FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

500th post- Does Senior Frihost mean anything?

bogger
I've just gotten my 500th post! w00t

Unfortunately, there's nowhere I can post where spam is allowed but points are disabled, so I have to post this here, but I also have to make a point out of this!

Is the idea of senior frihosters being based upon the amount of posts made a bad idea?
I've always considered it more of a thing of the amount of time you've been registered on the forum, I joined here in 2005, and am one of only 8 people with active sites on the www.frihost.net website (correct me here if I'm wrong, bondings). And yet I only got the "senior frihoster" title today while other people who joined in 2007 even already have it.

I consider myself a proper member of this forum, diligently venting my spleen on various topics in my own little used board, Economics and Marketing, reporting stupid posts and generally helping around in an admittedly back-seat moderation, not realyl a good thing kind of way. The board is little troubled by moderators, who are too busy wit the busier forums to pop in where they're not urgently required. So it shocks me whenever I leave my little cave on Mars to see all these new moderators!

Whatever happened to noob4life, I say? I see matthias is still around, but that's about it, it makes me feel like this "senior frihoster" title is well placed. Not so much for some of the new-seniors, who don't even know who noob4life, and his shocking MSpaint signatures, is!
*sighs*
MrBlueSky
bogger wrote:
... while other people who joined in 2007 even already have it.

Hello Very Happy

Congratulations Wink

But kidding aside: The title "Senior" indeed is a little misleading. It suggests to say something about someones "frihost age", or something like that, while it actually only says something about postcount. But it shouldn't make much difference. As long as posts are judged on content and value, and not on the title of the poster, these titles will stay what they are: just a nice gimmick, nothing more.

And uhh, noob4who? (Just kidding Wink )
James007
Are you happy about your 500th post, or is this just a post criticising us? If you are so "all knowing" you should also know what happened to N4L because now is a little late, don't you think so either?

You are just a slow poster (compared to the average frihoster), which is not a problem of course, as long as you keep a positive point count. As a real die heart frihoster, you should know that we value people upon their way of posting. We don't actually look at the status picture.
rvec
*Rvec thought he also was a member for enough time to call him truly senior*

8 active sites on frihost.net?
If you mean on server 1 which is VPS 1 now, try this search. I am sure there are some more active sites there as new accounts are also placed on that server again.

We hope to keep you on the forums for another 500 posts. Especially in the "not so active" forums.
Srs2388
i kind of wondered that myself when i hit the 500 post mark... good to know.
i was like maybe i have been here awhile and the post thing is a coincidence
ocalhoun
bogger wrote:

Is the idea of senior frihosters being based upon the amount of posts made a bad idea?
I've always considered it more of a thing of the amount of time you've been registered on the forum, I joined here in 2005, and am one of only 8 people with active sites on the www.frihost.net website (correct me here if I'm wrong, bondings). And yet I only got the "senior frihoster" title today while other people who joined in 2007 even already have it.

I would not say it is a bad idea. We wouldn't want somebody who registered and made 3 posts back in '05 to have such a lofty rank, eh?
gr8inferno
Wow senior Host! I can only dream. Congrats!
Arnie
To me Senior Frihoster is the nicest rank out there. After that it gets "Addicted Frihoster" and "Frihost Freak", both kind of awkward. Think I wish I was Senior again.

In case you're interested to see how many users joined in 2005... the hidden memberlist
James007
I could make you a senior again if you want to Very Happy
Arnie
That would be totally awesome! Dancing
James007
That would require deleting 765 posts, but whatever... here we go. Twisted Evil
Vrythramax
James007 wrote:
That would require deleting 765 posts, but whatever... here we go. Twisted Evil

I know your not that mean James.

This post explains the ranking system http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-99963.html#99963, and although it may not seem fair to some the system is based upon posts made, not time as a member. If you think about it it is much more fair to active members this way. A user can leave for months and never make a post....why should they gain ANY recognition for the time they were gone as opposed to a user who makes regular posts and contributes to the community.

Edited for content by the author
Yjaxygames
It would take too much time for the moderators to adjust your rank when members are behaving good...and just don't think ranks are worth so much...Just think of what more important in your life than complaining about being only a senior frihoster.
unknownc1c
if there are only 8 active people, i'd have to say i'm a little surprised. I know my site isn't that active, but you'd think more would be. Mine was going to be used for some stuff, but i think i might have to re-make it cause it's original purpose isn't going so well >.< haha.

as for the post, it seems like 500 posts means your either very active on here, or you've been here for a while. Either way in my opinion, it should be something that shows everyone you know what's going on around here and deserve our respect ^_^ I only have 146 posts now and i've been here a little under a year, so i'm still a newbie Laughing
Indyan
Why give so much importance t a title?
The only title that matters is Moderator.

And if there was subjective evaluation then there would be more controversy - "he hates me for xxx reasons so he is not promoting me " king of thing.
nivre
James007 wrote:
Are you happy about your 500th post, or is this just a post criticising us? If you are so "all knowing" you should also know what happened to N4L because now is a little late, don't you think so either?

You are just a slow poster (compared to the average frihoster), which is not a problem of course, as long as you keep a positive point count. As a real die heart frihoster, you should know that we value people upon their way of posting. We don't actually look at the status picture.

Not too much agree with it...(sorry)POsting stuffs that you don't like makes it not comfortable for you.. and also, posting in your field of interest can give a better result to readers and can be a great help...Best ideas don't come up everday, so its better to do it once in a while...but having such status is great! can't wait to be one...
James007
nivre wrote:
James007 wrote:

Not too much agree with it...(sorry)POsting stuffs that you don't like makes it not comfortable for you.. and also, posting in your field of interest can give a better result to readers and can be a great help...Best ideas don't come up everday, so its better to do it once in a while...but having such status is great! can't wait to be one...

I said it wasn't a problem. Shocked
m-productions
I wish there were some more custom ranks..other than the basics.. that deal with both..posts..and a mixture of time.. Anything to keep me from getting the HORIBLE "FRIHOST FREAK" what the heck is up with that rank? It looks so horrible.. the noob shield is nicer than the frihost freaks shield...almost makes me not want to get to 2000 posts.
Arnie
Well, that goes for Addicted Frihoster too. But I'm not sure you have any right of speech here, considering the panda-on-girl-in-underwear-thing?? Eh?
rvec
yeah you're right. The only really good looking rank is mod Cool
Although I think Addicted Frihoster would be my second choice.
James007
I really think the AC-shield is the best. Just look at it! Ah! Cool
Genesiz
Hmm i think i'd probably prefer this one:

Joking aside, who's decision would you respect/consider more. A senior frihoster who has been here since 2005, a frihost freak who has been here since 2007 (not very likely, but for sake of the discussion) or a member of staff who joined last year and was only appointed very recently?

It may not be fair, but having a higher status rank gives you more respect. People are more likely to reply to a thread made by someone with 2000 posts than by someone with 100, or answer a post made by a member of staff than by a normal user. That is just how things swing. As a new user with relatively few posts, i find it very hard to get people to respond to my posts, which can seem unfair at times. But in a few years, when i could be a senior frihoster say, it will be easier as my higher status will give me more respect.
mOrpheuS
bogger wrote:
only 8 people with active sites on the www.frihost.net website
I'm almost certain that's not the case.
I can recall more than that right off the top of my head.

rvec wrote:
The only really good looking rank is mod
James007 wrote:
I really think the AC-shield is the best

tsk tsk ...

But now that I think of it, I do agree that "Senior" ought to be a better milestone than "addicted" or "freak".

How does the idea of a rank of "FRIHost Guru" (for those above 5K posts) sound ?
Genesiz
Maybe its time for a revamp of the whole rank system. People seem to hate the Frihost Freak image, and feel there should be more ranks after it, so maybe there is a call for some new ones. I notice that the ranks used now were all created by a user, the images included. What i feel would be better is if the users decided on the images, quantity etc, and then someone made the ranks on the basis of that.

Of course, some ranks don't need changing. I think most of the staff ranks are much better than normal user ones, and i quite like the senior frihoster one, but some definitely need improving (frihost freak, and adolescent frihoster as well, it just looks so childish).
James007
Complaining about status names, okay... but complaining about rank images... That really means you've got nothing to do. Rolling Eyes
Genesiz
There are obviously people who hate some of them so maybe they need changing. Thats all i was saying.

James007 wrote:
That really means you've got nothing to do.

I lead a very sheltered life.
James007
Maybe you want to make some suggestions for new status pictures/names yourself? Smile
Genesiz
Genesiz wrote:
What i feel would be better is if the users decided on the images, quantity etc, and then someone made the ranks on the basis of that.

In answer of your question.
James007
Yes, but you ARE a user and we need ideas before anyone can judge them.
bogger
Right, might as well reply to everything now Razz

@ mrbluesky: wow, that's a lot of posts :O. ironically, you're not a senior frihoster, but an addicted frihoster ^^. Also, PM sent to you about something off topic.

@james007: I am not intending to criticise you, I merely intend to raise discussion about an area which I have interest in. and I never pretended to be
Quote:
f you are so "all knowing" you should also know what happened to N4L
I am in fact quite ignorant, due to my posting only in 1 board

@rvec: I meant on VPS1, ty for correction, as for there only being 8 people using VPS1, I read that somewhere, but I've lost my source, I'll retract it for lack of evidence

@ all: After doing some research into other forums on the matter, I noticed two interesting methods for distinguishing age. 1 way is just to give a medal on the user page of that person, as can be found here:
http://www.esl.eu/eu/dow/dc/1on1/ladder/player/1766109/.
It's nice, and it's pretty, and of course, we could make it so you have to pay Fri$ for it to appear, like www.esl.eu do (with real money). This would also pave the way for other medals, like "philosopher of the year 2008", "long winded poster" for people with >3 Fripoints per post average (mine is a pitiful 2points per post average, I just calculated) etc.

Another method, which would be remarkably difficult to do coding wise, but is very simple to do in theory, is to have the "senior frihoster" or whatever, change colour depending on the amount of the time the user had been registered. This wouldn't imply that anyone is better than anyone else, just that they've been around longer. This website does this:
www.dowsanctuary.com
It just has a picture beside each member title, and the picture for new members changes each year.

If I seem a bit moany for someone so inactive, I apologise, I merely intend to stoke debate.
rvec
at this moment there are 374 hosting accounts on server 1/vps1 I doubt there are only 8 active Razz

And there will be prices for good posters, a staff member is working on that and will most likely make an announcement when he finishes it.
jabapyth
maybe you should just change "Senior Frihoster" to "Experienced Frihoster" or "Guy who's been around a while"...
bogger
The problem with that is that you get people like:

Q5U8 (610 posts, 04/07)who only joined in april, and would be called a "guy who's been around a while" even though relative to Seregwethrin (608 posts, 06/05, inactive), he hasn't.

No offence intended to either of these guys, i'm sure they're lovely and very respected in their fields Smile.

@ rvec, ty for correction, I retract my statement that there are only 8 active VPS1 users. I will however say that out of 38,000 members (including inactive and banned members) 374 isn't that many people, it would amount for at most 5% of all the members on this board, assuming only a 1/5 retention rate.
Arnie
Genesiz wrote:
Hmm i think i'd probably prefer this one:

Think Who would want a doghouse as rank image??
jabapyth wrote:
maybe you should just change "Senior Frihoster" to "Experienced Frihoster" or "Guy who's been around a while"...
?

Mr. Green

Well on a serious note, I see no need to change the Senior rank. It's the two ranks above there that seem a bit strange.
ocalhoun
mOrpheuS wrote:

How does the idea of a rank of "FRIHost Guru" (for those above 5K posts) sound ?

5K?
All the members who qualify for it already have other special ranks. The only active non-staff member even close is Blaster.

It would solve the problem of running out of ranks to try for, but what about one at 4K and then another at 6K or so? If anybody manages to make the 6K, we can consider making even higher ones.

Also, what's up with the trans-formers logo for administrator?

Wouldn't there be copyright or trademark violations on that?
secronin
You are occasionally, not in line with my views as to what is "cool". However, fair play with the 500 post thing.
Arnie
secronin wrote:
You
Who? Neutral
icecool
i stopped reading on the bottom of page one here
all goggle eyed i must admit

not one post adressed content
all about numbers

yessssssssss i know
software cant evaluate content
and software is counting the posts
and goes click at the milestones

maybe im just to anal
or not competetive enough
or sometimes just like watching other people make ...... of themselves
saying alot with not much to say
just sniggering to myself

hhhuuuummmmm
just wondering Very Happy

cheers
truespeed
icecool wrote:

all about numbers

yessssssssss i know

maybe im just to anal

hhhuuuummmmm

cheers

Your
quite
hard
to
read.
icecool
truespeed wrote:
icecool wrote:

all about numbers

yessssssssss i know

maybe im just to anal

hhhuuuummmmm

cheers

Your
quite
hard
to
read.

why?
truespeed
icecool wrote:
truespeed wrote:
icecool wrote:

all about numbers

yessssssssss i know

maybe im just to anal

hhhuuuummmmm

cheers

Your
quite
hard
to
read.

why?

The way they are constructed,like a poem or a limerick,i half expect every other line to rhyme.
evilryu530
yeah it means you've posted over 500 times. congrats on that feat!
Bockman
I have read this thread top to bottom and I have a Question..

Where do you guys see those rank images or whats-their-name?

If you all agree on having it "renewed", i think there would be no problem in creating new ones, as long as this doesn't load on the staff. The color option seems to me would be wasting time on coding for something that honestly doesn't deserve it.

I would like to see the current images (confused. are they images or text?) before they changed...
Can someone tell me if I have one?

As for the 8 sites on Server1 (before it became VPS1), i don't know how many were active, but i can tell you there were 150 accounts or so and these were from old members.
One of these accounts was mine and it was innactive for years (it still isn't active, although the work is in progress). Does that mean I should have had my rank update delayed?... Specially, considering I still was active on the forums (so much I didn't have time to do my own site).

Now honestly, how many times do you judge someone by it's rank? I usually catalog people according to their post history and quality, not basing my opinion on post count or "forum age".

Be Well Cool
ocalhoun
Bockman wrote:

I would like to see the current images (confused. are they images or text?) before they changed...
Can someone tell me if I have one?

Er, yeah, you do.
It looks a little like this:

Bockman

Joined 27 Apr 2005

Why wouldn't you be able to see it?
jcvincent75
I like the senior frihoster shield. It looks simple but cool. I think it's the best shield out there. But yup. being a senior frihoster only means that you have reached the 500 posts mark. Nothing more. I guess.

Frihost is cool!

Cheers!
psycosquirrel
I like the thought of "Frihost Guru."

I'm becoming active again, which means I should attain "Frihost Freak" status within a few months.

I don't entirely like the thought of being called a freak for my ability to post relevant and useful information in this forum though...

I do not think rank should be established based on age. It is fine the way it is now. People can tell if you have been around for a long time. Me, I'm newer than many old-timers here. But, at the same time, I feel that I have contributed to this forum quite significantly (more than probably around 90% of those here). I, prior to my hiatus, was in the top 30's by post count, and was in the 20's by FRIH$. This meant that, while my posts weren't necessarily as great in number as most individuals, they contained more content, and therefore, added to the discussion more. (Especially because I never have traded

Seniority does not implicate superiority.
Wuppie
Thanks for digging up this topic.
deanhills
psycosquirrel wrote:
I like the thought of "Frihost Guru."

Frihost Guru instead of Frihost Freak is an awesome suggestion.

Not too crazy about Senior Frihoster either. Sort of feels a little "over the hill". Maybe Frihost Yuppie would be a good one? Then Frihost Guru. And after that Frihost Sage, i.e.:

Adolescent Frihoster
Frihoster
Frihost Guru
Grihost Sage

I personally like the Frihoster shield the best.
KHO
@Icecool: I'm wondering if your post
was a failed attempt at poetry,
or if maybe your just short winded and have to take a breath
after every few syllables =|

@jcvincent75: Why did you bring this topic back up from January? It's a good thread, but honestly, did you just go and hit like 40 pages back and open the biggest topic or something?

I think the FRIHost Guru rank would be cool, but the 5k rank is ridiculous. I don't think I've even seen anyone active that will come close to that anytime soon. Not at least without a forum where we can post meaningless spam topics without earning Frih$
PatTheGreat42
I think it means you've said a lot of stuff.
psycosquirrel
I think, given I remain as active as I am now, I should hit the 5k mark within the year.

But, that is unlikely. Then again, I want to keep my hosting pretty much forever, so as long as this site is here, I will be posting. That means that I will EVENTUALLY hit those kinds of numbers. Crazy, huh?
Rico
are you serious kid
psycosquirrel
Yup!

And uh, I'm not entirely a kid anymore. I think 20 qualifies as a...

Never mind. Yeah, I'm still a kid.

Laughing
missdixy
My website/blog isn't visited by tons of people or anything, but I use it to post with a friend and a few other people visit now and then. So, I like to think of it as active.
tony
Here is my 681st post!! Haha; it is not as special as yours because the number is not so special. Sorry. and always sorry for my english too.
edwinl
cool thing, i'm just reaching 20 messages now lol
standready
After reading your post, I looked over to find I had just went over 500 post. Tittles/rank mean nothing to me except for "Moderator" who help keep the boards.