FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Everything freezes; even BIOS

Jaan
I don't know what the trouble is. What could I do?
It's an IBM Thinkcentre. I can't even boot into anything since it freezes in the middle of booting.

Thanks.
Diablosblizz
Computer specs, please. Ram, processor speed, ect ect.
misterXY
what you can do is be descriptive a little more Rolling Eyes
Jaan
ATI 128mb video card: radeon x700 series
1.5gb ram
pentium 4 @ 3.4 ghz

Anything else?
knullbar
overheated motherboard? cables in wrong positions?

might be a few things that causing it.. check it out
Diablosblizz
knullbar wrote:
overheated motherboard? cables in wrong positions?

might be a few things that causing it.. check it out

For the motherboard, check if your fan is still running. Just open up the case and check if it is running.

For the cables, if your referring to hard drive cables, then that would display an error. That wouldn't freeze your computer.
brokenadvice
What is the last thing it displays before freezing? Text, or the windows startup screen?
carlospro7
is your computer overclocked?
Jaan
No not overclocked.

Solved the issue; it was a hardware problem. I don't know specifics, most likely overheating, there was lots of dust when I opened it up. I just vaccuumed and re connected everything. I suspect the video card.

Purely hardware issue.

Cheers!
Kelvin
I would consider that an overheating problem cause if it was hardware, even after vacuumning it, it will still not work. It's always a good practice to keep your computer components free of dust buildup by vacuuming the components or dusting them off regularly. For notebooks, always make sure the fan chasis is clear of dust. If your cooling fan is starting to give you problems and making funny noises, then it's best to check out the dust buildup. You'll be amazed how much dust actually got into that comp of yours in just a few months of use depending on your surrounding and environment.
d_curry_09
yeah dust is a huge issue with comptuers as it doesn't allow the heat to escape the heatsink so the heat sink fails it's job. Try to clean it out once every month or 2 months. My computer has a few expensive parts in it like the 8800GTX so I keep all the dust out of my useing dust filters the cover the intake fans on it.
misterXY
d_curry_09 wrote:
yeah dust is a huge issue with comptuers as it doesn't allow the heat to escape the heatsink so the heat sink fails it's job. Try to clean it out once every month or 2 months. My computer has a few expensive parts in it like the 8800GTX so I keep all the dust out of my useing dust filters the cover the intake fans on it.

that's actually a smart idea, but doesnt it also lag its cooling?
triniDj27
Thanx for the tips guys. But I followed the thread & thought it would have been an issue with

1. The HDD
2. The CPU Fan.

Shows I could be wrong though..

thanx again