FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So, I'm turning 20 today...

JustCarol
Hey!

The thing is, I'm turning 20 today (01/08/2008) and I feel kind of odd... I mean can you believe that babies born in 2000 will be turning 8 years old this year?

I feel strange in a good way I think. I mean I just keep wondering where will I be when I turn 30 and thinking of where I am in my early 20's or late 10's and trying to remember what I expected from me as 20-year-old when I was 10.... I used to imagine myself as a mother and maybe someone who works in a bank or something... none of this two things are real but it wasn't really a dream... In ten years (my late 20's and early 30's) I expect to be prepared to be a mother and maybe be married and have a career (yes I still don't know what I'd like to be, can you believe me???)... I mean, I'm not a teenager anymore! Yey!!! Smile But responsability increases and I don't know if it's soooo good anyway LOL

anyway, what about you???

1. If you are in your 20's, are you where you wanted to be when you were in your 10's?
2. If you are in your 20's, how do you expect your life to be in 10 years?
3. Have you figure out what your going to do for the rest of your life? When did you found out?
4. What did you feel when you turned 20?

1. If you are in your 30's or more, are you in the place that you used to imagine to be when you were 20?
2. Do you like your profession or what you do? If you could change it (had time, didn't had kids to watch or whatever) would you?
3. When you are in 30's or more, life gets better or worst? (in your opinion, of course...)

It would be really nice of you to share this things with me... i just want to know if it's normal to feel strange when you turn 20"
m-productions
Well first, congrats!

Now anyway, on topic.. its funny that you say you feel like you getting old, cuase when i read this "im turning 20" im like..wow hes old... then i reliezed... in about 11 months... ill be 20. And i dont feel old at all... until i look back on it... its rather odd that way. Its all on how you think about it if 20 is "old" i guess haha... So when I am 20... ill think im still young... until i see it on paper.. then its like..DANG!

anyway, once again congrats, and have a good day tomorrow!
Vrythramax
oh gawd I feel so old Crying or Very sad

BTW...m-productions....there's a Panda on her face!
medievalman26
A wee bit late but Happy birthday. and yes that is definitely a panda on the face
ashen
Happy birthday JustCarol!
I'll be 20 in 2 years later. I think 20 isn't really old. Very Happy

A panda on the girl's face? Laughing
crimson_aria
first of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

well I'm turning 20 in 6 months, and i feel old. lol.

i can't really remember exactly what i wanted to be when i was 10. er, was it a lawyer? i think so. but i'm not taking up law right now. well my dreams changed a lot throughout the years. i don't know how i will turn out 10 years later though i often think about it. you can't really tell. all i can say is that, i am happy with myself right now. this is perhaps my most loved 'me.' i love the 'me' i am today. i don't know, but i messed things up awful lot when i was 18 (year 2006) and that pretty much made a big impact on my life. and since then, i improved.. i believe. my views about life changed into something better and i now see things in a more positive way. i can't explain it that much, but.. i guess all i want to say is that, i learned, and now i have a better grasp of what living is about. guess people really have to go through bad times to reach the good times.

i once had a chat with a good old friend about 'life gets better/worst' she told me that as we grow older, life gets sadder. and i told her that as we grow older, life gets happier too. life can't really be explained one-sided. sure more problems come but you can't deny more happy stuffs come too.

lol, too sentimental. sorry
singh.gurjeet
I am 28... going on 29.. And still feel like I am in early twenties!!! Probably its all in your heart. I look at it this way: I haven't seen nothing, so much of my life is going on now.. and so much more to come. I guess I will never be old (at heart that is). Just follow your heart, do what it says (at least try, and don't be stupid Smile ), you will never regret it, and you heart will never let you grow old.

Cheers to life...
darvit
First of all, I hope that you had a great birthday! Razz

Whoa, I felt the exact same way when I turned 20 last.... *gasp* year.

Crap, I feel old. Sad I turn 21 this June. Sad

But then again, people think that I'm 13 years old, though, so that may not be so bad after all? Laughing Also, I agree that age is just a thing of the mind. Besides, it's all about the mindset anyway. If you feel old, then you'll get old. I might be turning 21 this year, but I feel like I'm still 16. Razz

When I was 10 years old, I never even imagined myself as a 20-nothing-err-something. I think what I loved about my childhood is that I really lived for the moment. Looking back, I'm glad I did.

Right now, however, things are different. 10 years from now, I'll be 30, and I'm actually in the point of my life when things are rather uncertain and I'm just waiting for some decisions and results to arrive. My entire life and my future hangs on these decisions that I [and these other people] make. It's pretty scary, honestly, all this uncertainty... all this decision-making. I'm sure that others have felt the same way, at some point, though...

crimson_aria wrote:

i once had a chat with a good old friend about 'life gets better/worst' she told me that as we grow older, life gets sadder. and i told her that as we grow older, life gets happier too. life can't really be explained one-sided. sure more problems come but you can't deny more happy stuffs come too.

Aww, yeah, you have a point there. XD You can't always get what you want, but when you do get them, it's just great.

PS:
Quote:
I mean can you believe that babies born in 2000 will be turning 8 years old this year?

Yeah, I still get shocked when I realize that the kids born in 1990 are turning eighteen this year. Oh, time flies! Shocked
Yjaxygames
I know that feeling, about the kid of 8 years old that was born in 2000. I'm a bit younger than you, but I have the same feeling. It's just weird.
Vrythramax
Good Lord D'Arvit your depressing me! To think I was graduating (with honors) from college before you were born is a rather sobering fact. So many people place so much importance, at times justified, on age it's actual meaning has been lost. That meaning is beyond my years also...we all tend to judge by appearance.

There was once a time when old(er) people were revered and thier guidance was sought out and considered a matter of importance. Now look at what we have become....a whole world that lives in thier own reflection. If you look old your no longer of any real use....unless of course you are courted by hypocrites looking for a way to gain the wisdom only time can give. This is not to say all people of age are wise...I know quite a few er...extremely unwise (cool segway huh?) people that are no longer young.

I'll end this before it becomes a disertation on age vs. youth by saying simply...age only gives you wrinkles...you earn the wisdom by living life itself.

Please forgive my typos...my old hands don't work as well as they used to. Laughing
gr8inferno
I was delivering Pizza when I was 20. gosh times does really fly!! I can't wait for my mid-life crisis.
HDirtwater
I don't recall feeling any different between 19 and 20. Now turning 21 was a big step becuase of the obvious alcoholic implications (I could buy my friends beer - and some for myself). To me, 20 was just another year before I hit 21.

Now 30 was an entirely different prospect.... Razz
Vrythramax
HDirtwater wrote:
I don't recall feeling any different between 19 and 20. Now turning 21 was a big step becuase of the obvious alcoholic implications (I could buy my friends beer - and some for myself). To me, 20 was just another year before I hit 21.

30??? I pray to the powers that be to ban this one!
JustCarol
Thank you all for the happy birthday wishes... I had an ordinary but pleasant day, I don't like partying in my own birthday I feel extremely shy or whatever getting all the atention...

I remember that I always wanted to be 16, but when I was 16 I wanted to be 20...
Now I'm 20 I want to be 16 again Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
crimson_aria wrote:

guess people really have to go through bad times to reach the good times.

Is that a rule in life? I mean so many people say this to me and I keep thinking if we only learn going trough bad times.... I think that we can't expect flowers everyday you know... and yes, we kind of learn a lot of "why we can't do it" when we go trough bad times... But I also think that people use this too much, I mean, is possible to learn in good times too. You kind of knows that it for sure make you happy, you know what I mean?
singh.gurjeet wrote:

I am 28... going on 29.. And still feel like I am in early twenties!!! Probably its all in your heart. I look at it this way: I haven't seen nothing, so much of my life is going on now.. and so much more to come. I guess I will never be old (at heart that is). Just follow your heart, do what it says (at least try, and don't be stupid Smile ), you will never regret it, and you heart will never let you grow old.

Or in my head. I feel young but I know that I'm not that young anymore, I should get I life or something and all my decisions from now will affect my whole life... that's what scares me more about it! I feel like I've wasted too many time, not fun meaning I mean, like going to schooil without really studying LOL it might seems silly to you but where I live you can't really go to university if you don't study HARD you just don't get it (and even if you do study hard it will propably get a couple years to go to university)... I mean I feel like I have less time to waste, to think... I would love to go to university but right now I can't because I have to work (sometimes you can't do both here). It's like now people (and myself) expect that I make less mistakes and go and make the right decisions for me... but I'm trying hard to figure out what's really good for me, I know that I should follow my heart and my dreams, but we tend to trust our heart too much, like our hearts don't lie Razz

Vrythramax wrote:
there was once a time when old(er) people were revered and thier guidance was sought out and considered a matter of importance. Now look at what we have become....a whole world that lives in thier own reflection. If you look old your no longer of any real use....unless of course you are courted by hypocrites looking for a way to gain the wisdom only time can give. This is not to say all people of age are wise...I know quite a few er...extremely unwise (cool segway huh?) people that are no longer young.

You've got a lovely point! Yes I surely feel like I more wise for somethings now then I was in my 10's.... but I know that I have a long way to run if I look to my parents for example... I didn't even think about it, here something good Smile

darvit wrote:
Crap, I feel old. Sad I turn 21 this June. Sad

Let's not talk about it for now Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing One year to go for me and if I think I'm old right now, imagine next year... Laughing
Vrythramax
To be quoted by you brings real happiness to my heart. Smile

Do not fret what the future brings you, instead relish in what may be. Who know's....I may be working for you someday Wink

Look to your heart but do not blind yourself to your surroundings. Your heart may guide you, but the path YOU must follow lies in front of your eyes.

Damn I am poetic at times....maybe that's why I sold so many albums Razz
meet in rio
1. If you are in your 20's, are you where you wanted to be when you were in your 10's?
To be honest, I never really had a life plan when I was in my early teens. I didn't even know what GCSEs were until I had to choose them age 14. I suppose I thought I'd be more grown-up and have more responsibilities, but I didn't really have concrete expectations. I suppose I thought I would know what I wanted to do with my life by now.

2. If you are in your 20's, how do you expect your life to be in 10 years?
Sappy as it sounds, I'd ideally like to be paired off and with a few children. It doesn't look like it's going to happen, though, given that I really can't see myself in a proper relationship any time in the next few years -- I'm just too scatty and aimless to be girlfriend/wife material, really. I'd like to have paid off all my loans and perhaps have lived properly in a few countries (and got my French/Spanish/German fluency up). I'm on my way towards that now (living abroad next year, and doing some travel and au pair-ing), so perhaps it'll be a reality. I'd like to have some direction in life, I suppose, but I probably won;t get that until I'm 40 or a similarly ridiculous age.

3. Have you figure out what your going to do for the rest of your life? When did you found out?
No idea. I wanted to join the army and be a dentist age 16, because I thought I should have 'a plan'. Then I realised how wrong that was for me, gave up on the sciences and took a bunch of lang/lit classes. I'd like to translate, I think. Or something freelance. Not sure. I want to be able to up sticks and move every time I fancy it.

4. What did you feel when you turned 20?
I suppose I was sorry not to have the 'I'm a teen' excuse any more. I think 21 will hit me harder. I have been a lot more comfortable in my own skin in the past year, though. I am approaching the zenith of my physical and mental power and also the best I will probably ever look, which is a faintly depressing but empowering thought. Honestly, I love being my age. I've never been happier in my life. I've actually been planning the year to come quite carefully and I finally feel like I'm starting to get the most out of life.
Josso
HDirtwater wrote:

Haha alcoholic implications pretty much are my main drive behind my perspective of age landmarks. It's 18 over here though Laughing
sodredge
I am gonna be 32 in a few weeks and I am just happy to be here. I am 7ft tall and 533 lbs. (42) Stones for you English folk. Everyday is a blessing.
ThornsOfSorrow
I'm 20 now, and I have to say that, like you, I started looking differently at life as soon as I was no longer a teenager. 20 isn't old by any means, yet my twentieth birthday made me realize that I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my life (even if it's just a basic idea). Of course, there's still room for trial and error (I'm about to change my major after two years of college), but in my opinon, ages 20-25 are the most important when it comes to planning one's life.

Something I also noticed when I turned 20 is that I started thinking about the future instead of just living life as it happens. I've been wondering what I'll be like on my 30th birthday or even my 40th. While I don't consider 30 or 40 to be old, thinking that far ahead makes me feel like time is flying by too fast. I'd love to never age past 25, but that obviously won't happen, and that's a strangly disturbing though, just like a child can't picture themselves being 20 or 30.

To answer your questions, I didn't have much of a plan for myself when I was ten. The only time I thought of the future at that age was when I told everyone that I was going to make a living as an artist. While I still produce art, I don't get paid for it and I'm not planning to ever get paid for it, so I haven't exactly lived up to my prediction.

In ten years, I'm hoping that I'll be a successful engineer. While I didn't set out to do this, I'm basically following in my dad's footsteps. He graduated from the college I currently attend, started working as an electric engineer, and bought a house shortly after. I'm not yet sure what type of engineer I'd like to be (I still have 2 or 3 months to figure it out), but I have a feeling that I'll follow the same three steps that he did. After that, I'm planning to live alone while learning how to cook, which should be a scary experience considering how little I can cook right now. Also, the main room in my house is going to have a black leather couch with a huge Jackson Pollock print above it. I'll plan the rest of the house when the time comes. Very Happy

And the answers to the last two questions are buried somewhere in the first two paragraphs. Cool
Liu
I'm 23 right now. Your life and personality will change drastically after college and after you start your career.

It'll be even greater once you have a child, so everyone is telling me.
Zombie
Well your an oldie! Jkrofl, I'm almost there so don't feel bad. I sometimes wish I was younger so I wouldn't have to do college/work but it's all good. I feel alot smarter than I was as a teen, but that doesn't say much. The upside to my age is a driver's liscense, which i'll recieve in about three months. Big hand for me please.... wow I didn't actually expect you to clap. Embarassed
Headhunter123
Gratz Applause

I am only 16 so I don`t feel so old Smile

I don`t think you are old before you are past 50 years.
JustCarol
Vrythramax wrote:
To be quoted by you brings real happiness to my heart.

You are very kind Smile
Vrythramax wrote:
Look to your heart but do not blind yourself to your surroundings. Your heart may guide you, but the path YOU must follow lies in front of your eyes.

It was... Ok, I know that I'm not going to have a hard time to sleep today thinking about it... In front of my eyes? What could it be? Strong sentence Cool

ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
I'm 20 now, and I have to say that, like you, I started looking differently at life as soon as I was no longer a teenager. 20 isn't old by any means, yet my twentieth birthday made me realize that I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my life (even if it's just a basic idea). Of course, there's still room for trial and error (I'm about to change my major after two years of college), but in my opinon, ages 20-25 are the most important when it comes to planning one's life.

Did you get inside my head and I didn't notice it? I feel old because I know that I've reached that time of life when you're like "ok, now or never, I've got to decide...." It's like I don't have all the time to think of who I want to be and what I want to do for the rest of my life. People usually says "it's never late to change" but I think this sentence has a more theory meaning than a pratical one. If I start college now and 20 years later I find out that it was not right for me I'll be very disappointed for sure! I don't want this to happen and I guess that's why I'm being so cautious about it. I don't want to waste any more time that I've wasted in my 10's!

And yes, time is not passing but FLYING! It seems like time is running more and more every year... it's like it's running away from something or to something, it's very weird!

meet in rio wrote:
I'd like to have paid off all my loans and perhaps have lived properly in a few countries (and got my French/Spanish/German fluency up). I'm on my way towards that now (living abroad next year, and doing some travel and au pair-ing),

It's funny because I also want to travel A LOT! (but I couldn't yet). It seems like (almost) everyone wants to travel abroad and live some time in another country in the 20's... I've ALWAYS thought about it, when I was 10 years old or less... it will happen, let's keep the faith alive Laughing Let's say that I want to be living in Australia in my 30's... Rolling Eyes

Thank you all for the kind words, best wishes and advices... you are helping a lot! Smile
singh.gurjeet
Headhunter123 wrote:
Gratz Applause

I am only 16 so I don`t feel so old Smile

I don`t think you are old before you are past 30 years.

Hey hey hey..... watch it.... I'll be there in a couple of years..

<after some thought>

Well. Now reflecting upon it, I remember how someone (http://www.maskeensahib.com) said that we attach a lot to our age; and we shouldn't. He also pointed out how if you call an old man OLD, he would retaliate back or at least take offense. I guess that wise man was right. I accept it... I am growing old. But I don't regret it as long as I am living the right life, fulfilling my duties to my capacity, loving and taking care of my family. I want to say so much more but I guess there are so many wise words out there (you just have to look), so I'll just shut up.

So Carol, don't worry about your age. Stop worrying. Live your life to the fullest; do whatever you wish to, at least spend your life trying to do you what you wish. Be at peace with yourself.

Many many happy returns of the day...

Love
ForceRun
Well I'll be turning 25 later this year, time flys and it goes even faster when you don't have a plan. Congrats on your B-day, make the most of your time, it goes fast.
driftingfe3s
I'm 22 right now, going to be 23 this April. Turning 20 didn't really have an effect on me, but I think I did change and mature very slowly during my college years. And now that I've recently graduated college, I can't say that I feel any different, but the atmosphere has definitely changed. Hopefully by the time I'm thirty I'll have a swanky job, own my own house, be married, and have a kid or two.
PatTheGreat42
First off, happy birthday dude. Big 2-0, eh?

Twenties seems like an interesting step. I mean, congrats! You're no longer a dirty teenager. Damn teenagers can't trust 'em.

As for me, tell you what: at 20, I'm right where I wanted to be.

Perhaps unfortunately.
amysanders
he,he i was born in 1990 and im 18 on the 26th of january so in 2008 im 18, kinda cool its the only way i remember how old i am, do any of you ever forget how old you are, when people ask me i always forget.
Srs2388
I am turning 20 in 16 days... so.. that will be weird not being a teen any more..
Seiji
Well I'm not 20 yet but in 4 more years I will be. Now I'm 16 and I actually like the fact that I'm older than a lot of the other students in school. When someone says "Hey, are your a freshman?" it feels good to tell them that I am a junior, but I guess that is just a seniority thing. Sometimes I just think about those kids that were in kindergarten while I was in 5th grade or the kids that where in 6th grade while I was in 8th grade. When I'm 20 I just hope that I am in college with a car and a job Laughing
zjosie729
Well I guess it's kind of late but happy birthday anyway.

I always think I'm old but when I look at myself from my parents point of view I find how young I am and how long I can still live.