FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sweeney Todd

Did you like Sweeney Todd?
Yes!
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
No!
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Alright
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

fimperato
Did any of you see sweeney todd? I thought it was absolutly amazing! The music was great! Even though I don't think Johnny Depp could sing, he fit the part. I think he needed to be that rustly so he sounded meaner. Helena Bonham Carter was absolutly amazing throught the whole movie. Did you know she was pregnat the whole time!?

I want to know what you think about it!
crimson_aria
i want to see this badly. but i think it will be out in cinemas on the 16th.. which is.. so dang far! i love johnny depp movies.
Dean_The_Great
It was remarkable! I just got back from the theatre and I gotta say I was not disappointed.

I went to Musical Theatre school, and I think it was amazing in everyway. Depp is superb as always, giving a pop feel to his singing that worked absolutely. Bonham Carter surprised me tons, giving great weight to her character in her stylishly character-acting way. And I don't know the actor that played Toby, but that kid was AWESOME!

And then, of course, Tim Burton rocks it out once again with his spectacular filmmaking. The images in that film are breathtaking more than once.

But it's to be expected with the fusion of Burton, Depp, and Sondheim's music.

5/5 For the film. Everyone should go see it.
Blu_Spykz
I am yet to watch this film, though it is definitely on my "to-watch" list. I am looking forward to it IMMENSELY. Depp is one of the finest actors out their, and he can not go wrong when teaming with Burton.
Shewolf
Can't wait to hear Johnny Depp sing!
Of course I live in a far-off country, so I have not gotten the chance to watch it yet. But I hope it's good, really good. I'll let you guys know what I think, when I've seen it Very Happy
Crazy_Canuck
I see Johnny won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Comedy/Musical, and Sweeney Todd won for Best Picture.

I'm looking forward to the Oscar list ... and also looking forward to seeing it. Haven't had a chance yet, but I've seen EVERY JD movie ever made. He's such a great character actor.
Coclus
What is it about?
Crazy_Canuck
Synopsis from RottenTomatoes.com:

With its rivers of blood, this adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical isn't for the faint of heart--or stomach. But thanks to the black humor, impeccable production design, and gorgeous music, Tim Burton fans will want to sing after seeing SWEENEY TODD. For his sixth collaboration with the director, Johnny Depp stars as Benjamin Barker aka Sweeney Todd, a barber falsely imprisoned by Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman). After leaving prison, he comes back to Victorian London to find his wife poisoned and his daughter held captive. As he plots his revenge, Sweeney joins forces with Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter), and while he preys on clients asking for a shave, his new partner turns the bodies into baked goods. But the judge still lives, and the razor-wielding madman wants his vengeance.

Read more here
crimson_aria
watched Sweeney Todd last week and I enjoyed it. It's not as gory as I thought it would be, but still great as I imagined. so she's really pregnant? while watching the movie, I told my friend that Helena Bonham Carter looks fatter, then she told me she's pregnant. I think she did great in the movie. And Johnny Depp too of course.
linangan
Recently, I had the opportunity to see Tim Burton’s new film “Sweeney Todd.” The overall look of the film is classic Burton from top to bottom, the distinctive deep contrasts and Gothic tones. The musical-turned-movie was quite ripe for Burton's flare for the macabre.

Johnny Depp (Sweeney Todd) was, as always, a perfect match for his character. His slow tones and serious psychopathic portrayed in the film were enjoyable to watch. Depp fans would not be disappointed.

The musicale was clearly the bases for the script, and it really felt like I was just watching a filmed show. The songs were not enthusiastic or moving, they overused overlapped singing; making it hard to follow and left huge plot holes at the conclusion. If the singing or score were better I may think differently, but they left far too much to be desired.

In the end, the film would have been better if someone made a movie based on the story, instead of a Broadway show on a big screen; and not a good one at that. From film like The Corpse Bride, we know Depp has the vocal range, but no amount of range could save this lamentable score.
McDucque
I really enjoyed it, having been involved with stage productions of the actual Sweeney Todd.

it was very Tim Burton, and the music was very well placed into the film. It was annoying, how many kids were there with no real idea that it was such a musical, and whined every time there was a Reprise like "Really? They're still singing?"
Dean_The_Great
linangan wrote:

The musicale was clearly the bases for the script, and it really felt like I was just watching a filmed show. The songs were not enthusiastic or moving, they overused overlapped singing; making it hard to follow and left huge plot holes at the conclusion. If the singing or score were better I may think differently, but they left far too much to be desired.

In the end, the film would have been better if someone made a movie based on the story, instead of a Broadway show on a big screen; and not a good one at that. From film like The Corpse Bride, we know Depp has the vocal range, but no amount of range could save this lamentable score.

A lamentable score? It's surprising to hear. I found that the score amplified the film, and I felt their choices in adapting the theatre score to the screen was quite effective. Burton cut out all of the sweeping chorus songs in order to make the show flow more nicely with the principal characters.

What is it about the score that was so lamentable to you? Was it the orchestration of the piece?

And who's singing disappointed you?
urbanbuddha
I loved Sweeny Todd! I don't know why it was rated 18A in my city though. In my opinion, I didn't find the gore scenes that realistic and the blood was bright red. XD It was a great movie though. I loved the musical scores.
intruder_indeed
Watched about 20 minutes of it last week, not my cuppa tea at all, it's onme of those films you could watch once and never want to see it again. Whatever possed Depp to do such a film is beyond me. If it was not a musical it would have been a good film.
Blu_Spykz
Blu_Spykz wrote:
I am yet to watch this film, though it is definitely on my "to-watch" list. I am looking forward to it IMMENSELY. Depp is one of the finest actors out their, and he can not go wrong when teaming with Burton.

Well, seen it now.

Wasn't disappointed. GREAT film - even the singing!

Enjoyed it immensely.,
cavey
Sorry. Watched 10 minutes. All the singing was to weird to me... Guess I'm not a Tim Burton fan... I really like Johnny Depp though!
crimson_aria
cavey wrote:
Sorry. Watched 10 minutes. All the singing was to weird to me... Guess I'm not a Tim Burton fan... I really like Johnny Depp though!

and Johnnys Depp isn't enough to make you finish the film? xD truth be told, it was Johnny Depp that lured me to this movie. haha. but I really liked the movie. those types of movies are my cup of tea.
cavey
I REALLY like Johnny Depp. But no actor, no matter how great he is, can make me watch a movie I don't like.
annapurnatraders
cavey wrote:
I REALLY like Johnny Depp. But no actor, no matter how great he is, can make me watch a movie I don't like.

Yea you are so right. I like Johnny Depp as well but i didn't like the movie. I was sleeping in between the movie.
blk3
I haven't watch the movie yet as I really hated musicals. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime.
CTMiB
I have always enjoyed Sweeney Todd, from way back in the PBS "Great Performances" day with Angela Lansbury playing Mrs. Lovett. I have been a fan of Johnny Depp for a while as well, because he's willing to take risks with the roles he plays.

I considered this version of Sweeney Todd to be absolutely fantastic. The choices for the roles was perfect, especially Sasha Baron Cohen as Pirelli. Helena Bonham Carter's singing voice was a little reedy, but I think it lended a certain air to the character, because it made Mrs. Lovett sound like she was desperately trying to keep some of her innocense about her, despite the situation she found herself in. Alan Rickman was at his oily, Snape-channeling best. And Depp's singing was unexpectedly good... even he admitted that he didn't think he was a good singer.

The art direction / costuming were wonderful, the music was great (I bought the soundtrack the evening after I saw the movie), and I am greatly anticipating its DVD release.
Idoru
I find it really difficult to enjoy musicals, but I sat myself down to watch this one despite of that. I'm glad I did!
Sweeny Todd is not only beautiful, but a strong movie that can survive even the humiliation of beeing presented
as a musical. It still stands strong.
Always nice to get surprised.
JakeMoore
I loved it. The acting, the singing, and especially the scenery. One of the few musicals that I've enjoyed.
Indyan
I watched the movie couple of days back. Loved it. I found the song lyrics to be quite funny (Worst pies in London!!). Very Happy
cbaron
I know a whole lot of people who were worried it wasn't going to be up to snuff, die hard Sweeney Todd fans who love the stage version. But as one of those people, I can honestly say I think they were so different that comparisons weren't necessary or terribly relevant. It was just so visually appealing for what it was. I saw it on the big screen twice, and wouldn't have hesitated to see it a third time.

While Deep and Bohnam-Carter weren't tremendous singers, they are tremendous actors and when it comes to a piece like Sweeney, acting the songs is half the battle. So I think they rocked it out.

As for the show, I'd kill to be in it someday. Aah Stephen Sondheim.. Smile
Dean_The_Great
I agree with Charon entirely, and for those who didn't like that it was a musical, it's too bad that it takes you out of the action and such. I think they did a good job blending scene/song, including making some edits to the score to make it flow more readily. Maybe one day you'll sit down and watch it with different eyes or ears and you'll like it.