FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Perforated eardrum

redace
Last week I perforated my eardrum during cleaning of my ears and there is hole in posterior quandrant. Doctor give me a patch over it and say it can take several months to heal. Believe it or not I was happy. It was horrible at the very first moment, because I fixed in my mind that once its gone its gone and you end up with severe hearing loss. Fortunately I made no harm to the ossicles (small bones in the ear) so there is a big chance I will hear normally in the future.

Do any of you here have your eardrum perforated? How long did it take to heal and how it affected your everyday life?

P.S. Never give to your ear smaller objects than your elbow - thats what my doctor said. Keep it in your mind!!!
benjmd
Children with recurrent ear infections leading to chronic fluid accumulation in the middle ear often have to have tubes put in through their eardrums to drain the fluid called tympanostomy tubes. The tubes obviously create defects in the eardrum that heal over after they are removed. So no worries, you should definitely expect to heal just as your doctor said.
SonLight
There's more information about punctured eardrums at:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/perforated_eardrum/article_em.htm

The tympanic membrane (it's medical name) protects the middle ear, so if it's perforated you might want to take extra precautions to avoid getting dirt or infection in it. Apparently hearing loss does not always occur when the membrane is punctured.

I hope this is helpful to let you know a little more about the condition. However, your doctor's recommendations are the most important thing, since he or she has a chance to observe and discuss it with you as needed.
redace
So after three weeks my eardrum is completely healed and my hearing loss is gone. I wouldn't even dream that it could heal so quickly. I had an extensive perforation in back quandrants, but the patch worked perfectly. Human body is really amazing!!!
nivre
i don't know if my eardrum is perforated but by hearing is bad. I have been consulting this to my doctor but he said its not. He gives me eardrops that is costly. I have been using it for a while but my hearing is still not that clear. Maybe its not the same case as yours. but mostly, healong takes time and you can hear normally if the procedure was done correctly.
redace
nivre wrote:
i don't know if my eardrum is perforated but by hearing is bad. I have been consulting this to my doctor but he said its not. He gives me eardrops that is costly. I have been using it for a while but my hearing is still not that clear. Maybe its not the same case as yours. but mostly, healong takes time and you can hear normally if the procedure was done correctly.

I do not know what is causing your problem, but I read similar symptoms - no perforation in the eardrum, no blockage of the outer canal, no problem in the inner ear and no conductive problem but still people were having feeling that they do not hear perfectly. But I do not know the answer for your problem, sorry.
Wolf1918
Hello,

As a child I got water in my left ear that didn't drain back out, it got infected and perforated the eardrum. I was very sick from the infection. But my doctor medicated my ear, packed it, gave me antibotics and sent me home. It took about two months before he would take the packing out, but my eardrum healed.

Many people don't believe that's possible, but it is.

I'm almost 54 now and I have excellent hearing from my right ear and only a very slight hearing loss from my left ear. Not enough to bother me though. It is so slight that I didn't even notice it until I had a hearing test at the clinic and they told me the results.

You'll probably be fine, as long as your doctor is a good one.

Chad
reneery
iam going thru this now,had it for 2 weeks. it stopped draining a week ago & iam on antibiotics...the pain is horrid !! i get some comfort from the heating pad...always wear cotton while healing & do not put drops in..NOTHING goes inside the ear!!

i went for a breathing test at pulmanary doctors & breathing thru the tubes punctured my eardrum Sad never again will i do that test! i have copd & its hard enough breathing let alone blowing very very hard thru tubes!

i know it takes a lone time to heal,be good to ur ears,i threw out cotton swabs they are good to clean outside of ears but we all get tempted to just go in a little more...lol & u just never know wat ur going to hit or push further in the canal so i just use wash rags & i been using ear plugs when i shower & always when ur swimming.

~to all: good health~