FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Opinions and Reviews of Alienware Systems

cornga56
I have purchased 2 systems from alienware, and have had great success with them. Hardware malfunctions and breakdowns have been none so far except for a defective video card which I don't believe was Alienware's fault to begin with. Their customer service on a scale of 1-10 was maybe a 7. The problem I had with their customer service is that 90% of the time you reach someone who has a thick accent and it makes it very difficult to understand what they are saying at times, especially if you are trying to have something explained that is complex. They do have live chat and other options though, so usually I would start there anyways and call and raise a human if necessary. As for the pricing, I found it to be nominal, not great, not bad, but I definitely ended up gettting better bang for my buck when I customized my system to my needs. When compared to Dell and Gateway (which I was seriously considering) I got more for my money from Alienware, and that's from a totally neutral perspective, geez I must've spent 3 weeks analyzing and re-analyzing all the different details and eventually I settled on the Alienware. So Prices=8 Customer Service=7 Equipment=9.
MarzEz
The price isn't too bad.
there are some laptops from approximately US$2200.
plus, if you want to, you can customize your computer.
pricing=8.5 customization=10.
i've been looking at geting one, but don't have the money to spend on it.
but, great choice.
emem
I think the price IS too bad... I mean, they really have good performance but for what a dough...
misterXY
emem wrote:
I think the price IS too bad... I mean, they really have good performance but for what a dough...

agreed. buy a mac then lmao Boo hoo!
MarzEz
MACS ARE PIECES OF S***!!!
i wouldn't buy a mac if it was the only computer on earth...
unless it ran windows.
i'm using a mac now, because it's the only computer connected to the internet, and it takes 2 or so minutes to boot firefox.
it SUCKS!!!
advice to save your sanity: NEVER, NEVER BUY A MAC.
d_curry_09
Your full or crap. Macs are some of the best computers on the planet.

Maybe if you were smart and read up on some stuff you would know that firefox doesn't run very well on Macs.

Another thing is just saying I'm using a mac right now and it doesn't run well at all means nothing. For all we know your probably running a 300mhz G3. Thats why it takes so long to open the app. and 2mins is an over exagerated.

Personally I think Alienwares are a little overpriced for what you get. Though you are getting a very nice custum case and most of then have the alienware liquid cooling. So I guess the price could even out, but the problem I see is if you want to get a computer that is in your price range you end up getting a basic case. It's kind of there way off suckering you into buying the bigger price tag computer.
misterXY
d_curry_09 wrote:
Your full or crap. Macs are some of the best computers on the planet.

Maybe if you were smart and read up on some stuff you would know that firefox doesn't run very well on Macs.

Another thing is just saying I'm using a mac right now and it doesn't run well at all means nothing. For all we know your probably running a 300mhz G3. Thats why it takes so long to open the app. and 2mins is an over exagerated.

Personally I think Alienwares are a little overpriced for what you get. Though you are getting a very nice custum case and most of then have the alienware liquid cooling. So I guess the price could even out, but the problem I see is if you want to get a computer that is in your price range you end up getting a basic case. It's kind of there way off suckering you into buying the bigger price tag computer.

if you we're aiming at me, watch yourself. i never said anything about them being the best.
Also i said get a mac if you we're going into the video and graphic scene which is why alot use AlienWare... over 5 yrs experince... think i'll know something about graphics and video editing.... Rolling Eyes
ForceRun
Back on topic (If you want a Mac -vs- PC there are other forums dedicated to that), my brother won an Alienware 7100 system from the GeForce Lan 4 in San Fran by winning the Crysis FFA matchs. It is a great system and the 10,000 RPM drive give the system a lot of pep. For a free computer it rocks. As a system to buy, I have alway been a fan of the whitebox way (build it yourself), it doesn't save to much money but you get what you want. The only thing I have to say about Alienware it doesn't seem like they get any OCing or opitmizing on their systems. I would have expected more power from a water cooled Conroe but they have it running at stock, and the SLi 8800 GTXs just arn't setup right or something because my single 8800GT 512MB is only a little behide in over all performance.
MarzEz
1. Where's this mac vs PC forum?
2. it's not a g3 300mhz, it's a g4 400mhz with 782mb of ram
3. i'm not exadurating the loading time.
4. alienware are awesome, and you do get your value for money, espeially when you go to their webpage, customise it and then order it online.
GO ALIENWARE!
Da Rossa
I'd like to hear more opinions about the reliability of ALienware, if it is worth or not, and more about the Alien x Mac dispute. Smile
Arnie
As for the loading time, that's probably Firefox being its good ol' hoggy self. On a Celeron 500 with Xubuntu, it took me over a minute as well.
Da Rossa
Da Rossa wrote:
I'd like to hear more opinions about the reliability of ALienware, if it is worth or not, and more about the Alien x Mac dispute. Smile

Anyone has experience with both Alien and Macs?
datadoc
I have more experience with mac and alienware than I really care to admit. Believe it or not, my very first computer was an apple IIe and yea I have became a computer tech for a living so I know a thing or 2 bout them. Bottom line is my alienware is a dual core, twin sli video cards, water cooled, and a maxed out 4gb of ddr2 ram. I tell you I spent alot of money on this system but I can throw any thing at this and it will just look right back at me and ask for more. You just can't beat alienware systems no matter what others say. Mac Vs Alienware = no contest.

Ask a mac to run a WOW server and see what happens for your selves.
william
Well, I'd just like to say a few things about pricing. Alienwares are overpriced, there's no doubt. However, their pricing seems to have improved and isn't as bad as some other boutique vendors such as Voodoo and Falcon Northwest. But seriously, I would avoid Alienware at all costs due to the horror stories I've heard with their support. When their computers run, great, you've got a sweet machine. However, if there's ever a problem, I wish you luck. Personally, I just stick with custom building. I'll know the machine inside and out, thus solving problems will be made easier.

And a note on their notebooks. Those I'm really against. Why? Overheating. Sorry, but if I head over to Sager, I could grab a notebook based on a Clevo chassis that sports an insane cooling system and at an amazing price. Support is top notch. Give them a call and you're immediately with a live person.

Just my two cents. I don't have enough hands on experience with Alienwares and Macs to make a decent comparison.
ForceRun
Each has it's place, I'm a fan of build it yourself 'whitebox'. But Alienware offers someone who has money to burn, a somewhat effective way to burn it on gaming hardware.
Da Rossa
What about the battery consumption? a m17x with dual 8800M plus core2extreme can let you use for how long?
ForceRun
Just matters on your usage, I'm guessing that overall not more than 4-6 hours.
Craeft
Alienware = overpriced to no end. It's a HELL of a lot cheaper to BUILD yourself a better computer. In terms of OTC computers, yes... Alienware is the way to go. But they're still overpriced to hell and not worth the price they charge at all.
Craeft
d_curry_09 wrote:
Your full or crap. Macs are some of the best boat anchors on the planet.

Maybe if you were smart and read up on some stuff you would know that firefox doesn't run very well anymore.

Another thing is just saying I'm using a mac right now and it doesn't run well at all means it's typical.

Personally I think Alienwares are very overpriced for what you get. Though you are getting a very nice custum case and most of then have the alienware liquid cooling. So I guess the price could even out, but the problem I see is if you want to get a computer that is in your price range you end up getting a basic case. It's kind of there way off suckering you into buying the bigger price tag computer.

fixt
william
Da Rossa wrote:
What about the battery consumption? a m17x with dual 8800M plus core2extreme can let you use for how long?

Since it's new, I haven't seen any battery life measurements yet, but the Dell XPS m1730 with a Core 2 Extreme, and two 8800m GTX cards in SLI gets about an hour. The Sager NP9262 with a desktop quad core and two 8800m GTX cards also gets just over an hour. This is all with normal usage. I would expect the m17x to get about the same amount since it lacks some of the battery features the m15x has, namely the smart bay battery and BinaryGFX.

By the way, I don't see why Alienware is a good company for off the shelf computers. Their reliability and support is mediocre at best. I could think of many other companies that beat Alienware when it comes to off the computers. Velocity Micro is an example, and it's at an easy reach to consumers (since it can be found at some Best Buys).