FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

.co.nr site with URL cloaking (url masking)...

inphurno
my question is how bad is URL cloaking for search engine placement? we have a non-profit organization and our website is an important education tool that needs to have good search engine placement if we are to succeed in our goals to help fight climate change.

at the same time we have budget problems (like many orgs) so we were hoping that we could stick with our free domain but if this really affects our placement we will have to try to resolve this. so experts let me know what you think!

also feel free to make any other suggestions that will help improve our ranking

English: http://whatsyourimpact.co.nr/
Francais: http://votreimpact.co.nr/
georgekalathil
never go for these black hat SEO techniques such as cloaking and other stuff. It will always be harmful for your site. You might be banned from the major search engines if they find it out. So always go for the white hat SEO techniques.
inphurno
georgekalathil wrote:
never go for these black hat SEO techniques such as cloaking and other stuff. It will always be harmful for your site. You might be banned from the major search engines if they find it out. So always go for the white hat SEO techniques.

thanks for your response georgekalathil. but to answer your post, its not a technique or some trick i'm trying to use i just wanted a domain that was free. i dont know what you mean by black hat but i'm not trying to scam anything. the domain and the site are for our organization. the cloaking is supposed to be a "feature" of the .co.nr domains, why is this a black hat SEO technique?
rsunderground
Having a .co.cr domain is not the way to go! Get a .co.cc ... you can have it put on your dns and also it's completely free you don't even have to link back to them!
inphurno
rsunderground wrote:
Having a .co.cr domain is not the way to go! Get a .co.cc ... you can have it put on your dns and also it's completely free you don't even have to link back to them!

thanks for your advice, i have signed up for the .co.cc domain but i dont understand what i have to do. there are two options: Manage DNS and URL Forwarding Records. i have selected URL Forwarding Records but you have 2 options in this: Path forwarding and URL hiding. i have selected URL hiding but i dont know whas the difference between the two. when you say that i can put it on my dns what do you mean because i have my hosting here at frihost so i dont know how this can be done.
inphurno
ok so i searched a bit on the site and the web to try stuff myself. here is what i have done, in theory this should be the right thing:

1) in my .co.cc account under my domains -> edit -> Manage DNS i have put ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net

2) i then went to http://cp.frih.net and logged into Direct Admin -> Domain Setup -> Add Another Domain there i entered whatsyourimpact.co.cc

the thing is now via ftp i can access the domain and i see files in the public_html but when i go to http://whatsyourimpact.co.cc/ i get either "Welcome to the home of whatsyourimpact.co.cc
To change this page, upload your website into the public_html directory" from Direct Admin or

whatsyourimpact.co.cc.
Name server changes may take up to 48 hours to update throughout the Internet. from co.cc

do i just have to wait or is there something i need to do?
manav
cloaking can get u blacklisted from search engines mind u.....