FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much would you spend on a pet??

Are pets becoming too expensive?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
No
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 27

jtayl153
It seems that animals are getting more expensive.

My cat cost 500 dollars (AUS)

What gives

It's not a particually rare breed

Anyone else got this problem.
KatanaSky
Personally, I wouldn't spend $500 on a cat ...and since you mentioned that it's AUS dollars... I think it cost you a bit more.

Cats here are practically free (truly) I mean, you can check out any newspaper here and you will probably find an AD giving away free cat(s) or kitten(s).

...but maybe your cat already has its shots and maybe it's pure bred or something. Not an expert on cats so I'm not too sure but there goes my two cents. Wink
Afaceinthematrix
ummmm... I've gotten all of my pets for free. I rescued one dog from the streets, it had been beaten and was extremely skinny and i got the other one from the pound... that's the cheapest way to go.
ThornsOfSorrow
Besides my $170 chinchilla (bought from a pet store), the most that my family and I have ever spent on a pet is $100. This particular pet was my dog, Jake. We rescued him from a group called "Animal Angels", and while we don't even know what types of dogs his parents or grandparents were, we love him just as much as any purebred. Besides Jake, we have two cats that came to us as strays, and a third that was adopted at a local animal hospital (I believe we paid around $25 for him).

While most adopted pets are not purebreds, it's not impossible to find a particular breed at an animal shelter. Also, I believe there are certain groups dedicated to rescuing certain dog breeds. I'm not sure how much they charge for them, but it has to be less than what the pet stores are charging.

Either way, the price isn't imporant to me. I'd rather adopt a pet than buy one in a pet store due to the fact that pets in shelters and on the streets have a much smaller chance of finding a good home than do those in a store. Unless you really need to have a purebred puppy or kitten, adoption is a better choice.
Drawingguy
I think it depends on what kind of pet you want. If you want a reptile, generally they're more expensive, since they don't breed as often as mammals, and they're just tougher to breed in captivity, so if I were serious about getting some sort of lizard/snake/etc, I wouldn't cringe if it went into the thousand+ range. I mean, you pay for health in a lot of these situations, and you're going to want a healthy pet.
ozziejim
i wouldnt pay 500 for a cat!! LOL
You can just go to the rspca, they basically give them away.

I would.. and have spent that much on a dog however, they just seem so much more worthwhile than a cat! not that i have anything against them...
woundedhealer
The most I've ever paid for a dog is 50. I have rescue dogs. I got my present one as a five year old Pommeranian. The owner had another which had a horrific rta. it lost one front leg and the other front leg was badly broken and in plaster for 3 months. The dog i've now got had been neglected for 4 months by the time I got it, and a lot of her fur was so badly matted it had to be shaved off. This is the one I paid 50 for.

My next dog is likely going to cost more as I'm probably going to get a border collie puppy. I'm going to be training it as my disability assistance dog, so to me it'll be worth every penny I pay for it.
hlavco
I thought this thread would be on vet bills or something. We usually get our animals for cheap, but a few years ago we wound up spending several thousand dollars on healthcare for one of our dogs. Unfortunately, it turned out to be more of a "delaying the inevitable" thing than an actual cure, and we wound up putting him to sleep.
ocalhoun
a $500 cat?
I have a cat and a dog, both gotten for free.
Even horses can be gotten for cheap or even free if you know where to look!
Dean_The_Great
That cat price is ridiculous, as I know several people right now who are trying to give their cats away.

Although pure bred dogs are often that much, and I can't imagine spending that much, considering how much it costs to keep a pet.

And birds? My god! They cost thousands of dollars, but I suppose if you want a pet that can live as long as you, you might as well invest.
quex
Suggestions:

1) Adopt. Always adopt. There are millions of homeless animals out there waiting for you. If you're in America, Petfinder is a great way to start. Dogs, cats, birds, horses, reptiles, farmyard, exotic... ANY kind of animal you want, there is one somewhere that needs you. And for the love of god, NEVER buy from a corner pet store. Most pet stores, despite what they may claim (or fail to mention completely) are still supplied by puppy mills. If you don't know what a puppy mill is, Google it. It's sad and shameful.

2) Unless you're going to show your dog or need a hypo-allergenic pet for your home, don't waste money on purebred animals. As a rule, 2nd or 3rd generation crossbred dogs are healthier and less prone to genetic quirks because they were formed from a wider gene pool. There is some evidence that this is true in cats as well.

2.5) If you absolutely must buy a purebred animal to satisfy yourself, rather than selecting a puppy or kitten from a breeder's litter, it might be wise to contact show trainers who have taken on new animals -- oftentimes, if a dog or cat is not showing well, the trainer may look for a non-showing house to sell it off as a family pet. The reasons for a bad showing can be as simple as having black spots in the wrong place or a nose that is half a centimeter too long, simple faults that don't detract at all from the likability of the dog or cat.

3) If your pet needs medication, buy things online. Get the first scrip from your vet, then do a simple Google search on the drug name to find the lowest price on pills, shots, flea treatments, heartworm preventatives, etc. Many vets will even offer to price match the lowest price you can print out and bring into them from a reliable source.

4) Buy good pet food. The one place you shouldn't cut corners is when you're feeding your animal. The cheapest brand in the 40 pound bag might look delicious and your pet might like it, but brands low in protein and high in junk fodder will eventually wear on the health and longevity of your pet, resulting in high vet bills in the future or an early death. Always consider your animal's size, current weight, overall level of activity, and age when buying pet food.

Best of luck.
ocalhoun
quex wrote:
If you're in America, Petfinder is a great way to start.

That's an wonderful website!
Next time I have a chance, I'll definitely use it.
woundedhealer
hlavco wrote:
I thought this thread would be on vet bills or something. We usually get our animals for cheap, but a few years ago we wound up spending several thousand dollars on healthcare for one of our dogs. Unfortunately, it turned out to be more of a "delaying the inevitable" thing than an actual cure, and we wound up putting him to sleep.

I thought it would be to. The most expensive outlay for my dog is her insurance. I've had her for nearly 5 years and she's never been sick or injured but you can bet that if I cancelled it, I'll get a huge vet bill. The worse part is she's going to need dental treatment soon and that's not covered by her insurance.
quex
woundedhealer wrote:
I thought it would be to. The most expensive outlay for my dog is her insurance. I've had her for nearly 5 years and she's never been sick or injured but you can bet that if I cancelled it, I'll get a huge vet bill. The worse part is she's going to need dental treatment soon and that's not covered by her insurance.

Bravo for getting insurance for your pet. There are so many people who laugh at that idea around here, but when Spot breaks his leg or Fluffy swallows a nail, they sure wish they had it.
carlospro7
over 1000 dollars for a dog is too much. My mom bought a dog a long time ago for 30 dollars. One of the best dogs we ever had.
quex
carlospro7 wrote:
over 1000 dollars for a dog is too much. I my mom bought a dog a long time ago for 30 dollars. One of the best dogs we ever had.

Was it a mutt? I love mutts... got a picture?

And I agree, the prices are way too high... even worse in other countries. The majority of pet shops in Tokyo sell pure-bred puppies of the "popular" breeds for about 3000 USD. Last I checked, miniature poodles, Maltese, and long-haired chihuahuas were all going for 304,000 yen or higher. It's insane.
alyer
I think that there are so many outcast cats and dogs that are need our help!
Me and my wife helps to one of them Smile Hope that it is very lucky now in our flat Smile
jsymac
Our three cat's have come from rescue centres, we just give a donation to help with the running costs, my dog cost a lot, if you think $1000 is too much to pay for a dog I won't say how much in UK pounds I payed Embarassed
taytay
In my personal opinion, if you want a pet, you had BETTER be prepared to spend time and money on when you choose. Some pet's you can't just have for decoration or occasional comfort. You should aways consider any living animal in your household(other than varmint...) as you would a child.

I'm not one up to buying expensive animals either. My sisters Pure bred lab from a champion blood line was 800 dollars. and that was a fine deal. she bought from her school teachers sister and got a 1000 dollar discount... Simply crazy, i know. He's a wonderful dog though! I'm more for adopting an animal that needs some love and care from someone who Does care. Not to impose that ALL adoption animal's are rescued from crude homes or owners...
woundedhealer
Quote:
In my personal opinion, if you want a pet, you had BETTER be prepared to spend time and money on when you choose. Some pet's you can't just have for decoration or occasional comfort. You should aways consider any living animal in your household(other than varmint...) as you would a child.

You are so right. I can only speak for dogs. I know so many people who have got the wrong breed or temprement dog for their needs. And there's many more who shouldn't even have a dog. This is one subject that gets me angry because in the end it is the dog that sufferes, or worse, gets destroyed.
mattyj
jtayl153 wrote:
It seems that animals are getting more expensive.

My cat cost 500 dollars (AUS)

What gives

It's not a particually rare breed

Anyone else got this problem.

Go to the RSPCA, you can get a de-sexed,wormed,vaccinated,micro chipped kitten for $100
quex
woundedhealer wrote:
Quote:

You are so right. I can only speak for dogs. I know so many people who have got the wrong breed or temprement dog for their needs. And there's many more who shouldn't even have a dog. This is one subject that gets me angry because in the end it is the dog that sufferes, or worse, gets destroyed.

QFT. This cannot be said enough.
lethaltriad
wow thats expensive, i've never actually bought pets before. Always had friends that had puppies so whenever I needed new doggies I would just check them for some pups.
Billy Hill
quex wrote:
Suggestions:

1) Adopt. Always adopt.

Tried that, wont do it again. In California, if you tell the adoption agency that your dog will sleep outside they won't let you adopt it.
Idoru
We take kittens from time to time and sell them for around 2000 sek (Swedish money. Don't know what that makes in $, but I think it's
something like $200). It's not pure breed, and some say it's a lot of money. You can find similar cats for about half the price and even less.
The reason we put the tag that high is simply because that's what it costs if you care. They eat high quality food while growing up,
gets vaccinated and marked with a chip and well taken care of. We don't earn much at the end of it all, sometimes even pay more
then we get back, since it matters alot where they come to.

There is also another reason to put the price-tag high. By doing that you know that the buyer have the money it takes to give ones
pet the right care. If something happens, dispite insurance, it can cost a lot. Keeping pets is a luxuary, and one shouldn't do
it if one can't put the money where the heart is.
The-Super-Freak
Well, I don't know about cats, but dogs are getting more and more expensive, but I don't think it's too expensive. I recently bought a dog from the pound, which is a really good place to buy because of the dog are cheap, mostly wormed and are de-sexed free of charge before they leave.
My dog was a purebred beagle and cost $250 [AUS]. I think thats fairly cheap considering that a year ago, someone would've paid $800 or more for him. But most peope don't bother looking at the pound because they think that all dogs put there are viscous and diseased and un-cared for. But in true fact, the dogs are very well cared for at the pound, go through a week or training and assessment before they're available for purchase and are put there in the first place for a variety of reasons, including, their owner moved to a 'no dogs allowed' place/unit or the dog was let out of the house and couldn't be returned to the owner.
But, the pound is getting more and more expensive. 4 years ago, when I bought a dog from the same pound, he was a purebred and virtually the same as the dog I recently bought [even same age!] and he was only $150

But, it's so worth it =)
quex
Billy Hill wrote:
quex wrote:
Suggestions:

1) Adopt. Always adopt.

Tried that, wont do it again. In California, if you tell the adoption agency that your dog will sleep outside they won't let you adopt it.

That's California. The same state that requires plaques outside to say "this building contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer" if there has been smoking allowed in the structure at any time in the past ten years. Just don't tell them your dog will sleep outside... or, better yet, let the dog sleep inside.

Dogs are great footwarmers in bed. XD
bulek
Good for me that I have female cat so it "delivers" to me as many cats as I want Razz
Coen
I'd spent whatever amount I could affort and would be willing to pay. It would depend on what animal I'd be looking for and some other factors too.
Crinoid
While I voted No, it's more like It depends: my pet, grey long hair cat, was adopted from the animal shelter. $50 to cover medical expenses and papers, it's all. The cat is already grown, has fully developed and fully entrenched personality, so there are no surprises (except the early morning vocalizing Laughing ).
ashen
I'll never spend $500 for a pet...
$500 = 1 unit computer Confused

I always found cats for free (usually they're orphan cats) to be adopted (or rescued).
So I just need pay for their food and some other related stuff.
thinkfacility
It seems to me that the main bulk of the payment lies not within the purchase of the pet itself, but instead with the food, medical fees, and other things that come with a pet. For example, a single doctor's visit for some sort of surgery can run you over a thousand dollars.
RedFalcon2631
50 Maybe ? Very Happy
jwellsy
I have a Norweigan Forrest Cat that came from the humane shelter.
I watch the shelter for about 6 years before this guy came through.
After having this one, I can understand why people would pay $700 for a Norwegian Forrest or a Maine Coon. He is twice as big, three times as smart and four times more vocal as any other cat I've ever met.

peeters
i think pets are a waste of money&time...
peeters
and they also smell strange
woundedhealer
peeters wrote:
and they also smell strange

Not neccessarily. I've spelt far worse smells on people than I have on animals

Up until now i've always kept 50 in my bank account for my dogs insurance excess. I've now learnt I need to keep more than that by. Dental treatment isn't covered by insurance and I've just had to pay 146 pounds for dental work. I'm going to make sure i've got about 200 available in the future, although it won't be for dental treatment as the vet told me she shouldn't ever need more dental work done. I'll have to check the insurance policy to see what else isn't covered.

There's one thing i'm pleased about. Shelly is 10 1/2 years old and my disability assistance dog and I was told she was fit to carry on working, so I can wait a bit longer before choosing a new puppy to start training
ocalhoun
^That brings to mind one situation when it might be acceptable to have a big price tag: That is when the animal is highly trained, such as a winning steeplechase horse or a seeing-eye dog...
AFriedman
I definitely have a lot of problems with giving animals any kind of price, high or low. Animals are too much like human beings, in my opinion, to be thought of as being owned. When people pay a lot of money for pets, they're not paying for the animal's life in a way that is necessarily meaningful to the animal.

If I were going to adopt an animal, it would eventually be a cat or a ferret because those animals do their own thing and don't act like they're property. It would NOT be a purebred. I don't like animals that were bred for a special purpose. They tend to be inbred and often have health problems. I like animals that people just took their hands off of and let be. I would probably adopt the animal from the animal shelter, which wouldn't cost that much money anyway.
woundedhealer
AFriedman wrote:
I definitely have a lot of problems with giving animals any kind of price, high or low. Animals are too much like human beings, in my opinion, to be thought of as being owned. When people pay a lot of money for pets, they're not paying for the animal's life in a way that is necessarily meaningful to the animal.

If I were going to adopt an animal, it would eventually be a cat or a ferret because those animals do their own thing and don't act like they're property. It would NOT be a purebred. I don't like animals that were bred for a special purpose. They tend to be inbred and often have health problems. I like animals that people just took their hands off of and let be. I would probably adopt the animal from the animal shelter, which wouldn't cost that much money anyway.

Animals are nothing like human beings, the animals know this, it's people who don't. This is why there are so many pets with behaviour problems. Dogs naturally live in packs, and in their mind, their human family are their pack members.

I agree that too many pets do not have a meaningful life, but that's down to the humans for not providing for their needs.

I only know about dogs and a little about fancy rats. Working dogs have to be the most contented pet dogs on the planet, because they have a purpose. it's very easy to work a dog. not every working dog needs to herd sheep or be an assistance dog, there's loads of other activities for them to do.

All domesticated animals have been bred to make them suitable as pets, there are none who are exactly as they were in their wild state. Ferrets are like dogs, they are happiest when they're working. They need quite a lot of attention as well, and they are smelly if you don't get them neutured. There's a saying, you don't own a cat, the cat own you!!
kerryworkman
Why pay for them when you can just steal someone else's?
Just kidding, I would never steal someone else's pet, that is just wrong. I have never paid much for an animal, usually just shots, or if I am adopting from a shelter, whatever fee's they charge but never more than $100.
NixNox
Well, this is quite the interesting topic...

I would never pay $500 in any country for a cat. Those things are ridiculously easy to breed and- you know the old term "multiplying like rabbits?" Well, my RABBITS have a harder time breeding than the neighbor's queen (female cat)!

Quite frankly, I've lost more batches of kits from my rabbits than she's ever lost kittens. Spite! I even own one orange tom, who is such a sweety and I nursed back from the dead essentially, but I keep him locked up in the house with my other two.
They like it there, for the most part. Unless my dog is terrorizing the place.

And he's a really cool pup. Seven years old and a very rare breed here in the Americans [he's from Korea]. He was bought as a mutt from in front of a grocery store. Not even by us, but by someone who thought he'd be small and lived in an appartment.

But anyway...

All my best pets have been free. My dumbest and most poorly behaved animals have been costly things that my family and I should've never spent our money upon.

The only exception to that rule would be my current "project horse." Prior to him all I'd ever had were Arabian and Quarter Horse mixes. He's a purebred American Saddlebred Paint, three years-old, and a pain in the buttocks.
Basically, he's a spoiled brat. The rest of my crew is WONDERFUL! And none of them cost us more than $2000 and that's because he has papers and is a black and white arab-qh mix. He's a studly man!
gugusm
For my dog: money for food and for hmm... I think that's all Wink Not a lot Smile
meadow1988
I would spend 0 and much of love Very Happy since am pretty poor, all my dogs are puppies from relatives and friends Very Happy
Studio_Roo
Yea, really! We bought a regular, nonrare breed of dog for about $900 and she wasn't even show-quality, no champion bloodlines or anything @.@ The price just skyrockets
woundedhealer
Crinoid wrote:
While I voted No, it's more like It depends: my pet, grey long hair cat, was adopted from the animal shelter. $50 to cover medical expenses and papers, it's all. The cat is already grown, has fully developed and fully entrenched personality, so there are no surprises (except the early morning vocalizing Laughing ).

There can be loads of surprises where animals are concerned. As you're getting early morning vocals I suspect this is a male cat. If so, I hope you've had him neutered. This isn't only to stop him mating, but also to keep him safe.

My husband had 2 cats when we married, one young male and one older female. The tom was a typical unneutered male, and when he broke his leg the vet said it was probably caused by a car when he was roaming. He recommended neuturing while he was under anesthetic. There was an unexpected outcome to this - as soon as his leg had healed he moved out and went to live with another tom cat. Confused
xboxrocks
600$ max for a hunting trained dog i guess, but i have a cute in side dog paid like 200 for her.
georgeodowd
As a horse owner, I think I win this one Wink

I spend $7000 a year just on board - then there's feed, supplements, shots, worming, tack, horse clothing (my horse gets at least 2-3 blankets a year at $100 a pop), and of course there's the price of a truck and trailer, gas for the truck, maintenance, insurance, .... the list goes on.

No wonder people call it the sport of the elite. Except... for a good many of us, we're no longer elite after we spend all our money on our horses. *sigh*
jwellsy
$1000 for a good hunting dog that's well started is not un-reasonable at all.

$750 for a Norweigen Forest Cat or a Main Coon is understandable too.
jabce85
depends on the pet, but with what i currently make i can get a couple gold fish.... but even with all the money in the world, I don't think i'd spend more than a grand on a pet..... unless that is, a clone would qualify as a pet.....? ha
Battle_Off
Drawingguy wrote:
I think it depends on what kind of pet you want. If you want a reptile, generally they're more expensive, since they don't breed as often as mammals, and they're just tougher to breed in captivity, so if I were serious about getting some sort of lizard/snake/etc, I wouldn't cringe if it went into the thousand+ range. I mean, you pay for health in a lot of these situations, and you're going to want a healthy pet.

very true, cause If you go to a local pound, the young healthy animals (puppies and kittens, and much more expensive, however the much older animal and the animals with diseases or broken limbs etc, are much cheaper!
imera
In case I can't find the dog I want cheap I am willing to pay for it, I know which breed I would want, but for cats I would take anyone
aipranch
Animals of any sort are expensive~unless you Love them!
Laughing I have several horses and right now hay is expensive. Horses are simply here to stay in my life. The benefits outweigh the cost. Dogs are indispesable in the country where I live because of various predators. They give me peace of mind to know they are play along side my kids. Animals are the gift that keeps giving all year long. Wink
torboxz
For some reason, people do buy cats at unreasonable price. I have a cat and it's free and a beautiful one and as a matter of fact, it's a Siamese cat with blue eyes. She's in a bad shape when wondering on my backyard. After two weeks of good meal and bath, she's gorgeous. I agree that the cost of keeping pet kept increasing but be creative. I never fed my cat any of the 'engineered' food. I give her fresh fish, and fish is cheap at my place. Oh ya, don't fry the fish, oil is bad for cats.
Tphilakone
I used to sped time and money to my old pet but now im not anymore i have no time to take care it and i dont have a pet
mediadar
jwellsy wrote:
After having this one, I can understand why people would pay $700 for a Norwegian Forrest or a Maine Coon. He is twice as big, three times as smart and four times more vocal as any other cat I've ever met.

My weggie just died. We have had him from the time he was a baby. I agree with everything you just said, oh and did you know, Norwegians are the only cats that can climb down a tree head first. The one thing I would stress is that if you want a pet, specifically a dog or a cat, don't buy it from a pet store. Pet stores help to promote puppy mills, try adopting from a rescue or shelter. If you want that certain breed and can't wait, find a reputable breeder, after all, you get what you pay for.

MD
sulavaryal
i have a dog. I did not spend money on this one in fact i have never spent any money in buying one.
they came from my family friends. Very Happy
bobnorth
jwellsy wrote:

your cat looks much better than mine i got mine free from a woman at a farm giving them away
OpposableThumbs
I agree with all the people who have said that they would prefer adopted pets; it's kinder and probably better for the gene pool to adopt a mutt.
mexican
i voted yes because i my family just finish buying a talking parrot for 800 and the original price is over 1800 i think its to much
nigam
thats too much to cost you for just a cat or kitten. here in my country, we saw cats everywhere in the sidewalk, parks, beaches, stores and etc... I would rather buy a pure breed dog rather than a cat but not as expensive as you bought.
An1vad
We've inherited all our pets. My sister's pavement special she rescued from anti-cruelty league, who destroyed her garden & pool. Wouldn't say his capable of such destruction by just looking at this teeny dog. Inlaw's dog after his death (inlaw's that is) Cat who decided to take up residence. He scratched on door & never left. There's tonnes of animals about just begging for homes.

They've definitely fallen into the butter. Have own room with futon bed/couch. Designated digging patch in garden, regular grooming/ baths & walks. Lab had displaced hip op as a puppy & now suffers from Arthritis, also had to have special pancreas diet, lacked the ability to produce a certain enzyme to digest his food, common to his breed. Little dog has to be constantly watched, has unerring ability to get into trouble. Cat is bi-polar, either bullies anyone & everyone or most affectionate thing on paws, whichever mood takes him.
la_Duchess
My cute little pup was $1000. I have a chihuahua. I love him.
pho3nixsky
I wouldn't spend too much, i'd try to find one of those giveaway puppy 'stalls' or 'farms' that friends or family offer.
evilgeniuself
My family used to help an animal "foster" system that would take strays and abused animals and find them homes. After it became too difficult to keep animals that would only stay for a short while (and people asking for the pets that were actually ours), we still had the habit of adopting strays and animals that needed a home, usually when an owner moved. We have far less animals than we used to now....
Chinmoy
yup. Pets are not only costly, they are hard managing also..
soljarag
the cost of the pet isn't that big of deal... its all the cost throught their life.... sure, if you spend $1,000-$1,500 to buy a pet you may think thats alot...

but even if you get a free pet, when they get old they can easily cost that each year
SBCBC33
For dogs, up to $1000 each. I've spent more money than that in the past on crap I'd consider much more insignificant. $1000 for 10-14 years of happiness and joy the animal will bring to many? Worth every penny!