the TweakUI thing first, but another possibility you may want to check is the Windows registry. (if you feel comfortable to do so, that is - if you're afraid of the registry, then the best idea is to leave it alone!)

Look for this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}

If it's not there and you feel comfortable enough to add it, then do so.

If you wanna learn about editing/tweaking the Windows registry, there are TONS of tutorials about it on the 'net.

The single most important thing you'll ever know about the Windows registry is... BACK IT UP BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES TO IT!

Best of luck, sevenlamp! Smile
blueray
But I have not found the show search result option on the tweakUI for windows xp.
Could you point out where it is ?

Thanks
ThePolemistis
sevenlamp wrote:
hi all,

let me ask my problem.

i can't find (search) any file or order in my computer. there is search button on my toolbar but nothing affect when i click it. and also not working for Ctrl+F in window explorer.

i use window XP SP-2.

please kindly help me out.

thanks,
sm

my guess is taht u have a corrupte registry.. Use a registry cleaner program to fix it.
ThePolemistis
ThePolemistis wrote:

my guess is taht u have a corrupte registry.. Use a registry cleaner program to fix it.

forgive the typos,, im too lazy to fix. :p