FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Bios Corrupted?

d_curry_09
I have a computer that is messed up somewhere but I can't figure out where. I haven't done a full dianoises on it but I have never seen anything like this before so I thought I would ask and see if anybody had seen this before.

The computers bios is where I will start. When booting (this is a dell computer) the dell logo has lines going through it. That only miss color the logo where they touch. So the logo is a blue circle of the world but in some parts it has yellow lines going through. Upon entering the bios the bios also has these lines going through it that are miss colored. At first I thought nothing of the bios so I continued to try to boot windows.

As soon as I tried to boot windows it restarts and goes to an unfortunete event has happened screen and says your options of boot windows normally or safe mode etc. The wierd thing is all the letters are messed up. Every other letter is capital so instead of showing "hhhhhhhh" it would show "HhHhHhHh". I tried to do safe mode to access windows but no luck there either it just starts to boot then restarts. I thought it was just windows corrupted so I ran the windows disc and went into the recovery menu and booted into command prompt. This is booted off the CD and still shows the same curroupted letters.

My Hypothisys is that the graphic card is messed up. Not allowing it to show the correct informations the CPU is feeding it. I have a test graphic card but it's not my computer so I can't test it right now.

I would like to hear any other opinions about this problem because like I said I have never seen this before.
misterXY
d_curry_09 wrote:
I have a computer that is messed up somewhere but I can't figure out where. I haven't done a full dianoises on it but I have never seen anything like this before so I thought I would ask and see if anybody had seen this before.

The computers bios is where I will start. When booting (this is a dell computer) the dell logo has lines going through it. That only miss color the logo where they touch. So the logo is a blue circle of the world but in some parts it has yellow lines going through. Upon entering the bios the bios also has these lines going through it that are miss colored. At first I thought nothing of the bios so I continued to try to boot windows.

As soon as I tried to boot windows it restarts and goes to an unfortunete event has happened screen and says your options of boot windows normally or safe mode etc. The wierd thing is all the letters are messed up. Every other letter is capital so instead of showing "hhhhhhhh" it would show "HhHhHhHh". I tried to do safe mode to access windows but no luck there either it just starts to boot then restarts. I thought it was just windows corrupted so I ran the windows disc and went into the recovery menu and booted into command prompt. This is booted off the CD and still shows the same curroupted letters.

My Hypothisys is that the graphic card is messed up. Not allowing it to show the correct informations the CPU is feeding it. I have a test graphic card but it's not my computer so I can't test it right now.

I would like to hear any other opinions about this problem because like I said I have never seen this before.

well if its the graphic card, try using a different bus cables and see if it makes any difference... but after that i don't know thats a bizzare error i've ever encountered!
AftershockVibe
Your description sounds like it's more likely to be hardware fault than anything else. I'd suggest you pull the graphics card out, give it a good dust (careful - don't use something that's going to create static charge!) and put it back in again.
Aiuspaktyn
You can try to shortcut battery for a bios reset...
Bones
I would uspect graphics card as well, although the letters being messed up is really strange. Are you sure the letters ar actually HhHhHh ? or is part of a capital H being cut off and not displayed properly? Just a shot in the dark really, but I think you are on the right track with testing a different video card.

I would tear the system down to the bare essential hardware required to boot and see if the problem is still present. If the problem goes away, then start adding hardware back in, one piece at a time untill the problem comes back again.

Good luck!
Jaan
I just had this problem, this fix might work for you:

Just open up the case, and vacuum everything, then flip the vacuum and turn into a blower, and blow everything as well. make sure you get the vents very clean, there s always alot of dust buildup.

then just check all the connections, and re connect everything.

That usually fixes it.

cheers
d_curry_09
Yeah, I'm sure that it's being displayed wrong. Because when I entered the Recovery console i was able to type stuff in and I just held down the h key and i got HhHhHhHh.

And if you use the symbol keys like ,./;'[]\-= they would work fine but if you used the caps version of it, it would show some weird simple like and alt code symbol or something.

I will be unable to tests this computer again till saturday or sunday so i'm just collecting ideas right now of how to fix it.

But like I said I only managed to do a Software Dianostics and found nothing wrong with the software but I was unable to do a hardware dianostic at the time. (which of course involes stripping the system of all it's components and finding whats the problem component.
cvkien
if your bios corrupted, you will never able to boot to windows boot option. if that is your graphic card problems, you will never able to see words, maybe just some color dot. if you press h key and you got hHhH, then i suggest you check your keyboard. normally, problems happened to your ram, harddisk and graphic card. maybe you can try other harddisk and see how was it. if it is the same, then only try other graphic card, maybe you can borrow from your friends, just for diagnosis. and it still the same, then only go to your motherboard.

but the first thing in my mind is that, you still can boot up, and see the "recovery console" so, i think your graphic card is fine. if me, before i check for hardware, 1st, i'll check my software first. and i won't do recovery console, but straight away format it. or using repair system.
ssthanapati
Lets first list your problems

1) Image messing up
2) Wrong charecters displayed while typing

If that was a problem with the video card then it wouldnt have those capital H. Secondly if it were a problem with the keyboard then those coloured lines wouldnt have come

So now there can b 2 possibilities, either ur hardware has messed up or there is a software problem at low level.

I would suggest you to first take out the battery and leave it for about 15 minutes. Then again try starting the PC after putting in the battery

If that dosent help try putting in ur test graphics card. If that works then try cleaning the contacts of the original graphics card.

If that too fails then I would suggest u to take apart all the hardware including processor ram etc. Leave it that way and remove the battery also. Then reassemble the whole thing after 1 Hr. At first just add the minimum necessary hardware. Also if there are more than 1 HHD then make sure they are arranged in the right priority. This might just work

If that too dosent work ur BIOS may have got corrupted
fadirocks
I know what you're talking about I've seen that number of DELLs at the Computer Labs
We just ignored it and let it run!!! but in your case it looks like your windows has blown into bits too!!!

did you trying to clean your computer yet? if yes there is a possibility of damage to your hardware due poor air circulation which caused collection of junk and bam!! overheating!! yep they have crappy designs

That's why I hate DELL they annoy the crap out of me!! if your system is old get a bat and start smashing it!! ok maybe not smashing it hmm

How about did you try Live Linux on CD like Knoppix, Ubuntu or Mandriva?

do that and see what happens
mrcblake
d_curry_09 wrote:

use this format to update your bios: filename.EXE binfile.BIN /CC/CD/CP/LD/SN/PY/E

cc=clear cmos data after programing
cd=clear dmi data after programing
cp=clear pnp data after programing
ld=destroy cmos checksum and no system halt for first reboot after programing
sn=no original bios backup
py=program flash memory
e=restart to dos when programing is done

note: after restart you must go into bios and reset everything. Laughing
selevan
Hmm.. i would borrow graphic card from friend or someone else and check if its not graphic card... i dont think its bios.
triniDj27
I encountered this very same problem just a couple of days ago, with a dell system.

Your comp. show all the symptoms of a corrupted bios.
In which case, I only have two recommendations:

1. You can remove the CMOS Battery & run it [not recommended, but it works]
2. Replace the mobo. [the costly alternative]

If you choose the run the system without the CMOS battery, It'll just mean that the system will
not have any bios settings and will resort to default settings - every time you turn on your pc. In some cases, you may be required to press the F1 Key on every boot of the system to continue the booting process.
positive_vibes
triniDj27 wrote:
I encountered this very same problem just a couple of days ago, with a dell system.

Your comp. show all the symptoms of a corrupted bios.
In which case, I only have two recommendations:

1. You can remove the CMOS Battery & run it [not recommended, but it works]
2. Replace the mobo. [the costly alternative]

If you choose the run the system without the CMOS battery, It'll just mean that the system will
not have any bios settings and will resort to default settings - every time you turn on your pc. In some cases, you may be required to press the F1 Key on every boot of the system to continue the booting process.

3: Flash BIOS (be careful)

You can find BIOS on driver support pages of most mainstream computers, at their official sites. Using my best friend google.com you can find the proper software and flashing tutorials for your PC. As long as this motherboard is not bad, a new BIOS install should fix this problem. This is a semi-complex process and is not recommended for novice members. However, it is a very fast process and doesn't take a lot of effort.
cherriefalls
Im having a similar problem with my PC.Mine is an iqon computer and on start up the text and codes that come up looked very odd.If i could say they looked like they were in another language then i would.I had fuzzy looking graphics on my sceen at one point and took my pc back to full factory settings.I was hit with blue screen and restarts and a lot more issues,But atm things are ok although on a few occasions my graphics card has stopped working. Device manager told me windows has stopped it due to it having problems..So im gonna guess i need a new graphics card. I looked on www.playtool.com to see what a sceen looks like with graphic card issues and that also sums up my pc.

I think a virus was the almost death of mine.... (Can that happen?) I did over ride my antiviruses advise and updates a program i already had very soon after that i was hit with problems.I got rid of the virus with returning my pc to full factory settings.

Now i just have to decide which graphics card i want O.o ..Where does one start ?